mtbr member

New Lyrik RC2 Mission Control with the flood gate option

Hi All,

I recently got a new RockShox Lyrik DPair with the mission control that has the floodgate, (lock out).

My old lyrik had the DH specific mission control that did not have the floodgate option.

With this new fork, on massive drops I can feel the fork "bottom out".

I have tried to add air and it still has the feeling of the bottoming out although the travel never even got close to ramming my oring to the top of the stanchion.

I never felt any bottom out on my older lyrik that did not have the floodgate adjustment to lock it out.

I started thinking last night, I recall seeing a video describing how to remove the floodgate that will allow more oil to flow more freely thru the mission control system. I'm thinking that with that disk that is supposed to lock it out, is impeding oil flow and giving the feeling of the fork bottoming out as the oil cant get thru fast enough.

Here is the link to the vid so you can see what I am talking about, doesn't it look as if the part that gets removed can potentially impede free flow of oil?

Technical Tuesday: RockShox Totem and Lyric Mission Control Damper Mod - Pinkbike

If the link doesn't work, just Google "lyrik floodgate mod"

Has anyone felt this similar bottom out and tried to remove the floodgate and it went away?

mtbr member
    The floodgate removal improves small bump sensitivity but won't do what you're asking. Just get the DH damper and rebound system - FAR better for the Lyrik, as you already know! You can typically sell your damper to someone just running a Lyrik R (post on the Speshy forum as a lot of Enduros came that way).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member

Re: New Lyrik RC2 Mission Control with the flood gate option

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    The floodgate removal improves small bump sensitivity but won't do what you're asking. Just get the DH damper and rebound system - FAR better for the Lyrik, as you already know! You can typically sell your damper to someone just running a Lyrik R (post on the Speshy forum as a lot of Enduros came that way).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Thanks man, at this point, I'm not sure what is causing that bottom out feeling, my old fork was the solo air, this one is the 130/160mm version. Maybe the new air spring is causing it?

The rebound system is the same with both mission control, dh and standard version. The main difference is the flood gate, and some more minor stacking stuff.

I will try to remove flood gate and hit my 6 foot drop again and see if I feel it bottom out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity, have you lowered the pressure all the way and compressed the fork to make sure it's really the damping that's causing that? That doesn't sound to me like a symptom of excessive LSC. I'd guess there's either oil in the lowers or too much oil in the damper that's preventing it from compressing all the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I'm in the opposite boat with my RC2DH. I set the fork at 160, 30% sag and can't seem to use all the travel. If I take the air out there's 15mm that's left on the fork. I need to press hard just for it it bottomw out with our any air in it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you lowered the pressure all the way and compressed the fork to make sure it's really the damping that's causing that? That doesn't sound to me like a symptom of excessive LSC. I'd guess there's either oil in the lowers or too much oil in the damper that's preventing it from compressing all the way.
    Sure, just a little lower air pressure, I can run the fork lowers clear to the crown on my big drop. I would always set my sag/air pressure so that I use all my travel one out of five times off that drop.

I know the fork uses all travel when my pressure is right. I just feel like it's bottoming out, even when it doesn't use all the travel when the impact is very big and fast.

(I know there is a joke in there but I'm not gonna dig for it)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator8 View Post
    The rebound system is the same with both mission control, dh and standard version. The main difference is the flood gate, and some more minor stacking stuff.

I will try to remove flood gate and hit my 6 foot drop again and see if I feel it bottom out.

Not true - the standard version uses an internal self-contained system. The DH version does away with the entire inner "tube" and uses the entire inside of the stanchion requiring far more oil volume (which is a good thing) and the rebound piston is much larger. That's why the floodgate removal is just a stop-gap measure and not a true fix.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I just looked at the Lyrik service manual, the oil levels are identical for both mission control variants.

And according for the parts list, there is one rebound damper for motion control, one for mission control/mission control DH and one for 2011 and 2012 Lyrik 180 RLR Plus.

I h ave not had a chance to do this mod yet but plan to before my next ride.

mtbr member

Ok, I removed the flood gate I plan on going to duthie tomorrow for that 6 foot drop. I'll play with it and let you know if I still feel fork bottoming out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mission control lyriks have the dual flow rebound. This means that the rc2L fork that you have would get the dual flow rebound.

mtbr member

Okay so I removed the floodgate from my fork and rode it today and it still has the bottom out issue. I played with air pressure, high speed and low-speed compression settings, and it still feels like it bottoms out even though it does not. Could there be too much oil in it I wonder?

I'm going to have to take it back to shop.

mtbr member
    Like I said... it (removing flood gate) doesn't help with that. I use mine for FR use predominantly and the best thing you can do (if you plan same kind of use) is chuck the air assembly and go with a firm (or extra firm depending on your weight) coil. The DH damper is inexpensive and certainly can't hurt either. I've been down that exact path (as have many others on the DH forum) but what do I know?

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member

Like I said... it (removing flood gate) doesn't help with that. I use mine for FR use predominantly and the best thing you can do (if you plan same kind of use) is chuck the air assembly and go with a firm (or extra firm depending on your weight) coil. The DH damper is inexpensive and certainly can't hurt either. I've been down that exact path (as have many others on the DH forum) but what do I know?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Thanks for your input, I never had this issue when my lyrik was solo air, I'm not actually bottoming out the fork, it just feels that way on big hits.

mtbr member
    Okay, well check the splash oil in the lowers - should be 15ml per side (use syn motor oil - works better than 15w as it sticks to the bushings better). Also check that the bottom out bumpers are in tact and not torn - happens if you bottom a lot.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    (if you plan same kind of use) is chuck the air assembly and go with a firm (or extra firm depending on your weight) coil.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    By the way, are you calling me fat?? Im not fat, Im just big boned!!!

mtbr member
    Lol, the standard red "medium" spring is simply too weaksauce to do drops with. I go 175 and the firm is the ticket for me!

Have FUN!

G

mtbr member

Roger that, I would like to go to coil, but I really don't mind the feel of air, and as I'm already riding a33.5lb bike! I don't want any heavier.

I generally set my air pressure to hit full 170mm one of five times of a six foot drop top nearly flat. My trust in today's sour forks remains strong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Fwiw, dual position air and a coil is about the same weight. Coil is much better on that fork. But RS solo air is a nice spring.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Fwiw, dual position air and a coil is about the same weight. Coil is much better on that fork. But RS solo air is a nice spring.
    Yeah that's what I had before, 170 mm solo air and it was bad ass!