mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New cassette not running freely.

Hi guys,
    I have a bit of a problem i need some help with. Today i had my lbs install a new 10 speed xt m771 cassette. After getting it home its not spinning very well when i move the pedals, and it also feels like its slightly grinding to. The old 9 speed cassette was running smooth when i took it in, the freewheel was fine to. Infact the whole wheel assembly is only about 3 months old, tops. It's a bontrager at650 disc wheel on a trek 4500 '13 bike.
    Could the bloke in my lbs have screwed something up? Or could there possibly be an incompatibility between the cassette and wheel assembly? I don't see why there should be and i did alot of looking around to find a good cassette and any incompatibility issues were never mentioned. I have also replaced the front & rear mechs and shifters to xt aswell, but this shouldn't be the issue as the cassette does the same thing when the wheels not on the bike.
    I'm really peeved off at the mo, i spent alot of money upgrading everything only for it to be running worse than when i started.
    If anyone can suggest what the problem might be,that would be great.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    take it back and have them make it right
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Volcomist View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a bit of a problem i need some help with. Today i had my lbs install a new 10 speed xt m771 cassette. After getting it home its not spinning very well when i move the pedals, and it also feels like its slightly grinding to. The old 9 speed cassette was running smooth when i took it in, the freewheel was fine to. Infact the whole wheel assembly is only about 3 months old, tops. It's a bontrager at650 disc wheel on a trek 4500 '13 bike.
    Could the bloke in my lbs have screwed something up? Or could there possibly be an incompatibility between the cassette and wheel assembly? I don't see why there should be and i did alot of looking around to find a good cassette and any incompatibility issues were never mentioned. I have also replaced the front & rear mechs and shifters to xt aswell, but this shouldn't be the issue as the cassette does the same thing when the wheels not on the bike.
    I'm really peeved off at the mo, i spent alot of money upgrading everything only for it to be running worse than when i started.
    If anyone can suggest what the problem might be,that would be great.
    Thanks.
    I'd be peeved,too. That said not all freewheel are created equal, and I don't have any familiarity with the one you mention. All I can add is that the Hadleys and the Shimano freewheel sets I've used have all performed admirably. Sounds like something is gumming up the pawls or something on the rear hub. Good luck, you should be able to get top the bottom of this, and your local wrench most certainly should.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I really hope my lbs does get to the bottom of it, as at the moment it looks like it might be his fault.lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I certainly will be taking it back in, and i'll be whipping him with his own chain whip.lol

unrooted
    New cassette and freewheels or just new cassette?

Either way it sounds like you need to find a new shop or invest in some tools and start using: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog

This is why I no longer use bike shops, if something's wrong I want to be able to learn how to fix it myself, and I can save a FORTUNE buying things online. Plus bike shop employees have all become know-it-alls that just repeat whatever the sales rep last told them.

mtbr member
    What do you mean when you say not spinning freely?
    Do you mean the freewheel itself is stiff, or the wheel has resistance when you try to pedal, as if say the brakes are binding?

For example if your LBS have fitted a clutch rear mech such as the Shadow plus, you will get more resistance in some gears if you are trying it with the bike on a stand, or upside down.

But this will not be noticeable when actually riding the bike.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    I'm sure this is going to be a stupid suggestions but...

You stated you had a 9 speed cassette you changed to a 10 speed. The chain was changed to a 10 speed at the same time, right?

You also said the free wheeling felt bad when you back pedaled. Does the freewheel action grind on its own when the chain is removed? Take the wheel off of the bike and hand spin the cassette. Does it still grind?
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi,
    yes it feels like resistance when i move the pedals and when i spin the cassette backwards that has slight resistance to. As far as i'm aware the shimano xt m771 cassette is not a clutch type cassette . As i say it also feels like its grinding, or very slightly shuddering as you pedal or spin the cassette backwards. It's very hard to explain, it just does not feel smooth at all compared to what it felt like with a much cheaper/crappier cassette attached before i took it to my lbs.
    I get the feeling my lbs will deny any wrong doing on their behalf, so i was hoping to get to the bottom of it before i take it back into the shop, so i could say "this, this and this" is wrong with it, and it happened after they had it.
    I've also checked on my other bike which has a cheaper 4 year old cassette on it and it runs smooth as silk compared to the new one. So surely something must be wrong somewhere, i just have no idea where.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @Bankerboy,
    Hi, yes i brought a kmc x10l so the chain shouldn't be the problem.
    And unfortunately i have had the wheel off and it does feel the same when i spin the freewheel backwards, and it comes to a stop slightly faster than it used to as well.
    It's all got me stumped to be honest, i haven't got a clue what the problem is.

unrooted
    What you need to do is buy a chain whip, and a cassette lockring removal tool

Park Tool Co. FR-5 : Cassette Lockring Tool : Freewheel & Cassette
    Park Tool Co. SR-11 : 5 to 11-Speed Compatible Chain Whip/Sprocket Remover : Freewheel & Cassette

Then remove the cassette yourself.

I am not familiar with the " bontrager at650 disc wheel" but with my hope hubs you can easily pop the freewheel off of the hub (freewheel is what the cassette slides onto), and you have to get the seal placed just right to get it to not drag.

I hope that makes some sense.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Cheers unrooted but my budget took a bit of a kick in the nuts buy all the xt gear. But i think getting my own tools in the future is probably the best way to go as you say.

"you have to get the seal placed just right to get it to not drag."
    Thanks thats a good bit of ammunition to chuck at my lbs, at least i might sound a little bit like i know what i'm talking about.lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    *oops sorry meant 'buying' not buy*

unrooted
    It's hard to know if that is actually the case since I have never seen those hubs before.

At the very least learn the names of the different parts of the hub: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Hub Overhaul and Adjustment

Paying full retail for XT is EXPENSIVE, but it will last you a long long time!

Tools are also quite expensive, but they will last you longer than multiple bikes. I like to find out how much it would cost for the parts and to have a shop do the work for me, then I buy the appropriate tools for the job and the parts online, but I also don't like bike shops!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thankfully i bought it all online from chainreactioncycles.com, still cost a fair wedge though. As you can probably tell the budget wasn't exactly big to begin with.