Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

New Blue Pig club member

Well, hell, I drank some kool-aid. Looking for an interesting new build and decided to give a longer-travel hardtail a go. Sold my SS 29er, which wasn't being ridden. This new bike will be a backup/fun bike to my go-to rig, a Titus El Guapo.

I ride pretty technical, rocky Arizona trails, so I'm not 100% sold on the hardtail idea, but thought I'd give it a try.

Frame showed up from CRC in just less than two weeks total, so no complaints there. Had to jump through some delivery hoops, but that's a USPS thing. There was absolutely no padding/packaging in the box, just a frame and a sticker pack. I'm astounded that the frame didn't get hashed during the trans-Atlantic trip, but it appears nearly perfect. The paint is thin around the head tube and there's a paint bubble on the top tube, but that's it. No real complaints in that regard; two weeks of riding in the rocks here and it's going to look like crap anyway.

Otherwise, the paint is nice, the welds are clean and I really like the do-it-yourself sticker pack; wish more manufacturers did that. For reference, I'm 6'2" and about 190; the frame is an 18. It does looks a little small, but it's pretty hard to tell unbuilt.

Photos:

I decided to go all new on this build to save from dinking around trying to piecemeal parts from here and there. The build will be:

Manitou Minute Elite 140
    Cane Creek S3
    Transition Temple stem 50mm
    Deity Dirty30 bars
    Avid Elixir R 185/185
    Kind Shock I7 adjustable with Chromag seat
    Transition Revolution 32s tubeless with Minion and Ignitor
    Truvativ 1x9 drivetrain with E13 Freehucker guide
    SRAM X9 shifter/rear der.
    Deity Decoy flats and various Hope bits (clamp, spacers, etc.)

Just awaiting the last of my parts and will start building next week.

habitual line-stepper
    nice! my frame arrived from CRC this afternoon, right after i got back from a ride. ordered the frame dec 4th, 12 days total, so not too bad. i'm doing a budget build with most of the parts coming from my IH MKIII. i was looking at those manitou forks, but ended up with a sweet deal on a new marz 44 tst2 air (in white, too). looking forward to your build, i'll post up some pics once i get everthing together. congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've run the 29er version of the Minute previously and had no issues with it once the oil levels were sorted. Wasn't my first choice, but I scored it brand-new for $200.

I walk the line
    That's a really nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Build's looking good.
    Last edited by eurospek; 12-17-2010 at 07:44 PM.

I'm more of a dog person
    bike seems a little small for you. wouldn't 18" be a medium for alot of companies? combine that with a 50mm stem and i would think it would be better suited for someone closer to my size, and i'm 6" shorter than you are. my guess is you're gonna need to double the length of that stem to feel comfortable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yay! Santa said the bike frame box was too large to fit in the sleigh on his normal Xmas run so he dropped it off early! I have a shiny new 16" black Blue Pig frame now...it will be my first build from the frame up :-)

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller
    bike seems a little small for you. wouldn't 18" be a medium for alot of companies? combine that with a 50mm stem and i would think it would be better suited for someone closer to my size, and i'm 6" shorter than you are. my guess is you're gonna need to double the length of that stem to feel comfortable.
    conventionally yes, but maybe not here.

That’s the numbers as most manufacturers will display them on their site. We’d recommend sizing by HEIGHT though – not top tube length. NOTE :: our numbers displayed above are “SAGGED” geometry, with you sat on the bike, an 140mm fork, set at 40mm sag.

Sizing advice:-

16in – from 5’5″ to 5’10″
    18in – from 5’10″ to 6’2″
    20in – from 6’1″ to 6’5″
    Whats this line for?

habitual line-stepper
    got her finished this evening after a christmas party
    18" frame, 50 mm 0* stem, marz 44 tst2 air 140 mm fork

hoses are a little long as they came off of a 19" FS frame, oh well. took a few sprints down the 'hood and bike feels good, can't wait to hit some trails! how's it coming along, blatant?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Looking good. Mine hasn't changed. I ordered most of my build kit from Drop N Zone; it'll be here on Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Kanai/Blatant - I'm thinking about switching my parts over from a SC Chameleon to one of these and I am interested to hear your impressions of the bike once you have a chance to ride it.

mtbr member
    I'm the same height and almost pulled the trigger on the 18" you're a braver soul than I

habitual line-stepper
    got her out on the trails for a nice 2 hour ride. took a little getting used to at first, but the more i rode, the better the ride was. climbing was fun, made an uphill switchback that i usually dab on my other rides. descending was straight dope, came away with stupid grins at the bottom of each run. even after 2 hours, no back or neck pain, just tired legs. i'm very happy with my purchase! crappy cell phone pic, post-ride:

mtbr member
    ^ How tall are you?

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Looking good. Mine hasn't changed. I ordered most of my build kit from Drop N Zone; it'll be here on Tuesday.

Nice looking HT! Now get that thing put together Tuesday so we can ride!!!............Drew

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'll be up to ride Tuesday ... on the El Guapo.

"No Clue Crew"
    I'll be up to ride Tuesday ... on the El Guapo.

Cool deal. My EG is on blocks for a bit but I can ride the HT

habitual line-stepper
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    ^ How tall are you?
    a little over 6' with ~33" inseam and long arms. i was unsure about running a 0* stem, but so far its working out fine. i left about 10 mm above the stem if i need to raise it up a bit. i'm guessing that this bike will be the one i grab 90% of the time. i may have to sell my other hardtail with its "old school" geo and hook up my new girl with some nice hoops.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I'm the same height and almost pulled the trigger on the 18" you're a braver soul than I
    Not terribly brave. It's a $300 frame. If it doesn't fit, I'll sell it and buy something different. I think it'll fit well, though, for my riding style.

"No Clue Crew"
    Not terribly brave. It's a $300 frame. If it doesn't fit, I'll sell it and buy something different. I think it'll fit well, though, for my riding style.

I'm first in line

"No Clue Crew"
    Blatant, why didn't you get an XL so I could buy it from you in 6 months ?

I'm anxious to see how you like it on SoMo.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Build mostly complete:

A box, a frame, a dream ...

Just riding around the block, it doesn't feel too small at all. Plenty of seatpost, knees not hitting bars, etc.

mtbr member
    Dude that cockpit looks freakin tiny. And holy crap thats a lot of spacers under that stem

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    OK. Thanks for the input. It's fewer spacers than on my El Guapo and the front of the Ragley is still lower. Guess I'll keep setting 'em up the way I like 'em.

mtbr member
    Its not the setup, its the size of the frame, of course you need all those spacers, the head tube is too short because you're 6'2" on a size 18" bike. You might "like em" better if they fit you correctly, just because you don't "hit your knees on the bars" does not mean it fits. But besides the clown bike sizing, I like the way you set it up and the white wheels and fork looks sick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast