brazilian biker

New question here. New CB Mallet 1 vs. Shimano M647

Hi All,

I've been looking for more technical trail ride and I'm planning to replace my stock Shimano 505 for a clipless platform. I'm between the new Mallet 1 and Shimans M647. I already searched for some opinions in the forum, but it still hard to decide based on the pros and cons. Also, most of the reviews compare the old Mallet C instead of the Mallet 1(with the new traction pins).

Does anybody here have tried both these pedals to compare? How easy it is to ride unclipped (for short period) on the Mallet 1? Is the M647 a better option when comparing the clip in / out?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have not tried the m647's, but I do have the new Mallets on my hardtail. On the trail I've not yet unclipped in a technical section with the new pedals, but I have ridden them on neighborhood errands w/ regular shoes and the grip from the pins is very good (I did raise the pins a bit and secured them with loctite). Also, I do not notice the spring mechanism when pedaling unclipped, which is a common complaint with the old style Mallets.

Ant

TNC
    noMAD man
    Both of these pedals are very good IMO. The only advantage of the Shimano is the ability to adjust the tension at which you release. I have not seen this new Mallet, but to my understanding all Crank Bros pedals do not release the cleat until you turn your foot the required number of degrees for the gate to release. You can get in at any position, but the release requires the foot to turn a minimum amount. I use Shimano 647's and some old 656's for the reason of the adjustable tension. I know lots of riders who use Crank Bros pedals and don't really have an issue with the release requirement, but it is an issue to be aware of.

On riding on anyone's brand of clipless platform pedals, you can pedal these a lot easier than the XC versions when you're in regular shoes, but they are not pinned platforms by any means. I think they shine the best when you're in and out of the pedals frequently in slower technical terrain when you need to dab and such. The pedals allow you to reacquire the cleat more easily in rough terrain, and even if you don't, it's a lot better than the smaller XC spindles you'd be standing on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What TNC said , just about to switch to 647's from ( old) mallet c's , could never ever get a consistent release from the mallet's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Those 505s are the worst clipless pedals I've ever tried. My $25 wellgo ritichie clones were way better.

I just bought the 647s and they're sweet. Easy to clip in, easy to clip out, yet very secure. Have not tried the Mallets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I had the old mallets and thought they were good until I tried the 647's. I now run the 647's on my hard tail and full susser and would not change back. The quality is 100 times better and I like the ease with which you can clip in and out.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    You should check out some TIME stuff too just to confuse yourself a little more. I prefer it over SPD for the feel of the clip in.

mtbr member

We have M-647's on the way now.

My girlfriend just tried Candy-C's after using older Shimano pedals for years, and she started falling down much more. She simply had times when she could not get out when doing technical rocky climbs. I have read of others having this same problem on the Candy's, and Mallets.

Mountain Bike Action just had a review of the M-647 and gave it 5 out of 5 stars. Also, you can use the SH-56 multi realease cleat, and then if you go over the bars, you can realease by yanking your foot up, and do not have to twist. This is not an option on the Egg-Beater type pedals, and release tension adjust is also not an option. So we have opted to try the Shimano M-647 pedals with the multi-release cleats.

mtbr member

The Adidas Plush shoe available at killer price too!! $38

My girlfriend came across a smoking deal. I ordered some 07 Adidas Plush shoes off Bluesky, for $85 (normally $130)

They did not have my girlfriends size so she decided to bite the bullet and go to Beyond Bikes and pay the $130 for the 08's She put in the bargain code "MYST" at the checkout, and it reduced the shoe to $38. They don't have my size though But that sale is still on and still some common sizes available.

semantic blockage
    I have a few short rides on the new Mallets, using my 5.10 impact shoes. There's plenty of grip from the set screw pins, and the part you clip into on the pedal isn't really in the way - this is a temporary setup for me as I'm ordering 661 Filter SPD type shoes.