mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Need new bike and advice

Current bike is a Santa Cruz heckler thats about 14-15 years old. It's time for something new. I have read through tons of posts on here and elsewhere but there are no bikes close to me available for test rides for the ones i have short listed. Therefore I am looking for opinions and advice on here from others.

the riding it will be used for is some east coast chairlift runs, mountain trail and a little pavement uphill work.

I can spend whatever I need to but no need to overspend for a 45 yr old low intermediate rider if you know what I mean. The bikes I'm considering so far are :

SC Bronson
    giant trance
    rocky mtn altitude
    norco sight or range
    was considering trek remedy but have about ruled it out.
    Any others that I should look for?

i had decided on an Al nomad but no longer available and I'm not certain i need a $6.5k bike

ive never had a carbon frame but not sure its necessary for me. The norco carbon can be had for the price of other Al bikes which is appealing. Ill set a budget of $4500 but preference will be given to lower priced bikes although I don't mind spending extra if the performance warrants it. I value a good ride and reliability over absolute weight savings

I picked my SC by riding them but nobody has any of these bikes local to ride so I have to choose one.

any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Save some money, get yourself an aluminum Norco Sight and you'll be stoked. It's a great bike at a great price. You'll be stoked with it.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    id get the Bronson. which one? its your budget
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The 2 things that matter most to me are downhill chairlift runs and pedaling efficiency climbing steep pavement.

mtbr member
    Kinda hard to imagine two more opposite requirements! Not familiar with all the bikes on your list, but your current Santa Cruz seems to have done you well, so I think the aluminum Bronson would be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Kinda hard to imagine two more opposite requirements! Not familiar with all the bikes on your list, but your current Santa Cruz seems to have done you well, so I think the aluminum Bronson would be a good choice.
    Yes i know, but that's just what i end up doing the most. Yes the SC has been awesome but being able to get a norco sight carbon for about same price is tempting. Also heard good things about RM altitude

mtbr member

Need new bike and advice

My buddy rides a Bronson C and loves it. I recently rode with a guy who had a Bronson Alm and he raved about it, said it was the best performing bike he had owned. Both riders say the Bronson is a well balanced frame. It's high on my list for my next frame. Lots of great reviews to read up on them out there.