Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

New GT AM bikes.

Looks like GT is going back to being a LBS only bike company and is releasing some pretty cool new bikes.

GT showed off their new models for 2008 in Engelberg, Switzerland.
    Hans Rey showed their new Sanction and Force Models, both with 6 inch of travel. Both bikes share the same frame. The Sanction weighs around 16 kilos , whereas the Force is lighter and only weighs 14.5 kilos

See the carbon hardtail and race FS also

"Do not touch the trim"

ride hard take risks
    Sweet looking hydro forming.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Mr.
    mtbr member

dang

Those look great! Is that a new or modified I-drive, or something entirely different?
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?

Still a child inside...

No good .

Gt was never original. That's looks like a Trek AM bike. (I hate Trek too)

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by danyiluska
    Bwahahahaha! Are you high?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I don't understand the concept of putting that much stress right in the middle of the downtube where you could otherwise save weight.

mtbr member
    Those look pretty nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Looks like GT is going back to being a LBS only bike company and is releasing some pretty cool new bikes.

GT showed off their new models for 2008 in Engelberg, Switzerland.
    Hans Rey showed their new Sanction and Force Models, both with 6 inch of travel. Both bikes share the same frame. The Sanction weighs around 16 kilos , whereas the Force is lighter and only weighs 14.5 kilos

See the carbon hardtail and race FS also

looks alot like the marin's
    GETOFFTHEBRAKESYAFAIRY

mtbr member
    The new sloped top tube fad is in full swing lol, if it wasnt for the suspension it could look like a marin.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

Mr.
    mtbr member

After a bit of homework, it appears it is their current I-Drive tech...with new tubes and some new angles probably...

Anyone ever ridden and I-Drive?

this account retired
    i dont like lots of pivots and stuff but really do like GTs. even have a GT sticker on my car now to make me look really cool!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbnick
    looks alot like the marin's
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Mr.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    I second that. Which Marin?

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Those look pretty nice!
    agreed....i would definitely say they are as nice, if not nicer, than Turners but not quite up to par with Ellsworths

Mr.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Part Deux
    agreed....i would definitely say they are as nice, if not nicer, than Turners but not quite up to par with Ellsworths
    Another

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.
    Another
    what do you mean? I think GT makes great bikes and even though they are ok, bikes like Turners just use same technology for years and years....they even still use bushings which are way old fashioned by today's standards

Mr.
    mtbr member
    what do you mean? I think GT makes great bikes and even though they are ok, bikes like Turners just use same technology for years and years....they even still use bushings which are way old fashioned by today's standards
    I'm just wondering how you're making such a statement from just two photos...

this account retired
    I'm just wondering how you're making such a statement from just two photos...
    fair point....but they look pretty kewl. my 1997 GT works pretty good so newer ones are probably pretty sweet

banned
    After a bit of homework, it appears it is their current I-Drive tech...with new tubes and some new angles probably...

It looks like the standard Idrive design - with some really cool hyrdro-forming and material manipulation.

I've had several Idrives - and they ride great. The technology works, really well.

Yes, the hyrdro forming is reminiscent of the Marin's. It's quite possible that the bikes are made in the same plant. But this doesn't say anything about the ride quality.

The White VPP design is nothing like the Busby - Idrive design.

mtbr member
    Very nice looking bikes,
    I hope they ride as well as they look.

Motion activated
    bikes like Turners just use same technology for years and years.
    Sheez! You're forgetting the Horst to Faux Bar move of 06.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Sheez! You're forgetting the Horst to Faux Bar move of 06.
    First of all Steve, since I'm not sure you are familiar with suspension designs, it is not a Faux bar; it is actually called TNT which is way different.

Secondly, this is where I do give credit. While they still use lame bushings, the move from horse link to TNT makes their bikes way better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No comment.

Motion activated
    First of all Steve, since I'm not sure you are familiar with suspension designs, it is not a Faux bar; it is actually called TNT which is way different.
    When I had my Burner and Turner changed to the TNT design I performed a little experiment. I left the HL on the drive side and put a TNT pivot on the other side so I could do a direct comparison. Under coasting conditions I could detect no difference. However under pedaling and braking the bike would always pull to the right side. This was due to the more efficient HL on the drive side.

this account retired
    When I had my Burner and Turner changed to the TNT design I performed a little experiment. I left the HL on the drive side and put a TNT pivot on the other side so I could do a direct comparison. Under coasting conditions I could detect no difference. However under pedaling and braking the bike would always pull to the right side. This was due to the more efficient HL on the drive side.
    thats pretty cool. lots of the lame turner owners blab about how similar or different they are, but none based on science like yours. that is a really good controlled experiment you did. i will rethink my comments about TNT probably.....actually, VPP or DW Link is probably the best of all

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Idrives were known to ride well (heck they were the FS bike to have for a couple of years back in the late 90s if you believed the magazines), the big issues they had were weight (which seems to have been resolved or at least helped with a redesign of the eccentric/BB area) and the fact that the company was bought out before they could develop the bikes they have out now.
    The buy out destroyed their reputation as the new owners were selling to dept stores & refusing to honor the lifetime(?) warranty that was originally offered by GT. A lot of LBSes stopped selling the brand.
    It's nice to see them rebuilding the brand into something high end.
    FWIW the second to last issue of Bike had a positive review of the latest "All Mountain" version of the Idrive.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Surestick Malone
    The Idrives were known to ride well (heck they were the FS bike to have for a couple of years back in the late 90s if you believed the magazines), the big issues they had were weight (which seems to have been resolved or at least helped with a redesign of the eccentric/BB area) and the fact that the company was bought out before they could develop the bikes they have out now.
    The buy out destroyed their reputation as the new owners were selling to dept stores & refusing to honor the lifetime(?) warranty that was originally offered by GT. A lot of LBSes stopped selling the brand.
    It's nice to see them rebuilding the brand into something high end.
    FWIW the second to last issue of Bike had a positive review of the latest "All Mountain" version of the Idrive.

The weight issues was a farce. My large Idrive frame weighed 6.2 #'s. I had the bike built up as light as 25 #'s.

The only reason people thought they were heavy was GT spec'd heavy parts (Z3 forks, large WTB tires, etc) - but the frames were on par with anything, weight wise.

The real issue was their use of an interupted seat tube. They cracked. For that matter, though, every interupted seat tube bike I've had has cracked - Idrives, kestrels, Intense's, etc...

Motion activated
    .....actually, VPP or DW Link is probably the best of all
    Yeah I've seen a guy on this rocky steep trail on a 6 pack and then this guy on a Sunday just blitzed past him like he was standing F-ing still... he didn't even yield to the uphill rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    The weight issues was a farce. My large Idrive frame weighed 6.2 #'s. I had the bike built up as light as 25 #'s.

The only reason people thought they were heavy was GT spec'd heavy parts (Z3 forks, large WTB tires, etc) - but the frames were on par with anything, weight wise.

The real issue was their use of an interupted seat tube. They cracked. For that matter, though, every interupted seat tube bike I've had has cracked - Idrives, kestrels, Intense's, etc...
    I cannot speak to the other designs, but the orig. i-drive design was a serious engineering miscalculation. I was one of, if the first person, to post pictures of my cracked seat mast, which GT replaced. And then it cracked again, in the same exact spot, and at the same exact time interval (several months of fairly light mileage). I rejected the next two warranty frames from GT since I knew there was a design flaw.

To GT’s credit, they finally did give in and gave me a custom front triangle with Easton tubing, which I’ve been riding, happily, ever since.

But, unfortunately for GT, right around this same time period, the engineering design flaw surfaced on the DH i-drive with the shock mounting on the rear triangle snapping like potato chips. This problem with even more wide spread than the seat mast problems on the XC version.

My next bike was a Turner and now building a Reign AM rig. Hopefully I get some good mileage out of it. The custom i-drive is now officially retired... had some really good times on that bike, but it's time to move on and try different sus design.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack_er
    I cannot speak to the other designs, but the orig. i-drive design was a serious engineering miscalculation. I was one of, if the first person, to post pictures of my cracked seat mast, which GT replaced. And then it cracked again, in the same exact spot, and at the same exact time interval (several months of fairly light mileage). I rejected the next two warranty frames from GT since I knew there was a design flaw.

To GTís credit, they finally did give in and gave me a custom front triangle with Easton tubing, which Iíve been riding, happily, ever since.

But, unfortunately for GT, right around this same time period, the engineering design flaw surfaced on the DH i-drive with the shock mounting on the rear triangle snapping like potato chips. This problem with even more wide spread than the seat mast problems on the XC version.

My next bike was a Turner and now building a Reign AM rig. Hopefully I get some good mileage out of it. The custom i-drive is now officially retired... had some really good times on that bike, but it's time to move on and try different sus design.
    I think it would be good to discern between the "idrive design" and frame construction. I too, broke several (lost count - more than a dozen) seat masts on Idrive frames.

Never did the eccentrically mounted bottom bracket design give me troubles that couldn't be handled with a little cleaning and grease.

To be fair -seat mast bikes are weaker than straight seat tube bikes. This is the problem you describe - and this is what has been remedied in the latest round of Idrives.

The idrive suspension itself has actually had few problems.

Curious that you call your Idrive "custom" - lots of people got frames made a wee bit stronger - (identifiable by lack of decals). Did Barry Burke ever contact you to "customize" your frame geometry and tube set? Barry was in charge of production for GT between 1999 and 2002. He would be the guy you worked with, if you actually had a "custom" frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    I think it would be good to discern between the "idrive design" and frame construction. I too, broke several (lost count - more than a dozen) seat masts on Idrive frames.

Never did the eccentrically mounted bottom bracket design give me troubles that couldn't be handled with a little cleaning and grease.

To be fair -seat mast bikes are weaker than straight seat tube bikes. This is the problem you describe - and this is what has been remedied in the latest round of Idrives.

The idrive suspension itself has actually had few problems.

Curious that you call your Idrive "custom" - lots of people got frames made a wee bit stronger - (identifiable by lack of decals). Did Barry Burke ever contact you to "customize" your frame geometry and tube set? Barry was in charge of production for GT between 1999 and 2002. He would be the guy you worked with, if you actually had a "custom" frame.
    I shouldn't have used the word "custom." I think they might have shot it with silver paint, though... I don't know. But, I was dealing with someone at their corp offices in Co. I think his name was McClain or something like that. I was really pissed at the time because it was right around when rumors were running about them going under.

And you're right, the frame came with 0 decals, but came with a decal kit. I never put them on because I liked the low key, butt naked look better anyway.

BTW, I agree about your comments regarding the i-drive system vs. frame construction. I have no problems with the i-drive system and I still like it today. You just needed to relube it with some quality marine grease, then it was zero maintenance for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm wondering how this is possible since the Chainstays are one piece? I am looking at my 5spot and that just doesn't add up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I second that. Which Marin?
    these marins

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Maybe I'm dense, but there is no way that I can see this as possible. The chain stay and seat stays are single pieces... Unless you cut two rear triangles in half and were able to re-weld them (no small feat, as the bushing tolerances are extreemly tight) it is impossible.

I'm calling BS until I see phots's....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I used to think alot like you and then I had sex with a woman
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage
    The new sloped top tube fad is in full swing lol, if it wasnt for the suspension it could look like a marin.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish Dave
    I'm calling BS until I see phots's....
    Yeah me too. I know for a fact that he is just making the whole thing up.

this account retired
    Yeah me too. I know for a fact that he is just making the whole thing up.
    thanks for making me look dumber than usual dude....i did not think it through and thought you were serious. thats weak!

Motion activated
    thanks for making me look dumber than usual dude....i did not think it through and thought you were serious. thats weak!
    Sh1t man I'm sorry, my bad. But you gotta realize that this is the AM board and as such my posts are aimed at the 'thinking man'. Sure, if I'm posting in the SS or 29er forums then I dumb things down a little.

Maybe put something about your SS or 29'ers in you sig so this sort of thing won't happen in the future.
    Last edited by Steve71; 06-15-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Just a punk in the street
    I have a 2005 Idrive that I really like.

After I first bought the bike I got quite concerned because I was hearing/reading what seemed to be a fair amount of negativity towards GT in general. After researching and calling people on their comments or questioning them, I found out that almost all the bad press was coming from those who had never owned or even ridden a GT bike. Those that really owned one liked them. It seems as though the truly unhappy people were those who got caught in the warranty issues when GT was bought out. And more than likely rightly so.

I bought a second GT, a hardtail, and had a problem with the rear hub. I got a hole new rear wheel no questions asked. I am quite happy with my GT experience so far. Only minor repair issues on either bike so far.

The Idrive has been a great bike for me. Solid, handles well, I can climb most stuff I do while seated, comfortable, and has a great soft ride. I am very happy with my Idrive 5 2.0.

this account retired
    Sh1t man I'm sorry, my bad. But you gotta realize that this is the AM board and as such my posts are aimed at the 'thinking man'. Sure, if I'm posting in the SS or 29er forums then I dumb things down a little.

Maybe if you put something about your SS or 29'ers in you sig so this sort of thing won't happen in the future.
    whatever dude, you're no different than those other homer jerks who think they own mtbr

Motion activated
    whatever dude, you're no different than those other homer jerks who think they own mtbr
    N-e-w-(capital)b!

wuss
    I had an i-Drive, and liked the ride. Ended up snapping the frame (Seemed to be a common place to snap it) and selling it after repairs... I think I pushed it too hard, and will take a lot of the blame (though it was the weak spot of the frame). Despite these few years of corporate confusion I would guess they are still fully capable of delivering very nice bikes.

mtbr member
    My first "real" mountain bike was an '01 idrive - the one with a weak seat mast. Never had any problems with the mast though. The bike as a whole was very good. I agree with the above poster who mentioned that most people who don't like GT either A) have never ridden one or B) got screwed by a bankruptcy warranty claim. The latter is the only one that has a right to talk.

After the idrive, I rode a Giant Reign for a while and just recently built up a Heckler. I would have seriously considered another GT, but at the time there weren't any GT dealers close by. The Reign and the Heckler both have much better components than the idrive did, so a direct comparison isn't really fair (in addition to the fact that the idrive is older). But I'm convinced that the idrive suspension design delivers as advertised. My idrive's shock had no platform whatsoever, but resisted pedal induced bobbing as well as any bike I've ridden with a platform shock.

IMO, these new bikes are the best looking full suspension bikes GT has produced. Hope they ride as good as they look.

Awesome, not Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyer Road
    I used to think alot like you and then I had sex with a woman
    I'm calling bs on this... I'll need to see a photo.

And no way does the GT look like a Marin.

Portland, OR
    iDrive, I looked all over mac's website. I cant find the software is it a program for your car?

I've been watching GT for the last two years. good to see them coming back to the LBS. I used to work at performance, I was usually dealing with GT, they're VERY nice people. It seems more like the smaller companies are always the best to deal with. GT, Jamis, Ibex, Transition.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

wuss
    GT is not exactly what I would call small...

GT, Trek, Marin, all those rider owned companies

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    GT is not exactly what I would call small...

GT, Trek, Marin, all those rider owned companies

But they arent Xbox huge like Specialized/Kona/Trek
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

99 YARDS
    Quote Originally Posted by danyiluska
    Wait what about the RTS? Was that not original? I wish they would come up with a long travel version of that frame...

99 YARDS
    Quote Originally Posted by dorsett
    Wait what about the RTS? Was that not original? I wish they would come up with a long travel version of that frame...
    This bike with 5.5" of rear travel.Some body build it for me please

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    But they arent Xbox huge like Specialized/Kona/Trek
    They are owned by Pacific which I believe is one of the, if not the, largest (volume) company in the industry.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Members who have read this thread: 0