mtbr member

New Inbred 456: Regular or Summer Season?

Can someone help me get a handle on what the differences will be on the trail between the two models?

I've got a dual air Pike (currently set at 120mm, but easily converted to coil u-turn) that will be going with the frame.

My main concern is to end up with a general purpose bike. All day comfort and climbing ability are probably the most important characteristics (I imagine either one will descend well).

To me, it sounds like I need the regular, but the word from On-One seems to be that the Summer Season climbs almost as well and the raw steel finish looks so much better than the blue.

Thanks for any guidance choosing between the two models.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I sell both of them and based on the riders buying them it seems that the summer seasons is simply more popular BECAUSE of the slack geometry. I think its illogical to think that they will climb similarly given the approx 2 deg difference in head angle.

The blue is actually really nice...i thought so anyway based on the ones i have sent onward in the past month or so...though the very industrial look of the clearcoat on the summer season truly is b!tchin. Also, though hard to tell from the On One website, the summer season has ICSG compatibility which may or may not mean anything for your goals but i wanted to point it out in case.

I opted for the standard 456 geo for reasons similar to those noted by you...will be getting mine within a month's time...will also be running a Pike (which would be great for summer season as well though)

keep us posted

mtbr member
    You wouldn't happen to have any 18" regular 456's for sale would you? I just checked out the 110 lb shipping charge off the On-One site and it seems a bit high.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by FlintPaper
    All day comfort and climbing ability are probably the most important characteristics (I imagine either one will descend well).
    I would say if climbing is one of your top priorities, then go for the regular. I own a summer season, but I don't buy my bikes for climbing...I buy them for descending.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Dirt Deviant
    I just built up a regular 456 from fo shizzle in 20".
    It's awesome. I can't wait to get it out for some climbs and some down as well. I put a 140mm minute on it with IT. It feels great at full 140, but drops low for the climbs. Just got the fork on it yesterday. It was borrowing a fork from my 120mm bike...= )
    Here is a pic of it at 120mm.

mtbr member
    I'm really thinking that the regular is the right choice for me.

The white/blue on Savage's 456 looks awesome.

Now I just need to find one for cheap. The shipping charge to the US from On-One starts to nullify the exceptional price.

Trophy Husband
    Now I just need to find one for cheap. The shipping charge to the US from On-One starts to nullify the exceptional price.
    PM Fo.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Already done.

It's going to be nice to have a bike with gears again.

You wouldn't happen to have any 18" regular 456's for sale would you? I just checked out the 110 lb shipping charge off the On-One site and it seems a bit high.
    i had lots of everything but not right now...I wont be able to make another order till Mid April as i am busy with my "day job" and am on vacation so i couldnt provide shipping to folks during that time. If that is not too long to wait i can easily add one for you or anybody else at that time.

Already done.

It's going to be nice to have a bike with gears again.
    will check right now...sorry about not being able to place an order right now if you can wait i am happy to help you out with a great deal though

backwoods and backwards

Summer

It's a chore keeping the front end down on the climbs, don't let anyone tell you differently. If you're looking for an advantage on the steep descents though, it's a dream come true. I pulled the trigger at the right time ( for once! ) and scored a deal.

IMG_0796.JPG
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Dirt Deviant
    I just put the 140mm minute IT on it yesterday. A few days ago tossed the mountain king 2.4's on there. Right now it sits at about 31lbs. I built it up strong since I'm such a clyde.
    The specs are.....
    456 Frame 20"
    140mm Manitou Minute Elite IT
    Transition Revolution 32 wheelset white hoops/blue hubs
    Mountain King 2.4's
    Elixir R 203F 185R with matchmakers
    Sram X9 shifters
    Sram X9 med cage rear der
    Sram PG990 cassette 11-34
    Sram PC 991 chain
    Shimano SLX front der (double specific)
    Shimano SLX double cranks 22/36 with Straitline 36t bash and blue sugino bolts
    DMR V-8 pedals
    Transition temple Lite stem 50mm
    Gravity Maximus bars 40mm rise
    Transition Park & Ride AM saddle
    Temporary seatpost, waiting for Easton Havoc
    Gussett seat clamp
    Lizard Skin north shore grips with blue clamps

I've slowly been piecing it together using borrowed parts from another bike. the last thing I am waiting for is the easton havoc seatpost. then it will be done.
    It feels so much better with the 140mm fork than it did with the 120mm. It's also nice that is has the IT, drops really low.....seems like it goes down to 80mm...crazy low.
    I usually don't get so anal about color schemes, but this bike was dying for it so I went all out. Even custom painted the headset cups and spacers white....LOL
    used Epoxy Appliance paint. Strong stuff.
    the Inbred is a really fun bike, I highly recomend it to anybody looking to get into a long travel hardtail, and the price is great for the frame. If I get bored this summer, I might build up a summer season, dunno. But the reg 456 is bomber.

mtbr member
    My 456 will be cannibalizing parts from the Yakuza in my signature. I strongly doubt it will match or be pretty.

I just need to pull together the parts needed to make it a 1x9, then go riding. Cost effective will be the theme of the bike.

Dirt Deviant
    I hear ya there. If I didn't work in a shop, and get parts for really cheap, i would never buy the kinda stuff i do now.
    1x9 is a great idea for a 456.
    I picked up a set of Stylo's single speed cranks from santa cruz bikes for next to nothing. they were so cheap I couldn't not get em. Like $42 with BB.
    Not sure if I'm gonna use em or not yet, but was planning a converting my commuter to 1x9.
    If I don't use em soon, I'll post em up on the classifieds here at mtbr, for what I paid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sorry to dig up an old thread.... looking for some info...

Savage, what's the a2c length of the 140mm that you are using and where does it put the head angle and seat angle of the 456?

For that matter, anyone knows if the angles on the On One website for the 456 are for sagged geo?? If so, what measurements are they sagged too??