Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New Bike! (pics)

Well, I just picked it up.... a brand new '08 Felt Virtue 1. As I was just fooling around in the yard, the pedaling efficiency was instantly noticeable as there was virtually no bob, even when out of the saddle. Haven't even had a chance to ride it on the trails yet but will report back with a review of the bike as soon as I do. I am really excited about Felt's "Equilink" suspension design, seems really solid. Anyway, here are some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eat More Dirt
    that looks like a fun ride, nice stock spec too

enjoi!

MattSavage
    That's pretty badass....
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Specs...

Frame: Felt Virtue 1, 130mm Travel
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23
    Fork: RockShox Revelation 409, 130mm Travel
    Stem: Felt 6061 Al
    Handlebar: Felt 6061 Al Riser
    Saddle: Felt Facade
    Seatpost: Felt 2-bolt Micro-Adjust
    Shifters: XT
    Brakes: XT Disc (180/160)
    F/Derailleur: XT
    R/Derailleur: XT
    Crankset: XT
    Wheelset: XT 775
    Cassette: XT
    Tires: Maxxis Ignitor 2.1

Additions tomorrow: Race Face Bash Ring

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice bike man, enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    sweet bike. I'd run that front brake line on the inside of the fork though, less likely to snag on something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    very nice

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice ride and I like the way they have done the wheels with decals or is that a factory paint job anyway still great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    nice bike how does it ride.

29er Geek
    you're stoked! Nice clean looking rig!
    unityhandbuilt

nuj
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    very nice, like the color white specially

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sweet! You're going to really like it, it's a great bike. I have a Virtue 3 that I'm pretty stoked on. One bit of advice - keep an eye on the bolts holding the linkages together (especially the upper arm to the frame), I had a bad problem with mine backing out nearly every ride for the first few months, then all the sudden they stayed tight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd put the quick release on the none disc side my friend has the same fork and for some reason the QR comes loose when clamped on the disc side, not a problem on the other side, cheers nice bike.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Sweet looking bike although I would not consider that an AM bike.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeldrum26
    sweet bike. I'd run that front brake line on the inside of the fork though, less likely to snag on something.
    Don't listen to him...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone! I still havent got to take it on the trails yet due to the weather, but I should be riding by tuesday if the weather holds. Ill definately post back and let you know how it handles the trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Bnorthro
    Sweet! You're going to really like it, it's a great bike. I have a Virtue 3 that I'm pretty stoked on. One bit of advice - keep an eye on the bolts holding the linkages together (especially the upper arm to the frame), I had a bad problem with mine backing out nearly every ride for the first few months, then all the sudden they stayed tight.
    Yeah, I heard about the loosening issue and loctited all the pivot bolts so I should be good, thanks for the tip tho!

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan97
    Don't listen to him...
    And why exactly?

Brake lines are better routed inside the fork leg, less likely to snag.

Looks damn sweet, btw

loves me some carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    Sweet looking bike although I would not consider that an AM bike.
    I would if the OP considers himself an AM rider.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

wait...what?
    get some red wheels to match the frame...nice bike...

Ride the dream
    Dont wanna go TOO far on the red.
    Red spoke nipples look really good (already there), getting some ODI-style lockon grips (red collars ofc), and some red headset spacers would really accentuate the red nicely without taking the look too far and without breaking the bank either.
    If you wanted to take it just a little further than that, red crank (chainring) bolts, seatpost bolts and stem bolts would also look good - but you dont wanna take it too far.

Sure some of you will chastise me for caring how a bike looks, but having something that looks sweet AND rides sweet isn't too much of a good thing

That said, looks damn nice already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT
    Dont wanna go TOO far on the red.
    Red spoke nipples look really good (already there), getting some ODI-style lockon grips (red collars ofc), and some red headset spacers would really accentuate the red nicely without taking the look too far and without breaking the bank either.
    If you wanted to take it just a little further than that, red crank (chainring) bolts, seatpost bolts and stem bolts would also look good - but you dont wanna take it too far.

Sure some of you will chastise me for caring how a bike looks, but having something that looks sweet AND rides sweet isn't too much of a good thing

That said, looks damn nice already.
    Yeah I definately like the idea of the ODIs! Chainring bolts would be pretty sick too! Thanks for the ideas!

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseJuice71
    Yeah I definately like the idea of the ODIs! Chainring bolts would be pretty sick too! Thanks for the ideas!
    Hehe, Yw.

I got a decent amount of red "bling" on mine right now - looks good with the black parts and (BRIGHT) green paint.
    Sounds odd but looks real nice.

Red ODI collars are a really good bit of customisation - then just use your choice of grip (I like the raceface ones).
    Red headset spacers look really good too - chainring and seatpost bolts are definately something I wanna do soon too.

(Oh and those little black clips that hold hoses down always come loose for me, so red zip ties - tacky but it fits the profile )

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well, just returned from a great first ride on the Felt! The conditions were not the greatest, the area is recovering from 8.5 inches of snow that came in last weekend and it has all melted within this past week, so it made for some really muddy conditions. I rode on the rocky, rooty technical trails of New England and I am about 145 lbs. So with that info... on to the review....

The bike was AMAZING! For a 5 inch travel bike, it climbed like you wouldn't believe! This thing would give a billy goat a run for its money when the trail points up! I tested the rear suspension in a few different settings... First I turned propedal completely off and the shock wide open. Felt's Equilink suspension design shines up the hills so it still provided great efficiency and very very little bob even with the shock wide open. Next, I turned propedal to the "2" setting and the rear suspension became pretty harsh. THis setting is great for fireroads or on pavement, but when going over the bumps, I found that it performed best with the shock wide open and propedal off.

The Felt really gave that floating sensation on the flats and downhills, with 5 plush inches of travel front and rear. It was almost like the bike had a little voice that kept saying things like, "You see that drop over there, go take it. You see that jump over there, throw me off of it!" It was really confidence inspiring and I felt like I could take it off of anything and everything the trail offered.

The Rockshox Revelation is quite possibly the best fork I have ever ridden. Its super smooth and tracks the surface perfectly no matter what the conditions. The tunablility of the dual air is remarkable and allowed me to get the exact supple feel that I was looking for.

As expected the new XT stuff from shimano was top notch. Shifting was super precise and never skipped a beat, and that was in terribly muddy conditions. The XT brakes worked flawlessly and were always predictable and powerful. The XT wheels were also a pleasant surprise and seemed really stiff and strong. The XT crankset (170mm length) was a huge upgrade over my old Raceface Turbines, super stiff and provided great power transfer.

Overall, I couldnt be happier with my Felt. I had high expectations and it delivered on all fronts. I would highly recommend the Felt Virtue to anyone who is looking for a light AM bike that goes up the hills as easily as it goes down. Great bike!

GAME ON!
    that red link still befuddles me.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    I like the specs! Congrats on the new ride man!
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast