Thread: New bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

New bike?

So I've been looking for a new bike, and am not sure which to go with. I have considered a few bikes, but there is never an opportunity to test ride a bike around here. I was looking at the Kona Coilair and the Trek Remedy. I also considered a few others mountain bikes.

Any suggestions as to which of those I should best look into, or other bikes as well are appreciated.

I am 5'11" 145lbs, I ride pretty aggressively, mostly all mountain. I need the bike to be able to handle drops about 6'. Thanks for anyone's input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is there a way to edit posts?

As an edit to the last post: I am fine with a hardtail, and price is not an issue.

I found the edit button. Is there a delete button?

mtbr member
    You can go to the reviews section on this site and pretty much go just go down the list selecting bikes with 5 to 7 inches of rear travel. Then pick one that you like the most. It should have a fork with a through axle, a sturdy wheelset and weight under 40lb.

There will be a rush of people offering the latest fads for you consideration (like some fancy carbon frames, or triple-optimized mumbo jumbo linkages). You can safely ignore them.

Personally, if I did not care about money at all, I would have picked up some Knolly Delirium or Epinephine, Versus Blitz, Yeti 575 or 7, or some Ventana like X5 or La Bruja. If I did not care about time either I would have ordered a custom steel frame with Ventana rear from some builder like Waltworks or Curtlo or Sycip. I would pick Wotan or Thor front fork. Since I budgeted a bit I am perfectly happy with my current Kona Coiler with Wotan for AM duties. I will think about getting a 4" FS 29r for longer ride next summer.