mtbr member
    Mar 2017

In need of a new bike, need suggestions

I'm looking to purchase a new bike and would like some suggestions.

Ive been looking at a Nukeproof Scout 290 Sport for a while and would like to hear what your thoughts are on it. I'm a little concerned about the Suntour fork as I have heard more negative about Suntour than positive.
    Nukeproof Scout 290 Sport Bike 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I'm looking for something around $750-$1000 that will get me the most bang for my buck. I went to my LBS and looked at Trek bikes and it appears that you typically spend a few hundred more on a bike with comparable components just because of the name.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    you may want to shop around a bit, do you have a Kona dealer in the area? ( you can also order them online ) the reason I bring them up is I saw the Blast and Cinder cone in a shop this past weekend and for the money was impressed by the little bikes. better components and look to be a little more Beefy built plus, lifetime warranty on the frame on both. and both of those are in your price range. but. other brands should have something similar. don't get in a hurry, shop around, see if you can demo some, you may decide to wait a bit and put a little more with it for something in a little higher grade of bike depending on the type of riding you are going to do. plus, you really get into this sport, upgrades are a never ending circle. good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by Uwibami; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:15 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Great bike, wouldn't be worried about the Suntour fork in the least, my little cousin has one on his Raleigh and it's worked great and if you're not happy, they have an upgrade program to go to a better fork. Only thing I'd ask is if you're somewhere around 5'5"-5'8", because all they have is Medium left and that's about the height range I'd suggest for that size bike.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yeah, that's one of the best bang for your buck I have seen. It's an air fork, which is a huge bonus at that price point. Suntour is pretty good about warranty I understand, and if it craps out, you can buy a better fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    No, I'm 6'2" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Great bike, wouldn't be worried about the Suntour fork in the least, my little cousin has one on his Raleigh and it's worked great and if you're not happy, they have an upgrade program to go to a better fork. Only thing I'd ask is if you're somewhere around 5'5"-5'8", because all they have is Medium left and that's about the height range I'd suggest for that size bike.

WillWorkForTrail
    Not all suntour forks are crap. That's a 34mm stanchion 130 travel air fork. It's probably ok. Yes, Suntour makes a lot of the horrible coil spring forks that are put on beginner bikes, but some of their higher end offerings are actually some of the best values in suspension. True, if you're used to a great fork, like a Pike or something, and you're a big guy, and you ride really fast through rough stuff, you might feel like the fork is a little under damped, but otherwise, for that kind of money, it's a good deal. Heck, you can't even buy a Pike for what that bike costs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Vitus

Here's another one to compare it to. What's a better deal. Nukeproof or Vitus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawelter View Post
    Vitus

Here's another one to compare it to. What's a better deal. Nukeproof or Vitus?
    The Nukeproof has a better drivetrain. I'd choose it. The RS and Suntour forks are probably comparable at that level.

I'd also plan to spend another $200 for an X-fusion Manic dropper post.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Are dropper posts hard to install later on?

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    The Nukeproof has a better drivetrain. I'd choose it. The RS and Suntour forks are probably comparable at that level.

I'd also plan to spend another $200 for an X-fusion Manic dropper post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawelter View Post
    Are dropper posts hard to install later on?
    Not really. I installed one on both of my mountain bikes; neither came with one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The XCR air is the lowest level fork Suntour says can be used for mt biking. It differs from a Raidon in that it has one metal and one plastic bushing for the stanchions inside. A Raidon gets two metal like the RS Recon. A 34 XCR would be necessary because of the 130mm travel. It's Boost for good wide tire clearance. Should be good at that price point.
    The Vitus is probably not Boost 148 rear hub spacing or 110 front. It's also only 27.5 wheels with 2.4 the widest tire.
    I wouldn't buy it.

passed out in your garden
    Commencal HT AM??
    Same geo as Scout, but its 27+
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    How about a giant fathom? Seen some great deals on left over models at bike shops. Especially in large and small sized frames.
    I'm a fan of buying local. From a good shop that is. What if you have a warranty issue? It's nice to just go to the shop instead of emails and waiting.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk