Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111

    New to AM and Trail Bikes

    Just purchased a Transition Covert V2 off a friend. I primarly ride downhill so that's where most of my knowledge is. I don't know much about front deraileurs or AM type cassettes or gearing. I have a couple questions. To get the bike to where i'd like to have it, I'm going to be changing out some parts. First lets talk cassettes: what do you guys like to run? i was looking at the sram pg 990. Any good? Secondly lets talk cranksets: Im torn between two, the race face atlas AM cranks or the Shimano SLX cranks. I've heard great things about the slx cranks. Im planning on running a dual ring set up with bash in the front. Anyone have an experience with either of these cranksets? good? bad? Then i guess comes the issue of front deraileurs. Im not trying to spend tons of money switching things up. Thinking about upgrading to x9 all around and ditching the x7 or whatever is on there now (already have a rear deraileur and shifter, just need a front shifter and front deraileur). Any adivce on which front deraileur to get? Thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to get out and shred on her.

  2. #2
    Frequent Crasher
    Reputation: SuperBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    516
    The PG990 should be fine for you. I actually just purchased another one of those to replace a much heavier SRAM cassette that came on my Cannondale Moto. I have a set of Atlas AM cranks and they are quite new, shift well, don't flex, even when I was 240# [not anymore ], nice and blingy too. I think you are going to be able to pick up a SLX crank for much less $ than you can get the RF crank. I haven't ridden the SLX, but have tons of time on XT and LX cranks, and I would guess you will be fine either way. I think the X7 RD is fine, but would spring for X9 or X0 shifters. I think that is where the money is best spent. The FD is a toss up, I would get either Shimano or SRAM it doesn't seem to matter that much. There is an SLX that is 2 ring specific and I have had good results with it.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111
    Thanks for the help. I think im going to go with the SLX as far as cranks go. I will definetly go the X9 shifter route. i'll try and find that slx FD sounds like good one to try out. thanks for your help. Do you run wide bars on your AM rig? I'm used to super wide DH bars narrow bars are so odd and feel weird to me now

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lew242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    497
    Loads of AM riders just run 50mm stems with 750mm bars, same as DH guys these days.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardboiled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    466
    the pg 990 cassette is solid, shifts well and it's about the same weight as XT and usually cheaper. I love shimano cranks and am currently running SLX. they're cheap, easy to work on, reasonably light weight and mine are holding up to a good amount of abuse. get the dual ring specific version which come with steel pedal inserts and a 36/22 chainring combo. the included bash is a bit on the heavy side but functional. I haven't good luck with SRAM front derailleurs, I'd go with the SLX dual ring specific FD. I happen to have a brand new one gathering dust in my parts bin if you're interested (I run 1x9 on all my bikes now). I run 29.5" bars on my trailbike.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111
    Seems like Shimano is the way to go on FD's. I believe it already has the SLX dual ring shifter on it. So i guess that settles that haha. That was my plan get a straitline 50mm stem and some chromag fubars osx wide bars.

  7. #7
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,021
    The Coverts are sweet looking rides!

    Save yourself the trouble (and weight, if you're into that sort of thing) and run single ring up front. You will never be the slowest on the long, miserable, endless climbs if your buddy has a granny ring and you don't.

    I won't lecture you on the virtues of a chain guide since you're coming from the gravity scene.

    As far as bars, on my big bike I have 40mm stem and 31" Atlas bars. However around here a lot of the singletrack has some brutal choke points so I'm running a 28" RaceFace Respond bar with a 70mm stem.

    If you're in a place without too many trees to worry about, I would definitely say rock the wide bars you're used to. Wider bars helps spread your shoulders, open your chest cavity and allow your lungs to do their job properly. WAHOO!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,215
    Quote Originally Posted by drvidanes View Post
    hi,


    thanks.
    LOL Wow. So transparent.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    LOL Wow. So transparent.
    I know, right? Seriously???

  10. #10
    I got the velcros
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    249
    Jackass

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,215
    First of all it's ridesolstice.com. Since you didn't get the URL right and you joined in 2010, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not a shill. I think a shill would at least get their own website correct. However, when you have only 3 posts and 2 of them are about the solstice, it looks sketchy. We've all seen similar posts before.

    Secondly, while I'd love to support a new Colorado-based company, those bikes look like they were hit with the ugly stick. Also, any bike that has to use a fabricated shock guard to protect the shock is not a good design. That shock will just get all kinds of junk/dirt/debris/mud thrown all over it from the rear tire.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 09-07-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    The Coverts are sweet looking rides!

    Save yourself the trouble (and weight, if you're into that sort of thing) and run single ring up front. You will never be the slowest on the long, miserable, endless climbs if your buddy has a granny ring and you don't.

    I won't lecture you on the virtues of a chain guide since you're coming from the gravity scene.

    As far as bars, on my big bike I have 40mm stem and 31" Atlas bars. However around here a lot of the singletrack has some brutal choke points so I'm running a 28" RaceFace Respond bar with a 70mm stem.

    If you're in a place without too many trees to worry about, I would definitely say rock the wide bars you're used to. Wider bars helps spread your shoulders, open your chest cavity and allow your lungs to do their job properly. WAHOO!!
    I've been thinking about this.... If i was to go the single ring route what size would you go with 36 or 38T? Or something else entirely...

    As far as the bars going to rock wides for sure. May cut them down a tad from the DH rig but still keep em wide. Most of the stuff i'll ride on this bike aren't too narrow so i don't think it'll be that big of an issue.

  13. #13
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by KrankedDH View Post
    I've been thinking about this.... If i was to go the single ring route what size would you go with 36 or 38T? Or something else entirely...

    As far as the bars going to rock wides for sure. May cut them down a tad from the DH rig but still keep em wide. Most of the stuff i'll ride on this bike aren't too narrow so i don't think it'll be that big of an issue.

    I have an 11-32 cassette and a 32 ring in front. May seem small, but that allows for plenty of clearance. Makes it a lot easier to get over logs, up ledge-ups, and it really allows me to roll nasty chunky stuff that other guys have to drop or go around. I'd say just make sure you have a 1:1 gear ratio somewhere your range.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    I have an 11-32 cassette and a 32 ring in front. May seem small, but that allows for plenty of clearance. Makes it a lot easier to get over logs, up ledge-ups, and it really allows me to roll nasty chunky stuff that other guys have to drop or go around. I'd say just make sure you have a 1:1 gear ratio somewhere your range.
    I just ordered a 11-32 pg 990 so im good there. May have to play around with your set up. 32 does seem awful small. I run a 34 on my DH bike so i guess it wont be that big of change. I think i have extra 34T laying around. May throw that on and see how it feels.

    With your set up do you have issues on climbs at all?

  15. #15
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by KrankedDH View Post
    With your set up do you have issues on climbs at all?

    No problems climbing really. For me any gear ratio under a 1:1 ends up in lurchy, inconsistent pedal strokes and thus loss of traction and/or picking up the front end.

    You may have instances where you wish you had a little ring, but you end up mashing up the hill and feeling more manly than you would otherwise and that makes up for it.

Similar Threads

  1. Getting bikes on the Ice Age Trail
    By FishMan473 in forum Minnesota, Wisconsin
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 07:28 AM
  2. Trail vs XC bikes
    By sxmatt in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 03:52 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 04:26 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 09:53 AM
  5. 4x/trail bikes ??
    By fiddy_ryder in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-19-2006, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •