Thread: Need an xc bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Need an xc bike

Guys,

I have been riding mostly DH the last 5-7 years and my trail bike is an 08 Giant Reign X. My girlfriend and her dad are crazy good athletes and amazing climbers and I need something light, preferably in the 25-27lb range in order to keep up with them on the local mellow trails here in Southern California. Maximum of 5" of travel but I think I can get away with less.

Any thoughts on a good xc bike that is light but will still handle okay going down hill? Would like to spend $3,000 or less.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Specialized Camber?

skaterqwertyuiop
    haha, with your budget you could get any bike you want. Sorry, the most I've spent on my XC bike is like $500. My AM/FR bike is a whole nutha story. I have no experience with crazy high end XC bikes.
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit21 View Post
    Guys,

I have been riding mostly DH the last 5-7 years and my trail bike is an 08 Giant Reign X. My girlfriend and her dad are crazy good athletes and amazing climbers and I need something light, preferably in the 25-27lb range in order to keep up with them on the local mellow trails here in Southern California. Maximum of 5" of travel but I think I can get away with less.

Any thoughts on a good xc bike that is light but will still handle okay going down hill? Would like to spend $3,000 or less.
    Dude, buy my bike on ebay! If you don't keep up with them on this, you won't keep up with them It's a hardtail though...PM me if you're interested. 2011 Trek Superfly Elite 19inch.

But if you're looking full suspension XC'ish bike, a Fuel EX might be good for you. I just got one myself and it's a sick bike. 5 inch travel, solid, but light and speedy enough to keep up with my XC buddies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For Socal I think a light 29er hardtail would fit the bill.
    I have one as my second bike and it flat out rips for Socal fastness. It is amazing what it can roll over. While I prefer 26" wheels on my main full susser, on a hardtail the 29" wheels work really well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you're not open to a HT, can always go with a used Motolite frame and build it up really light. Could also look at a used SC Blur XC. Another option would be the Trance, especially if you like your Reign. I Mention used frames because if you're looking to go superlight, the parts are gonna cost you. Although, that is another option, SC superlight. Id still stick with something in the 69 deg HTA or it'll feel really steep based on what you're used to.

mtbr member
    You have a DH bike and what I believe is a 6" travel bike (Reign X)? Personally, I think the 5 inch bike will be too similar to the 6" bike. I would look at a 4" 29er; possible the Anthem X 29er since you already have a Giant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    trance x or anthem x

mtbr member
    Specialized Epic 29er - pure XC race/marathon bike. Great ride. Fantastic trail bike. Brain suspension.
    Specialized Camber 29er - more trail orientated. Also a great bike. Fox suspension for 2012.

mtbr member
    Start running and get yourself in shape first, then buy a good XC-bike like an Anthem X
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

I'm with stupid
    Get a HT 29er, that should help you keep up. Come on you know you want to drink the koolaid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    cdale rush with handle anything you throw at it and ride like a champ all day long.
    $1500-1800 will get you one with great equip and a lefty.