Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New MRP AMg

mtbr member

New MRP AMg

Just wondering if anyone is using this new guide from MRP in conjunction with a 1x10 set up and a clutch rear derailleur? If yes any thoughts?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have the mrp Lopes on a 1x10 with a xt clutch and I absolutely love it

Auburn Bike Works
    I have the Lopes also with SRAM Type 2. It is awesome!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    im using the AM guide on my 12' stumpy evo expert carbon w/ XO type 2 med. cage.....super quite thru rough!!!!! only issue for me is I cant seem to get chain line perfect so chain doesnt rub on the bottom skid plate in the top 2 gears of rear cass... tends not to be a prob when climbing rough hills cuz the susp. is saggin enough that the chain doesnt sit on the beveled part of the skid plate....all other cogs down from that...its silent as can be

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ^^ I rub a very very little bit on the upper guide with my 2 smallest gears that I could never adjust it out but I never notice it

mtbr member
    Just about to fit AMG guide with Zee Rear clutch will report back

mtbr member
    Cool I'm excited to hear the report as I have the Zee rear der.

mtbr member
    OK been for the first couple of rides with the MRP AMG and it really performs well
    Its light, quiet and just gets on with the job
    Felt great combined with the clutch mech on my local rocky DH.
    I have a tiny amount of rub in the lowest gear but does not hinder pedalling
    Looks the business in white too

How do I paste a photo on here?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Using two AMG setups, both with SRAM clutch rear mechs.

Well, one is a Micro guide with the back roller part of the lower guide bit cut off, in effect making it an AMG.

Works very well, is quiet, and I've had no issues with chain drop. I'd imagine the soon to come XX1 clone rings from some aftermarket companies will make things even better.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I'm glad to hear it works well. Mine should be here soon

mtbr member
    installed the new MRP AMg today and went out for a ride and it worked perfectly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New MRP AMg-photo-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FROGLEEK View Post
    Just about to fit AMG guide with Zee Rear clutch will report back
    I'm probably going for pretty much the same setup (32t with 11-36t and Zee mech), so please do report back. Well, I'll be using an old G2 micro with the lower roller removed and some of the backplate filed off - looks like this is essentially what the AMG is.

EDIT: looks like I stopped scrolling ad the ad-break! Good to hear things work well and that my plan for a modified Micro will work.

mtbr member
    so is anyone having dropped chain issues with this setup?

My lower pulley on my Lopes just crapped out and I'm thinking that if the type 2 can do a good job of keeping the chain on the ring, I might just cut off the guide's pulley mount altogether and run it as a top only guide.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Auburn Bike Works
    It won't work as well as you would hope, at least it didn't for me. I would add in a Race Face narrow wide ring and then it should be golden.

mtbr member
    what didn't work well for you exactly? I'm running an NSB direct mount that has yet to drop the chain, but i was using a Lopes chain guide. Last ride, i took the broken tension pulley off the bottom of the guide, and it seemed to work just fine as only a top guide. I understand the concept of the narrow-wide chainrings, but I guess I fail to see how it would help me more than running a top guide to keep things in place.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've been running the AMG with a normal single chainring and Zee clutch mech all summer on my AM bike in Chamonix (very rough) and have dropped one chain. I'm sold.

Meanwhile a friend here has a narrow-wide chainring with an XT clutch mech and normal bash guard - he hasn't dropped a chain at all even with the clutch switched off. Take from that what you will.

usually cranky
    something i have been thinking over: is there any point to a narrow/ wide ring with a full guide? i say no but maybe i am overlooking something?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    something i have been thinking over: is there any point to a narrow/ wide ring with a full guide? i say no but maybe i am overlooking something?
    Not in my experience (see above). And from how my friend's setup has been working (see above, again), I'd say any two of clutch mech, top guide or thick/thin ring is plenty security for AM riding.

That said, if you need to buy a new chainring anyway you might as well go thick/thin if you don't mind the extra cost.

%$#$*!
    AMG works great. I've used it with a Zee clutch RD. I've just recently installed a narrow/wide chainring and taken off the AMG and still no chain drops. So far so good, but time will tell...

mtbr member
    Trying out a 30T narrow/wide as a 1x9 (11-34). Using a standard RD (SLX, long cage) and have dropped a few chains on high speed chatter, braking bump chunk. Could use losing another link, but before I jump into a pricey drivetrain upgrade (10-sp, clutch RD) I wanted to try a guide. Any suggestions for the 30T? (Stuck needing a BB mount) Would a top only suffice?

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by trojan08 View Post
    Trying out a 30T narrow/wide as a 1x9 (11-34). Using a standard RD (SLX, long cage) and have dropped a few chains on high speed chatter, braking bump chunk. Could use losing another link, but before I jump into a pricey drivetrain upgrade (10-sp, clutch RD) I wanted to try a guide. Any suggestions for the 30T? (Stuck needing a BB mount) Would a top only suffice?
    Losing some links will help. Mrp 1x BB guide should work, but your chainline will be altered slightly. May or may not make a difference depending on your set up.

Blue sky has a Zee RD for $75. BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano Zee M640 Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur 10 Speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm in the process of building up a new bike and wondered if anyone else had some input on running the AMg with a narrow-wide chainring and clutch derailleur. I've got an XT Shadow+ and a Wolf Tooth Components 30T chainring I'll be using. I'm thinking the XCG or AMg, but not sure what option is best. I'm not sure I'd need the top guide on the AMg but am worried the XCG will be "too big" since its spec'd to protect at 36T.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    I'm thinking the XCG or AMg, but not sure what option is best. I'm not sure I'd need the top guide on the AMg but am worried the XCG will be "too big" since its spec'd to protect at 36T.
    I'd go AMg personally. The weight difference is negligible between the two and the upper guide isn't "hurting" anything. No added noise, drag, or anything else - just added insurance against a derailment. Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Any fit issues with linkages on particular frames you're aware of Noah?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    I'm in the process of building up a new bike and wondered if anyone else had some input on running the AMg with a narrow-wide chainring and clutch derailleur. I've got an XT Shadow+ and a Wolf Tooth Components 30T chainring I'll be using. I'm thinking the XCG or AMg, but not sure what option is best. I'm not sure I'd need the top guide on the AMg but am worried the XCG will be "too big" since its spec'd to protect at 36T.
    Try running the narrow-wide chainring before installing the chainguide to see if there is even a problem with chaindrop. It may be all you need. I've had zero drop since installing one. Keep in mind that some frame manufacturers won't warrant a frame when the ISCG mounts are used to attach a bash guard, assuming that's how you will attach it. Put a bash guard on the crank which is stronger. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast