mtbr member
    Sep 2018

New guy here, need advice on first bike

Hey there, I'm new to mountain biking and I was looking for a good first bike around $3000 Canadian. After talking to a bunch of sellers I got a couple of models that fit my needs and I would like to know which one you guys recommend.

• Devinci Troy alluminium
    • Specialized Comp stumpjumper
    • Trek remedy 7
    • Norco fluid FS1+
    • Kona Process 153 SE.

Some are pricier than others which balances my decision. Not so sure about which ones are the best... I'm looking for an all mountain bike that works for a first timer haha. Looking forward to readind you. Right now the Specialized and the Kona seem pretty awesome.

Thank you very much

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Just realized this isn't the place for beginners haha, I don't know how to erase the post either :/

bike pamper-er
    Trek is years behind on the geometry of the remedy. The Kona wouldn't be bad if you don't mind a low stack. If it were me, I'd go with the Troy. Bomber frame, progressive DW split pivot suspension, rockshox fork with 35mm stanchions, and modern geometry.
    Shorter seat tubes, taller droppers.
    Shorter chainstays, taller stacks.
    Shorter stems, taller BB's.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Kinda curious why, as a new guy, you are looking exclusively at 150mm travel bikes, well except the Norco.

You could save some money probably by lowering your sights to more trail-oriented bikes with 120-140mm travel.

Also, I suspect you wouldn't be able to tell much difference between the Norco FS1 and the FS2 or FS3, even.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Kinda curious why, as a new guy, you are looking exclusively at 150mm travel bikes, well except the Norco.

You could save some money probably by lowering your sights to more trail-oriented bikes with 120-140mm travel.

Also, I suspect you wouldn't be able to tell much difference between the Norco FS1 and the FS2 or FS3, even.
    A quality 150mm bike will be easy to learn on, hard to outgrow, and won't be a burden on most any trail system. It takes people a couple bikes to learn to avoid SRAM, that carbon is frivolous, seek out a reliable dropper, and other minutiae... but getting a bike that will enhance progression and last for years seems smart to me.

edit- 5000 posts. geezus that's a lot of bullshit.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    A quality 150mm bike will be easy to learn on, hard to outgrow, and won't be a burden on most any trail system. It takes people a couple bikes to learn to avoid SRAM, that carbon is frivolous, seek out a reliable dropper, and other minutiae... but getting a bike that will enhance progression and last for years seems smart to me.

edit- 5000 posts. geezus that's a lot of bullshit.
    I don't necessarily disagree, and it appears that OP has access to all manner of trails, but was interested in hearing OPs response.

Not sure why I care how OP spends his money, but there's always a pretty good chance with a newb that the bike turns into a garage ornament and I tend to favor the less expensive garage ornaments.

But, as you note, it "takes a couple of bikes . . . " for a whole lot of things, including figuring out how you like to ride and what you like to ride, in terms of trails and bikes, etc. So if we concede that OP is probably going to want a new bike in a couple of years (assuming he sticks with it), then why commit 3KCAD to something when there are more moderate options readily available.