mtbr member
    May 2006

New bike! (with pics)

Hi all
    Here are some pics of my new Maverick ML7/5.
    Some of you may have read my review comparing it to the Intense 5.5 and the Yeti 575 - well this is the bike I ended up with.
    (review on Singletrackworld.com here)

Our photography skills need brushing up - this was a lovely bright day believe it or not!

Finished the first ride with just a nice layer of dust all over the bike (unusual for the Peak District here in the UK)

Bike weighs in at a gnats over 27lb which I'm happy with for the moment. I may try to lighten it when bits wear out.
    I don't really like many anodised blue colours (they often look too turquisey) so I went with black and silver stuff.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    That's bloody awesome rig mate!!!!!

mtbr member
    Lovely bike buddy, one has just arrived at my LBS I'm going to try and get a ride on. Peaks are looking nice and green too!

Nick.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Which is your local bike shop? Ride-on?

mtbr member
    Velocity bikes in Portsmouth.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's definitely worth a ride - is the Soul your only bike atm?
    I managed on my IF for 3 years, but the peaks were starting to batter me, so I've got this as well now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nice bike and great review on STW.

Two words for your photography - FILL FLASH! The camera has exposed for the bright sky behind, leaving your good self in the dark as it were
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'll try fill-in flash next time for sure - I notice they (over)use it in most of the magazines these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thingswelike
    I'll try fill-in flash next time for sure - I notice they (over)use it in most of the magazines these days.
    Your alternatives to fill flash are:-

spot meter on the rider (usually off their face)
    point the camera at the ground first with no sky in frame and lock the metering
    use exposure compensation eg. +1 or 2 stops

All the above will probably blow the sky out if it's bright, but at least the rider will be exposed better. Fill flash avoids this issue, which is why the pros use it all the time.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sweet ride! When you're riding seated, does it feel like the whole bike is in front of you? With that extreme sweep of the down tube it kind of looks like the bike's always going downhill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Or you can just use Photoshop! I spent about 2 seconds on this one, but you'll get much better results working on the high res originals.

new_bike_1_adj.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi uktrailmonster
    I'd already used photoshop extensively - here's the original off the camera (shrunk).
    I think most of the problem is that we'd prefocussed (half depressed the button) before so that when I cycled past the camera responded quickly enough.
    It can be slow when you need an instant shot.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hardway
    Actually it feels the most natural to ride out of all the bikes I tested. - Maybe it just appeals to hardtail users.
    To be honest I thought the forks would seem big while riding but I've descovered I don't really look at the bike at all!

I'm very medium in height and leg, so the saddle position is dead on, but some have to slide the saddle far fore or aft to make the Maverick fit.

I like to ride my bike.
    That last shot should be in a Maverick ad or at least in Dirt Rag's "Rider's Eye." That is one cool bike, my friend has the 4inch Maverick, the ML7 or whatever and he climbs everything - almost literally.

-Can I have it? Please...I'll be your friend...a couple thousand miles away...
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Sweet bike man. And the photos look fine to me. It sure beats the heck out of those fresh-out-of-the-box-propped-up-against-the-sofa photos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What you want next is a Gravity Dropper post so you can get that seat out of the way on those steep descents.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yep, the Maverick Speedball is on the list, but I wasn't sure about adding 200 or so grams to the weight - I only weigh 130 lbs so it all counts!
    I did always want a hite-rite back in the day though

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yep, the Maverick Speedball is on the list, but I wasn't sure about adding 200 or so grams to the weight - I only weigh 130 lbs so it all counts!
    I did always want a hite-rite back in the day though
    Looking at your pics, I'd say the weight penalty will be well worth it. I've been using a GD for just under a year now and I honestly couldn't live without it now. It's not the prettiest thing (especially compared to the Thomson I had before) but it's functional and definitely staying on the bike!

The Mav Speedball looks nicer, but I much prefer having a bar mounted switch. It's just like changing gear - goes up and down at the flick of a switch with no loss of mometum

mtbr member
    It's definitely worth a ride - is the Soul your only bike atm?
    I managed on my IF for 3 years, but the peaks were starting to batter me, so I've got this as well now.
    No I have a tomac Eli FS as well but I prefer riding this new hardtail, I just find it more fun. Anyway glad you're enjoying your new bike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yep - 3 rides in now (one muddy ) and it's going well.
    I'll be going up to Grizedale with it this weekend and then over to Wales soon.
    Should be great fun.