Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8

    Need a Quality Bike APAP and now I am CONFUSED! HELP!?

    I know there is a section for this type of question but when I was looking through some of the responses to a few threads I was troubled by the lack of technical understanding. I figured that this would be the best place to get a serious answer. Sorry if this was a bad assumption.

    Anyways, I was going to buy the 2007 Motobecane Fantom Comp (20'' or 22") as soon as I got the money and now that I have it they are sold out until August. I am so pissed that I wont be getting this bike, I love how it looks and what it comes with. Here is the link to the bike if you are not familiar with the componets: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...mp05.htm#specs

    So I would like a comparable bike in the same price range (if that is possible). So that's $600 if you don't feel like looking at the link.

    I was looking at some of the Fiji bikes but I wasn't sure how to compare the componets.

    So this is what I need:
    1.) $600 or less
    2.) The bike must be black, grey, dark green, or any color that is not bright. This bike will be used for hunting (amongst other things) and I want it as descrete as possible.
    3.) Equally comparable to 2007 Motobecane Fantom Comp
    4.) Must be a Hardtail
    5.) Must have rear bolt holes on the frame for a rear rack (I am pretty sure the Fantom Comp does, let me know if it doesn't)


    Please Help! Thanks in advance.
    -Conlan
    Last edited by slim9300; 06-21-2007 at 01:44 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Up ^^^

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    63
    A quick ebay search turned this up:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Motobecane-Fanto...QQcmdZViewItem

    And a search of these forums will yield enough knowledge to compare components for yourself. Another good way would be to go to the manufacturers' websites.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    774
    check out the iron horse warrior expert at rscycles.com. it comes in black/charcoal and green, but the green may be bit flashy for hunting. Why not rattle can the thing flat black or cammo anyway?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    check out the iron horse warrior expert at rscycles.com. it comes in black/charcoal and green, but the green may be bit flashy for hunting. Why not rattle can the thing flat black or cammo anyway?
    Thank you! I just can't see myself painting a brand new $600 bike. lol. It may come to that as a last resort though.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    774
    sorry, I gave you the wrong site. here's a link

    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=4959

  7. #7
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Not quite as good but...
    Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 is black and well equipped...but I can't tell if its got rack mounts. Performance has them in stock and on sale.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Not quite as good but...
    Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 is black and well equipped...but I can't tell if its got rack mounts. Performance has them in stock and on sale.
    Thanks for all the good info! Now I feel like I am looking in the right places.

    Also, how do you guys think this bike compares to the Iron Horse or others? It's $450 shipped which is less than I planned on spending but I am curious. It's the Windsor Cliff 4900. Here is the link: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4900.htm

  9. #9
    squish is good
    Reputation: Clutchman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,933
    I would steer clear of the Windsor, the Iron Horse Warrior Expert is a better deal. If you were confused about technical stuff, why not let us know what you were confused about and maybe we can help figure it out. Budget XC hardtails aren't really the most common bike used for what most people think of as all mountain so there may not be as much specific knowledge but we can help try to iron out some of the details.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    OK, here is the problem then. I am 6' 3'' with a 33-34 inch inseam. The 2006 Iron Horse Warrior Expert is only left in 19.5''. Don't you think that would be too small? And do you think that the 2007 Warrior 3.0 or 3.5 is as good as the 2006 Expert? Or should I go with the Expert if they have my size?

  11. #11
    squish is good
    Reputation: Clutchman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,933
    Yeah, at 6'3 the 19.5" is going to have a really short top tube, especially for your inseam. I'm a 5'9er with about a 31.5 inseam and I ride a 19"ish frame normally. Without getting too technical, the frame measurement can vary so the best thing to do is ride the actual bike and see how it feels, however I've never seen a Iron Horse dealer and I'm asumming your looking at the internet for your purchase. Your best bet would be to email their service guys and ask which frame would be best for you but I would guess it's gonna be the biggest frame.

    I gotta say the '07 Warrior 5.0 is the bike I would go with as a great trail hardtail. It sounds like your looking for a little more of a utility use, in that case the 3.0 will get you from point a to point b but if you want to have some fun the 5.0 has a much nicer component spec. It really comes down to three things when I'm looking at a trail bike:

    1 - Fork - Rock Shox Tora on the 5.0 is a great trail fork, nothing really to complain about at that price
    2 - Brakes - Avid Juicy 3's are great hydraulic brakes, they have great modulation and are a good match for power for a hardtail frame
    3 - Drivetrain - the SRAM X.9 rear derailleur is a great component and the SX5 triggers will treat you well

    All these components on the 5.0 are far superior to the components on the 3.0 and they are going to give you the best bang for the buck performance. They aren't top shelf but they will work perfect for an all around trailbike.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I gotta say the '07 Warrior 5.0 is the bike I would go with as a great trail hardtail. It sounds like your looking for a little more of a utility use, in that case the 3.0 will get you from point a to point b but if you want to have some fun the 5.0 has a much nicer component spec. It really comes down to three things when I'm looking at a trail bike:

    1 - Fork - Rock Shox Tora on the 5.0 is a great trail fork, nothing really to complain about at that price
    2 - Brakes - Avid Juicy 3's are great hydraulic brakes, they have great modulation and are a good match for power for a hardtail frame
    3 - Drivetrain - the SRAM X.9 rear derailleur is a great component and the SX5 triggers will treat you well

    All these components on the 5.0 are far superior to the components on the 3.0 and they are going to give you the best bang for the buck performance. They aren't top shelf but they will work perfect for an all around trailbike.
    How does the 5.0 and the Fantom Comp compare? I know they have the same fork and a few other things, but I am just curious.

  13. #13
    s62
    s62 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    534
    K2 Zed 2.0 or 3.0

    Nice looking (similar to OP bike), muted colour, good specs, extremely comfortable ride, and in your range:

    Zed 3 - 599.00 - http://www.rei.com/product/745681

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by slim9300
    How does the 5.0 and the Fantom Comp compare? I know they have the same fork and a few other things, but I am just curious.
    Anyone?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Up ^^^^

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •