Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

New bike next year

So I'm new to the mtb world, currently have a 14` norco storm 9.1 and loving it immensely.

Researching now for a hopeful new bike purchase around march/April next year once I have a couple of things paid off which would allow for new certegy app on a new bike

The area I ride is alot of climbing. Alot of single track. Rocks, roots and twisties, also hardpack. Has most of everything as well as firetrails connecting everything and as you can imagine on the entry level hard tail I'm having the bejesus flogged out of me. (still loving it)

Wanting to stick with the norco range, I've got in my sights: The Range and Sight (see what I did there)

The Norco Range A7.1 or Sight A7.1

The bike shop who I plan on buying it from had said the Range is going to be alot heavier and a bit more of a pig but able to take anything I throw at it. Where as the Sight is super capable all rounder.

They have a 2014 Sight in stock at $1000 off retail down form 3600aud to 2500aud. But looking at 14-15 the 15 seems to have a few more features for the rrp, dropper post etc. Where as the range had the Pike fork which from what I've researched is awesome.

Im able to afford up to the 3500 mark, although if I can find something similar for less money I won't complain.

I'm a newbie but wanting to buy something that will last me a few years of good fun. And I've gotta have all the facts so I can figure out a strategy to convince the missus a need a bike that costs more than my first car...

Thanks very much in advance, very open to other suggestions of other bikes. The bike shop who I plan on buying from do norco, lapierre and merida.

Im a short guy as well at around 165cm and 73kg and I live in Australia.

mtbr member
    Both are great bikes, and you've already got a good sense of the tradeoffs between the two.

Get a dropper post if you can; having the seat out of your way for descending is key to getting good body position.

March/April is a long way off. I can feel your pain; right now I'm trying to save up for a new ride and it's agonizing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    From Bike Radar-
    Just like the Range, the 2015 Sight continues with the same carbon platform as last year's, but there’s a new alloy version that receives increased stand-over height, stealth dropper post compatibility and integrated rubber chainstay protectors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    March/April is a long way off. I can feel your pain; right now I'm trying to save up for a new ride and it's agonizing.
    I shouldn't be impatient being I've only just gotten a bike but as anyone who desires something it's hard not to!

I think I could benefit from a a full sus bike. One key of wanting to spend longer out there without being worn out quickly

We have this thing called Certegy ezipay in Aus, where's it's an interest free loan type thing. Pay 10% deposit. Choose your term 12/18/24mths and all you get charged is monthly account keeping fees plus the fortnightly payments of the bike.

Works well I've done it with my current bike and and engagement ring. So that's where I got my affordability of 3500 based off payments i could afford. I just have to finish my current certagys before I do another Haha. Time for some extra payments!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    From Bike Radar-
    Just like the Range, the 2015 Sight continues with the same carbon platform as last year's, but there’s a new alloy version that receives increased stand-over height, stealth dropper post compatibility and integrated rubber chainstay protectors.
    I did read the 15 got a few extra features offer the 14. Perhaps it's worth waiting for these and paying extra up front.? I noticed they changed from a fox evolution 32 to a rockshox revelation rl. Not sure whether that's a step up? I think the carbon is the only one to get the pike

%$#$*!
    Why not buy the '14 and with the money saved buy a 140mm pike? Sell the fox 32 and get a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've got to put a large part of the buying process of convincing the missus. And she wouldn't understand why u just bought a 2500 buck bike and now want to spend a grand on upgrades. It just wouldn't fly. I'd rather just do the one purchase and select the better bike even if it is more expensive to begin with.

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinc View Post
    I've got to put a large part of the buying process of convincing the missus. And she wouldn't understand why u just bought a 2500 buck bike and now want to spend a grand on upgrades. It just wouldn't fly. I'd rather just do the one purchase and select the better bike even if it is more expensive to begin with.
    You could always ask the bike shop to do this for you. It might be a little more than if you sold the parts and purchased aftermarket but it would help you get around your situation. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to ask them how much to switch out the forks. It should be under $3500. You can find Pikes here in the U.S. for around $650-700 new if you know where to look.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yer I Spose that could be an option. Might get me on a red bike instead of fluro yellow too Haha. When it gets closer to a viable option I will see if they still have the bike in stock and get a price for the bike with a pike fitted and that way I can flog off the fox for the dropper like you said. Nice thinking!

mtbr member
    if you want a bike that can go ANYWHERE...

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sight for sure. Range is a lot of bike and I don't think it'd be fun on flat and less steep trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yer I Spose that could be an option. Might get me on a red bike instead of fluro yellow too Haha. When it gets closer to a viable option I will see if they still have the bike in stock and get a price for the bike with a pike fitted and that way I can flog off the fox for the dropper like you said. Nice thinking!
    Start the negotiations, usually with a manager. Swapping parts for credit is what you may want to roll everything into the ezipay. Start by figuring a '15 at 20 off list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yes, the Sight is extremely capable with a larger fork it can descent very nearly as good as the Range, but pedals a heck of a lot better. Put a Pike 150 or 160 with travel adjust, and you've got a bike that can do everything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yer sweet.
    Question. How come I never see any norcos out on the trail? Giants, Specialized, trek, merida, lapierre even. Never see another norco and they seem super capable for their price. Are people scared of them or something?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    If I do decide to just go the stock standard 15' model if I can't manage to get a pike swap out. The 140mm revelation will still be a good for won't it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm a bit put off by the reviews on the fox 32. On the 14` model. A few reviews don't rate it as high as the 15` model. I notice the frame is different on the new bike as well.

mtbr member
    ...I'm having the bejesus flogged out of me. (still loving it)
    Great attitude right there! Agreed full suspension is the way to go, but take your time if you can resist the temptation. Hardtails teach you to be a smooth, fluid rider and you learn to pick smooth lines more quickly and efficiently. The lessons you learn regarsing body english are invaluable on a hardtail and the faster you get, the more zen. The longer you wait it out on the hardtail, the bigger the reward when you go full suspension. Sure, in a few years it wont matter if you switched earlier rather than later, but I think you'll learn faster if you stick it out on the hardtail.

I rode singlespeed hardtail for the majority of the last 12 or 13 years primarily because I was a poor high school/college student and was on a budget. I got seriously thrashed in San Luis Obispo, CA rock gardens and couldn't be happier with the results. Flow is king. It will make you faster. I've had people comment about trailing me, and losing ground when both of us are coasting downhill with no brakes through roots/rock gardens. I attribute that directly to my experience on a hardtail and learning to ride smooth, choosing good lines and to pump/hop/unweight. You made a great decision with your first bike.

mtbr member
    more to the point, watch this guy. Awesome technique. All the slow motion shots, his bike is all over the place but his head looks like it's floating down the trail completely detached. Granted his trails might be smoother than yours but all the same: hardtails teach mad skills.

Video: No Place Like Home - Local Spots - Pinkbike

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yer sweet.
    Question. How come I never see any norcos out on the trail? Giants, Specialized, trek, merida, lapierre even. Never see another norco and they seem super capable for their price. Are people scared of them or something?
    Well Norco is a Canadian company and are quite popular where I live. My friend rides a alloy Range and it's a good bike. I see quite a few Sights and Ranges on our local trails and they have a pretty good rep.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    more to the point, watch this guy. Awesome technique. All the slow motion shots, his bike is all over the place but his head looks like it's floating down the trail completely detached. Granted his trails might be smoother than yours but all the same: hardtails teach mad skills.

Video: No Place Like Home - Local Spots - Pinkbike
    Thanks a bunch for your comments! Will watch the vid when I've got a few minutes spare at work today!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Well Norco is a Canadian company and are quite popular where I live. My friend rides a alloy Range and it's a good bike. I see quite a few Sights and Ranges on our local trails and they have a pretty good rep.
    Maybe it's just where I live. Gold Coast Aus. There is a very large Specialized scene here for some reason.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Great video! I see what you mean, its like he is floating around the bike. Ive got to constantly remind myself to stop being so stiff when riding. i rode motorbikes as a kid and a road bike for a few years as an adult and it feels like a completely different experience riding mtb. actually steering into corners and using your body to take hits instead of the bike. its so different to learn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    This bike researching will be the death of me... Found a few 2014 carbon 7.2s going for around 300 less than a 15' alloy 7.1. Looks sort of similar specs. Too much to research! So many possibilities... Ahhhhhh....

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So i think ive got it down to around 4 different bikes. Luckily, the shop i intend on purchasing it from is having a demo day 10th of Jan when they move into their new shop and will have reps from Norco, Lapierre, Merida etc on hand, as well as a bunch of bikes to play with which im sure will make my decision even harder. sigh...

Down to:
    Norco Sight and Range A7.1's
    and their direct counterparts:
    Lapierre Zesty AM 327 and Spicy 327

sight and zesty - 140mm bikes
    spicy and range 160mm bikes

The range is looking best bang for buck at the moment with Pike RC Solo up front and a mixture of Deore and SLX gear. Sight is similar with the Revelation RL and and Deore/SLX gear as well

Where as the Lapierre's seem to have a bit of XT gear on board. Im not sure whether the Fox 32 and 34 are as good as the rev and pike? they are also 500-800 bucks more expensive for a similar performing bike.

All have Deore brakes, all 650bs, all 2x10s. Spose it comes down to how they feel when i give them a whirl. Ive directed thinking to a 160 travel bike because after exploring a bit more where i ride ive found some quite rough terrain and some downhill tracks which i wouldnt mind having a flog on which led me to think the 160mm bike might handle a bit better, but then wonder if it will be a lug of a bike for the rest of my time riding. Anyway. Will update this thread next year when ive test rode the bikes in question.

Cheers for input

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This bike researching will be the death of me... Found a few 2014 carbon 7.2s going for around 300 less than a 15' alloy 7.1. Looks sort of similar specs. Too much to research! So many possibilities... Ahhhhhh....
    The 2015 carbon didn't get the changes of the aluminum bikes, just some components. If you like the ride go for a 2014 carbon, but with a demo coming up it might be a good move to lock one of those up earlier.
    Norco Bicycles 2015 - Sight, Range and more - BikeRadar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast