mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New frame or new bike

Right now I am currently riding a Ragley mmmbop that I built with a Lyrik with 1.5 steerer. I love the fork and all of the components I used to build the bike but am really wanting to go back to full suspension. So here is the question. Would you build a frame with the components off the old bike or just buy a new bike. I'm trying to keep this relatively cheap. One of the hardest parts in my research is I'm finding it hard to find a full suspension frame with a 1.5 headtube for less than $1500. If you know of any frames that would accept my Lyrik please post them up.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Good frame's aren't cheap. Personally I'd put my money into the frame and transfer over all your current parts. But make sure your fork has enough steer tube otherwise the whole operation becomes a bit more difficult.

mtbr member

Re: New frame or new bike

I'm assuming with the Lyrik you are looking for an all-mountain type frame. Off the top of my head I know Intense Tracer 2 and Pivot Firebird frames have 1.5" head tubes. Have seen pretty good deals on both on various locations people sell used bikes online (eBay, Pinkbike, CraigsList, etc.).

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

mtbr member

If you ride a large. Even if you typically ride a medium take a look at the Firebird geometry. They are a very short reach bike. With a short stem it may be perfect for you.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=290960741155

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessDeviant View Post
    Right now I am currently riding a Ragley mmmbop that I built with a Lyrik with 1.5 steerer. I love the fork and all of the components I used to build the bike but am really wanting to go back to full suspension. So here is the question. Would you build a frame with the components off the old bike or just buy a new bike. I'm trying to keep this relatively cheap. One of the hardest parts in my research is I'm finding it hard to find a full suspension frame with a 1.5 headtube for less than $1500. If you know of any frames that would accept my Lyrik please post them up.
    Full builds have gotten completely ridiculous price-wise in the past 5 years that I'm now just switching over things to a new frame. Most new frames are in the upwards of $2500-$3k, that I'd rather stick with the same wheel size and parts (especially since they're relatively high end and resale on an MTB is horrible) than buy a whole new bike each time. Especially if everything off your old ride is in good condition.

I did that when I switched from the Ventana Ciclon to the Ibis Mojo HD. Ended up replacing two things: a crankset (went back to a 2x and missed my Shimano cranks) and my Gravity Dropper (the shim for the 30.9 to the 31.6 didn't work on the HD), but I was able to sell those and recoup a lot of the cost.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    if you love the parts you already have, and theyll work with whatever frame you want, id just get a new frame

ps, keep an eye out on the SC bikes. they go on sale a lot and several have tapered HTs. they did have some Hecklers for $550 (with rear shock)

Santa Cruz Bicycles
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would love a SC frame. I've looked and looked but haven't found a good answer to the question of will a 1.5 straight steerer fit in a tapered head tube with the right head set.

Stripes: I agree all the complete builds I like are around $3000 and there are components I would still replace on those. That's why I built my hardtail. I prefer to build my bikes because it can be cheaper with the right deals and you get all the components you like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessDeviant View Post
    I would love a SC frame. I've looked and looked but haven't found a good answer to the question of will a 1.5 straight steerer fit in a tapered head tube with the right head set.

Stripes: I agree all the complete builds I like are around $3000 and there are components I would still replace on those. That's why I built my hardtail. I prefer to build my bikes because it can be cheaper with the right deals and you get all the components you like.
    i dont know if theres a headset that will work with your fork and a tapered headtube. why dont you email Santa Cruz, and ask. if one exists, im sure they know about it
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I believe SC Nomad has a 1.5 head tube and there are a few used Nomad frames on eBay at the moment.

mtbr member

Buddy has a lightly used sc nomad frame for sale
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

mtbr member
    I think the sc nomads have a 1.5 headtube on the frame. My friends does...not sure if they are still like that.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

unrooted
    Even if I was going ground up on a new bike I'm pretty sure I would do it part-by part. With the prices from Wiggle and Merlincycles it's damn near the same as buying a new complete bike, plus I wouldn't be swapping items that have little resale value like tires, stem, seatpost, saddle, grips and handlebar.