mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New bike shop employee, now looking to build my first AM rig!

I don't have much experience riding FS rigs, nor do I know much about the suspension designs or such. I currently ride a Specialized Hard Rock with a 130mm fork, and have ridden it downhill and do street riding on it.

I recently started working in a bike shop, mostly on 10 year old Walmart CCM bikes coming in for tuneups... so I have access to wholesale prices for parts, and do a lot of our ordering from Norco.. Keeping that in mind, where do you suggest I start?
    1. I don't want to ride 29er.

2. I like the look of the Santa Cruz Bronson.

3. My budget is about $2000 CAD for the build (which would be roughly $3000-$4000 for a non-employee), and I don't want a CF frame.

Any direction would be nice; I'd love to do my own research. What types of frame/ shock design would best suit North Shore / some Whistler biking? I love singletrack, want to be able to bike up, enjoy slow technical stuff.. AKA a solid AM machine; I would rather sacrifice a little uphill prowess for a slacker AM frame to handle the nasty stuff.

Is 650b here to stay? Would I be better off sticking to 26"?

Cheers.

Big Test Icycles

New bike shop employee, now looking to build my first AM rig!

If your shop has a connection to Norco take a serious look at a Norco Range. 6" bike that was basically designed around the NS.

Addicted
    May 2006
    I love my Pivot 5.7c. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
    If I couldn't have the Pivot, I'd go for the Norco Range. We've sold a couple of the Sights and Ranges and everyone is loving them(including those of us with extended ride time on the demo's).
    The base level Range fork works great once you pull it apart and make the air spring chamber smaller(big glob of Slick-Honey on top of the piston) which helps the fork ramp up and control the use of the travel better.
    The Norco's have a little more 'active' pedal induced bob in the granny ring than some, but the slightly rearward wheelpath feels great and has wonderful traction.

I'd skip the Bronson. Before my Pivot 5.7c I had a TRC and a Chameleon. Both were horrible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You work in a shop? Wouldn't you get better info from your experienced co-workers than a bunch of srtangers on line that know nothing about where and how you ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    You work in a shop? Wouldn't you get better info from your experienced co-workers than a bunch of srtangers on line that know nothing about where and how you ride.
    My boss rides recumbents, and my co-worker rides a road bike from the 1980's. Neither of them have seriously ridden down a mountain; its just not that kind of shop.

mtbr member
    A lot of bike companies offer special employee discounts on complete bikes, sometimes around 15% below wholesale. I'd look into that depending on what brands your shop carries.

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by D4ng3r View Post
    I'd love to do my own research.
    and then...

mtbr member
    the 2013 Sight (26") frame and Reverb combo seems like a good deal...

mtbr member
    Dude, the Bronson looks sick! I hope to pick one up next year... Riding a cannondale trigger 29er 1 right now.