mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Need some new flat petals and looking for some opinions

I've had the Wellgo MG-1 pedals for a while and when I bought my Stumpy FSR about a year ago I swapped them over from my old bike. Now I'd like to put the MG-1s back on my old bike to have it available for when I hit the trails with friends without bikes, and I'd also like a pedal with a lower profile than the MG-1s. It my just be all in my head but I rode a bike with lower profile pedals recently and I liked the feel. After looking around a little I think I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 options. As stupid as I know it is I'm also trying to keep with the color scheme of my bike as after I get it set up it's going to be ridden that way for quite a while. I've narrowed the options down to-

1. The Nukeproof Neutron- The pedal is affordable, has a cupped shape for my foot, but it doesn't look like it has too many pins for grip. This is the one I've been leaning towards but upon comparing them to other pedals they look like they may not have as much grip as others out there. That being said they are significantly cheaper than the others I'm looking at.

2. Race Face Atlas- I just found out about these pedals today and I'd say they're the least likely option. From what I can tell they're as expensive as E13s pedals but with fewer pins for grip and less adjustability. They do look like they have a nice wide platform. I've been impressed with the Race Face products I already own and love the quality of my Atlas stem which is really the only reason they're in the running.

3. E13 LG1+\ LG1R- I've looked at E13s pedals for a while, problem is they're really, really expensive for a pedal. They got great reviews from Pinkbike and I like the idea of being able to adjust how they spin, that's one aspect I see as very useful. I just don't know if I want to spend a lot on something that's going to be bashed on rocks and roots on a frequent basis. Other than the price they're everything I want. If someone here tells me they're absolutely worth the extra scratch it may be all the encouragement I need to order a set.

Any input on what pedals I should pick up or anything to potentially add to the list? I'm probably over thinking things but as it's possibly the most important point of contact between rider and bike and I'll have these for a long while I want to be sure about what I'm buying.

mtbr member
    Seen the new pedals review articles on MTBR yet?

mtbr member
    I just ordered some Spank Spike pedals. They have received good reviews and I got a good deal from Art's Cyclery. I will let you know how I like them.

Review: Spank Spike Flat Pedals | Mountain Bike Review

Shootout: Seven Flat Pedals Go Pin to Pin | News | mountain-bike-action
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    I have the Shimano Saint pedals and really like them. Strong and durable and have adjustable pins so you can dial in grip. Affordable too compared to many other high end pedals.

mtbr member

Re: Need some new flat petals and looking for some opinions

+1 for the spank spikes. I switched from the nukeproof neutrons which were quite good and grippy but I kept loosing pins.

The spikes are thinner so I get less pedal strikes and the pins seem more durable.

perpetual pucker factor
    I've not heard many great things about the new E*Thirteen pedals in terms of durability. Shame, because I really like most of their ideas/products. I don't mean to submarine them, but a friend who has connections to the company has broken every set he has had within a month or two. Granted he's hard on his stuff, but that would be pretty disheartening to break them so frequently. He's not happy at all with the pedals.

Have you considered Canfield Crampons? I'm currently using some Crampon Ultimates, and they are insanely good. VERY simple, very light, very thin, and they have taken an absolute beating and are still fine. I've bashed the pins into rocks so hard it sprained my ankle, and the pedals had little more than a few scratches. No broken/bent pins whatsoever. But if you do break a pin, they were smart enough to make the pin screws with allen heads on both sides of the pins. That way, you can always remove them, even if they snap off at the pedal body. The DU bushings have lasted much better than any bearing-based pedal I've used, and with virtually no maintenance at all. Yes they are a bit expensive, but they will last forever. They really are worth the extra few bucks.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I think I am going to give in and buy the Canfield Crampons too.
    I hate the price though!!
    Spank spikes are my 2nd choice.
    Need some good shoes to match too.
    Regardless of pedal, use long screws.

mtbr member
    I am tempted on the Canfield Crampons,
    $150 for regular or $50 more to drop more grams on the magnesium version.
    I like the look of the Spank Spikes too.

$100 Spank Spikes = 400 grams
    $150 Canfield Crampons = 342 grams
    $200 Canfield Crampons Magnesium = 282 grams

400 grams
    -282 grams
    --------------
    118 grams = $100

mtbr member
    I have been using the Wellgo MG1 on my bike, the thing about them is the bearings seem really good, they are fairly light weight, and they are really cheap!

In the UK they cost about 28 (under $50)

I did try a pair of DMR V8's that my friend had spare, and they were OK but heavier and the bearings were not as smooth.

The only issue I have with the Wellgo pedals is the paint comes off them easily, for some this would not matter, but I find myself touching up the paint every so often with a black automotive touch up paint.

I am not paying 80+ for a pair of pedals when I can get a really good set for under 30!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    Seen the new pedals review articles on MTBR yet?
    I haven't, I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    I've not heard many great things about the new E*Thirteen pedals in terms of durability. Shame, because I really like most of their ideas/products. I don't mean to submarine them, but a friend who has connections to the company has broken every set he has had within a month or two. Granted he's hard on his stuff, but that would be pretty disheartening to break them so frequently. He's not happy at all with the pedals.

Have you considered Canfield Crampons? I'm currently using some Crampon Ultimates, and they are insanely good. VERY simple, very light, very thin, and they have taken an absolute beating and are still fine. I've bashed the pins into rocks so hard it sprained my ankle, and the pedals had little more than a few scratches. No broken/bent pins whatsoever. But if you do break a pin, they were smart enough to make the pin screws with allen heads on both sides of the pins. That way, you can always remove them, even if they snap off at the pedal body. The DU bushings have lasted much better than any bearing-based pedal I've used, and with virtually no maintenance at all. Yes they are a bit expensive, but they will last forever. They really are worth the extra few bucks.
    That's too bad about the E13 pedals but I really appreciate the feedback. Last night while looking at them a little more I found a few other things I liked about them (I.E. The replaceable wear plates) so if you had not posted I may have made a mistake in getting them. I like the ideas behind the pedal so maybe down the road they will toughen them up so they can become an option.

I found out about the Canfields after browsing a few related threads after posting this one. I'm really considering them, especially after hearing your experience with them. They look like a very well designed pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    I have been using the Wellgo MG1 on my bike, the thing about them is the bearings seem really good, they are fairly light weight, and they are really cheap!

In the UK they cost about 28 (under $50)

I did try a pair of DMR V8's that my friend had spare, and they were OK but heavier and the bearings were not as smooth.

The only issue I have with the Wellgo pedals is the paint comes off them easily, for some this would not matter, but I find myself touching up the paint every so often with a black automotive touch up paint.

I am not paying 80+ for a pair of pedals when I can get a really good set for under 30!
    Yeah, I hear ya there. My Wellgos cost me about $40 and I'd still say they're the best bang for your buck. Other than not having quite enough grip I don't have any big issues with them, although after reading some other threads it seems like their size may be causing at least some of my pedal strikes. I've got a gold set on my bike and they're pretty trashed. I don't mind it but the finish definitely isn't durable.

Thanks for all the input, I'd love to hear about some more experiences and suggestions.

likes bicycles
    There are some things I would pay $100 for 118 grams of, but bike weight savings is not one of them.

I have the Spank Spikes. They've been great. Get them.

mtbr member
    from what I have heard the E13's are better suited to DH riding as they do not spin that well for trail riding! Lots of riding buddies have the Spanks and love them. I didn't like the way your feet sit so clause to the crakes! I just ordered a pair of Hope F20's seem like they are a pretty tough pedal and weigh 390 grams

mtbr member
    Can you get longer spikes for the Hope F20's ?

PA Biker
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I have the Shimano Saint pedals and really like them. Strong and durable and have adjustable pins so you can dial in grip. Affordable too compared to many other high end pedals.
    +1. I use these with 5 10's and they work flawlessly. You don't need flats with 100 pins that are 8 inches long. Pin placement and a nice grippy shoe work wonders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Need some new flat petals and looking for some opinions

Big fan of the Diety compounds. Thin, light, cheap, easy parts replacement, can take a DH beating, never had a problem keeping my feet planted.

mtbr member
    I use the Spank Spikes. I got the orange anodized ones to match the hubs of my Superfly. Really nice pedals
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    The DMR Vault looks nice too.

mtbr member
    Another vote here for the Spank Spikes, great grip and a nice wide (but thin) platform. Pins screw in from the opposite side, so easy to remove if you destroy pin.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Loaded Precision look good and lots of people like em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Big fan of the Diety compounds. Thin, light, cheap, easy parts replacement, can take a DH beating, never had a problem keeping my feet planted.
    This! I recently changed over to them and really really like them. They also fit my wide feet really well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have been running Canfield crampon ultimates for 2 seasons well the ultimates for the first and the mags for the second. I have had zero issues with them, they are by far the best flat pedal I have tried over the past 5 years.

They grip better then any and feel really good on the feet. When I got the mags I was worried about how much abuse they would take, but they have with stood 40 plus days of DH ( about 25 resort) this year and about the same of XC. I am 200 ish with gear and ride hard so they will survive. My buddy who is 6'4" and 230 lbs jumps big and has been on a set for the past year and a half with no problems.

mtbr member
    I've got some Answer Rove FR. I like 'em. I've hit rocks a few times and none the worse for wear. Huge platform, good pin layout, fairly thin, seem durable.

They were on sale for $50 last week through Pricepoint. I think I paid $85ish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Also a fan of Deity. I've used decoys and currently use the skyscrapers. Very thin. Long pins.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    e13s I have them and love them!
    They are extremely grippy and very durable.
    You should see all the scars on the plastic bases that would break another pedal
    The spin adjust really doesn't work that well it either makes them tight or tighter.
    I had some noise from one of the bearings a few months ago. I just took apart the pedal and lubed it up and haven't had a issue or noise since.
    Love them and Id recommend them to anyone

mtbr member
    I asked the guys in my local riding club.
    The Canfield Crampon Pedals got such a overwhelming review it pushed me over the edge on my next choice.