Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need Ideas For Carrying Guitar Amp

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tomana 
#1 ·
I'm good at building things, sometimes not so good at designing so I'm asking for help to get some ideas.

I have a Roland AC-60 amp carrying case is 16" (W) x 12" (D) x 12" (H) @ 22lbs and I need to transport it via my Diamondback. My bike has a Blackburn Mountain Rear Rack (40lb capacity) and I need some ideas how to carry this amp without shaking it to death (3" furniture foam on top of a piece of 3/4" ply ?) and need it to attach on/off easily.

Below is a photo of the rack. Mine was made years ago by Cycle Design but looks to be identical in all respects.

Thanks for any ideas

tomana

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I was a systems instrumentation component level repair tech for HP and having worked on what was state of art circuitry (and therefore, state of the art hardware) at that time, I can safely say the following:

Why use a piece of foam rubber, then cinch it down with straps so that the rubber has no effect whatsoever (except as a barrier to prevent any cosmetic damage to the bottom of the amp - which is in a carrying case) ?

With regards to rolling the amp down some stairs, it's not the same as damage due to consistent shock from street surface irregularities, potholes, etc). Tumbling is not the same as consistent jarring.

Thanks for the input and have a nice day

#9 ·
While I agree, the modern solid state amps are pretty robust, I get the point, why beat up on it unnecessarily. You say it is in a case, I’d look for options to suspend and cushion it within the case and strap the case down rigid. The last thing you want is some hokey rubber band mounting system to dump it in the street at 15mph.

Gary

#10 ·
All_talk said:
While I agree, the modern solid state amps are pretty robust, I get the point, why beat up on it unnecessarily. You say it is in a case, I'd look for options to suspend and cushion it within the case and strap the case down rigid. The last thing you want is some hokey rubber band mounting system to dump it in the street at 15mph.

Gary
The case is a soft canvas type case. Would be good to float the amp inside the case and secure the case to the rack if it was a hard case. A hard case might do the trick, I'll have to search n' see what I can find online.

Thanks for the reply friend { 8^ )

#11 ·
You have two choices. Insulate from vibration and not have it secured well enough or secure it properly and deal with the possibly marginally shortened service life.

Really, the worst the vibration is going to do is expose a cold joint or similar manufacturing issue.

Take it from someone with experience on tour with local level bands. A trailer will beat equipment up 10x more than your bike can.

I'm also not sure why you would ask the all mountain crowd this kind of question. Seems like the commuter forum would be perfect.

#12 ·
I'll try to answer best I can:

You have two choices. Insulate from vibration and not have it secured well enough or secure it properly and deal with the possibly marginally shortened service life.
Gonna look into a backpack large enough to fit the amp (15" x 11" x 11") so shouldn't be an issue. I have no problem strapping my Ovation Concert Classic to the bike rack instead of the amp.

Really, the worst the vibration is going to do is expose a cold joint or similar manufacturing issue.
an accurate assessment, and one of the main concerns that prompted me to explore the possibilities via this post

Take it from someone with experience on tour with local level bands. A trailer will beat equipment up 10x more than your bike can.
If you mean you played with local level bands and toured clubs, I can say been there, done that too and yes, few gingerly handle the amps. Could be that the AC-60 looks much more petite and fragile than the Ampeg stack I used to lug around. Doesn't have that heavy duty metal re-enforced corners roll it down the stairs kind of look :)

I'm also not sure why you would ask the all mountain crowd this kind of question. Seems like the commuter forum would be perfect.
Good advice - I'll start it over there & thanks for all the comments friend :thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.