Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 1,701 to 1,748 of 1748
    WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by GaelP View Post
    Hello!

I've got this Orbea Rallon X-LTD 2014:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/orbea-...view-2014.html

If I think about a bike update it could be changing the frame with a Tantrum Meltdown.

However as I'm 6.3 feets tall, and I fell my actual bike a little bit too short, I've tried to compare the Meltdown L size to the Rallon L size for checking if the meltdown is longer.

Reach is quite the same (470/467), but wheel base is longer, 1220 instead of 1204. Perhaps it's due to a the head angle, 65į instead of 66į.

Brian do you have in plan to make a frame with a longer reach like 480 mm?
    Do you think your L size is the good size for a 6,3" tall biker?

For example a Trek Remedy size 21,5" have a 483mm reach, and a 1230 mm wheel base.

Thanks!
    As we've discussed earlier, while reach tends to be a decent indicator of what your standing attack position might be, it doesn't do much for your seated fit when pedaling. It's also important to look at the top tube length, even though it's very out of fashion at the moment, it is still important. I'm 6'3 and I think the Large will work fine for me. But I'm probably a few months away from finding out, unless Brian goes into the miracle business sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Thanks Cotharyus.

Which is the shock length?

I've got an old Fox RP23 200mm with 57mm travel perhaps it could fit to this frame.

CTB
    mtbr member
    My 140mm Outburst has a 200x50. Not sure if the Meltdowns are different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    "Not sure if the Meltdowns are different...."

Yes, a little different. Meltdown uses 200mmx57mm
    Last edited by c-dale99; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:10 PM.

because GIANT
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    is Lizard Envy a thing?

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-black-lizard-s.jpg

because GIANT
    !!!!
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Tantrumcycles #1
    Probably yes! We need to see one built up!! What about black links and dropouts to??? Stealth Lizard!!!

www.cyco.no

mtbr member
    Dear Brian.

Is it possible to have also the frame anodised?
    ------------------------------------
    MTB Connection - Ride together
    https://www.mtbconnection.com

mtbr member
    wow, that is intriguing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GaelP View Post
    Thanks Cotharyus.

Which is the shock length?

I've got an old Fox RP23 200mm with 57mm travel perhaps it could fit to this frame.
    Although the physical size of the shock would bolt up, I would not recommend using it.
    I believe the internal TUNE of the shock would be vastly different, this bike requires a much lighter tune than most others.

Brian has it dialed in. I would hate to see you spend good money on this bike and not be getting the full benefits of his design.

I have about 60 miles on my bike now, it still amazing to me how well this bike performs!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Speaking of shocks, a couple random notes:

* I popped open my DVO. Positive side has 5 volume reducers in it, or at least mine did on my Outburst (200x50). I think someone had asked about this somewhere in the 18 pages.
    * If you remove your shock, be slow and careful. There are small washers on each side of the upper shock eye. If you are ham-fisted, you could easily lose or damage them. Take your time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Speaking of shocks, a couple random notes:

* I popped open my DVO. Positive side has 5 volume reducers in it, or at least mine did on my Outburst (200x50). I think someone had asked about this somewhere in the 18 pages.
    * If you remove your shock, be slow and careful. There are small washers on each side of the upper shock eye. If you are ham-fisted, you could easily lose or damage them. Take your time.
    Interesting to know, Thanks
    I have been interested on installing some volume spacers to play with my setup, maybe I should take a peek inside before I go any further??

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    is Lizard Envy a thing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black lizard s.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	1180638

yeah, well MINE is ....ummm...red and stuff

this one is badass. the owner of this wins +1 internets

mtbr member
    About prices when on the website I read '2018 Price will be approximately $2,400', it's only the frame and an X-fusion shock?

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Here she be. is this a southern hemisphere first? Headset issues dealt with (I hope). Rear brake needs a longer hose. Note to taller riders since there is some debate, size L effective TT is actually 640mm and the reach is about 455mm. Thats old school - hence the 130mm stem... First ride tomorrow, wish me luck!

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-img_2103.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashlings View Post
    Here she be.
    Nice build sir! Digging the skinwalls ... goodness me that saddle is high and yeah been a few years since I've used anything like a 130mm stem - old school but the bike still looks great

All the best on your maiden voyage!!
    Last edited by ArtyGreg; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here she be. is this a southern hemisphere first? Headset issues dealt with (I hope). Rear brake needs a longer hose. Note to taller riders since there is some debate, size L effective TT is actually 640mm and the reach is about 455mm. Thats old school - hence the 130mm stem... First ride tomorrow, wish me luck!
    Those numbers don't seem that "old school" at all for a size large. It looks like you just need a larger bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	1181162
    Looks Nice, Mashling!
    I just got my large built up last night. Hope to put some miles on this weekend.
    I think you will be fine, on the large. I was ripping a medium until now. Thanks Brian

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I thought reach was more along the lines of 470-475. Have you ever measured reach before on a frame ? and matched it to published specs ?
    Either way you're a giant if that's how you're setup !

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    Those numbers don't seem that "old school" at all for a size large. It looks like you just need a larger bike!
    In Tantrum World L isn't Large, it's Long. Only I suspect they didn't turn out to be as long as expected. If you look at the geo chart Tantrum L equates to most bike companies XL, but as I say, reality may differ. And yeah, I do need a larger frame but I really wanted to try this suspension for myself so I'll make it work.

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    I thought reach was more along the lines of 470-475. Have you ever measured reach before on a frame ? and matched it to published specs ?
    Either way you're a giant if that's how you're setup !
    Yeah, I know, sometimes it's hard being the only one with a tape measure ; )
    #rocketscience

I'm not the gushy type, still, the first ride was interesting, and promising. I have to spend a lot more time on this bike before I write much because I have been riding and loving a steel hardtail for the last year and my only experience of duallys is 100mm XC bikes, which this really isn't!

I suspect the suspension really does what it's meant to, very active at all times and I can see what Brian means about the forks not keeping up, though mine will take a while to break in from past experience.

I could really do with some advice on the DVO shock set up. I have a feeling mine is not playing nice yet.

And boy, 29" wheels eh? Who thought that was a good idea with slack geo and a 130mm stem? Oh brother...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yeah, I know, sometimes it's hard being the only one with a tape measure ; )
    Fair difference to what Brian has listed as reach, ETT etc - where are you measuring from/to etc if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah... I'm also fairly new to the whole dual squish thing - can't wait to see how the tantrum compares to my current squishy bike :P

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-f4efe1_263da13c99a2412999414cc6372d2ebe%7Emv2.jpg

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyGreg View Post
    Fair difference to what Brian has listed as reach, ETT etc - where are you measuring from/to etc if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah... I'm also fairly new to the whole dual squish thing - can't wait to see how the tantrum compares to my current squishy bike :P

Name:	f4efe1_263da13c99a2412999414cc6372d2ebe~mv2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	1181308
    Sorry I I sounded facetious but Brian has confirmed my measurements on the L frames he had left in stock. Being so tall I tend to obsess about these things so I take these measurements with every new frame I get, you'd be surprised how often they deviate from spec, and they are always shorter-never longer!
    First thing I did when I got the frame was to stick an old seatpost in it, set it up in the stand and rest a long spirit level from the centre-line of the headtube top over to where it cut the seatpost centre-line. I marked this intersection then measured the resulting distance, that's your ETT. Reach doesn't really interest me much but I measured that by holding the level vertically through the BB and taking the distance forwards to the headtube CL as above. Stands to reason if the ETT measurement is shorter the Reach will be too.
    The only distance I actually care about is that from the intersection of saddle top/seatpost CL to the bar CL at my correct saddle height. If that's not 810-820mm I change the stem until it is-hence the 130mm stem here.
    I really don't care what stem length I run as long as it works but this bike really doesn't like the long one at all. Steering is heavy as you initiate a turn and then, wham! Round she snaps, trying to flick you over the front end. I'm trying a shorter stem but there is a limit to how short I can go.
    Will ultimately get an XL frame if I find the suspension works the way I feel it might.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks Mashlings - no worries! I understood where you were coming from so was just intrigued as Brian will confirm I've been obsessing over these measurements also!

Wasn't sure if I should be going for L or M as I measure up as L usually but tend to prefer riding an M... from what I could tell from measuring my current 2 bikes (one M and the other L) The M Tantrum should sit bang between the two ... as I find my M a little cramped and my L a tad stretched .... hoping the Tantrum will be spot on

Hope you can figure out your set up - can imagine a long stem would be less than ideal!

Yeah sounds like a plan! How wide are your bars btw? I wonder if you could give yourself a little extra by widening cockpit a little?

mtbr member
    Hi everyone. Iíve been traveling, so havenít posted in lately. As of last Friday, ALL Kickstarter frames had been received and ALL Kickstarter complete bikes have been shipped.

As of this writing, all have been received except the complete bike to Australia, which is going thru customs

While there are still a few post KS frames to deliver (Preston, Greg) I couldnít squeeze them out before I left last weekend

Why did I leave?? BluesCruise. 7 days of on a ship with 50 top line blues acts (including Kenny Wayne Sheppard and Buddy guy) and 2-3 jams per day/night. Last nite I had Walter Troutís drummer sit in on my set

I had this planned since I went last year. In my wildest dreams I never thought Iíd still be delivering bikes, so it was really nice to be able to complete the Kickstarter before leaving

Iíll be back next week to wrap up the rest of you guys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    Hi everyone. Iíve been traveling, so havenít posted in lately. As of last Friday, ALL Kickstarter frames had been received and ALL Kickstarter complete bikes have been shipped.

As of this writing, all have been received except the complete bike to Australia, which is going thru customs

While there are still a few post KS frames to deliver (Preston, Greg) I couldnít squeeze them out before I left last weekend

Why did I leave?? BluesCruise. 7 days of on a ship with 50 top line blues acts (including Kenny Wayne Sheppard and Buddy guy) and 2-3 jams per day/night. Last nite I had Walter Troutís drummer sit in on my set

I had this planned since I went last year. In my wildest dreams I never thought Iíd still be delivering bikes, so it was really nice to be able to complete the Kickstarter before leaving

Iíll be back next week to wrap up the rest of you guys
    Buddy Guy. That's fantastic. I play also the harmonica and sing the blues. I've got the chance to see 2 times in live Bob Margolin, for us from Europe hearing real blues musicians is really rare. You're a lucky guy.

Here is a song that you've certainly played many times. Sorry for the accent. Got my mojo worrking .
    Last edited by GaelP; 1 Week Ago at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have been out of any serious mountain biking for around 10 years. When I stumbled across the Kickstarter campaign it (the frame design) really caught my attention. I received my frame December 28th and built it up the first week of January. I live in western New York. Even with the snow and cold I have been out a half dozen times on the bike. I can't give a real review since most of the riding has been on bike paths and 4 wheeler trails. The first couple rides were a learning experience since I have only ever rode 26" wheeled bikes. Going to a 27.5 + bike with a slack head angle was a big change. The last couple of rides I have felt much more at home on the bike. I am excited to be back into riding again and look forward to putting a lot of miles on the bike this year.

After reading about some of you using a dropper post I have been considering going that route. My one question is how did you all run the cable for the dropper post? My guess is using the internal routing from the upper right side of the down tube but wasn't sure about the bend the cable would need to go around the bottom bracket? Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180210_151217.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Nice build Instigator! Awesome to hear you're getting back into riding again

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Bomboloni tire - I'll be going for something similar I reckon ... surprised to find out it's 3"... what size have you fitted to the back?

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ArtyGreg,

I have a Maxxis Rekon 2.6 on the rear. After I purchase the 29er dropouts from Brian I plan on putting a 3.0" Bomboloni on the rear also. May of last year when I was buying all the parts for the Tantrum I found a great deal on the pair of Bomboloni's new take offs.

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator24 View Post

After reading about some of you using a dropper post I have been considering going that route. My one question is how did you all run the cable for the dropper post? My guess is using the internal routing from the upper right side of the down tube but wasn't sure about the bend the cable would need to go around the bottom bracket? Any help would be appreciated.
    You are correct, it routes from the upper right side through the bottom bracket area and up the seat tube. It is easier to do with the bb removed and issues have been reported with bbs made for 30 mm spindles.

monkey
    Aug 2014
    Hi all,
    Just a cautionary note about that bloody awful rear brake routing. Had to cut short a ride yesterday when there was a big bang crossing a creek bed. Thought I'd bottomed out the rear end, which was odd as I never bottom out anything. Next time I pulled on the rear brake the lever came all the way to the bar - nothing. Turns out the brake hose had moved during the ride and been crushed between the shock body and the weld round the shock socket. This is despite following the instructions here about taping the cable in an arc around the shock and checking before each ride. Some cosmetic damage to shock, nixed rear brake hose and shock and BB contaminated with brake fluid. Very glad its Shimano mineral oil not Dot fluid. Anyway, be extra careful with the routing as the action of the suspension tends to pull the hose towards the shock over time and I can foresee damage to the shock air sleeve resulting in no suspension if you are especially unlucky. It was a big bang!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-image1.jpg  

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-image2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator24 View Post
    ArtyGreg,

I have a Maxxis Rekon 2.6 on the rear. After I purchase the 29er dropouts from Brian I plan on putting a 3.0" Bomboloni on the rear also. May of last year when I was buying all the parts for the Tantrum I found a great deal on the pair of Bomboloni's new take offs.
    Cheers Instigator, just so I'm clear ... you're running 27.5x3" front and 27.5x2.6" rear at the moment... but are you switching to 29x3" F&R or just need the 29er dropouts to fit a 27.5x3" on the rear??

I'll be trying to keep weight down as much as possible so nice to see the Bomboloni 27.5x3" isn't too hefty at 890g for 'TNT' version.

Edit... Yikes Mashlings - what a bummer! thanks for the heads up though - will be keeping a close eye on mine once I get it built up! (Sorting final details with Brian before he gets mine packaged up and on it's way )

because GIANT
    Brake line routing is solvable by a nylon tie wrap as seen here ahead of pocket
    [also will be solved in next and future runs]

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

brake line routing

Sorry to see that Mashling.
    Like you my brake line was a bit short, so I bypass the one clip. This has been problem free over a 160mi. now. Blessing in disguise?
    How are getting along with the large frame? I have been on my large frame now for two weeks at 6' 4". 810mm bar width, 50mm stem
    I'm Loving it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-tantrum1-800x600-.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member
    Installed my new crankset today, which is Boost. From what I see, a 32T oval will not fit, even with a Boost crankset. I have a 30T oval (which is the size of a 32T on the long axis), and the clearance there looks like it will not be enough if you want to run a 32T oval or a 34T round.

DSC06410a by ctbtyper, on Flickr

Tantrumcycles #1
    Installed my new crankset today, which is Boost. From what I see, a 32T oval will not fit, even with a Boost crankset. I have a 30T oval (which is the size of a 32T on the long axis), and the clearance there looks like it will not be enough if you want to run a 32T oval or a 34T round.

Oooooh I used to like bar-ends. But those bull-horns hurts my eye's Fun to see a Tantrum with em doe. I've coincidering trying http://www.spirgrips.com or the sq lab equivalent https://www.sq-lab.com/shop/Innerbarends/
    Seems allot easier to swap positions on for comfort and rest

Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

CTB
    mtbr member
    We have trees where I live, and they don't move when you run a little wide and smack your hand into them. My Ergons have saved my hands and brake levers more times than I can count, so I really don't care at all that they aren't in fashion. As a bonus, they are a nice place to grip when powering up a sudden, short climb.

The stubby bar ends were killers (they'd hook the bike right out from under you), but I've never hooked one of these Ergons.

monkey
    Aug 2014

Im running a 32T Absolute Black oval on a non boost Shimano crankset by chucking 4mm of spacers behind the drive side BB cup. Probably not recommended long term but there is plenty of clearance until my boost cranks turn up. Don't see why there should be clearance issues with boost if the cranks do actually have 3mm offset. Guess I'll find out...

CTB
    mtbr member
    Mashlings, definitely let us know what you find. I'm using a Shimano M8000 XT boost crank, Absolute Black 30T, and one drive-side spacer in the BB, as per usual Shimano instructions. My chainline appears to be right on 53mm. I'll post pics tomorrow showing the tightest clearance location.

Tantrumcycles #1
    We have trees where I live, and they don't move when you run a little wide and smack your hand into them. My Ergons have saved my hands and brake levers more times than I can count, so I really don't care at all that they aren't in fashion. As a bonus, they are a nice place to grip when powering up a sudden, short climb.

The stubby bar ends were killers (they'd hook the bike right out from under you), but I've never hooked one of these Ergons.
    I agree short bar ends are a no-no. I swapped from bull-horns to some short ergo one's. (When I as the last one around could not stand the pressure of fashion ) Manage to hook on a thick bush within a few weeks. After I went for bikes that alters the climbing geometry (the manual adjusted Scot Genius and the tantrum predecessor, Kona Abracadabra) I no longer feel the need for barends for climbing since I prefer more or less technic trails that needs frequent gear changes. And the Missinglink improves climbing so much more then altering hand positing can .. But I sometimes miss the option of resting in a more aerodynamic position that the inside grisp give.
    Keep on rocki'n your bullride! :-)

Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It interests me seeing these bike builds. Here we have a bike claiming to be at the pinnacle of technology, with new designs and concepts never experienced before, and most of the bike build kits owners are choosing put the rest of the bike at 2005 tech! No droppers, long stems, narrow bars, 2x drive trains, bar ends, etc. I'm not being critical, I just think it's an interesting outcome.

CTB
    mtbr member
    This was about the best angle I could get showing the clearance to the chainstay with the Absolute Black 30T oval chain ring and M8000 Boost crankset at the tightest point in the rotation. Click on it for a bigger view.

2018-02-18_09-39-37 by ctbtyper, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Aaaaand it's arrived!! 3days ahead of shedule

Rubbish lighting but first glimpse of my colour choice

More pics to follow as I start the build

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180219_212420.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    It interests me seeing these bike builds. Here we have a bike claiming to be at the pinnacle of technology, with new designs and concepts never experienced before, and most of the bike build kits owners are choosing put the rest of the bike at 2005 tech! No droppers, long stems, narrow bars, 2x drive trains, bar ends, etc. I'm not being critical, I just think it's an interesting outcome.
    Ah yes, herd mentality at its best
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

monkey
    Aug 2014
    This was about the best angle I could get showing the clearance to the chainstay with the Absolute Black 30T oval chain ring and M8000 Boost crankset at the tightest point in the rotation. Click on it for a bigger view.

2018-02-18_09-39-37 by ctbtyper, on Flickr
    Hi CBT,
    Do you think you'd have enough clearance without the BB spacer? Looking at mine, I could remove a spacer down to 3mm and still get enough gap with a 32T so boost cranks shouldn't need any spacers? If I'm going to need spacers anyway I might as well stick with the crank I have.
    Still waiting for a brake hose... getting fidgety, might swap those dropouts and put some proper sized wheels in!

CTB
    mtbr member
    It looks like my 30T oval would JUST clear at the tight spot without the BB spacer in there. That would give it a 50.5 chainline since the spacers are 2.5mm each. So I'd say there's no way a 32T oval would clear without the spacer. Pretty sure it won't clear with the spacer, either, but that's a bit of a guess based on what I've tried (32T oval with 49mm chainline = crashed into chainstay; worked with a ~57mm chainline). A 32T round would, but not 32T oval.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Better photos of the frame as some nice sun out today

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180220_134014.jpg
    Loving the decal colour match :P

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180220_134114.jpg
    Frame 45 ... hopefully one of the first of many to be released into the wild

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180220_134002.jpg
    Nice lil message on the BB from BB! - thanks man!

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-20180220_134323.jpg
    Close up of this interesting Walnut blasted clearcoat finish.

Currently planning which parts I'll need to get hold of / whether to go whole hog new build... VERY tempting as I LOVE building bikes almost as much as riding them... but I think I hear my bank balance screaming... so for now you'll have to excuse some colour clashing from my commencal's neon green colour scheme.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718