Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Need some advice

I've been biking for a few years now, but not consistently. I don't know a whole lot about bikes either. I have a Trek 4300 Alpha 2002 I think. Lately I've been doing more and I want an upgrade, but I don't have a ton of money. I know I want something with discs and a better fork. I got a max of about $700, what's the best all around bike for the price? Would it be better to upgrade some components on mine? Thanks

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by plumleej View Post
    I've been biking for a few years now, but not consistently. I don't know a whole lot about bikes either. I have a Trek 4300 Alpha 2002 I think. Lately I've been doing more and I want an upgrade, but I don't have a ton of money. I know I want something with discs and a better fork. I got a max of about $700, what's the best all around bike for the price? Would it be better to upgrade some components on mine? Thanks
    I can't see it being worth putting money into your 4300. How often did you change the chain? How much did you take care of it? How does the suspension feel? How about saddle, grips, pedals, reach... How does it feel when you ride it? Is there anything you would change about it? You can't throw money at an entry level bike and expect it to start performing like a race bike, unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Certainly if the bike is dialed for you then it will be worth putting some money into, but with a 9 year old bike I don't think you're going to get much value that way.

$700 in the new market might get you a good deal with the end of season sales going on, it really depends on what the shops in your area have in stock. You could also try to find something used. My suggestion is don't buy anything used or off the internet unless you can ride it first. First and foremost your bike has to fit, personally I'd go to a LBS to buy a bike, but to each their own. $700 is a decent budget, test ride everything you can get your hands on and see how things compare to your old bike.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the response. I see what you're saying about upgrading the 4300, it's old and needs one of everything too. I've been looking at a bike I found on craigslist, it's a Kona Stuff. I'm going to meet with the guy today so I can test ride it. Are these good bikes? He upgraded the fork to a Fox 36 Talas RC2, I don't know a whole lot about bike components but I've heard fox forks are good. He's asking $675 for it.

Picture Unrelated
    Thanks for the response. I see what you're saying about upgrading the 4300, it's old and needs one of everything too. I've been looking at a bike I found on craigslist, it's a Kona Stuff. I'm going to meet with the guy today so I can test ride it. Are these good bikes? He upgraded the fork to a Fox 36 Talas RC2, I don't know a whole lot about bike components but I've heard fox forks are good. He's asking $675 for it.
    All that matters is that you like it. If it fits, and you like it, then it's not a bad bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok thanks, there's also a Trek Ex 5. If I save a little more I could get that. How does that compare to the Kona?

Picture Unrelated
    Ok thanks, there's also a Trek Ex 5. If I save a little more I could get that. How does that compare to the Kona?
    Impossible to say without having the two bikes in my hands. One could be completely clapped out making it worthless but I can't say. I'm going to default to my previous answer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Dont waste your time

i like what zebra said cause he brings up a valid point, dont upgrade something that cant be upgraded. Im a skilled Mountain bike Mechanic myself and am in the process of building my own bike but when i was younger i had to learn the hard way that even if you put $1000 into a bike ods are its still gunna be the bike you had before and it still wont be to your liking. And dont forget that finding a bike that fits you can be tough but as long as you do your research and dont rush it you will be fine, hope the words helped, see ya

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks guys, I ended up selling my Trek and getting a Kona Stuff with lots of upgrades.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would like to see pictures

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Took it out today a little and loved it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some advice-e3187627872c_6613e577-0c69-4445-82a5-1c17834e73fb.jpg  

Need some advice-362a58a567c4_d6746b96-6837-4364-bfa7-801c38223dc5.jpg  

Need some advice-21f14d3e50ff_2e693dae-632b-48d2-96ed-3f65588a779c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Good Stuff man! (pun intended....) have fun with your new bike.

Helmet Tester
    That's a burly little bike for the money man! You are going to have a blast on that thing

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Today I noticed that there's some side to side play in the front wheel. Are there bearings or a bushing that goes bad?

mtbr member
    You might need to adjust the hub.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by smokerings View Post
    You might need to adjust the hub.
    +1

You can try it yourself with the help of Park's website or you could take it into the shop and have them crank out an adjustment in a few minutes. To do it yourself, you may need some cone wrenches depending on the hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's a 20mm thru axle and I tightened the cap on the end with an allen wrench and it seem fine now. Is this a normal problem? Could I use a little lock tight?

Picture Unrelated
    It's a 20mm thru axle and I tightened the cap on the end with an allen wrench and it seem fine now. Is this a normal problem? Could I use a little lock tight?
    There should be pinch bolts that keep the axle from backing out, but yes you should make sure your axle is tight before every ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Took the bike out today and had a blast, first time I really did any jumping. I've almost maxed out the front suspension. On the fork there's the rebound adjustment and the travel adjustment, on the bottom of the fork there's a cap. If you take that off is that a compression adjustment? For the fork do you ever need to redo the fork oil? Also I noticed that I was smelling brakes. They were getting super hot, should I upgrade the disc size? Thanks

Picture Unrelated
    Took the bike out today and had a blast, first time I really did any jumping. I've almost maxed out the front suspension. On the fork there's the rebound adjustment and the travel adjustment, on the bottom of the fork there's a cap. If you take that off is that a compression adjustment? For the fork do you ever need to redo the fork oil? Also I noticed that I was smelling brakes. They were getting super hot, should I upgrade the disc size? Thanks
    Might be compression damping at the bottom, I'd have to read the manual or tech sheet. Maybe someone with that fork will chime in.

The manual will have service intervals including fork oil changes. While most people don't follow those guidelines, it's safest to follow the directions for fork longevity.

Are you using both your brakes? Most of your braking power comes from the front brake and that's a common reason people heat their brakes up too much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'll look into finding a manual for that compression, that's what I thought it was too. I use both brakes, not sure which I favor when I'm riding but I use them both.

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Just go to Fox's service website and you will be able to find all the information on the fork including their recommended settings.

Fox Racing Shox FOXHelp Service System

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod View Post
    Just go to Fox's service website and you will be able to find all the information on the fork including their recommended settings.

Fox Racing Shox FOXHelp Service System
    Yes, this.

I was reading from my phone and the pics didn't load. I forgot it was a 36. So yes, that's a compression damper adjustment. I can't tell if it's a Vanilla or a Talus but you can also change the suspension stiffness by either adding air or changing the spring.

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Looks to be a 2006ish talas

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The guy I got the bike from said the fork is around 2005ish. Are they good forks? What is the basic fork maintenance?

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Yeah it's a good fork, if your ever looking to tune it up some then look into getting completely tuned by Push industries. As it stands it's probably worth getting the oil changed and the seals replaced since you don't know the history on it.
    Last edited by Magsrgod; 10-02-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast