mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New Mountain Biker help me find the perfect FS for ~$1500

Ok So many many years ago I had a cheap Trek front suspension and used to run trails and do some climbs. Well the next summer was college and well just never got back into it.

I have a condo at Sunday River in Maine. Normally used for skiing all winter. Well now they have mountain biking in the summer so im going up in 2 weeks for the weekend (fri sat sun). Its $70/per day for a FS. So im looking at $210 just for the weekend. So I said to myself well I bet I can get a decent bike for around 800. And I can justify it because ill save the $210. Well to describe myself in a few words, either you buy the best or you have the worst. Obviously $800 doesnt get you more than a walmart bike.

So then ive slowly been upping my limit. I was looking at the motobecane for 1299 but it didnt have the best reviews. I also found a Cannondale Rize for 1050. But i Think I really like the Cannondale Rize 4 or the GT force 2.0 which I think was around 1550. I really like the cannondale rize 3 but im skeptical of the silly looking lefty fork and its more than I want to spend. If it had the fork of the Rize 4 I think its the exact bike im looking for.

So I dont really know anything about MTB's, ive been reading forums review ect for about 2 weeks now. So I have came to some conclusion as to what I think I want. SRAM parts, settling for Shimano, and Fox front and rear suspension. All while keeping the bike as light as possible. Im 6'1 250 so im guessing an XL frame (20-22?).

The next question that comes up is 29er or 26. I really like the idea of 29ers but it seems there are much fewer options and the ones I like are usually out of my range.

I really prefer to buy at a LBS, 1) because I like to support local stores 2) when I have a problem I cant drive to my closest etailer and say "bike broke please fix ". I worked at a local paintball gun store and for many years fixed all the crappy online guns that came into the store at a premium, when all the loyal customers that bought their stuff from my store I would just fix for the bubble. But unfortunately when talking about a bike with a MSRP of 2000-2500 its hard to get a LBS to sell it to you for around 1500 like etailer will.

My last concern is what I plan to do with the bike. Im planning for atleast a 3 day trip of DH before the end of the season, but I also want this to be a do all bike. I have friends that ride the bike paths a few times a week, I got a few friends that do some nearly flat off road trails through the woods, or sometimes I just want to ride it on the street to work.

Can I find a bike that will do all that? Im pretty sure I want a full lockout on the suspension to ride on the street, and swap out the tires for street. Am I looking for too much and should I skip the FS to get a hardtail instead? I do think id be much happier with a FS because I really just think they are better. Agian but I dont really know much besides the fact that more expensive = better in most cases.

This is ultimately what I plan to explain to my LBS and hopefully when I get a bike this week they will help me pick the right one. But I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or opinion. Im looking for the best bike at the best deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    here is some of the things I was looking at

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...00_20000_53000

for 1529

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...ductId=1074187

for 1079 which is super budget minded, I still need a helmet and all the other required accessories.

Kona Dawg
    http://www.rei.com/product/784914
    I beleive this is the bike sunday river rents so If I dont get a bike this is what I will be using and will get a good feeling if its the bike for me. But I would much prefer to have my own bike before I get there

Cannondale Rize 4
    http://www.rei.com/product/777318

I feel in love with this bike reading reviews and looking at pictures, And when I saw a similar thread to mine where the dude ending up choosing this bike I think it was an omen and it pretty much set on it now. Of course its more than I want to spend and I still want to take it for a ride at the LBS

I was looking at these 2 motobecanes beause they seem to have good parts and the 60% of retail is enticing. Except im pretty sure the $3500 list price should really be like $2000
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ompro_dsIX.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...elite_ds09.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you can get them for around your price range the diamondback mission 1 or the giant trance x3 are both good bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

back on the horse
    i just got the force 3.0 from performance and i haven't been happier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    so one of the important thing no one really answer was, would any bike in this class ride ok on a flat bike path?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Get the trek fuel ex 5 or 6, no question. Fantastic suspension, fully sorted after years of development, top quality frame, good components for the money. Lifetime frame warranty. Geometry is perfect for trail/all montain.

There's no app for this.

top rated by

a few magazines is the Giant Trance. The Trance 4 is $1500 MSRP. No, it won't bob on the flat. Next best might be the Stumpjumper FSR, but that'll blow your budget.

Some reviews call it "heavy", the US site has no weights listed, however the one from the UK lists the bike at ~ 28lbs. That's about as light as an AM bike gets for less than say $2500 or so.

Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by specv
    so one of the important thing no one really answer was, would any bike in this class ride ok on a flat bike path?

Both the giant trance and the diamondback mission are set up so they wont have any pedal bob

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So I decided on a '09 Mission 1 for 1650. Then come to find out DB no longer has any in stock. In a bit of desperation I said f'it and get the Mission 2. Well guess what DB is out of those too.

So now Im looking at the '10 Giant Reign 2 or the '09 Reign 1. Both are WELL beyond what im looking to spend

But I certainly have a better idea on what im looking for
    Maestro suspension
    Fox 6 inch front and rear suspension
    SRAM components

So my bikes are certainly more limited now.

What I need now is to find somwhere to sell me a '09 Reign 1 for ~$2200

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ebay. I got lucky and found a local dealer auctioning off a new '06 reign 2 (better spec'd than the 09 reign 2 in some regards). When they originally had it on the floor it was going for 2K. I got it for 1025 OTD. Not bad...local ebay!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Back in 2001 I bought a used 2000 Specialized Enduro Comp for $1000 and rode it for 3 years without doing a thing to it. I finally replaced it last year. I'd look for a more recent Enduro if I were you...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd keep your eye on craigslist as well. A few years ago I bought a barely used (never off-road) year old Stumpjumper Comp for $700 under list price. It was totally mint and had been ridden for less than 100 miles on the road. Also, in the spring of 2008 I bought a brand new '08 Trek Fuel EX8 for $1500 when the MSRP was $2400 or so.

Point being, deals can certainly be had on CL if you look around enough. I would not hesitate to buy a one or even two year old MTB via CL. Just make sure you know someone who can check out the bike with you since you said you really don't know a ton about bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0