mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New to MTB, interested in AM

Hey all,

Rook to mtb here, coming from a bmx background and ride mostly local trails consisting of short climbs/descents/flowing singletrack, and some dirt jumps mixed in.

I ended up with a Jamis Dragon 29 which to my understanding is a more XC style bike, but i see myself evolving into a more Trail/AM style of riding if that makes sense..

Im mainly looking for advice in either keeping this bike servicable in that role or making necessary changes to it to ride it that way in the long term (without breaking my teeth). Is the geometry too jacked up to a point (72 deg HT angle currently) that im better off saving for a more purpose frame?

Let me know what y'all think. Thanks for the time.

-Marco

mtbr member
    I think you'd be better served saving up for a new frame. If you find a 29er frame with good angles, you could swap most everything over.

But ride the frame you have now and enjoy the hell out it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the input, thats what I figured. Ill definitely ride this frame for the time being, till its time for bigger and better things.

mtbr member
    have you ridden something smaller than 29" wheels? try it out before committing to a new 29" frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    have you ridden something smaller than 29" wheels? try it out before committing to a new 29" frame.
    I've ridden friend's 26" bikes briefly and I do like the mobility/flickability for what it's worth. But I like how I can float the 29 over rough stuff too.

mtbr member
    This is just my opinion and nothing more. Take it for what it is. But experience will allow you to float over the rough stuff on a 26er and give you that mobility as well. I have a bmx background and every time I've been on a 29er it feels like a tank on rails. I say if you are just getting started don't focus on upgrading your bike just yet. Go out and ride the crap out of that bike until you notice it's holding you back. Then start swapping bikes with your buddies or go out and rent a few times to really get a good idea of what you like about each bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Sorry for the lapse,

took the bike out to one of the rougher local trails again and thought about all the pros/cons of the bike vs. my riding. Lots of roots/loose rocks and sandy soil. It does feel big, and has a tendency to understeer coming into a corner a little. But when the trail smooths out and opens up it comes alive, but this isnt why i ride.

So ive been looking around at some of the offerings from Yeti, Santa Cruz, Ibis, etc.. to see what's good in this segment. Mind you, im not looking to replace a totally working bike. Just planning out a future build path..

Two frames that grabbed me in terms of what an all mtn bike should do are the SC Heckler, and Yeti 575. Only thing im not sure about is that it looks like most of SC's new offerings are in 27.5" wheel only.

ETA: Knolly Endorphin?

Thanks
    Last edited by marco_g; 09-10-2013 at 10:59 AM.

EDR
    The 575 is now 27.5'' going forward. Endorphin and Yeti SB66 are great (26'') bikes if you have trails around that can get the most out of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Update:

Ended up grabbing a second hand 2013 Endorphin frame to keep me busy over the winter. Thinking of a Pike in 150 for the front end and probably some used race face cranks. Leaning towards setting it up as 1x10.

Any specific wheel/hub combos to keep a look out for that would serve well on an AM/trail bike? Any other feedback/advice would be appreciated.

-thanks

mtbr member
    My go to wheel hub combo is Stans Flows with Hope proII EVO hubs. I always use brass nipples as the aluminum ones have failed me a few times.

And 1x is clearly the way to go. Also a dropper post and 710+ wide bars is a must.