Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

new bike! upgrade advice needed

just picked up a 09 specialized p1 all mountain bike yesterday. im stoked this is my first real (non wallyworld)bike. i bought it knowing the components were entry level with upgrading it in mind. once i sat on it i wanted it... it seemed to fit me the best out of all the bikes i was looking at... and for the price i could have paid that for the frame itself. i already pulled off the reflectors and kick-stand since the photo.

after putting a few miles on it and hitting up a local trail today(2.5mile mostly flat loop with a couple decent jumps if you look hard enough) i think the fork needs to be the first thing to go. its a suntour 100mm coil spring fork... had a sticker on it saying not intended for anything other than light trail riding and it shows lol. im looking for some opinions, something in the 100-130mm range... im not looking for anything too crazy just somthing that i can beat on without much worry...and under 400 if possible. i was looking online and dig a couple marzocchi forks, but its kinda hard to tell what fork is designed for what?
    Last edited by mbnewb151; 03-17-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Yung Wun Ho!!
    If u are already looking to upgrade after acouple rides then u should have bought the bike a level above yours..I love when people say my limit on a bike is such an amount then 2 weeks later they wanna dump half of what they paid for the bike on upgrades..But anyways I guess a RockShox Tora would work but your bike is meant more for dirt jumping not really trail riding..
    08 Giant Rincon:Bontrager, Azonic, Avid
    09 Giant Trance X3:Worth as much as a used car now
    08 Giant Reign X1 Build:Fox,Avid

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    pedals, take off the reflectors, maybe new grips, get a bashguard, take off those things on your bars..idk what they are called, and if you find yourself not using the inside our outside chainrings, take them off, along with the derailleur

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JDel
    If u are already looking to upgrade after acouple rides then u should have bought the bike a level above yours..I love when people say my limit on a bike is such an amount then 2 weeks later they wanna dump half of what they paid for the bike on upgrades..But anyways I guess a RockShox Tora would work but your bike is meant more for dirt jumping not really trail riding..

yea my limit was x amount and now i want to spend more to make it better sorry. its easier for me to come up with a few hundred here and there than it is to come up with a couple grand up front though... and i do like to tinker with stuff so whats the harm?

why would you say this is a dj bike though, are you mistaking it with the other version of p bikes? from what i saw the geometry is very similar to a rockhopper but with a heavy-duty frame.

mtbr member
    First off: kickstand, bar-ends and reflectors are definate no-no's

I'd start off by changing the pedals and getting a set of disc brakes (Maybe Avid BB7's). After that i'd change the fork, but forks aint cheap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    yea already pulled the reflectors and kickstand.. whats wrong with bar ends?

Yung Wun Ho!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbnewb151
    yea my limit was x amount and now i want to spend more to make it better sorry. its easier for me to come up with a few hundred here and there than it is to come up with a couple grand up front though... and i do like to tinker with stuff so whats the harm?

why would you say this is a dj bike though, are you mistaking it with the other version of p bikes? from what i saw the geometry is very similar to a rockhopper just with a more bombproof frame.
    Honestly ull just be wasting your money upgrading that bike..Just because Specialized's website says its an "all mountain" bike it is far from that..No Disc brakes to boat...Trust me that frame is far from bombproof..If u really want your fork to be worth more than the bike thats cool if thats what u want..I would never think of taking a bike like that out on trails I ride..I would suggest ordering a new bike putting in on layaway and just ride the P till its dead..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JDel
    Honestly ull just be wasting your money upgrading that bike..Just because Specialized's website says its an "all mountain" bike it is far from that..No Disc brakes to boat...Trust me that frame is far from bombproof..If u really want your fork to be worth more than the bike thats cool if thats what u want..I would never think of taking a bike like that out on trails I ride..I would suggest ordering a new bike putting in on layaway and just ride the P till its dead..
    damn dude... nothing like pissing on someones cheerios... thanks for your opinion though.

Yung Wun Ho!!
    Hey man I would rather be honest with ya then see ya go dump tons of money into a bike that might not handle what u wanna ride acouple months from now..

mtbr member
    Ride it until stuff breaks on it - then replace those parts with upgrades. A real waste (especially with todays economic turmoil happening) to replace brand new parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Ride it until stuff breaks on it - then replace those parts with upgrades. A real waste (especially with todays economic turmoil happening) to replace brand new parts.
    i hear you about the economic turmoil. im not going to replace the drivetrain or anything untill i need to, im just not too happy with the fork. kinda acted more like a pogo stick than a shock lol. so id like to replace that from the start. other than that ill ride it untill stuff breaks like you said.

mtbr member
    wow, I really dig those colors, nice looking bike.

If you still insist on upgrading your Fork, then the Best&Cheapest option(IMO) would be a Tora 318, Both Coil & Air can be found Brand New Online for under $250(Air - $209 | Coil - $240). I already Ordered the Air version which should be here soon. You can get yourself some Accessories like Hydration Pack, Platform/Clipless pedals etc...

Personally, I wouldn't buy $400+ fork and put it on a $500 bike,

Enjoy Your Ride.
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

Platforms For Life
    See if you can return it and get a Rockhopper Disc, that may cost more but it will last you forever, unless you do something bad.

I bought a Trek 4500 as my hardtail because it feels much better than the Rockhopper, but I REALLY regret not getting disc brakes everytime the wheels get wet.

Also the Cannondale F5, and Trek 4300 Disc seemed like good options. You can afford the 4300, but the fork really sucks.

2008 GT Force 3.0
    2009 Bianchi Pista fixie

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    When I got my first bike shop bike I was thinking just like you. I thought my trek 3700 was an awesome bike. Even though it was far better put together than any bike I'd used from department stores I realized pretty quickly that upgrading it was not a good long term investment. I replaced parts as they broke, with the first being the rear derailleur, then seat, rear wheel...handlebars (wtf?). Once it was obvious that the fork was going to die I stopped riding the bike. Replacing the fork was going to cost as much as the bike, and it would allow me to ride even harder stuff, which in turn would probably break even more components. In the end I saved up and bought something way nicer but still affordable.

As others have said: just replace things as they break. The bike will be put to good use while you learn what kind of trails you like to ride and how much you want to push your limits. Then when you are ready to buy something new you'll have a good idea of what components you want/need.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Yea that really is just a relabled base level hardrock, you would be much better off saving a few more weeks, and getting a bike that comes with first a decent fork, and second disk compatible wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks for the comments guys. its funny i was going to get the rockhopper until i told the guy at the lbs that i was planning on being pretty hard on it... he told me this was the toughest hardtail frame spec makes (outside of carbon) and if im planning on doing alot of jumping and dropping this would be a better option... the only thing was that the components on it were pretty entry level... i didnt get the disc brake model cuz i didnt like the available paint schemes lol. it does resemble a hardrock but if you look at them side by side the frame is alot more beefed up.

i bought it thinking it would be a good bike to build up, i guess im kinda dissapointed now that you guys are telling me otherwise... either way though this is the bike i got now, no shoulda or coulda anymore, and saving up to buy a whole new bike really isnt an option for the next couple years(my wife would have my balls).

i hear what you guys are saying though about not spending as much on a fork as the bike. the tora 318 sounds like a winner. what are the differances between air and coil as far as the ride goes? (my old bike had a rigid fork)

mtbr member
    That bike is sweet, honestly the other bikes people are mentioning really dont have very good forks or wheels either..... Its one thing to move up a model to get what you really want/need but if its just "a little better" screw it and just replace stuff as it breaks.

And I dont buy that "you could not ride that on my trail stuff" I have seen way way to many super high end bikes taking the easy options to believe that so many of the posters here are so good..... besides I know guys that ride AM bikes at Snow Shoe and 7-Springs downhill parks and have a great time even though they have to take it more easy than they would on a big bike.

FYI I picked up some pretty nice stuff on clearance Race Face Atlas cranks for $100, Marzocchi ATA 140mm fork's for $350, my LBS always seems to have take off hydro disk brakes for cheap and seems many people buy nicer wheels right off the bat and dump the old ones on Ebay.....

When it comes time to upgrade I dont need the latest and greatest, and look for last years model or older stock and get some pretty big discounts (I accept I will never be cool here, but I'll live)

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by mbnewb151
    thanks for the comments guys. its funny i was going to get the rockhopper until i told the guy at the lbs that i was planning on being pretty hard on it... he told me this was the toughest hardtail frame spec makes (outside of carbon) and if im planning on doing alot of jumping and dropping this would be a better option... the only thing was that the components on it were pretty entry level... i didnt get the disc brake model cuz i didnt like the available paint schemes lol. it does resemble a hardrock but if you look at them side by side the frame is alot more beefed up.

i bought it thinking it would be a good bike to build up, i guess im kinda dissapointed now that you guys are telling me otherwise... either way though this is the bike i got now, no shoulda or coulda anymore, and saving up to buy a whole new bike really isnt an option for the next couple years(my wife would have my balls).

i hear what you guys are saying though about not spending as much on a fork as the bike. the tora 318 sounds like a winner. what are the differances between air and coil as far as the ride goes? (my old bike had a rigid fork)

Spice
    Dec 2008
    GET RID OF THE FORKS!!!!!
    i had those on my hardtail, after a few months they got riduclously soft

some disc brakes would be good, avid juicy 3 or better? hydraulics are DEFINATLY worth the extra money

get some new pedals you wont regret it, more grip changed the way i can ride a lot

looking at it though, nothing looks to amazing (no offence), i think you'll end up replacing everything and keeping the frame if your doing jumps ......

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This thread is ridiculous...

Your bike is all-mountain, even if not a very durable one. It is not intended to be a jump bike (seattube length, gears). Do you want it to be?

I don't think that anyone should say that a bike sucks because it's cheap, its just rude
    Additionally, most upgrades you make can be transfered to your next bike, or sold.

First thing you should do,is adjust the bike to fit you well, if the shop hasn't already done so. You can mess with shifter and brake lever andle, distance in from the grips, saddle hight, fore-aft adjustment, and tilt. After this, make sure all bolts and srews are snug. Once comfotable, find out what psi you like to run for certain types of riding, it makes a huge difference.

Other free improvements are tuning brakes and shifting systems.

Now, about upgrades...

The first upgrades you should make are pedals (want clipless or flat?), saddle, and grips. Comfort is important

Secondly, tires, but I have no clue what sort of trails you ride.

One of the last upgrades that I would make, just because it's expensive, is a new fork. If it's not to your liking, contact SR Suntour or your shop, and ask them what the tuning options are.

Congrats on your new bike, enjoy it!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com
    hydraulics are DEFINATLY worth the extra money
    Most of the time, I really dont think they are. Good, cheap disc brakes like BB7s would be a much better option. I have hayes mx-2 cable and they feel great. If hydraulics could stop me much faster than good cable brakes id be suprised ^^.

Get a new fork (ones that others have suggested). Getting new pedals is the first thing I would do (and have done) on all my bikes.

If you need to in the future get some disc compatable wheels and some BB7's.

Regret is the worst feeling when buying a new bike, but thats a nice bike and you should upgrade things when you need too (another bad thing is spending more money on a better bike, and regretting that too).

Also that JDel guy sounds like an ass

And alot of forks have that sticker on saying it should only be used for XC riding. Even more exepensive AM ones.

mtbr member
    We're not pissing on anyone's bike cause it's cheap. But reality not kind, from what I'm reading, he wants:
    - a fork - reba $215
    - disc brakes = wheelset - $110 (minimun if keep tires) + brakes ~$140 (mechs - okay theoretically, he could get some $35 set of "winzip" discs but i'd pass)

So um, if his bike was $500, that'll cost him pretty damn close to $1000 total and still have cheap drivetrain components. It's doesn't make any sense.

Yung Wun Ho!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRef
    Most of the time, I really dont think they are. Good, cheap disc brakes like BB7s would be a much better option. I have hayes mx-2 cable and they feel great. If hydraulics could stop me much faster than good cable brakes id be suprised ^^.

Get a new fork (ones that others have suggested). Getting new pedals is the first thing I would do (and have done) on all my bikes.

If you need to in the future get some disc compatable wheels and some BB7's.

Regret is the worst feeling when buying a new bike, but thats a nice bike and you should upgrade things when you need too (another bad thing is spending more money on a better bike, and regretting that too).

Also that JDel guy sounds like an ass

And alot of forks have that sticker on saying it should only be used for XC riding. Even more exepensive AM ones.
    Maybe your the ass.. I just think that the bike he has isnt meant to handle the rough all mountain trails..Take that bike out on a trail that is rough and tell me how the brakes hold up and how it feels on the downhill sections..This is my opinion and im entitled to it..I would personally not do a thing to the bike just ride it till stuff brakes like everyone says..Put the money down on a new bike on layaway and by the time u grow tired of it ull have the new one paid off..People that call other people asses are really the asses..U dont see me bashing u..He asked for an opinion and he got it..Im not gonna butter up a statement to make sure no one has to crack open a box of tissues..I didnt say to him hey you bike flat out sucks or its a piece of crap..I mearly stated that it would be a waste to dump money into it and I wouldnt go down that path..If he wants to use my opinion to sway his decisions thats cool if he doesnt oh well..And if u say someone "sounds" like an ass thats u assuming and we all know what that means..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    took it out again today and hit the same trail a little harder. kinda veered off into another section that i hadnt found the day before where there was some better dh sections. one hill in particular had a bunch of roots giving kindof a stairstep effect. i went down and back up a few times and started playing with the fork adjustments. i got it so that its definately tighter than it was and feels right when it gives, but it still springs back too hard for my liking. like i said my old bike was rigid and dont know much about forks so do most forks bounce back like that or is it just cuz i have a low-end fork? i also noticed that i would like some better traction with better pedals, can anyone throw out a few names to look at?

all and all i like the bike, feels good to ride it and i plan on riding it quite a bit. i wasnt expecting it to be a showstopper, just a decent hardtail that i can ride the snit out of.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    We're not pissing on anyone's bike cause it's cheap. But reality not kind, from what I'm reading, he wants:
    - a fork - reba $215
    - disc brakes = wheelset - $110 (minimun if keep tires) + brakes ~$140 (mechs - okay theoretically, he could get some $35 set of "winzip" discs but i'd pass)

So um, if his bike was $500, that'll cost him pretty damn close to $1000 total and still have cheap drivetrain components. It's doesn't make any sense.

ok so 200 for a fork one month, 200 for some wheels and brakes another month, if i do have problems with the drivetrain theres another couple hundred a few months down the road... so what... its not like im a broke-ass i just live on a budget and also have other priorities. for me to save or pay off a $2000dollar bike id be lucky if i had it by next spring. but a couple hundred here and there as i need it i shouldnt have a hard time with, and in the mean-time i have a bike to ride. i dont really care if its "cost effective", for me its "affordable" lol.

Yung Wun Ho!!
    U might want to try adjusting the suntour more..I have one on my Rincon and it felt like weaksauce at first but while I was on the trails I would do slight adjustments every couple miles or so and then pick the setting which feels the best..If your going to be going up alot I would set the fork more stiff..Its just now pissing out after a year..And mind u I was VERY rough on it..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast