mtbr member

New bike...hard to choose!

Hey everyone.

I am pretty set on getting a job this coming summer in order to afford a new bike! I am starting to get a bit confused as to what to get, though, and I could use any valuable input. I had pretty much narrowed it down to a Kona Cadabra (or Abra Cadabra, which ever I could afford). I really like the look of the Magic Link and all that, but it looks like a complicated design, and to me, complicated = points of failure and lots of maintenance. The benefits of the Magic Link, I figured, would outweigh this potential risk. Then ('twas a miracle) the Diamondback Mission series started calling my name...and I love the look of the Knucklebox. From what I've heard, it is incredibly simple, reliable, and strong. And I've also heard that it climbs like a champ (which was my main concern).

So, to get to the point, which bike is the better, more reliable bicycle? Are there any durability issues with the Magic Link? Am I overthinking this??? Haha, sorry about all the questions, by the way. I'm getting into biking for real now that I'm on my own, and I'd never been all that serious about it throughout highschool. Also, are the bikes comparably priced?

Any information at all (even suggestions for other bicycles) is much appreciated! I just need a bit of help getting through this foggy decision-making phase. And by the way, I live in the Southwest, which gives me access to desert and mountains, so I ride what I would call a combination of AM and XC...it depends on the day, really. Thanks!

Brennan

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have no experience with either bikes you mention. However, when it comes to non-traditional suspension designs like the Magic Link, I tend to be skeptical. If I were making a decision between the two solely based on suspension design ON PAPER, I'd go with Diamondback.

I've also heard that Kona had some issues with the first generation of the magic link being really flexy. They might have fixed that but it just goes to support my above comments.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If I were you, I would ride them both and then make my decision if that's possible. I was just at a bike shop a couple weeks ago and was talking with a worker there who demoed the magic link and was really impressed.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I'd have to agree with you, mnigro. Based solely on the nature of the design, I'm more inclined to go with the Diamondback.

Pelts, that's what I plan on doing. I took an Abra Cadabra out for a very short spin in the bike shop parking lot, last weekend. I liked the feel of it a lot, but I need to take them up on the offer to rent it for a day and actually ride it on a trail. I also need to find a LBS that actually carried Diamondback...

Thanks for the advice, guys.

T.W.O.
    If you are looking for the Mission there's a deal at Taylors bike shop, new in box 08 mission for $800. The shop may be in New York though. At least you have something to compare the price to. ordered new bike yesterday! you can always call them and find out if they'd ship it.

usually cranky
    ive heard magic link bikes are flexier than wet noodles.

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys. I'll take those points into consideration! And thanks for the link mimi! I'll check them out when I actually get some cash....and I find it funny how quickly that thread went awry, hahaha.