Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 1,501 to 1,599 of 1599
    because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    oh, don't worry. I won't "hurt" her....
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    damn that orange one is smokin
    +1 What he said

edit: your last post @_____@;
    Last edited by ArtyGreg; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah it looks really nice but it drives me nuts the stickers and anodizing on the shock don't match.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    IMO, ETT becomes important when you run out of range in seat adjustment, which happens to be the case for me.

I require a very long bike, and there are limits to how much you can adjust the seat. I'm currently running an XL with an ETT of 25.7, 3/4" offset seatpost, and seat pushed all the way back on the rails, 80mm stem.

Any shorter on the ETT is a negative for me in this case, regardless of reach.
    Yeah, I have tried in the past to extend that effective top tube length by using offset droppers and sliding my seat way back, but it makes the bikes pedal poorly. It's best to have a really long reach and have the seat slid right up over the cranks.

On my current Yeti, I put the longest stem I could get in my preferred renthal model and slamed my bars all the way down and got a high-rise bar that helped give me a longer effective reach and allowed my seat to be in a more neutral position over the cranks, it really helps me pedal better.

The proper solution would have been for Yeti to have made the reach on my 5.5 about 1.5" longer, and then I coulda ran a nice short stem which works better actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you're ever doing aggressive downhill or Enduro runs yeah, it's super important when you're standing on the pedals, that your hands fall in a natural place, not like your hands are touching your knees, that's a tough position to be in when you're going downhill and your balance isn't right. That's really the most important aggressive bike riding dimension in my opinion. You don't really notice if it's off if you just do a few runs here and there, but when you go to the bike park it's astounding how much work you're doing to support your hands. It's right when all your weight is just on the pedals and your hands are just holding on for balance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quite interested in your suspension design, but have one major issue with its current layout. Bent seat tube. Fitting an acceptable length (for my riding conditions) dropper post doesnt look remotely possible.

Something to consider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm still up in the air on sizing. 6'1, height-proportional arms, but 35.5" inseam.

On my current XC bike with a 485mm seat tube, I've got 4" of external post showing on my straight 150mm dropper with 175mm cranks. While the frame's ESTA is 73.5D, having the seat this high drops the angle nearer to 72D. My saddle is 3/4" forward in the rails to compensate. Moving it any further back feels inefficient pedaling, like I'm pushing myself off the back of the bike.

Frame ETT is 617 and reach/stack is 428/636 (accounting for spacers). This is paired with an 80mm -7D stem and 730mm bars with a 15mm rise and 9D backsweep.

So, yeah. Even the medium Tantrum has 2cm more ETT and (at least) 3cm more reach.

But who picks a medium at 6'1? And if large seems more height-appropriate, that's what, 470mm reach? That'd be a *big* change. I tried a Santa Cruz 5010 in XL (654 ETT, 475 reach) with a 50ish stem and it felt *awful*. Like piloting a wheelbarrow or a chopper motorcycle. Understeering all over the place, no agility. I couldn't seem to get myself forward enough to weight the front wheel.

The "slack" side of long and slack, I'm cool with. But long? Is the idea to pick what's comfortable or do I need to learn how to ride again?

* Brian, a complicating factor here is that I still haven't seen current geometry figures for the Tantrum. As I pointed out in another thread, what I'm calculating for reach/stack (a calculator validated against other bike brands) doesn't match the input figures I've seen on your site and in these threads. This is really important.
    Every wide-range cassette: https://goo.gl/CEVL6f

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    But who picks a medium at 6'1?
    umm ... me? :P

I'm a touch under 6'2" height proportional arms but slightly less inseam @ almost 35" Have always measured up as L (or XL in some cases) but just prefer the feel of a Medium to ride ... I guess it's because I tend to enjoy a more nimble bike I can move about easily ... I have to say I am more comfortable for longer XC rides on a large but the grin factor is less and I like grin factor!
    Having inspected and measured my current Medium (feels a tad short) and Large (feels a bit stretched) the tantrum Medium reach falls bang in the centre of both but the ETT is longer than both (a good 4cm longer than the Medium and 1.7cm longer than the Large)... always loved short stems so sounding good to me!

For me this is pretty exciting as seems it will take the general concept behind the geometry of my current Medium bike* to a whole other level!

By this I mean - ETT being longer creating a more roomy cockpit when seated and pedalling... yet reach not being crazy long so my hope is will be a little more like a comfy Large when seated and a Fun Medium when standing... the Long Tantrum just seems crazy long to me but there are a number here that seem to love the fit.

(*a Marin Rocky Ridge from 2010 with it's 'AXC' (aggressive cross country geometry) that results in the long travel fork not bobbing around and sapping energy when seated and pedalling ... yet stand up for downhills and fun stuff and bam - full on playful bike with plenty of very active travel up front).

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    I'm still up in the air on sizing. 6'1, height-proportional arms, but 35.5" inseam.

On my current XC bike with a 485mm seat tube, I've got 4" of external post showing on my straight 150mm dropper with 175mm cranks. While the frame's ESTA is 73.5D, having the seat this high drops the angle nearer to 72D. My saddle is 3/4" forward in the rails to compensate. Moving it any further back feels inefficient pedaling, like I'm pushing myself off the back of the bike.

Frame ETT is 617 and reach/stack is 428/636 (accounting for spacers). This is paired with an 80mm -7D stem and 730mm bars with a 15mm rise and 9D backsweep.

So, yeah. Even the medium Tantrum has 2cm more ETT and (at least) 3cm more reach.

But who picks a medium at 6'1? And if large seems more height-appropriate, that's what, 470mm reach? That'd be a *big* change. I tried a Santa Cruz 5010 in XL (654 ETT, 475 reach) with a 50ish stem and it felt *awful*. Like piloting a wheelbarrow or a chopper motorcycle. Understeering all over the place, no agility. I couldn't seem to get myself forward enough to weight the front wheel.

The "slack" side of long and slack, I'm cool with. But long? Is the idea to pick what's comfortable or do I need to learn how to ride again?

* Brian, a complicating factor here is that I still haven't seen current geometry figures for the Tantrum. As I pointed out in another thread, what I'm calculating for reach/stack (a calculator validated against other bike brands) doesn't match the input figures I've seen on your site and in these threads. This is really important.
    So yeah. Brian made some comments at one point about sizing a Medium frame for the "average" height and sizing up and down from there. That means that his frames are going to be a little larger than a lot of others, but not equal to a whole size larger. It does mean some people will size down. For instance, I usually ride an XL or XXL depending on who made it. Obviously I'm looking at the Large from Tantrum. I do agree though, access to an updated Geo chart might clarify things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    If you're ever doing aggressive downhill or Enduro runs yeah, it's super important when you're standing on the pedals, that your hands fall in a natural place, not like your hands are touching your knees, that's a tough position to be in when you're going downhill and your balance isn't right. That's really the most important aggressive bike riding dimension in my opinion. You don't really notice if it's off if you just do a few runs here and there, but when you go to the bike park it's astounding how much work you're doing to support your hands. It's right when all your weight is just on the pedals and your hands are just holding on for balance.

don't you think stack and rise affect those aspects as well? And then we pretty much took the saddle out of the equation anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmxtrdr View Post
    Quite interested in your suspension design, but have one major issue with its current layout. Bent seat tube. Fitting an acceptable length (for my riding conditions) dropper post doesnt look remotely possible.

Something to consider.
    that's a tight spot for sure. For many, no problem, but if you're a "tweener, it can be. if you scroll thru the reviews, you can see various comments on dropper insertion

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    So yeah. Brian made some comments at one point about sizing a Medium frame for the "average" height and sizing up and down from there. That means that his frames are going to be a little larger than a lot of others, but not equal to a whole size larger. It does mean some people will size down. For instance, I usually ride an XL or XXL depending on who made it. Obviously I'm looking at the Large from Tantrum. I do agree though, access to an updated Geo chart might clarify things.
    Part of the issue here is that I decided to make only 3 frame sizes for the first batch. mostly to void complication/additional cost, but also to avoid the possibility of getting stuck with leftover frames that are too far outside the bell curve.

Also, a HUGE factor is the moving target that is geo. Not only genuine advancements, but also trends (both good and bad).

Not to mention to incredibly interwoven matrices: one being the assemblage of all of the interdependent geo numbers, the second being the infinite matrix of human body proportions and fit. oh, NOT minor point, personal preference and riding conditions.

I called mine Short, Med and Long, more to represent the TT and reach numbers. I tried to keep the ST as short as possible for each size, taking advantage of the extra extension of droppers for tall guys. Even though, as noted, it cost a bit of insertion...

I'll post some updated geo numbers. I'be been compiling the various combos. And if you think it's as simple as pulling it off the computer.....well, only if you have every tire diameter you might use, every fork length you might use, etc...and those change by the nano second.

Some of the options didn't even exist when I first drew the frames.

mtbr member
    ALL FRAMES DELIVERED!!!!!.....not

that's the New Year's update I wanted to post. but the holiday season work slowdown has conspired against getting the 29er dropouts out of anodizing before Christmas, or even last year....

But I can say that I have all the frames built (sorry Greg, Powder coater didn't finish yours either so you don't count, for now) and ready for a quick dropout swap. 3 of these get full build and a few of them are mine....

And I need to get them out of my studio

Happy New YearNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-frames-guitars-2-s.jpg

mtbr member

that's the New Year's update I wanted to post. but the holiday season work slowdown has conspired against getting the 29er dropouts out of anodizing before Christmas, or even last year....

But I can say that I have all the frames built (sorry Greg, Powder coater didn't finish yours either so you don't count, for now) and ready for a quick dropout swap. 3 of these get full build and a few of them are mine....

Happy New YearClick image for larger version. 

Name:	frames and guitars 2 s.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	1175580
    Out of curiosity, how many frames did you do in your first run? Really looking forward to coming across one of these things and throwing a leg over one day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Happy New YearClick image for larger version. 

Name:	frames and guitars 2 s.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	1175580
    No worries Brian - hope you guys got a bit of rest over holidays!

Ooh from that pic looks like you've got most of my future order ready for when I win the lottery 'one of each please...' :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many frames did you do in your first run? Really looking forward to coming across one of these things and throwing a leg over one day.
    I made 60 total. Out of those, probably count 10 for me (including EN testing (((full pass))), show/demo, etc.

There are a few frames left after KS. I won't be sure until the dust settles and I can do final QC on everything remaining. I still have some out of tolerance parts to deal with. I will also be saving some for spares.

Here's a better pic of the frames. Can you guess who got most of the kickstarter money besides my frame factory?? DVO couldn't have been more deserving. In the end, even though ALL of the demos and rave reviews were done with the XFusion shock, about 90% opted to upgrade to the DVO. And DVO came through big time for me.

I understand that my business is barely enough to be a pain in the ass to some of the big players. I'm grateful this isn't the case everywhere.New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-frames-guitars-3-s.jpg

because GIANT
    is it the root beer with murdered out linky bits and butt ?

that is badass.

I want a refund as now my hammered lizard w/ red links sucks. shoulda gone root beer or black cherry with black arse. I cry now
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    I made 60 total. Out of those, probably count 10 for me (including EN testing (((full pass))), show/demo, etc.

There are a few frames left after KS. I won't be sure until the dust settles and I can do final QC on everything remaining. I still have some out of tolerance parts to deal with. I will also be saving some for spares.

Here's a better pic of the frames. Can you guess who got most of the kickstarter money besides my frame factory?? DVO couldn't have been more deserving. In the end, even though ALL of the demos and rave reviews were done with the XFusion shock, about 90% opted to upgrade to the DVO. And DVO came through big time for me.

I understand that my business is barely enough to be a pain in the ass to some of the big players. I'm grateful this isn't the case everywhere.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frames and guitars 3 s.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	1175801
    Looks like a little piece of heaven. I hope that your dream comes true and the design trickles down to the masses.

because GIANT
    ^it should

the bottom line is, that missing link mechanism provides a 'sweet bump eating ride and climbs like no ones business'. ANY bike company would be mistaken if they don't license that design, IMHO. it is that good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyGreg View Post
    No worries Brian - hope you guys got a bit of rest over holidays!

Ooh from that pic looks like you've got most of my future order ready for when I win the lottery 'one of each please...' :P
    pshhh, rest? what is that? I don't understand. no rest for the wicked.

I'm just wondering why nobody works THIS week...

But......I have your frame.

not your ano bits yet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    is it the root beer with murdered out linky bits and butt ?

that is badass.

I want a refund as now my hammered lizard w/ red links sucks. shoulda gone root beer or black cherry with black arse. I cry now
    sharp eye. I will give you a refund because then can sell your bike for more than you paid for it.......But wait until you see the new coloured (I did that on purpose) ano bits.

On the lizard frame.

You're gonna want double your money back and cry all night....if/when I get the F@#**!!!Xx+&^%G parts out of ano......promised tomorrow. Tear inducing pics to follow

for now, rootbeer. Funny, this guy rides currently rides a hardtail because suspension bikes pedal like shit
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-rootbeer-11s.jpgNew innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-rootbeer.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post
    Looks like a little piece of heaven. I hope that your dream comes true and the design trickles down to the masses.
    thanks. I pretty much have to admit that I'm living the dream. Sure, my honest engineering and rider opinion is that this design should become the new standard of what we expect out of a mtb suspension bike and should be on ALL brands.

Marin/Polygon/live valve notwithstanding.

I also know that's not gonna happen. And that would be no fun, anyway.

But by starting my own bike company, I insured that I can get my art out, if not to "the masses", at least to some very appreciative core riders.

I hate to say it in public, but I'm 60. As in years fvckin old. This and playing music are my end game. And those activities will probably conspire to keep me at both as long as I breathe, maybe longer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

But......I have your frame.
    Whoohoo!

not your ano bits yet
    dag-nammitt!

But wait until you see the new coloured (I did that on purpose) ano bits.

And yet another cracker of a colour combo with that rootbeer/black

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    >parts out of ano......promised tomorrow

Brian gets the parts tomorrow, works all weekend getting the frames ready, ships them out Monday, we all have our bikes by Friday of next week. Sounds good to me !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    >parts out of ano......promised tomorrow
    I didn't say which tomorrow

mtbr member
    > ships them out Monday,
    there's a lot of spray painting and borderline graffiti involved in this last step.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Brian gets the parts tomorrow, works all weekend getting the frames ready, ships them out Monday, we all have our bikes by Friday of next week. Sounds good to me !

there's a lot of spray painting and borderline graffiti involved in this last step.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm just wondering why nobody works THIS week...
    I have been building trail ALL WEEK. And that's definitely work since I'm getting paid for it. And that thing I emailed you about? It's a go. So you have more work to do when you finish those bikes.

If I have to come to Indiana to sort this out, I'll bring my axe. We can do it over a jam session.

mtbr member
    Good thing I didn't say which tomorrow. because it's so cold here, the anodizing place is struggling to keep the tanks at the right temp......They said they just couldn't run them.

But, the also said it's warming up to the 20's and possibly 30's by Monday and they PROMISED to do them then. I believe them. I've been using them for 20 yrs.

heavy sigh

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Good thing I didn't say which tomorrow. because it's so cold here, the anodizing place is struggling to keep the tanks at the right temp......They said they just couldn't run them.

But, the also said it's warming up to the 20's and possibly 30's by Monday and they PROMISED to do them then. I believe them. I've been using them for 20 yrs.

heavy sigh
    Just checked and you're dealing with -13c right now?? yikes.. I remember how cold that felt when I visited Canada a while back!

It's ok man - of course we all want our shiny new frames yesterday but I rather wait a little bit more and have a quality result than rush things through

CTB
    mtbr member
    -13C? HA! It was -4F this morning (so -20C) when I went to work today. Glad the anodizer isn't up here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    -13C? HA! It was -4F this morning (so -20C) when I went to work today. Glad the anodizer isn't up here.
    That was our HIGH , ok?? The low was -15 F. it only hurts when you breath. I won't try to compete with the lake effeect for nasty winter weather. I spent some formative years on the shores of Lake Ontario (Rochester, NY) under 6 feet of snow for 6 months a year.

As near as I can remember.

So you guys know how to deal with it. Waaaaaayyy down south here in indy, we're a bit more fair weather. Like, c'com, above zero and keep snowfall down to less than 6" at a time OR aLL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!. Who an I kidding, it breaks loose with 1"

Since I don't have parts, here's your gratutatous Group 44 Jaguar XJR-7 pic

This was at Watkins Glen, 1987. Since the designer of the car left at the beginning of '86, my job was to develop the car. Together with the vast experience of the crew chief and drivers, we made it a race winner.

This car had carbon fibre disc brakes. In 1987. I teamed up the the supplier to F1 and were the first to run them in endurance sports cars. We were the only team that ran them in the 24hrs of daytona that year.

You will notice some fairly ugly sheetmetal fabricated rear brake ducts. Sorry, it was quick slammybammy in those days.

This car also featured a front radiator to solve the chronic overheating of the big V12. You can tell by the grill in front and a hood bulge to accommodate the rad and exit duct under the windshield.

You won't see this in the XJR5 or original 7. Lee (the original designer) was adamantly against it (for aero reasons). But the thing was running at 260-280 degrees F in hot weather. We were running completely sealed systems to keep the pressure up to avoid boiling.

You'll also notice wheel fans. Which increased downforce, which Bob the driver liked, but sucked all the carbon brake dust out onto his pretty white car, which Bob the owner HATED. The driver always won. I loved Bob for that. I told him the next brakes would be diamond and have glittery white dust.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-jag-glen-w.jpg

mtbr member
    The low was -15 F.
    For fvcks sake.

I constantly vascillate on the quality of life in smog city. This makes me feel a little better.

Trail Ninja
    So you guys know how to deal with it. Waaaaaayyy down south here in indy, we're a bit more fair weather. Like, c'com, above zero and keep snowfall down to less than 6" at a time OR aLL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!. Who an I kidding, it breaks loose with 1"
    I was about to say. A tiny bit of snow in the south is like a similar amount of rain in Cali. Drivers just have no clue anymore. Traffic is expected to be congested due to accidents in such conditions.

I've hydroplaned in dense fog on roads outside of San Diego (headed to Noble Canyon), and that was the scariest moment I had on the road. It was sudden heavy driving rain, from clear conditions below. I couldn't see squat. Lights from other cars could only be seen within a matter of feet, perhaps 10' max (~1 car length). In contrast, I drove a moving truck, a lightly loaded U-haul, from FL to NY during the blizzard (winter '09). I actually had a blast going down Bear Mountain (Route 9W), since the roads were completely empty, as it was late at night, and a good layer of powder was mostly untouched. Visibility with so much snowfall was far better than expected (didn't have much driving experience in snow at the time). I'd have a problem if there was a traction differential, from high grip to low grip, but if it's low grip all the time, it's no stress at all.

It's this differential that's the big factor in what we "feel", especially for things we can't actually see/anticipate, from being able to cope with low temps, to feeling if a bike's confidence inspiring or sketchy as F. A rider takes a risk by going beyond a known minimum, even if they know the maximum performance level is well above the minimum. Like if you slipped and fell on some greasy rocks and roots before a switchback, that can throw you off for the entire rest of the ride, even if it's 98% hero dirt elsewhere. If you go into -15F from 65F indoors... yea, you had better cover every inch of exposed skin else that's gonna be a shock.

So what do people do for -15F? Start throwing money at SmartWool, or stay indoors and throw money instead at the utility bill?

LOL @ the wheel fan story. Thanks for the story behind the pic.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Goodness gracious ... ok -15f is COLD! ... my brother who worked at the same Canadian camp I did (we both managed and maintained a fleet of bikes used by an adventure camp near a small ex mining town in the Rockies) said it used to go down to similar temps in the colder months... all silly numbers compared to the UK... half a snowflake over here and the country grinds to a halt... although I will say at camp I used to stroll about in a single thin layer on mornings of -10c as it was a much drier cold... wouldn't walk about in a single layer over here until much warmer... humid cold is plain miserable.

Ha - love hearing about your good ol days - fantastic pic too! I remember having a die-cast model of a similar-ish Jag... I know very little technically about car racing but doesn't stop me appreciating the machines and what goes into creating them.
    Last edited by ArtyGreg; 1 Week Ago at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I've hydroplaned in dense fog on roads outside of San Diego (headed to Noble Canyon), and that was the scariest moment I had on the road. It was sudden heavy driving rain, from clear conditions below. I couldn't see squat. Lights from other cars could only be seen within a matter of feet, perhaps 10' max (~1 car length). In contrast, I drove a moving truck from FL to NY during the blizzard (winter '09). I actually had a blast going down Bear Mountain (Route 9W), since the roads were completely empty, as it was late at night, and a good layer of powder was mostly untouched. It's only a problem when there's a traction differential, from high grip to low grip... if it's low grip all the time, it's no stress at all.
    hehe ah that reminds me of being a passenger with my older bro winter driving in Wales (UK) ... bit of a 'fun' guy to sit next to on all those thin winding roads... had a similar hydroplane moment coming over the brow of a hill late at night in a heavy storm - what a weird sensation... Another occasion after a decent snowfall we were out 'enjoying' the snow in his car and driving out of a turning we end up doing a full unintentional 360 before carrying on driving down the road - bearing in mind the road is only just wide enough for the car sideways ... good memories

nothing to see here
    Currently 103f heading to a top of around 108f in Melbourne, Australia
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

WillWorkForTrail
    I was about to say. A tiny bit of snow in the south is like a similar amount of rain in Cali. Drivers just have no clue anymore. Traffic is expected to be congested due to accidents in such conditions.
    You should try Nashville. We get the best of both worlds. When they forecast snow here, there are accidents (people rushing to the grocery store), fights as the eggs, milk, and bread run out (I guess it's a southern tradition to have french toast when it snows?), then the state salts the roads, it rains washing all the salt away, then starts snowing, and they wait 12 hours to start warming up the plows, meanwhile, everything freezes solid under that skim of snow, and the whole world comes crashing down. Of course, rain will bring drivers down a good 30 to 40 mph in driving speed around here as well, and heaven forbid it rain if the temperature is below 40, because then the maximum speed limit for most people is about 15 mph because it COULD freeze solid any second.

As a young farm boy, when I was nearly old enough to drive and it snowed, my father would give me to the keys to his truck and send me off to an open field to "learn how to drive in the snow" ...which I suppose worked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    For fvcks sake.

I constantly vascillate on the quality of life in smog city. This makes me feel a little better.
    sure. when the whole state isn't on fire.

Nothing's burning here except maybe the odd mobile home using a space heater or maybe a meth lab or two.

mtbr member
    I have been building trail ALL WEEK. And that's definitely work since I'm getting paid for it. And that thing I emailed you about? It's a go. So you have more work to do when you finish those bikes.

If I have to come to Indiana to sort this out, I'll bring my axe. We can do it over a jam session.
    can you hydroform tubes, machine parts and weld frames??

mtbr member

So what do people do for -15F? Start throwing money at SmartWool, or stay indoors and throw money instead at the utility bill?
    I have plenty of smartwool socks. but I pretty much stay in if it's below zero. I don't even like to breath when I walk form my house to my shop (about 100 feet). My nose hair instantly freezes.

Plenty of stuff to do inside. All the stuff I put off all year because it was too nice a day to waste and I had to go ride. You know, since it's my job and everything.

But starting tomorrow, back up in to the 30's and dare I say it, the 40's this week!!!! I'll be out there in shorts and a t shirt basking.

mtbr member
    As a young farm boy, when I was nearly old enough to drive and it snowed, my father would give me to the keys to his truck and send me off to an open field to "learn how to drive in the snow" ...which I suppose worked.
    yep. Did that with my son and daughter as well. They can also drive a stick, whatever that is. But you know, that was when driving was supposed to be fun, but a serious responsibility. We took pride in being good at it and passing that on. I think the 55 mph speed limit killed a lot of that.

When I lived with my dad, before driver's license, sometimes he would go on the road for a week or 2 to play music, leaving me to fend. Since he rebuilt wrecks as a side job, there was always something I could get fired up and take out desert womping with my friends.

The trick was always to park it in EXACTLY the same spot and/or fix any damage before he got home.

WillWorkForTrail
    can you hydroform tubes, machine parts and weld frames??
    Well, I've never hydroformed anything, but I have run a manual (non-cnc) machine and done a bit of machining ....if RC car parts count... and welding? I don't like to brag, but I was taught to weld by a master fabricator. In fact, I haven't got much room to brag. I CAN weld - nothing I've ever stuck together has come apart again. But sometimes it ain't pretty.

WillWorkForTrail

The trick was always to park it in EXACTLY the same spot and/or fix any damage before he got home.
    This same advice applied to getting into the liquor/moonshine stash....

CTB
    mtbr member
    I managed to get a bike ride in yesterday, starting at 16F and ending at 21F. Wasn't even cold, thanks to 200 layers of clothes and a wise purchase for boots. But now we are above freezing, and all the hard-packed snow is now mush and mud. No more riding.

Love the Group44 stuff. Also love that Tullius let the driver side win out over the owner side.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Living in MN, USA I'm used to the cold but this stretch has been long one. Finally got a break from a few weeks of daytime highs of -10f to 0f yesterday. It was a blistering 27f out. Went for a brief ride and enjoyed being outside again. Really wish I could ride the Tantrum but winter riding on the local trails require a minimum of 3.8" tires. its ride my Surly Pugsley or stay home.

So, how far south do you have to go to ride on dirt in relative warmth?

CTB
    mtbr member
    You can get ok temps by going as far as Roanoke, VA, where I went a week before Christmas (it was an 8-hour drive each way for me). But the weather now may mean wet trails are the downfall. Better off heading to the southwest.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by finnlander View Post
    Living in MN, USA I'm used to the cold but this stretch has been long one. Finally got a break from a few weeks of daytime highs of -10f to 0f yesterday. It was a blistering 27f out. Went for a brief ride and enjoyed being outside again. Really wish I could ride the Tantrum but winter riding on the local trails require a minimum of 3.8" tires. its ride my Surly Pugsley or stay home.

What is relative warmth? If I were in Minnesota looking for a place to ride in the middle of winter, I'd drive directly south as much as possible to minimize overall travel. You drop down a couple states, you have Bentonville - were I suspect if you find a local to help you out, you can reliably ride for a non-trivial part of the winter, you just need the local tap to sort out conditions based on weather systems. For instance, in Nashville, right now, there's maybe one trail you can ride. Maybe the same for Bentonville. But in two weeks? Maybe all but one trail will be open. Depends on how much rain we get and whether it freezes again. Or you could head for Arizona. If the desert isn't quite your thing, even Florida has some decent trails. For more technical stuff, seek out trails that include old quarries.

mtbr member
    This same advice applied to getting into the liquor/moonshine stash....
    no way. That was his bottle of Crown Royal. Too expensive to replace. Too tricky to dilute. I wasn't gonna mess with his bottle, just steal his cars.

About 5 years ago, my younger brother and I went for a visit. I brought a bottle of Crown and we confessed to all the cars we stole while we lived there (at separate times). He just sat there. Didn't really smile or say much. But he enjoyed the Crown

Oh, I almost forgot.....dropouts. these were a custom. Gonna look good built up.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-dvo-linkage-s.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Still a few months out from really cranking up the MTB season (just got back on the road bike after my normal 3 month Winter break) but I'm really getting antsy now. Dying to receive this thing and get it built up (and see how it rides for myself).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    no way. That was his bottle of Crown Royal. Too expensive to replace. Too tricky to dilute. I wasn't gonna mess with his bottle, just steal his cars.

About 5 years ago, my younger brother and I went for a visit. I brought a bottle of Crown and we confessed to all the cars we stole while we lived there (at separate times). He just sat there. Didn't really smile or say much. But he enjoyed the Crown

Oh, I almost forgot.....dropouts. these were a custom. Gonna look good built up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dvo linkage s.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	1177155
    Thank you, Brian. I believe those are for me!(I hope) Weather here in Arizona is perfect for riding. I'm even more excited to get my new scoot!! UDAMAN!

WillWorkForTrail

Oh man, that linkage pops!

I never had to worry about crown. Mason jars are easier to deal with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I figured someone would have the same idea. My plan had been all black, DVO and matching bits.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I managed to get a bike ride in yesterday, starting at 16F and ending at 21F. Wasn't even cold, thanks to 200 layers of clothes and a wise purchase for boots. But now we are above freezing, and all the hard-packed snow is now mush and mud. No more riding.

Love the Group44 stuff. Also love that Tullius let the driver side win out over the owner side.
    getting scarily close to sending yours.

bob was a good owner that way, looking out for the driver. but in the end, when he had to stop driving, he kinda lost interest in putting the deals together. He did the Audi deals (which bought him a new King Air), but Audi had a lot of internal politics and when the ended after '90, Bob decided to go NASCAR.

I didn't have much interest, so that was the end of my time there. Still, I rate Bob Tullius and Group 44 as one of my best owners (I was pretty much a well paid slave) and best race team experiences.

mtbr member

I might cheat and go to the megacavern in Louisville this weekend. Pretty much XC riding with some dirt jumps and simple features. But it stays about 60 deg there year round.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KONK211 View Post
    Thank you, Brian. I believe those are for me!(I hope) Weather here in Arizona is perfect for riding. I'm even more excited to get my new scoot!! UDAMAN!
    you are correct. A little better match this time. That's ok, the other ones matched the Money green frame perfectly.

You're not first in line, but pretty close. i kinda wish I got to build yours complete, just to look at. Maybe also wishing I had got another set of these done.....i did not.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I might cheat and go to the megacavern in Louisville this weekend. Pretty much XC riding with some dirt jumps and simple features. But it stays about 60 deg there year round.
    That sounds fun. Im going start digging my own.

mtbr member
    That sounds fun. Im going start digging my own.
    For the record, I will be going to the megacavern in Louisville, KY this sunday, Jan 14.

While not an official demo, I will have my raw mule, now "inn" Shinning mode (160 mm x 29 fr/rr), Size M and my wife will have her meltdown, 160 mm Size S.

As I mentioned, more XC with a few features and jumps. Fun, but not really exuberant....if it wasn't winter, I wouldn't go.

in the meantime, it was 55 degrees here. With advance apologies to the one or 2 people I might have otherwise shipped bikes to today.

It was a cold rain. Wet roots. If it was summer, I would be huddled around a fire with a hot drink and a warm....something or other.

Wet roots? Just go over 'em.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-selfie-jump.jpg

CTB
    mtbr member
    We had 55 but rain here in the D. You gotta get out there when you can in these Midwest winters.

CTB
    mtbr member
    See, today it has plummeted to 24 degrees and it's a hockey rink everywhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I also managed to squeeze in a ride between cold spells and rain yesterday. There's been a lot of work put in this winter on a pretty burly DH line in the land trust near my apt that I wanted to get a lap in on. Still really wet and muddy out there though. Turned my DHF into a smooth brown doughnut w/ pine needle sprinkles sticking out. Had a great time launching off some decent sized drops with the front and rear slipping and sliding different directions as they skidded off the rocks. Ooo man that trail is going to be lots of fun with a little more work in a couple sections. I'm amazed at what the bike can pull off when I'm taking on a rowdy line on my first descent in the dark, muddy, wetness. After I crossed the creek at the bottom of the run and headed back up the slight incline to the trailhead, I was again blown away at how the bike just ate up the trail. Sharp edged, golfball sized rocks scattered throughout and I'm climbing seated with a stable urgency. I can't believe I can do all these things on 1 bike with no lever flipping or dial fiddling.

mtbr member
    We had 55 but rain here in the D. You gotta get out there when you can in these Midwest winters.
    Well, I did manage to get your frame out, barely.....

I finished up 2 Blueberry, one Blue on Black, one Blue on Gunmetal.

One will be a 140 mm 29er Outburst.

The other will be a mixed wheel 160 mm Shinedown, built up complete and sent to Australia

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-blueberry-yinyang-s.jpg

mtbr member
    See, today it has plummeted to 24 degrees and it's a hockey rink everywhere.
    right. The weather report was yesterday, with the forecast for this morning.

Basically, continued rain freezing throught the night turning into snow all day today. Could been better, barely enough to keep it sideways.

But I got your bike out. FEDEX wouldn't pick up.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-weather-drive-s.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-snow-ghetto-s.jpg

CTB
    mtbr member
    Well, I did manage to get your frame out, barely.....

I finished up 2 Blueberry, one Blue on Black, one Blue on Gunmetal.

One will be a 140 mm 29er Outburst.

The other will be a mixed wheel 160 mm Shinedown, built up complete and sent to Australia

Name:	blueberry yinyang s.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	1177681
    That Blue on Black looks friggin' awesome! That guy must be pretty happy that you went above and beyond for him.

CTB
    mtbr member

Name:	snow ghetto s.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	1177683
    It took me a few seconds to reconcile this photo. I didn't see that little bit of tailgate showing and thought, "How the hell is that box sitting there?" If you ignore that bit of tailgate, it looks like a photoshop.

WillWorkForTrail
    It took me a few seconds to reconcile this photo. I didn't see that little bit of tailgate showing and thought, "How the hell is that box sitting there?" If you ignore that bit of tailgate, it looks like a photoshop.
    Brian did some of that strange engineer voodoo stuff to make it sit there like that with nothing under it. He's got one of those Back to the Future hover boards under there. But don't tell anyone.

The snow on the top of the tailgate really makes it hard to see doesn't it? If it wasn't for that one edge sticking out....it took me a second too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Awesome stuff going on - love the DVO matched ano - looking forward to seeing that build!

Great action shot Brian - have always loved riding root sections ... I guess it's the challenge but can't wait to see how the Tantrum eats em up!

Haha caught me out as well that pic - the complete contrast of the cold snowy whited out background to the warm toned box just make it pop out of the picture - nice!

I'm struggling to kick a frustrating illness / bug / nausea thing right now so wishing warmer weather would hurry up already! Hope you're all well guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzflag View Post
    I also managed to squeeze in a ride between cold spells and rain yesterday. There's been a lot of work put in this winter on a pretty burly DH line in the land trust near my apt that I wanted to get a lap in on. Still really wet and muddy out there though. Turned my DHF into a smooth brown doughnut w/ pine needle sprinkles sticking out. Had a great time launching off some decent sized drops with the front and rear slipping and sliding different directions as they skidded off the rocks. Ooo man that trail is going to be lots of fun with a little more work in a couple sections. I'm amazed at what the bike can pull off when I'm taking on a rowdy line on my first descent in the dark, muddy, wetness. After I crossed the creek at the bottom of the run and headed back up the slight incline to the trailhead, I was again blown away at how the bike just ate up the trail. Sharp edged, golfball sized rocks scattered throughout and I'm climbing seated with a stable urgency. I can't believe I can do all these things on 1 bike with no lever flipping or dial fiddling.
    I'm curious, what's a cold spell where you are?? Not dissin' or anything, just curious. Still considering winter demo locals as I get closer to delivering all "pre-ordered" bikes. Fvckin yay.

How far are you from Bentonville?

Also thinking of Pisgah.

never been to either

mtbr member
    if I could have edged it just a little further out onto that tiny triangle of tailgate, I could've gotten away with it.

And/or my packaging of your frame would've been prematurely crash tested.

For the record, I took it INSIDE the truck......bed was full of snow and more falling.

mtbr member
    Back to the Future. But don't tell anyone.
    Does anybody really know what time it is?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Does anybody really care ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Brian- check you junk box, I sent you an email a few days ago. I know your busy.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Does anybody really care ?
    we all have time enough to cry

mtbr member
    gotta admit, I'd kinda like to keep this one....

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-green-lizard-s.jpg

CTB
    mtbr member
    Very nice, and unique!

WillWorkForTrail

Also thinking of Pisgah.
    He's 8 or 9 hours from Bentonville. I happen to know it's almost exactly the same amount of drive time from where he is as it is from where I am.

Pisgah. Pisgah is a place I run out of superlatives for, and then worry about overselling most of the time when I talk about it. Can't say I've ever been there in the winter though. Let's just say it's one of those places that's filled with old school trails and rides there will bring back memories of when every trail was raw, all the climbs were steep, all the descents were rowdy, and any beer was a good one. Dang, now I want to go back there....

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Name:	green lizard s.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	1177872
    looking nice! Don't blame you

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Sweet Looking!

Name:	green lizard s.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	1177872
    Ya, I dont think so. Some grown man in Arizona would be balling is eyes out if you deprived him at this point. Just looks Killer!
    I wish we could have gotten the Tantrum decals in green to pop it. Thanks again, B

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Since delivery seems almost imminent can you confirm some parts again ?

1) seatpost diameter 30.9, seatpost clamp diameter 34.9 ? Have you been speccing with a "layback head" or "zero offset head" ?

2) Is a headset included with the frame ? If not are the specs ZS44/28.6|ZS56/40 ?
    Can you just link us to a good headset to use ? I looked up the FSA Orbit 1.5 but there were about a dozen different versions and the specs aren't easy to track down.

3) Bottom bracket is BSA threaded, 68 or 73 ?

4)One person mentioned they had shifter cable clearance issues when runnnig a 30mm crank spindle. Is anyone having success with a 30mm spindle ?

5) I'm pretty you include the rear axle. If so is it 142 or 148 or do we request what we want. If you don't include it can you call out the part number for us.

4) still a little freaked out by just tweaking the chain stays to fit 142. But for 142 use a standard chainline, but when I have to move to boost it will fit best with a boost chainline. (correct me if I"m wrong).
    Last edited by Preston67; 2 Days Ago at 11:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm curious, what's a cold spell where you are?? Not dissin' or anything, just curious. Still considering winter demo locals as I get closer to delivering all "pre-ordered" bikes. Fvckin yay.

Also thinking of Pisgah.

never been to either
    Hey now. We've been about 20deg cooler than average with highs in the 20s and 30s, wind chills in the single digits, and some light dustings of snow. Cold for just about anywhere and we don't handle it well. We've had school closings and such for "potential" snow fall. Pretty laughable I'll admit.

There's an IMBA bronze trail network about 2hrs south of me called Coldwater Mountain that I really enjoy. Mostly machine cut flow trails, but some chunk as well. Bomb Dog has a multi-mile DH section that gets rated highly by everyone that rides it.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/238...water-mountain

Yeah, Bentonville is a bit of a hike for me. Probably too far for a weekend, although I might be swayed.

As said, Pisgah is incredible. You need to go now rather than later. Every time we go back it's busier and busier. The Asheville boom has Pisgah in it's grasp and it's not going to be letting go any time soon. There's also Dupont right down the road which is a lot more approachable than Pisgah. That area might not be as warm as you're hoping for though.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Preston, hope this helps at least a little:

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts... - Page 5- Mtbr.com

Brian is including axles now. If you go 148, you'll need to boostify your wheelset (rotor and axle spacers), which is what I will do for my 29er setup. I got a nice kit from the seller "mtbtools" on Ebay for a reasonable price.

I had Brian press in one of the Cane Creek headsets he has; you might consider that. He's offering competitive pricing AND your frame would arrive with it already in.

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

4) still a little freaked out by just tweaking the chain stays to fit 142. But for 142 use a standard chainline, but when I have to move to boost it will fit best with a boost chainline. (correct me if I"m wrong).
    I have a boost 27.5+ wheel set with a 2.8 Minions DHR. Running a NON BOOST 30 T chainring and 11-46 SLX casset. I have 6 mm of clearance between the chain and tire sidewall on the top and about 5.5 mm on the bottom. Not sure what is recommended and only have one ride on that setup with no issues.

Went with non boost b/c it is gives a better chain line on the cogs that see the most torque and tent to wear out the fastest (biggest ones) and it was cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    MTBR right here did a review of the Wolf Ridge 9. Marin Wolf Ridge 9 review - Mtbr.com . I'd be worried about the comment of the rear end wagging during hard cornering thinking that might be a wear issue in the future. Anyways I'm on reserve for a Tantrum Outburst frame once the next shipment comes in but I may demo the Marin just to see how it works. I've recently tried a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 and a SC Hightower LT and they are so different than my 10 year old Ventana El Rey with it's 71 deg headtube angle. Not different enough that I can't wait for a Tantrum to become available though so the wait continues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KONK211 View Post
    Ya, I dont think so. Some grown man in Arizona would be balling is eyes out if you deprived him at this point. Just looks Killer!
    I wish we could have gotten the Tantrum decals in green to pop it. Thanks again, B
    ok, I sent it. But not before I got some content. Since I put the BB and headset in, it was pretty easy to slap the fork, some random wheels on it and pretend.

I'm sure it'll look better once you build it up with your parts. But green decals? Sorry. I have to stop somewhere. Not saying you couldn't get your own made.

Completely overcast when I took these, so nothing pops.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-green-snow-lizard.jpg
    New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-green-snow-lizard-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Since delivery seems almost imminent can you confirm some parts again ?

1) seatpost diameter 30.9, seatpost clamp diameter 34.9 ? Have you been speccing with a "layback head" or "zero offset head" ?

2) Is a headset included with the frame ? If not are the specs ZS44/28.6|ZS56/40 ?
    Can you just link us to a good headset to use ? I looked up the FSA Orbit 1.5 but there were about a dozen different versions and the specs aren't easy to track down.

3) Bottom bracket is BSA threaded, 68 or 73 ?

4)One person mentioned they had shifter cable clearance issues when runnnig a 30mm crank spindle. Is anyone having success with a 30mm spindle ?

5) I'm pretty you include the rear axle. If so is it 142 or 148 or do we request what we want. If you don't include it can you call out the part number for us.

1) correct. 30.9 and 34.9. zero offset unless you have a freakishly long torso.

2) headset not included, but I have been popping in a Cane Creek 40 on request. Again, correct, ZS 44/28.6\ZS56/40.....obviously that last 40 is dependent on your fork. Some older ones are 30's, but this only changes the crown race.

3) 73mm Threaded BB

4) In an earlier proto, I ran a 30 mm spindle, but it did not have the shell/cover. So, no interference, but crap could get at the BB bearings. At this point, I'll say not recommended.

5) your choice. But, if you're running big wheels and big travel, boost is recommended. I've run both and can't say I feel the difference, but boost isn't going away and it does make a stronger wheel.

Back to 4??) When you go from 142 to 148, the cassette "automatically" moves outboard by 3 mm. in an ideal world, you would also use a boost chainring, which has a 3 mm offset to match. But, see KEO's comment below

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    I have a boost 27.5+ wheel set with a 2.8 Minions DHR. Running a NON BOOST 30 T chainring and 11-46 SLX casset. I have 6 mm of clearance between the chain and tire sidewall on the top and about 5.5 mm on the bottom. Not sure what is recommended and only have one ride on that setup with no issues.

Went with non boost b/c it is gives a better chain line on the cogs that see the most torque and tent to wear out the fastest (biggest ones) and it was cheaper.
    the only potential downsides I can see to this is

1) a lower limit on how big the chain ring can be

B) higher chain wear in the tallest cogs

3) maybe less snappy shifting into those taller cogs. But maybe not.

Hear is a pic of a standard non-boost SRAM GX crank. 32 tooth. Not much room, maybe could go 34T. For sure you can with a boost chainring.

New innovative suspension from Tantrum Cycles. Any thoughts...-chainring-clearance-32t-non-boost.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinfan View Post
    MTBR right here did a review of the Wolf Ridge 9. Marin Wolf Ridge 9 review - Mtbr.com . I'd be worried about the comment of the rear end wagging during hard cornering thinking that might be a wear issue in the future. Anyways I'm on reserve for a Tantrum Outburst frame once the next shipment comes in but I may demo the Marin just to see how it works. I've recently tried a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 and a SC Hightower LT and they are so different than my 10 year old Ventana El Rey with it's 71 deg headtube angle. Not different enough that I can't wait for a Tantrum to become available though so the wait continues.
    I have one comment about that test.

32 pounds

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ok put me down for a headset and 142 axle then.
    I'd be happy to purchase a spare 148 axle as well if we can work it out.

mtbr member
    ok put me down for a headset and 142 axle then.
    I'd be happy to purchase a spare 148 axle as well if we can work it out.
    ha, I knew the "32 lb" comment would get a reaction.....

CTB
    mtbr member
    It's here!

DSC06004 by ctbtyper, on Flickr

It looks fantastic. I took as many pictures outside as I could until my hands froze off (it was 13F when I was out there), and then I started on the build. Here's the progress so far:

DSC06018 by ctbtyper, on Flickr

I'm hoping to sit on it by the end of the night, but we'll see how far I get (which isn't much more to actually sit on it).

Big thanks to Brian for all his work.

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I received my medium frame last week and am making a list of items to order. Could I get the maximum dropper insertion? With the S bend seat tube Im pretty sure the longest I can make work is a 125mm version (510 w/32 inseam)? Thx

Ps My current bike has a 125mm dropper and the collar is about 4 above the seat clamp but I fear a 150mm dropper will hit the S bend if fully inserted

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It's here!

DSC06004 by ctbtyper, on Flickr

It looks fantastic. I took as many pictures outside as I could until my hands froze off (it was 13F when I was out there), and then I started on the build. Here's the progress so far:

DSC06018 by ctbtyper, on Flickr

I'm hoping to sit on it by the end of the night, but we'll see how far I get (which isn't much more to actually sit on it).

Big thanks to Brian for all his work.
    Nice! I really like that color. Looking good!

CTB
    mtbr member
    What did you guys use for inserts for the brake caliper bolts in the 27.5 dropouts?

DSC06017 by ctbtyper, on Flickr

because GIANT
    What did you guys use for inserts for the brake caliper bolts in the 27.5 dropouts?

BB sent the chiclets for the brake bolts with the bike, in a bag of small parts
    including cable clips. it's two round metal pins with threaded hole

CTB
    mtbr member
    AH! I think remember that bag now. I haven't opened it yet. Duh. Thanks!

keo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    I received my medium frame last week and am making a list of items to order. Could I get the maximum dropper insertion? With the S bend seat tube Im pretty sure the longest I can make work is a 125mm version (510 w/32 inseam)? Thx

Ps My current bike has a 125mm dropper and the collar is about 4 above the seat clamp but I fear a 150mm dropper will hit the S bend if fully inserted
    I get about 175 mm of insertion with the DVO Garnet the came with my Medium. It bottoms out at the S bend on the connection thingy at the bottom of the post. I am looking at a 150 mm 9point8 post because the connection piece at the bottom is significantly smaller than most other internally routed posts and you can reduce the travel if necessary. I am also considering a getto routed external dropper post to gain some insertion length because there is no connection piece at the bottom. Vital has a good article with the lengths of various 150 mm posts: https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...per-Posts,1762

mtbr member

NOTE: the 29er dropouts do not have this feature. It seemed like a good idea, but in reality, who strips brake caliper bolts?? And since the dropout itself is replaceable, I decided to drop that feature for the future. Less parts, less cost, less parts to get lost.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post

this can vary a bit from dropper to dropper. I have an Xfusion and DVO here. Just stuck them in a M frame. To the top of the ST, I could get 140 mm of shaft and 167 mm including the actuator on the DVO and 150 and 180 on the XF.

I briefly had a Bike Yoke here . I didn't get full measurements, but not only was it significantly shorter in shaft length (for 160 mm drop), but the seat clamp to collar distance at full drop was about 30 mm less than the DVO.

I think I will get ahold of a couple myself.

In the meantime, sorry I dropped that ball a little on that particular aspect. One of those moving target things.

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    I get about 175 mm of insertion with the DVO Garnet the came with my Medium. It bottoms out at the S bend on the connection thingy at the bottom of the post. I am looking at a 150 mm 9point8 post because the connection piece at the bottom is significantly smaller than most other internally routed posts and you can reduce the travel if necessary. I am also considering a getto routed external dropper post to gain some insertion length because there is no connection piece at the bottom. Vital has a good article with the lengths of various 150 mm posts: https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...per-Posts,1762
    on my small rev 1 tantrum
    I had a 125mm garnet that was too tall. swapped to a 125mm revive

and it fits awesome. so, a post with a short (or shortest) stack is likely needed for rev 1 tantrums. revive is also about the best post on earth, so it is win win all around.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516