mtbr member
    May 2011

New question here. Need MTB advise - buying used bike. Ideas?

I am looking to purchase a used full suspension bike with disc brakes and am looking for advise. I purchased a Cannondale Super V500, extra clean about 5 years ago. I have five children and now they are finally to an age where I can start riding! Problem is, now my bike was stolen off the back of my car.
    I am left without my bike and need to replace it though am on a limited budget. I have around $500 to spend. What I am seeing with full suspension and disc brakes is Cannondale, Gary Fisher and others which are late 90's to early 00's.

Question is, what would you recomend?
    What is a quality bike in this budget?
    What should I look for and watch out for?

I have been shopping craigslist locally and ebay as I would buy and pay with paypal.

Thank you much for your advise!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what type of riding are you wanting to do with it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    go HT instead. a $500 used FS is something I haven't seen much of.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Feel your sin!

Quote Originally Posted by nvestor View Post
    I am looking to purchase a used full suspension bike with disc brakes and am looking for advise. I purchased a Cannondale Super V500, extra clean about 5 years ago. I have five children and now they are finally to an age where I can start riding! Problem is, now my bike was stolen off the back of my car.
    I am left without my bike and need to replace it though am on a limited budget. I have around $500 to spend. What I am seeing with full suspension and disc brakes is Cannondale, Gary Fisher and others which are late 90's to early 00's.

Question is, what would you recomend?
    What is a quality bike in this budget?
    What should I look for and watch out for?

I have been shopping craigslist locally and ebay as I would buy and pay with paypal.

Thank you much for your advise!!!
    I kick myself for selling my yellow and green superV500 bike. My husband purchased a new trek mountain bike for me because my front shock needed a rebuild. Since I had the bike for years I thought I would sell it and thin out garage space. Dumb move! The new bike was nothing compared to the old. I sold my super v500 for about 325.00. They are just cool bikes all the way around! Good luck with finding a replacement.