Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,900 of 2211
    monkey
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Not sure what to call it, but the pedal bob most people know is the bike sinking into travel with each pedal stroke. Guess I'd call it "topping" or something...

I bring up the HT thing because I found it odd that you don't feel the ST angle changing on steep climbs. Perhaps there's so much going with the back wheel movement that it's lost on you right now?

I didn't notice any crazy steering change... I did notice on steep climbs was that instead of creeping up the nose of the seat to get weight forward etc (current/most bikes), the saddle made a natural, subtle shift forward keeping a comfortable relation to crankset and subsequent less laboring. What it did was no less then amazing though... that's aside from benefits in other situations
    I take your point about not needing to get forward on the saddle so much. However I just return to the thought that if the shock isn't extending beyond sag THERE CAN BE NO GEO CHANGE. Happy to be proved wrong, like I said...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashlings View Post
    I've found small bump sensitivity disappearing with small increases in shock pressure. I initially ran 210psi to get 30% sag and found it super plush but with lots of pedal bob and none of the geo change I had been expecting. Upping the shock to 220psi loses the sensitivity but improves the pedalling.

About that geo change, are people noticing the shock extending out past sag under hard pedalling? My understanding, which might be wrong of course, is that to steepen the angles this has to happen. My shock never extends past sag while riding so it must be sitting at about 64.5 degrees head angle the whole time, as static angle is 66. I am quite prepared to concede this might be setup all wrong, but if so I could really use some advice from you guys.
    My set up at the moment is:
    Weight 100Kg
    Positive pressure 215psi
    Bladder 200psi
    2 spacers positive side of can
    Hi mashlings, First off, I do believe you are running way too soft. At 100kg, you should be running at least 220psi. Also, you mention two spacers in the can. Normally, I will say that is not progressive enough. Try 5.

Combine the 2 and you will be running too low in the travel for most circumstances.

As for the extension, the best way to visibly observe that is to find a steep, first gear climb that you are giving near full power. Preferably paved or smooth so you don't have to worry about bumps.

mtbr member
    I take your point about not needing to get forward on the saddle so much. However I just return to the thought that if the shock isn't extending beyond sag THERE CAN BE NO GEO CHANGE. Happy to be proved wrong, like I said...
    Your shock should be extending to topped from sag under hard efforts. If not, there's an issue like... perhaps... your negative chamber is overcharged/port clogged and not allowing topout.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have only rode around the block and I could definitely feel mine stiffen. The suspension as well, but I had to be sitting and pedalling with constant torque on something at least somewhat steep. Standing up it felt as "active" as my Horst link Enduro. I'm curious - Well I"m curious about a lot of things. but no sense speculating until I get to the bush.

Been waiting 13 months to try this out and now I am waiting at least til the end of the week for a new CSU.

Really want to try this with a 27.5" wheel as well - I have 2 of the damn things but they are both 157 as they are DH wheels. Drives me crazy ! They will bolt in for mockup but won't ride of course.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    Watch that shite. The internet engineers will make something bad happen. Who knows what!?!?!?
    True. They'll mis-read my comparison of bar-to-seat relationship on my own personal bikes and my look at why I felt like I fit perfectly on the Tantrum as some kind of commentary that the designs are the same. Internet engineers are good for coming up with crap like that.

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Now we are getting somewhere, thanks Brian and eatsdirt. I initially had 5 spacers in the positive side but removed a few as I like a linear spring. Thinking about it though I should put them back. I had a bit of bother initially with the shock sucking down into the frame and not allowing me to remove the can, had to phone local DVO service place and ask how to do it. Maybe there is a problem with neg spring. I'll start from scratch again and set it up really carefully following your advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I do have another set of dropouts drawn up. Lengthen the CS and lower the BB. why lengthen the CS? That monster truck 29" wheel has to go somewhere at full travel. i chose shorter CS/higher BB for the first compromise, for the reasons listed. But I feel the full on 29er fr/rr could benefit from a lower BB/slacker rake/longer CS set of dropouts.
    I'm a buyer when these are ready. Its not like you have to fly to Taiwan, just email them out to eMachine. I realize they may be a bit spendy.

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    I have only rode around the block and I could definitely feel mine stiffen. The suspension as well, but I had to be sitting and pedalling with constant torque on something at least somewhat steep. Standing up it felt as "active" as my Horst link Enduro. I'm curious - Well I"m curious about a lot of things. but no sense speculating until I get to the bush.
    With the Tantrum when I stand and climb I notice the shock going from sag towards full extension on the power stroke and then back to sag in the dead spot. That is in comparison to my Giant Reign where it goes from sag to further compression on the power stroke and then back to sag in the dead spot.

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm a buyer when these are ready. Its not like you have to fly to Taiwan, just email them out to eMachine. I realize they may be a bit spendy.
    Same here

mtbr member
    Now we are getting somewhere, thanks Brian and eatsdirt. I initially had 5 spacers in the positive side but removed a few as I like a linear spring. Thinking about it though I should put them back. I had a bit of bother initially with the shock sucking down into the frame and not allowing me to remove the can, had to phone local DVO service place and ask how to do it. Maybe there is a problem with neg spring. I'll start from scratch again and set it up really carefully following your advice.
    You may like a linear spring, but probably not combined with an initial falling rate, which becomes linear. I combine this with the natural rising rate of the air spring to get:

Initially falling, linear, then rising rate at the wheel.......

The neg spring can suck the shock down when you remove pressure from the can. This is normal.

This might be time to make an important statement. It's easy to "overthink" what is going on. Yes, the geometry is constantly changing. It MAY NOT be changing when you think it might be, or happen to be looking. If you really want to take a look, put your gopro camera on the toptube, pointing at the shock.

But more importantly, just put time on the bike. There are a plethora, a veritable cornucopia of things that the suspension will be doing differently at any given time. And cause a different feel to the ride.

But if you just ride the bike, you should feel, among other things:

1) easy climbing. In just about every way but weight.

2) more confident descending

Easier and more confident than what? Not a 20 lb XC bike or a 40 lb DH bike. But pretty much apples to apples. Any other 28-32 lb bike.

nothing to see here
    Mashlings, out of interest and for a little context, where have you been riding this? I'm in Melbourne too.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Mashlings, out of interest and for a little context, where have you been riding this? I'm in Melbourne too.
    I'm up in Castlemaine. Lots of old school XC trails here. Also new bike park opening here on the 9th March. Pretty rowdy stuff there, at least for this area - you should get a posse together and come up. I'm thinking the Tantrum will be great there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

4) headset, another standards/compatibility nightmare. I picked the ZS 44/ZS56 because it had the most flexibility. Part of this relates to being able to use an angleset with +/- 1.5 degrees of change. BUT, the catch is, that headset is only available as an EC44/EC56.

It adds to the stack, but just another variable to consider. at least it can be done.
    An alternative to an AngleSet is the Works Components Angle Headset:

2.0 Degree EC44-ZS56 Angle Headset - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube

These are available in 1, 1.5, and 2 degree versions. Only the upper cup is external compared to the Cane Creek. I ordered one from the UK but haven't installed it on my Trek Remedy 8 yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    How do you guys feel the pop on the bike is?

While I know you want a responsive suspension, is there enough support to pop off roots or rocks in the trail?
    TwoTone,

I rode yesterday with your question in mind.
    So I tried hitting as many poppers as I could , mind you, our trails here are all natural with not a lot of pops built in. And yes, setup is a big part. I keep mine on the plusher side only because my trials are harsh, kinda Bootleg Canyonish.
    But Yes , this bike pops well. I've ridden plenty of bikes that are just Mush over hits and
    it's just no fun.
    I'm not the Skypilot I once was but, this bike is always neutral off hits or lips. Never pops the rear end up. I'm looking forward to the bike park this season!!

Now, I always run my bike in the "Open" shock mode. But, I did double back on one trail and hit it again with the shock set to "trail" mode and it did increase the pop factor nicely. Running the DVO Topaz T3air.
    Hope this helps, Konk

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah I had found that angle set as well I meant to mention it - seems like it will fit, and the Cane Creek that Brian provided has a pretty tall top bearing cap anyway, so I think the stack height should fit just right.

I've always preferred a little steeper HA than the modern crowd, maybe because I came up in the days of 71 degrees, or maybe I just like a quicker bike, but the 65 degrees on he Tantrum feels okay, I"m mostly considering decreasing it for running a 27.5" rear wheel.

So I threw caution to the wind and realized as long as I had a stem cap bolted into the star nut, the stem was going to be okay riding on a 1/2" short steer tube as long as I didn't go nuts, so I went and hit the local neighborhood trails yesterday. I'm far from giving a review yet, but the one thing I am ready to say - ignoring the game changer talk, dynamic geometry, pedals like an HT, bike geo etc., just the flat out performance of the rear suspension in terms of compliance and tracking the ground and damping is very, very good.

nothing to see here
    I'm up in Castlemaine. Lots of old school XC trails here. Also new bike park opening here on the 9th March. Pretty rowdy stuff there, at least for this area - you should get a posse together and come up. I'm thinking the Tantrum will be great there.
    Nice stuff in Castlemaine. I've done a few trips there over the years. We're already planning a trip to Harcourt sometime on the long weekend. Should be good. Hope you get everything sorted with the new bike soon.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

EAT MORE GRIME
    real good stuff here on DVO topaz and DVO diamond setup
    in case you, like me, Tantrum bringing your first rodeo with DVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYjBhNoNoE
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Sad! My frame is still in the box waiting for budget to free up to order build kit

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Got finally my Moveloc dropper.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180304_144713.jpg

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180304_144605.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    An alternative to an AngleSet is the Works Components Angle Headset:

2.0 Degree EC44-ZS56 Angle Headset - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube

These are available in 1, 1.5, and 2 degree versions. Only the upper cup is external compared to the Cane Creek. I ordered one from the UK but haven't installed it on my Trek Remedy 8 yet.
    Nice find, thanks. I have 3 of them on order. The CaneCreek option is better if you want to maintain BB height, as raking it out will drop that and the external lower cup will compensate.

In the case of the Shinning, the Bb is too high and the rake too steep (at around 65.5) So the Works solution will rake it out, lower the BB and steepen the seattube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Now we're calling 65.5 too steep ?

mtbr member
    Not for WC XC, but for trail riding I'd have to shave my legs!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    almost 25 years ago, I started my NORBA DH career on the fastest track (kamakazi), with the craziest steep HTA, I believe around 73 degrees, with an inch and a half of fine, headshock travel

And now, I live in Indiana, where nothing is really steep, at least not for long and I have 4 times the travel (in front), a tire that's 3 inches larger in diameter and a 63 degree HTA.

What does it all mean?? I couldn't get away with 63 without the effects of the Missing Link. It would just be too much of a sled on level ground. The Missing Link keeps the rear up when you need it, keeping the steering sharp. If it squatted like other bikes, it would wheel flop.

So I can rake it out and make it a better DH bike in addition to the climbing advantages.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-kamakazi-ks.jpg

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm fortunate in that we do get a decent number of demo days here, even though this isn't much of a "terrain" state. Giant comes nearly every year, and one year (2010) I threw a leg over the Anthem 26er. I generally like Giant's bikes, so I thought this would be a good one. I think it was 100mm travel, but the HA was something like 71 or 72. The demo loop had one fast downhill section on a fire road, and I was terrified. The slightest movement of the bars resulted in the bike cutting like a cat on shag, except I was on gravel and loose dirt doing 25 mph or so. My own bike at that time was 69 HA with 120mm travel, which works much better around here.

Here's the Giant:
    DSC06767 by ctbtyper, on Flickr

And here's my bike at the time. I still have it, it just isn't my main bike anymore. Custom Ti shock mount that a friend machined for me after I designed it to allow HA adjustment and an air shock on a bike that was originally coil (with HA adjust).

DSC06775 by ctbtyper, on Flickr

I'm really looking foward to seeing how my Outburst feels around here. It's at about 65.5 or 66 deg, and I have 690 bars on it with an 80mm stem (I think...). I really can't wait to try it. I think we have some trails around here that it will absolutely kill on. Come on, dry season...

EAT MORE GRIME
    ^same here. saving tantrum for dry season, don't wanna go back to learning it on soggy trails or snow, I have my other bikes for poop duty.

april 15 tantrum will roll again (state park trails officially never open before apr 15) and the rootiest root fest of all time is in a state park 1.5 miles from my door.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    @Brian: how does it look with spare dropouts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavolpeeluva View Post
    Got finally my Moveloc dropper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180304_144713.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	1185839

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180304_144605.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	1185840
    I love the heavy equipment in the pic. No doubt for trail making. Speaking of trails, how's it riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    poop duty.
    must test for

rode hard, hung up wet

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-mud-test1.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-mud-test2.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-mud-test-3.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-mud-test-4.jpg

WillWorkForTrail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavolpeeluva View Post
    @Brian: how does it look with spare dropouts?
    It looks exactly the same....couldn't resist...

Dropouts. There are not enough for everyone to have a spare at the moment. I want to be sure to have some for those that need until the next batch gets done. But, since you are across the pond, that might be a good reason to make an exception.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    saw that. I'll be riding it. Maybe delivering your bike. Some day.

mtbr member
    I want to pollute this thread for a moment with my Sea Otter Enduro Industry Throw Down

Tantrum Cycles will be at Sea Otter, Monterrey, CA in April.

This is my "industry challenge" to all the people that make bikes, have bikes with their name on, make bike products, bike equipment, write about bikes, sell bikes, work on bikes and/or otherwise make their living off bikes.

Race Me.

2 years ago, I entered the Enduro for Tantrum Cycles competition debut (and my return after 15 yrs since my last DH race), as the oldest guy in my class. I beat some people and got beat by more people. I had fun, got tired. I raced MY OWN bike.This year, I entered as possibly the oldest rider in the entire field of 600.

Most of you never get to ride or race at these events. I know, I know, if you're there, you're setting up a booth, etc. Working. for a few bucks. And the privilege of being in the industry. Because you like bikes that much. And it sucks that all my friends in the industry are stuck in their booths.

C'mon. I've had my own, sometimes self manned booth at Sea Otter for years in the Brake Therapy/Shock Therapy days. And at the NORBA Nationals.

And I always raced. Not just because I make stuff that racers use and I need to test it to the best of my ability. because it's fun. I'm a racer. I like to go fast. It's fun.

Race me.

Easy for me to say, I have nothing to lose, you might get beat by an old man. Show me a wheel. Throw me an elbow. Make fun of my bike. Whatever. I'll buy a beer for everyone that beats me and 2 beers for everyone I beat.

Who's in??
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-sea-otter-podium-l.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    If it was closer I'd definitely throw down. I might have to get you on my old Giant you rode at the demo to have a chance though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Oh and as for "popiness", the other day I managed to boost off a rock on the right side of the trail, cleared the singletrack and into a tree off the left side. My verdict: enough pop to get you in trouble. Ouch.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It looks exactly the same....couldn't resist...

Dropouts. There are not enough for everyone to have a spare at the moment. I want to be sure to have some for those that need until the next batch gets done. But, since you are across the pond, that might be a good reason to make an exception.
    I'm not looking for spares, just the 29er dropouts that my frame was ordered with. I'll even send the 27.5 ones back if you need them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzflag View Post
    If it was closer I'd definitely throw down. I might have to get you on my old Giant you rode at the demo to have a chance though.
    We'll find something in your neck of the woods. Maybe Windrock next year. If I was more prepared, I would've this year. As it is, I'm just building my super special race bike (chrome) now. Not that I'll retire the raw mule

As for racing your old Giant......I've raced worse....but

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finnlander View Post
    I'm not looking for spares, just the 29er dropouts that my frame was ordered with. I'll even send the 27.5 ones back if you need them.
    Haha, I get it now. You are up in WI, right? Your name fooled me and I thought you were one of my international ones. Hence my confusion.

The dropouts I have right now seem a little more suited to 27.5 plus tires. I am actually running full 29 on my mule with 160 mm fork and EC lower headset, so my BB is about as high as you can get in this config without going to an even longer travel fork (it begs for a 170 mm front).

I kinda don't mind the high BB, but at least one customer complained here. I had always intended (and still do) to make a DO with a lower BB, this would also slacken the HT and lengthen the CS. For me, I beleive it is a better solution for a full on 29er, but might be a bit low with 27.5 plus, hence the current DO's.

Here's the catch. I want to see what happens when I put my 2 deg slacker headset with ZS lower cup. It will:

Lower the BB
    slacken the HT
    Steepen the ST

All good for the 160 mm 29er.

Here's where it gets tricky. For those of you running shorter forks and more XC setup, the BB may be low enough and the HT slack enough, depending on your preference.

but, the new dropout will also help that config, again, depending on your BB height and HT preferences, even that can be further tweaked with anglesets.

Oh, but email me please, sometimes it's hard to keep all the mtbr user names connected with all the people. I totally had you as somebody else

b

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I will announce them hear , on the website and social media. As mentioned, my focus right now is to deliver the bikes I have, then I can worry about selling the next batch.
    Brian - I asked about demos in the mid-atlantic area back in November. I know you are busy; definitely not trying to push you. Just wondering if you have plans for demos this spring/summer? I will make every effort to get to a demo event, but more heads up is better, know what I mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hn View Post
    Brian - I asked about demos in the mid-atlantic area back in November. I know you are busy; definitely not trying to push you. Just wondering if you have plans for demos this spring/summer? I will make every effort to get to a demo event, but more heads up is better, know what I mean?
    Hey, I'm not gonna complain that people are pushing to ride my bike. The current plan is to do some Ca demos in april, leading up to Sea Otter (where I will have bikes). Then, in the summer, load up the motorhome do some midwest/eastern demos and festivals. I'll get a better plan as I go along.

To get started, So Cal demos the weekend of Mar 31/Apr1. I haven't made appts yet, so pls get in touch if interested. It could be Laguna area, Mt Wilson (working on some shuttle possibilities), Simi...

I'll also be there during the week, but at some point going to Santa Barbara to ride during the week with my son.

The weekend of April 7/8 will be Socal or Norcal, tbd.

Then, the weekend before sea Otter, April 14-15, i'll be in Norcal, looking to do demos in Santa Cruz or ???

Then Sea Otter the following week.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Haha, I get it now. You are up in WI, right? Your name fooled me and I thought you were one of my international ones. Hence my confusion.
    b
    Close to Wi. I'm in MN, though I do ride there occasionally. Ordered an Outburst but running 29/27.5 now due to no 29er dropouts when mine shipped. Really like the bike as it is but think I'd like it more as a 29er. Of course, we still have snow on the ground so its not urgent. I'll send you an email.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hey guys - I'm not dead and my build is still progressing... just rather slow due to health issues and waiting on a boost spaced chainring. Went with one from Works Components as have very good reviews + excellent value!

Went with the Truvativ descendant crank in the end which has the 24mm axle so I would be sure I could have the bearings protected via the sleeve and still have room for cables... not happy with sram bb reviews (and previous experience of letting water/dirt in) so went for a Hope bb with gxp adapter - fits great after a little effort to screw in on non-drive side (assume a little paint left on threads??) ...

however! once fitted I look down and the 32t chainring is very close to the chainstay - like not much more than 1mm or so... yikes. So after finally figuring out what on earth boost offset actually is I get a 3mm offset ring on order to replace the standard 6mm offset. For anyone wondering we're after something like a 52mm chainline (centre seat tube to teeth) from what I can tell rather than the standard 49mm.

Feel free to correct me Brian!

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180323_101321.jpg

Next job is to fit the dropper - really liking the look of the Bike yoke 160mm I went for - thanks guys!

However, on routing the cable, I look down the seat tube and it seems very rough - was this the same for the rest of you guys? Is it intentional and / or should I be prepping it some way to stop it snarling my post up... I have anti seize at the ready but would rather do any smoothing work before covering everything in anti seize :P

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-roughsurface.jpg

Once these jobs are sorted I just need to fit the boost adapter kit to my rear wheel (problem solvers do a good one using the 6mm axle/disc spacers and slight re-dish option to keep cassette aligned correctly) fit the chain and should be ready for final check over.

A few cosmetic things look like they'll be a few weeks (still waiting on those stickers Brian! ) but hopefully not long till bike is finally ridable and health permitting I'll get out for a test ride!

mtbr member
    Does the dropper slide in okay? If it does I wouldn't worry about it. The dropper shouldn't be moving in the seat tube once installed. Besides any minor abrasion installing/removing is only cosmetic.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Tantrumcycles #1
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Does the dropper slide in okay? If it does I wouldn't worry about it. The dropper shouldn't be moving in the seat tube once installed. Besides any minor abrasion installing/removing is only cosmetic.
    I had to use my dropper as a regular solid for a few ride since it was to tall. The paint wore off pretty fast. But no matter that I prefer the ST to be rough inside to hold my new Bike Yoke as firm as possible.

Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks guys - guess I'm just a bit obsessive about not damaging new shiny parts before I ride - sounds like a quick go with a bit of very fine sandpaper on any sharp edges and I'm good to go. It'll get battle scars soon enough! :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow you have a lot of patience !

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Wow you have a lot of patience !
    Yup! Partly is essential to my job as an illustrator / graphic designer... but also having very little energy / ability this last while I can only do a bit at a time so doing what I can when I can ... having said that I got a bit carried away today and everything is bolted together - now technically a whole bike! Weighing in at 30.25lbs not bad at all as a starting point (still borrowing wheels and forks from my last bike)

Had a scary moment when the 160mm dropper looked too long and had to re-check my measurements for the 4th time... but once I could sit on it fits perfect *phew!*

Really happy with my colour scheme - will take a pic or two for you guys tomorrow!

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyGreg View Post
    Thanks guys - guess I'm just a bit obsessive about not damaging new shiny parts before I ride - sounds like a quick go with a bit of very fine sandpaper on any sharp edges and I'm good to go. It'll get battle scars soon enough! :P
    I reckon it's worth reaming the seat tube on new frames. Local bike shop should have the tools. Also applies to clearing threads and facing BB

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    A few 'beauty' shots ... :P

Man it's a perfect day for a ride today... and by some miracle not feeling like death warmed up... Bike is begging me to ride - need bolts for rear calliper and a bunch of other adjustments / boost spacers/wheel re-dish...sooooo close!

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180325_102645.jpg

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180325_102857.jpg

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180325_102946.jpg

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180325_102234.jpg

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180325_103012.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I reckon it's worth reaming the seat tube on new frames. Local bike shop should have the tools. Also applies to clearing threads and facing BB
    agreed!
    However, with a little anti-seize dropper went in just fine and although probably ideal to have cleared bb threads that also went in ok by careful cup rotation back and forth as I tightened it - headset is almost perfect but going to get bike shop to double check it as might just need nipping up with a proper press (only so far you can get taptaptapping with a rubber mallet! Never had an issue with this method in the past but headset seems a bit tight on this one - good and solid once in though!)

Now I'm assuming the x-fusion is just set pressure to 25-30% sag and off you go... but just in case, is there anything else I should be doing with it / keeping in mind?
    Last edited by ArtyGreg; 03-25-2018 at 07:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nice looking build ArtyGreg!!

Getting ready to put some more miles on mine today. You are going to Love this bike! Itís just a Blast to ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks Konk211!

So... finally got my first 'ride' on the bike today! Not exactly the type of terrain to give a review as was more a test of what degree of dying I'd achieve by attempting the first exercise I've done in the last 4months...

Firstly had a go at setting up my shock ... I weigh around 185lbs kitted up. Neutral riding position the X-Fusion set 'open' wasn't giving around 25% sag until the pressure was around 120psi - seems kinda low?... anything above 160psi seemed to eliminate sag altogether so decided on 140psi in the end. Also found the forks although previously set up to 30% sag are now not compressing even half that... I admit suspension setup is not my strong point - what am I missing

So the majority of the 'ride' was road riding to get to the bike shop (steady uphill and downhill stuff) ... Road bumps and traffic-calming measures soaked right up (we have a lot of it around here) ... pedalling uninterrupted without any jolts like riding hardtail or sinking down into the travel that I've had when riding other full sus - promising stuff!

I arrived at the shop less dead than I expected (still tasting blood despite my leisurely pace) so no way I was going to be able to manage a whole trail loop... hmm ... at this point I remembered the first section of the Red route crosses the entrance road so headed off in that direction!! ... on the way the bike decided to sink right down into it's travel without returning so I hopped off and reduced the rebound damping... seemed to fix things!

Hitting the Trail, a nice twisty fast section with small 'pop' inducing swoops and 'jumps' and short uphills, back end felt a little too 'active' so maybe a little too much rebound removed? but was fast, fun and slightly perplexing - in a good way! Seemed to respond very differently to my input, encouraging me to stop trying to figure out what's going on and just ride! Boring is something this bike isn't! Kind of like an in control out of control... (possibly due to lack of damping ) lets just say a tired and out of practice rider, hitting things a little faster than he probably should have, found himself able to maintain the right line better than when fit and healthy.

Too early to give any definite statements regarding my climbing experience but so far despite my amateur suspension tuning efforts climbing was fantastic especially when you take into account how well it soaks up the rough stuff

I'd like to test a slightly longer stem and slightly narrower bars but overall very happy from initial impressions - once I have the shocks tuned correctly I can see this being an absolute ripper

So while I recover and plan my next hopefully more qualifying ride - any help in approaching the set up of the shock much appreciated.
    Last edited by ArtyGreg; 03-27-2018 at 04:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    A couple of Tantrum's in action here:

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Andy from Denver here: Iíve had my frame a couple months and I am finally able to order my build kit. Looking forward to getting it all set up and dialed...

mtbr member
    Just caught up with Brian for a little demo tooling at my local to help him shake down a couple of new mixed media bikes... the thing rips!

After taking a spin on the (under sprung) prototype Meltdown was initially concerned about support pushing hard into corners, pumping, etc. Not an issue... plenty of support and 'pop', rear feels very stiff torsionally. All my concerns (nitpicking?) have been unfounded.

Now it's just a matter of creative financing for production V2...

EAT MORE GRIME
    Nice to see instagram comments by employees of DVO suspension, that when they recently test rode the Tantrum, they are saying it's totally legit, plush yet pedals awesome, and does what everyone else is sayin....

quote: "Definitely one of the best pedaling bikes Iíve ridden that is equally plush and shredable. You have a very well thought out design that works flawlessly. I liked it so much I left my pedals on it so I can ride it again."

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    link ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    link ?
    x2, I would like to hear what they have to say!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Download Instagram and follow tantrum_cycles and geoff_welch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well I'm not letting Cuckerberg get his hands on me, but I did look it up on a search engine. What's funny is if you scroll back a few photos he talks about a different bike that is also "totally legit !". Ha ha !

Still, good to hear !

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhNgnP2H...by=geoff_welch

mtbr member
    Hey Preston,

How's the Tantrum working out for you in our local terrain?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Just caught up with Brian for a little demo tooling at my local to help him shake down a couple of new mixed media bikes... the thing rips!

After taking a spin on the (under sprung) prototype Meltdown was initially concerned about support pushing hard into corners, pumping, etc. Not an issue... plenty of support and 'pop', rear feels very stiff torsionally. All my concerns (nitpicking?) have been unfounded.

Now it's just a matter of creative financing for production V2...
    @EatsDirt thanks again for showing me some cool new trails, waiting for me...well, everywhere and even stopping for "content". I know you had a lot more in mind, esp at rocky peak, just spread a little thin on the trip.

I posted a video of me creeping down this for the first time on instagram and a little later, I'll post EatsDirt rippin down on a Meltdown demo bike.
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-drop-s.jpg

mtbr member
    Well I'm not letting Cuckerberg get his hands on me, but I did look it up on a search engine. What's funny is if you scroll back a few photos he talks about a different bike that is also "totally legit !". Ha ha !

Still, good to hear !

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhNgnP2H...by=geoff_welch
    to be fair to everyone involved, I doubt they would go on any social media ad slam a customer, however small. I said as much to Geoff and Bryson when they complimented me on the bikes during the ride.

But I added that I doubt they would bother with compliments if they didn't like it.

Bryson told me to quote him on anything. He said he had ridden the trail we rode a million times on every kind of bike. He would know (and has) right away if it wasn't any good. Just by hitting simple little test sections.

After one moderate DH he smiled and said "that wasn't anything". I said "what wasn't?" He said he was just used to the back of bikes moving around more. I told him to throw something challenging at it.

The next section still wasn't super tech, but it was fast and fun with random rock outcrops in inopportune spots and plenty of corners and berms, with a few small jumps thrown in. It ended in the "Elevator Shaft", the bottom of which had a 1-2' ditch, from which you jumped out.

Bryson said he never had a bike so composed thru there and went down the shaft at "mach nipple".

Good guys to have in my corner

mtbr member
    Not to side rail the tantrum thread but the DVO stuff is awesome! Just installed and ride my Knolly Endorphin with a diamond and topaz and that fork is so much better than my pike.

Brian when/if you ever get up to the Portland or Oregon area let me know. I still really want to try out your bikes. There looking good.

WillWorkForTrail
    to be fair to everyone involved, I doubt they would go on any social media ad slam a customer, however small. I said as much to Geoff and Bryson when they complimented me on the bikes during the ride.

But I added that I doubt they would bother with compliments if they didn't like it.

Bryson told me to quote him on anything. He said he had ridden the trail we rode a million times on every kind of bike. He would know (and has) right away if it wasn't any good. Just by hitting simple little test sections.

After one moderate DH he smiled and said "that wasn't anything". I said "what wasn't?" He said he was just used to the back of bikes moving around more. I told him to throw something challenging at it.

The next section still wasn't super tech, but it was fast and fun with random rock outcrops in inopportune spots and plenty of corners and berms, with a few small jumps thrown in. It ended in the "Elevator Shaft", the bottom of which had a 1-2' ditch, from which you jumped out.

Bryson said he never had a bike so composed thru there and went down the shaft at "mach nipple".

Good guys to have in my corner
    I rode my Anthem through a new section of gnarly black diamond trail yesterday. It was not composed. It tried to buck me off. I didn't let it. A guy a 130mm bike and a guy on a 160mm bike said they couldn't believe I rode a 100mm 71 degree HT bike through the shelves at the bottom of this thing. I told them my other choice was a hard tail. They told me a need another bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I rode my Anthem through a new section of gnarly black diamond trail yesterday. It was not composed. It tried to buck me off. I didn't let it. A guy a 130mm bike and a guy on a 160mm bike said they couldn't believe I rode a 100mm 71 degree HT bike through the shelves at the bottom of this thing. I told them my other choice was a hard tail. They told me a need another bike.
    Funny guys. I've been on a 140mm Trail bike for 3yrs and I might tell you the samething. The only thing is, we only need a bigger bike if we want it, right? I don't really miss my old quick (nervous) handling XC bike most of the time, but in another thread I was recently told I must NEED the latest-n-greatest because I'd recomended someone buy new rather than upgrade their old bike. My point had been the 'new' geo numbers are a good thing and anyone would enjoy the evolution of bikes. My thougth here concerning the ass-warming your Anthum delivered is retro. Is it still the best most fun MTB experience if I buy a new bike that delivers speed-over-chunder easier than my old bike? Am I less of a MTB-Man because I ride a 'better' bike?
    Like most in this thread I like mech-tech and NEW so there is that, I'd keep 25 bikes just so I could enjoy their differences. I want a Tantrum as much to experience the new tech as anything else. Anything else being how happy it makes me to rip a known trail while in a smaller cog, it's just so fun. To hell with the luddites; let's upgrade!
    oops I wasn't clipped in

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    Funny guys. I've been on a 140mm Trail bike for 3yrs and I might tell you the samething. The only thing is, we only need a bigger bike if we want it, right? I don't really miss my old quick (nervous) handling XC bike most of the time, but in another thread I was recently told I must NEED the latest-n-greatest because I'd recomended someone buy new rather than upgrade their old bike. My point had been the 'new' geo numbers are a good thing and anyone would enjoy the evolution of bikes. My thougth here concerning the ass-warming your Anthum delivered is retro. Is it still the best most fun MTB experience if I buy a new bike that delivers speed-over-chunder easier than my old bike? Am I less of a MTB-Man because I ride a 'better' bike?
    Like most in this thread I like mech-tech and NEW so there is that, I'd keep 25 bikes just so I could enjoy their differences. I want a Tantrum as much to experience the new tech as anything else. Anything else being how happy it makes me to rip a known trail while in a smaller cog, it's just so fun. To hell with the luddites; let's upgrade!
    Ahah. See, I've already ridden a Tantrum. My post is a bit of a prod at Brian, though he'll know it's good natured. I'd keep my Anthem, no matter, but the reality is I'm on the third frame on that bike, because I simply over extend the bike without even getting it off the ground. Did I mention the bike doesn't have a dropper? So I high posted the whole line as well. Brian knows I know what his bike will do. He knows I want one. He and I just have to come together on being able to make that happen. He needs my size in stock at the same time I can pay him for the bike. My MTB-manhood is not at risk, since the line I was riding was one I built. If I start to doubt my MTB-manhood, I'll ride my single speed down that line, and instantly be reassured. Although, I might set a camera up before I try that, just in case...

mtbr member
    It's late, I can't sleep, and feel like talking. I have been lurking at this project for years, it seems. I totally dig:
    1 - The suspension design.
    2 - Small company taking on the big boys and kicking ass.
    3- Great bikes without: carbon, weight weenie, stupid internal cable routing, etc...
    4- The company actually showing, telling, communicating about why this kicks ass and not using stupid marketing bullsh!t to try and upsell meaningless change.

Request for my next bike (3 years):

Things that matter to me:
    1- geometry
    2 - suspension
    3- ride quality
    4- versatility
    5 -FUN
    Things that don't matter:
    1- weight (sub 38 lbs required)
    2- color
    3- looks
    4- stickers
    5- carbon
    6- boutique
    7- brand

I would love: Tantrum full fat / convertible to 29+ with adjustable or high bottom bracket. Moderate "modern" geometry. Still aluminum, or even fvucking steel for that matter. Think Trek Full Stache with fat compatibility and missing link. It would truly be the all year, all trail, all condition bike that does not exist.

Nothing would be more fun than blowing by somebody on a 26 pound carbon wonder bike on a 38 pound monster that cost 1/2 as much.

Anyway, congratulations Tantrum on kicking ass. Hope to still see you in 5 years. Or Brian on a yacht and his designs everywhere.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Ordered my frame in Jan 2017. I've had it built since just after Christmas 2017. It's now late April 2018; normal temperature for where I live is supposed to be a high of 60. It is currently snowing, and has been for a while, after weeks of rain (36 hours straight before the snow came). I wish I could put a ride review up here, but honestly I have no idea when I'll ever get to ride this thing.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Ordered my frame in Jan 2017. I've had it built since just after Christmas 2017. It's now late April 2018; normal temperature for where I live is supposed to be a high of 60. It is currently snowing, and has been for a while, after weeks of rain (36 hours straight before the snow came). I wish I could put a ride review up here, but honestly I have no idea when I'll ever get to ride this thing.
    Send it to me, I will test it for you .
    But I ride in the rain, and it's not lite rain, hope you don't mind and still send it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just a quick note on the suspension: riding on a steep sustained paved hill, sitting in the saddle there is little to no rear suspension movement. Standing and hammering, there is a perceived bob - but when you look closely the bob is the shock extending above sag. So like a reverse bob. Not sure how that will translate to feel on the trail. Will soon take it on a real trail but am first establishing a baseline putting in several rides on my old trusty.

Tantrumcycles #1
    Any experience here on the Sun Race 11-50?
    I struggle to find any conclusive info about how good the GX11 deraliure are doing on this cassette?
    I already got one sitting on a 29 wheel. From the discussions i have found around this matter it sounds like it will probably work fine. But I have no possibility to try on my Tantrum before enough of all this snow melts. It might take take 3-4 weeks before we got any clear trails around here.
    And the bike is supposed to go for a test asap 29" dropouts arrives.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It doesn't look like Brian plans to demo in the northwest anytime soon. If anyone is lurking out there you are welcome to demo my Large 29'er Tantrum, PM me and we can probably work something out. I live in Kirkland.

Tantrumcycles #1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Westholm View Post
    Any experience here on the Sun Race 11-50?
    I struggle to find any conclusive info about how good the GX11 deraliure are doing on this cassette?
    I already got one sitting on a 29 wheel. From the discussions i have found around this matter it sounds like it will probably work fine. But I have no possibility to try on my Tantrum before enough of all this snow melts. It might take take 3-4 weeks before we got any clear trails around here.
    And the bike is supposed to go for a test asap 29" dropouts arrives.

It seems like GX11 won't work on the 11-50 https://singletrackworld.com/2018/02...-from-sunrace/

I was hoping it did at least with a Goat Link. Bummer I did not know this before I decided on GX11 instead of stretching my budget to Eagle...

Last edited by Gunnar Westholm; 04-24-2018 at 11:32 PM.

EAT MORE GRIME
    sea otter 2018 Karl Lange cat 2 age 25-29 DH
    -1st place-
    riding Tantrum Cycles
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 04-22-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Tantrumcycles #1
    -1st place-
    riding Tantrum Cycles
    That's so cool! Congratulations!!!

www.tantrumcycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I feel your pain. We just had 18 inches (around .5 m) of snow a week ago. Nicer weather has finally arrived but itís still going to be a while before itís dry enough to ride around here. Hope you can ride soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quick note on setup: I suggest leaving a little extra steerer length than normal when cutting your forks. After initial setup, on the downs I felt the bike was too short in length and my hands were too low.

After playing around, I feel the bike felt best with the stem as high as I could put it (30mm stack below). I ended up putting a longer stem (50mm) on it as well. Now the fit feels much better. I'm 5'10" with a long torso/reach on a Medium Outburst.

mtbr member
    -1st place-
    riding Tantrum Cycles
    Sweet!

Did any bike company executives beat you in your class?

Tantrumcycles #1
    Quote Originally Posted by finnlander View Post
    I feel your pain. We just had 18 inches (around .5 m) of snow a week ago. Nicer weather has finally arrived but itís still going to be a while before itís dry enough to ride around here. Hope you can ride soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm with you. We got another 5inches wet snow yesterday. Nice and dry to ski in above forest line but sticky as glue below. Temp is going to drop below freezing at night wich will improve skiing, but also delay biking. Luxurio dilemma...

www.tantrumcycles.com

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Getting cold here too.
    17C today
    Definitely heading toward winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Sweet!

Did any bike company executives beat you in your class?
    Not a one. Nobody took me up on my challenge. I knew that was gonna happen. And somke of them probably think I'm a dick for throwing down a challenge that I knew couldn't/wouldn't be met.

As for me, I'm still trying to finish

after this break

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-sea-otter-break-s.jpg

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Westholm View Post
    It seems like GX11 won't work on the 12-50 https://singletrackworld.com/2018/02...-from-sunrace/

I was hoping it did at least with a Goat Link. Bummer I did not know this before I decided on GX11 instead of stretching my budget to Eagle...

Your derailleur will work on an e13 cassette with even more range than the Sunrace.
    Keep the Country country.

bike rider
    -1st place-
    riding Tantrum Cycles
    First sanctioned race win for the brand? Cat 2 still counts!
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    First sanctioned race win for the brand? Cat 2 still counts!
    This was the first race ever entered with production bikes, although I did the Sea Otter enduro with a sample 2 yrs ago.

So I'll claim first race ever entered, first race won. It was also Karl's first win in Cat 2, on a strange (to say the least) bike.

The weekend before the race, I advertised for demo rides in Santa Cruz.

@rockofullr on Ridemonkey got in touch and brought along a few friends to show me the Flow trail in Soquel Demo forest. Whether you like "flow" or not, this is one wild rollercoasterspacemountainvideogame ride.

anyway, they liked the bikes enough to ask if they could race them at the Sea Otter DH. I said, "sure, they're demo bikes"

Karl Lange won his class and rockofullr got 5th. The fields were pretty stacked with a lot of people moving down a class since it was such a big event.

No, Sea Otter will never be accused of being a technical challenge, but every brand there wants to win. This was Karl's first win (in Cat 2) and Tantrum's first win, so I'll take it.
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-podium-1-s.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-team-tantrum-s.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-winner-s.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-karl-jump.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Wow, congratulations and it sounds like fun all around!
    Why was/am I going to work every day when that is going on?
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I enjoy watching Ali C videos anyway, but it was cool to see Brian and Tantrum turn up in this one!

https://youtu.be/-ZnLqUFxfMA?t=6m11s

CTB
    mtbr member
    Nice find, thanks. I have 3 of them on order. The CaneCreek option is better if you want to maintain BB height, as raking it out will drop that and the external lower cup will compensate.
    Brian, have you had a chance to try the Works Components headsets yet? I thought I noted that the insertion depth of the bottom cup was about 1mm too much. Curious if you machined 'em down to fit or just went for it. I'm thinking of a WC headset for mine.

EAT MORE GRIME
    the BEST thing ever about the naysayers was
    andrextr on Pinkbike, he posted bike will bottom out by sitting on it, it will do this and that negative behavior...lots of drivel and arguments...

supposed 'expert' claiming all sorts of buggery with the Tantrum linkage and design, and Brian shooting back well I actually build bikes and don't screw around with 'linkage program' . and Brian said what are you gonna do when real evidence is posted about the bike NOT acting as you claim, will you backtrack ?

well, bike has been, and is, proving itself rightly,

and andrextr is nowhere to be seen.

LOL
    --proof--
    these armchair experts
    who evaluate bike suspension
    and post up linkage graphs
    and make the leap to comment about how it might ride and compare to other bikes,
    do not know a damn thing really.

at least andrextr looks foolish in his analysis of Missing Link

there, I said it.

mtbr member
    the BEST thing ever about the naysayers was
    andrextr on Pinkbike, he posted bike will bottom out by sitting on it, it will do this and that negative behavior...lots of drivel and arguments...
    The numerous armchair suspension gurus on MTBR are hilarious. I feel bad for the folks that actually design, build and ride the bikes in question when these folks beak off about bikes they have never ridden and often never even seen in person. #sadBUTnotEVERYONEisAWESOME
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The numerous armchair suspension gurus on MTBR are hilarious. I feel bad for the folks that actually design, build and ride the bikes in question when these folks beak off about bikes they have never ridden and often never even seen in person. #sadBUTnotEVERYONEisAWESOME
    Those same morons were all over Pinkbike about his design. Now that's it's out they don't even have the basic integrity to apologize and say they were wrong.

I can't understand why their stupid websites are referenced so often.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Still preparing my full comprehensive review, but the summary is: I have found Brian's claims to be true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    Wow, congratulations and it sounds like fun all around!
    Why was/am I going to work every day when that is going on?
    It's a super fun event. Great location and I believe the only event that has all genre of bikes involved, plus an open trade show environment.

And well worth the considerable time and expense for me, even without the race win. It seems word might be getting around. Maybe, in another year or 2, I can be an overnite success.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by welf View Post
    I enjoy watching Ali C videos anyway, but it was cool to see Brian and Tantrum turn up in this one!

https://youtu.be/-ZnLqUFxfMA?t=6m11s
    it seems Ali has become a fan. Might have to get him on a bike....

mtbr member
    Brian, have you had a chance to try the Works Components headsets yet? I thought I noted that the insertion depth of the bottom cup was about 1mm too much. Curious if you machined 'em down to fit or just went for it. I'm thinking of a WC headset for mine.
    I got them in, but haven't installed any.

Not sure what you mean on insertion. The bottom cup I have can go in about 11.5 mm. There is easily 14.5 mm of bore.

CTB
    mtbr member
    WC lists 16mm as the insertion depth at their website:

1.0 Degree EC44-ZS56 Angle Headset - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube

Sounds like they are wrong.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Two silly questions:
    1) Can a 29er wheel fit with the 27.5 dropouts installed? My eye tells me "no," or at least not with my 29x2.2 tire.
    2) If the answer to 1) is "yes," what does it do to the geo? With just a quick look, I couldn't tell what the result would do to BB, HA, etc.

Thanks for humoring a guy who always noodles things in his head...

WillWorkForTrail
    Two silly questions:
    1) Can a 29er wheel fit with the 27.5 dropouts installed? My eye tells me "no," or at least not with my 29x2.2 tire.
    2) If the answer to 1) is "yes," what does it do to the geo? With just a quick look, I couldn't tell what the result would do to BB, HA, etc.

The answer to 2 is it would raise the BB. It shouldn't affect angles if you keep the same fork and put a 29er wheel there too. Not sure about whether it would actually fit or not.

Tantrumcycles #1
    Even if you'd fit a skinny enough 29"tyre to clear the bottom of the CS, the tyre would rub on thec SS at full compression.
    But 29" dropouts should coming any day now..
    Brian - Any update on that?
    Two silly questions:

www.tantrumcycles.com

CTB
    mtbr member
    I have both dropouts and was comparing them - I was hoping someone had tried it so that I could avoid taking the bike apart.

I can't say for sure that the BB would be raised since the SS and CS relationship is different between the two dropouts. The axle is "lower" in the 275 dropout, but the SS location is very different as well. Not sure how that would move things around. I think it's moot since it really does look like there wouldn't be room for a 29er in the 275 dropout setup.

When I have time, I'll take some pics of the dropouts next to each other.

WillWorkForTrail
    I have both dropouts and was comparing them - I was hoping someone had tried it so that I could avoid taking the bike apart.

I can't say for sure that the BB would be raised since the SS and CS relationship is different between the two dropouts. The axle is "lower" in the 275 dropout, but the SS location is very different as well. Not sure how that would move things around. I think it's moot since it really does look like there wouldn't be room for a 29er in the 275 dropout setup.

When I have time, I'll take some pics of the dropouts next to each other.
    I follow what you're saying, but I have to ask you - you're talking about putting a 29" wheel in a 27.5" dropout. I say the BB will go up the difference in height between the ground and the axle on the two wheels. Now, if you're talking about the 29" wheel in the 29er dropout, then I'm sure Brian has taken advantage of the added height of the axle on the larger wheel and put some additional BB drop in that dropout, although I suspect the BB would still be a smidge higher than the 27.5 wheel in the 27.5 dropout.