mtbr member
    May 2018

New Bike Recomendation

Hello all,
    Long time lurker here.
    Iím looking at upgrading to the full suspension world (coming from a 2014 Scott Aspect hardtail). Iím looking to stay in the $2500 ballpark. Iíve shopped around a lot online and recently took a visit to the LBS to see what they had.

They have a 2017 Cannondale Habit 3 (carbon) knocked down $800. They can also put me in the 2018/19 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (alloy) for the same money.

Outside of these two, I have also considered the Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 and Diamondback Release 3, both of which are a bit cheaper than the Cannondale & Specialized.

Just looking at components, the Canyon seems to win in value. The Habit is tempting with it being carbon but doesnít have quite the travel as the Canyon and Diamondback. But coming from a hardtail 100mm bike, anything is going to be a carpet ride. I just want to make a wise use of my moneyÖthereís a lot out there to consider.

Thank you for your time!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=253548-154962

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...Carbon-3,19853

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/spe...pectral-al-6-0

https://www.diamondback.com/release-3

Bikesexual
    I'm probably not much help but that Canyon is awesome! It has Pike too! Looks like a great deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The Release 3 gets stellar reviews and comes with great components. It's great do everything bike.

If I didn't already have a bike that I love, I'd get a Release myself.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I would go with the release 3 or canyon over either of the other 2 choices..never been a big fan of c-dale or spesh.. And the diamondback and spectral both look excellent for the money. The DB is a touch lighter than the Canyon but both get good reviews..Or you can get a really good bike on pinkbike or ebay if you go used. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    That canyon boasts an impressive spec for the money and the geo looks spot on for a fun capable trail bike. I haven't ridden any of those bike but if I had to buy blind my money would go towards the canyon. I do have the exact tire set up that they are using and I have to say a 2.6 minion up front and a 2.6 recon out back is a great combo
    Last edited by Libikerdad; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added info

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Iím definitely leaning towards the Canyon or Diamondback. Both are very close in components and weight and price. Is the 12s Eagle and Maxxis tires worth holding out for the Canyon to come back in stock?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    If the canyons not in stock you may also want to consider the yt jeffsy the aluminum models are similarly priced and are supposed to be excellent

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    FYI stop think about anything regarding travel. Not sure why people still push for big travel for bike that entry bikes handle just fine.

Hell I live in the Midwest and can't bottom out 130mm.

Your kind of "money burning a hole in your pocket". With what your coming from and used to riding both the canyon and diamondback are likely more bike than youll ever make use of. Look less at the travel (and the Pike is nothing great once you ridden an actual good fork, OEM Pikes suck) and more about how much bike you can use where you ride. Then see if your money can go further for a lite less travel/less aggressive bike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Canyon :FTW:

Seriously thinking about n+1'ing the CF 8.0
    or the Al 6.0

Looks like a great, do-it-all mule.

Front end is a little tall, but workarounds can be made ;-)

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You've been riding a ht with a Suntour XCM coil fork. 100mm travel but really a bike path fork. Not giving actual performance for trail riding.
    You would benefit from hitting some demo days. Ride a hardtail with real suspension setup for trails. Or test ride in and out of ditches and on the grass. For where you ride in VA light and low to mid should be where you're looking. A ht with wider rims and tires and a good fork would be the bikes I'd look at. Like a SC Chameleon. Or a Trek Stache. For fs a used Ripley if you can fit the short cockpit or a Pivot 429 Trail. Pinkbike Buy/Sell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I personally would look for a deal on a used bike. You can really grab some great deals on high end bikes on the used market. Unfortunately bikes don't retain a high value after initial purchase.

Just to give you an idea, I bought a 2018 santa Cruz 5010, carbon brand new for 5000. Decided it was too big for me and now I'm selling it. I'll be selling it for around $2500 because half price is about all I can expect on a bike with only 3 rides. For sure, I will be considering used in the future.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You've been riding a ht with a Suntour XCM coil fork. 100mm travel but really a bike path fork. Not giving actual performance for trail riding.
    You would benefit from hitting some demo days. Ride a hardtail with real suspension setup for trails. Or test ride in and out of ditches and on the grass. For where you ride in VA light and low to mid should be where you're looking. A ht with wider rims and tires and a good fork would be the bikes I'd look at. Like a SC Chameleon. Or a Trek Stache. For fs a used Ripley if you can fit the short cockpit or a Pivot 429 Trail. Pinkbike Buy/Sell.
    I appreciate the biking wisdom. Iíve actually updated the Scott a bit over the years. Iíve installed a 100mm Manitou air fork, updated rear derailer and shifter, 2.2 all mountain tires, and clipless pedals. The suntour fork didnít survive the trails here. Haha

Im looking for something with more trail oriented geometry with a dropper. I almost bought one for the Scott but decided to buy a more modern trail oriented bike with all the bells and whistles instead of throwing more money into a budget bike.

The long travel isnít the main selling point on either bike. However, Iím looking for something that will push my riding ability and I can grown into skill wise with a quality component set for the money.
    Last edited by kastevenson; 1 Week Ago at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I agree that a lot of people are riding bikes with more travel than they need, but I don't think that's the case here. 130 or 140mm is pretty standard for a general purpose trail bike and nowadays they're so much more efficient than they used to be. For example, Jason from Mtbyumyum said that if you're looking at a thunderbolt, you might as well get the altitude ..more travel but just as efficient. Why not get 130 or 140 over 100-120 in case you need it. Op is on a budget looking for an fs bike. The db and canyon are 2 of the best new options.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My SC dealer gives people good deals. Got a new hightower that lists for $4599 for $3500. I I appreciate the lifetime warranty, and I understand SC is very accomodating with warranty claims.

The warranties only apply to the original owner. Reason I wouldn't want to buy certain brands used.

mtbr member
    You dont state your desired style of riding and how tech the tracks are that you want to ride. It makes it hard to recomend a bike. The bikes listed range between 120 and 140mm of travel, 27.5 and 29" wheels. They are different beasts for different riding styles!

What would i do? I woulding buy any of them. I'd do for option 3 Second hand near new $5k bike for $2.5. It will be lighter, with better suspension and an overall better ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    A $5k bike when new doesn't always equal a better riding bike. I mean, yea if you're trying to get on a $1200 fs vs $3k, they'll probably be a significant difference in ride quality but in this case OP has a decent budget for a direct sale bike. I do agree though, looking used could expand his options if he chooses that route.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Sorry....forgot to give those specifics. I ride moderately rough trails typical for the blue ridge mountains. Most of the trails are pretty rooty with steeper sections both up and down.

Iíve perused pink bike and not entirely turned off to the idea of a used bike if itís in my area so I can check it out good.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hey man, you might want to also look into the Commencal Meta. They have the trail version and all mountain version depending on what travel range your looking for. I got the origin for $2000 and I've been loving it.

mtbr member
    Tech steep up and down. Go for longer travel. Slacker head angle for the down. Twisty tight track 27.5. straighter faster track 29. If your short 27.5, tall guy 29.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    If your looking for new I still think yt jeffsy or canyon spectral is the way to go. If used there are a ton of bikes that would fit the bill if you can get them at the right price

mtbr member
    The Cannondale Habit and the Stumjumper are both excellent bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thank you for the input guys! I've looked into the YT Jeffsy...very interesting. Any feedback on how those bikes ride? Haven't seen many reviews though the components look pretty decent for the price.

Just a quick component question in the diamondback world: The Release 3 comes with Rockshox Pike RC3/Monarch RCT3 while the Release 4c is on Fox Factory 34/Float DPS. The 4c is also running Shimano SLX M7000 vs the 3 with SRAM X1. How does that kit compare across the two bikes? (Or is it one of those potato/potato situations?)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kastevenson View Post
    Thank you for the input guys! I've looked into the YT Jeffsy...very interesting. Any feedback on how those bikes ride? Haven't seen many reviews though the components look pretty decent for the price.

Just a quick component question in the diamondback world: The Release 3 comes with Rockshox Pike RC3/Monarch RCT3 while the Release 4c is on Fox Factory 34/Float DPS. The 4c is also running Shimano SLX M7000 vs the 3 with SRAM X1. How does that kit compare across the two bikes? (Or is it one of those potato/potato situations?)
    A lot of that has to do with preferences. For example, I don't get on particularly well with Rockshox/SRAM stuff, but it works pretty well for other people. None of what you listed is bad at all, just different approaches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    A lot of that has to do with preferences. For example, I don't get on particularly well with Rockshox/SRAM stuff, but it works pretty well for other people. None of what you listed is bad at all, just different approaches.
    What he said. I've always liked the RS suspension I've had more than the Fox.

But I really like the current Shimano drive trains.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    That's totally what I suspected.

Due to stock issues and most every company being out of stock in my size until mid June, I decided to pull the trigger on what would get me on the trails next week: Diamondback Release 4c

https://www.diamondback.com/release-4c-carbon

Thanks for all of your help and ideas!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Nice, enjoy the bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kastevenson View Post
    That's totally what I suspected.

Due to stock issues and most every company being out of stock in my size until mid June, I decided to pull the trigger on what would get me on the trails next week: Diamondback Release 4c

https://www.diamondback.com/release-4c-carbon

Thanks for all of your help and ideas!
    That's a cool ride. Put it through some miles and let us know how you like it!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    That's amazing, I like it and Maybe in soon i will buy this one too!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I will buy wheels and frames separately.
    And I enjoy the feeling of this sort of selection, and I have a sense of satisfaction with the assembly.
    The Cannondale Habit Carbon 3 Bike looks like a good choice. I own a full suspension MTB with ICAN carbon Wheelset and Giant frame.