mtbr member
    May 2007

New guy's first post

Hey there ya'll, hope everything is going well. After doing A LOT of searching (the newb found the button!) I have narrowed down my search to 3 different AM bikes that I think will serve my purpose. I will be mainly riding semi-technical trails with a good handful of downhill/small jumps thrown in; Nothing to hairy, but isn't flat. My price range is 1500~ but, if the right deal comes around i might bump that up just a little bit. Anways, here is what i've come up with:

Spec. FSRxc comp: Love the warranty, seems to have great components and specialized shops are everywhere here in texas. I also like the fact that i can easily upgrade it with better forks etc down the road.

Cannondale Prophet 5: My 2 previous bikes have been cannondale (Super V 1000, and F700 SL with a lefty) and i loved both of them. The prophet from what ive been reading is a great AM bike and the rear shock's different modes are awesome (FR and XC) Cannondale has always been good to me but im having a damn hard time tracking one of these down here in Texas; i haven't checked austin but i dont really want to make the drive.

yeti 575: A tad bit more expensive than the other 2, but with new models coming out i might be able to scrounge up the money after the discount. It seems like it has great components and a good backing. I haven't done as much research on this bike as i have on the others, but it seems like a good buy.

Well guys, what do you think? I think i might just pick up the Spec but i want to hear ya'lls input. If u guys can suggest other bikes other than these 3 that'd be great too! Thanks!

squish is good
    The spesh is a lightweight compared to the other two, it's more of a XC oriented trail bike but is a great bike for the price. A freind of mine bought one and she loved it.

The Cannondale and Yeti are both great bikes, I'm partial to Yeti but it's a toss up between those two as far as your all mountain selection goes. These are all on the trail/XC side of the AM scene, I've been through Texas a couple years ago and I don't remember there being too many huge mountains out there so I think your on the right track.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I personally would say go for the Yeti, I know several people you own them and absolutely love them. Plus, I think there are in a different segment of the market. What part of TX are in? I am moving fron TN in 2.5 weeks to New Braunfels. It would be nice to meet up with some locals.

mtbr member
    I can't comment on any of the bikes specifically, but I do know from experience that Specialized stands by their warranty. The shop wrench said he loved Spec. because they (unlike some others) aren't constantly looking to avoid warranty claims. He said he's seen obvious abuse breakage come in, the customer claims JRA (just riding along) and Spec. has covered them without a question. I'm not going to trash anyone else's reputation based on a guy I don't really know, but he said some companies have a reputation for trying to avoid just about every warranty claim they get, regardless of whether it appears justified or not.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    I personally would say go for the Yeti, I know several people you own them and absolutely love them. Plus, I think there are in a different segment of the market. What part of TX are in? I am moving fron TN in 2.5 weeks to New Braunfels. It would be nice to meet up with some locals.
    I will be residing in Waco (attending Baylor Univ.) Off the top of my head, i believe NB is about 2 hours or so from Waco. It'd be nice to hit up some trails with ya! Anyways, i think the yeti is just too far out of reach for me (2700~ ouch) So i'm now looking at a Heckler. Seems to have great reviews/backing. Thoughts?

attending to my vices
    Heckler
    diamondback mission
    giant reign
    mongoose super tecotli
    GT idrive 5
    iron horse MKIII

all can be had for under $2000. Check online for last years closeouts because you can get last years model that is generally unchanged frame wise but the bikes are loaded with perhaps $800 dollars worth of better components for the same or lesser price.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

CHOP!

I got nothin...

Yeah yeah yeah...

Get the Yeti or a Heckler or something.

I got nothin' to add except your Screen Name is awesome.

"Bustang" - Ha -
    It's not where it's made but how it's made.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Get a Giant Reign! They Rock! Can handle beefy rides and they handle well on XC stuff! Can't go wrong! Just like buying a Tacoma!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What is your major? The Department Head of Geology is an old Professor of mine, he is an awesome guy. I have been told by several that the Heckler, Giant Trance, and Trek Remedy/Fuel EX would be great for most the trails in Texas.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moshelove
    Heckler
    diamondback mission
    giant reign
    mongoose super tecotli
    GT idrive 5
    iron horse MKIII

all can be had for under $2000. Check online for last years closeouts because you can get last years model that is generally unchanged frame wise but the bikes are loaded with perhaps $800 dollars worth of better components for the same or lesser price.

Awesome! Any specific sites I should be watching? I read up on the Heckler last night and it looks like one hell of a bike. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    What is your major? The Department Head of Geology is an old Professor of mine, he is an awesome guy. I have been told by several that the Heckler, Giant Trance, and Trek Remedy/Fuel EX would be great for most the trails in Texas.
    I'm double majoring in Political science and Environmental science; hopefully law school will be in my future What was the name of your prof?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Dr. Steve Dreise