Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456

    New AM hardtail candidate, Production Privee Shan.

    konahonzo

  2. #2
    Michigan Wolverine
    Reputation: RaptorTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    303
    Very cool looking, especially in the macaw color. Looks like another one to add to my spreadsheet of all mountain hardtails for future buys.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ktse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    395
    wow, that's a beautiful hardtail.

    It's all in the details; Chainstays are designed to flex vertically for a bit of compliance, dropout design looks solid, and the top tube gusset that connects to the seat tube... nice. Want one!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ride the biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    936
    its glorious!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joel RW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    310
    saw this earlier euro...... I want one, maybe even more than a trans am :P
    Pivot mach 6!

  6. #6
    Dinner for wolves
    Reputation: buddhak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,557
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    ...especially in the macaw color.
    Awesome. Nailed it. 'Tis a fine looking bike, indeed.
    Responds to gravity

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/54099656?badge=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/54099656">SHAN 917</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1626346">Dams Nosella</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

    Production Privee Shan - Tested - Pinkbike
    konahonzo

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/54099656?badge=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/54099656">SHAN 917</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1626346">Dams Nosella</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

    Production Privee Shan - Tested - Pinkbike
    Oh. My. God.
    Awesome vid!
    Awesome bike, love the 917/ Le Mans tribute.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    146
    I saw this on pinkbike, definitely caught my eye. Any idea if it will be distributed in the US?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,889
    I want this bike! But, would have to give up getting a Banshee Rune V2 at cost ($585 w/out shock) to replace my current AM rig. Wish I could have both (the V2 and Shan), can only build one up. This rig actually is one of the only HT's out there that look apealing to me and can see myself riding something like this. Thanks for posting, dig it!
    Ride On!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I want this bike! But, would have to give up getting a Banshee Rune V2 at cost ($585 w/out shock) to replace my current AM rig. Wish I could have both (the V2 and Shan), can only build one up. This rig actually is one of the only HT's out there that look apealing to me and can see myself riding something like this. Thanks for posting, dig it!
    Definitely, although it's shame the only stock color now looks so dreadful compared to the sweet red/white off PB or the Gulf racing inspired one from the vid.
    konahonzo

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12
    good looking frame.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    305
    on PB it seemed like this bike was going to be a pretty steep price.

  14. #14
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,824
    Price on the steep side for no-name steel. Quality of tubing makes a lot of difference for steel, IMHO. YMMV.

    Craftmanship is very nice, though. A nice frame overall.
    Check my Site

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    on PB it seemed like this bike was going to be a pretty steep price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Price on the steep side for no-name steel. Quality of tubing makes a lot of difference for steel, IMHO. YMMV.

    Craftmanship is very nice, though. A nice frame overall.
    MSRP 649.00 €, roughly $850

    In comparison, 2013 Transition TransAM is $650, and I imagine both are in the league of fit, finish, and tubing of an On-One 456 EVO that you can buy for under $300.

    But it's definitely the best looking 26er AMHT that I've seen, especially with the new limited edition colors available on their website. But if I'm spending over $800 on a 26er frame, it's definitely going to be a Chromag.
    konahonzo

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    MSRP 649.00 €, roughly $850

    In comparison, 2013 Transition TransAM is $650, and I imagine both are in the league of fit, finish, and tubing of an On-One 456 EVO that you can buy for under $300.

    But it's definitely the best looking 26er AMHT that I've seen, especially with the new limited edition colors available on their website. But if I'm spending over $800 on a 26er frame, it's definitely going to be a Chromag.

    i totally agree, i'd go chromag at that price. it does have nice lines, but the larger sizes look weird, the xl looks ridiculous

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    Nice bike!

  18. #18
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    853
    This bike's replaceable dropouts are a nice selling feature over the Chromag. Those guys don't really seem to be on board with the one gear thing.

    I'd like a good look at it's tire clearance. You can fit a moto tire in a Stylus.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    i totally agree, i'd go chromag at that price. it does have nice lines, but the larger sizes look weird, the xl looks ridiculous
    Which 26er XL doesn't look weird?

    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    This bike's replaceable dropouts are a nice selling feature over the Chromag. Those guys don't really seem to be on board with the one gear thing.

    I'd like a good look at it's tire clearance. You can fit a moto tire in a Stylus.
    Here's some clearance shots with Panaracer CG 2.35 tires.




    Chromag is offering now replaceable dropouts on the higher end frames right now, I know the next Surface 29er production run and Samurai 650B will be seeing them.


    Last edited by eurospek; 11-26-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    konahonzo

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Which 26er XL doesn't look weird?
    the shan looks extra ridiculous. they keep the same tt height from bb just lengthen the seat tube and the brace.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,651
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    the shan looks extra ridiculous. they keep the same tt height from bb just lengthen the seat tube and the brace.
    That's how all XL hardtails should be made, on too many frames the top tube is somewhere in the sky, it positively dangerous. If you've never experienced a top tube straddle then I envy you, also, ride more rocky terrain!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    That's how all XL hardtails should be made, on too many frames the top tube is somewhere in the sky, it positively dangerous. If you've never experienced a top tube straddle then I envy you, also, ride more rocky terrain!
    tope tube angle on an xl matching a small frame is a little excessive imho. i enjoy clearance but on the shan, it's a little extreme.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    Any pics of the XL?
    konahonzo

  24. #24
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    'can't see the side blocks clearance, but the lack of a sea tstay bridge suggests 650B might fit in there
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Any pics of the XL?
    couldnt find any. i did see a shot somewhere, just can't remember where

  26. #26
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Wow, sexy steel
    All the color options look good
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's going on there at the BB? That's the first I've seen of the BB shell sticking that far out from the ISCG mount (sorry, I can't seem to download the photo from the PP website).
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Wow, sexy steel
    All the color options look good
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's going on there at the BB. That's the first I've seen of the BB shell sticking that far out from the ISCG mount (sorry, I can't seem to download the photo from the PP website).
    it uses a press fit bb. 92mm wide i believe

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Any pics of the XL?

    The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.


  29. #29
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    it uses a press fit bb. 92mm wide i believe
    Oh I see... Thanks!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: voodoo5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    157

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    Thanks for posting, definitely looks extreme. The 2Souls QH/Slim Jim 29er frame is the same way too.

    The only worrying thing would be not enough seat post inserted into the ST to go past the TT junction. If you're a bigger guy like myself that would be the first point of failure like one of my previous frames.
    konahonzo

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Thanks for posting, definitely looks extreme. The 2Souls QH/Slim Jim 29er frame is the same way too.

    The only worrying thing would be not enough seat post inserted into the ST to go past the TT junction. If you're a bigger guy like myself that would be the first point of failure like one of my previous frames.
    for sure there'd be a lot of stress at that junction besides it looking a bit off visually as well imho.

    i do love the looks of the smaller frames and the geometry numbers, but for the price and with it having a press fit bb as well as integral headset, that's too many things i don't want in a frame.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,456
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    for sure there'd be a lot of stress at that junction besides it looking a bit off visually as well imho.

    i do love the looks of the smaller frames and the geometry numbers, but for the price and with it having a press fit bb as well as integral headset, that's too many things i don't want in a frame.
    Oh that was a pain trying to find a none TBC headset for the Transition as it used 45/45 Campy stule, everything I was finding was 36/45. And I'll take an external threaded BB any day over all the new standards these days.
    konahonzo

  34. #34
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Oh that was a pain trying to find a none TBC headset for the Transition as it used 45/45 Campy stule, everything I was finding was 36/45. And I'll take an external threaded BB any day over all the new standards these days.
    Agreed. It is nice to just be able to drop the headset right in on my transAM, without needed to be pressed. I really can't believe they would put a press fit BB on there. I remove and clean/lube my BB atleast once a month. This would be such a PITA.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    924
    The word 'refined' comes to mind when looking at this bike. I'm curious about the chainstays & how they're shaped for flex- is that soemthing the rider would ever notice? I have an Evil Sovereign so not in the market for a new hardtail but if I were, I'd consider the P.S. (or a Chromag). Though 150mm is 10mm more than I really need.

    I just looked at their website, the Dukes of Hazard paintjob is pretty cool!
    Last edited by bitewerks; 11-27-2012 at 04:22 PM.

  36. #36
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    Good looking frame.

  37. #37
    bike addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    207
    Vented headtube kinda gimmicky and lets in water/dirt, no bottle cage mounts = lame.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13
    i like this...

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    Vented headtube kinda gimmicky and lets in water/dirt, no bottle cage mounts = lame.
    I don't think I'd like the vented ht- really dusty in TX. Water isn't really a problem as I don't ride in rain & rarely wash my bike but lots n' lots of very fine dust.

  40. #40
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,667
    Aesthetically it's gorgeous looking, but at that price-point...tough sell.

    For a good bit less you can get a TransAM (which yes, i know, is heavier on paper at least) or quite a few other similar frames with similar features and weights, and put the extra dough into fork/wheels/etc. Or spend a bit more and get a more refined Chromag or a custom frame with less heft.

    All that said, more options are good, and it is a sweet looking frame!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •