mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Need help selecting a rear shock for heavy rider

OK so my weight is roughly 375lbs so what shock should I buy?

Is the Fox DHX 3.0 good for me?

Chain Reaction Cycle has a few for ~$120,
    Fox Suspension Van Scott Voltage FR20 Rear Shock 2016
    Fox Suspension Float K CTD Trek Rear Shock 2014

I want something to soften the curbs and potholes, but of course I dont want to bottom out the shock either.

Is there something for me out there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need to get the correct length shock for your rear suspension. What bike and what shock and length do you have?

How do I make my Fox suspension hold me??
    Post for helpin this forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post

I want something to soften the curbs and potholes, but of course I dont want to bottom out the shock either.

Is there something for me out there?
    What kind of curbs and pot holes are you talking about and how exactly are you hitting them? There's no suspension that I know of thats going to be all that effective on square edge hits like curbs and pot holes. If you're just looking for something that will handle 375lbs then Fox should have you covered. You'll have to add their tokens to get below the max PSI of the shock and still avoid bottoming out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The stock rear shock, broke the mount, I was bottoming out on it but it got me from point A to point B. Its a steel bicycle, from Canadian Tire.
    I can weld on a new mount, but the geometry has got to be close.
    Yeah you can see it in the pic somewhat good, the top part where the steel is, should be sticking out 2" more, the tube collapsed because I am fat. Maybe I need a 700lb spring, but I got no clue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help selecting a rear shock for heavy rider-mtb-ebike-frame-all-steel-60.5v.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's hard to tell what the shock mount is on that, but it appears that it may be a falling-rate single-pivot design. If so, it's not going to work. The only possibility would be something like a progressive-rate low-leverage design, like some of the Foes bikes. Something like a 2:1 leverage ratio with a 3" stroke shock maybe, but even then you'd need something like an 800lb spring at least, this is just not feasible or practical. Unfortunately, you are too far out of range for any springs out there. You'd be far better off having someone custom-build a strong hardtail or fat-bike frame, and run that, maybe a fat-bike with big tires to give you that softer ride you are looking for.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

meatier showers
    Jayem is talking sense here. I canít say with certainty but it seems logical that the market for bicycle shocks like the one youíre seeking is so thin that such shocks are uncommon or possibly unavailable.

As an alternative I suggest you consider welding or bolting a length of tubing in where the shock was and running the bike as a hardtail. Or maybe turn to a motorcycle shock. Good luck.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think the fat bike idea is on point. The tires will cushion the ride and it'll be cheaper and easier than getting full suspension working for your needs. If you do go the full suspension route a shock from a street motorcycle like an R1 might just work. Dirt bike shocks will be way too big physically.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    I think the fat bike idea is on point. The tires will cushion the ride and it'll be cheaper and easier than getting full suspension working for your needs. If you do go the full suspension route a shock from a street motorcycle like an R1 might just work. Dirt bike shocks will be way too big physically.

That's not really the problem, you can get 3" and 3.5" stroke DH shocks for mountain bikes, the problem is finding the low-enough-leverage frame design to fit that shock. An Avalanche DHS would probably be perfect. Finding a frame that can run it, nearly impossible.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That's not really the problem, you can get 3" and 3.5" stroke DH shocks for mountain bikes, the problem is finding the low-enough-leverage frame design to fit that shock. An Avalanche DHS would probably be perfect. Finding a frame that can run it, nearly impossible.
    Yes i get that. A street bike shock will work with high leverage on a mtb and a heavy rider They are meant to support a 500lbs bike hitting bumps at 150mph. Available spring rates are much higher than typical mtb rates.

Fwiw when I raced dh in the 1990s I had issues blowing shocks and bending shock mounts. I machined different rear suspension bits to decrease the leverage ratio then put on a much longer stroke shock. Problem solved. Definitely a good way to go.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    Yes i get that. A street bike shock will work with high leverage on a mtb and a heavy rider They are meant to support a 500lbs bike hitting bumps at 150mph. Available spring rates are much higher than typical mtb rates.

Fwiw when I raced dh in the 1990s I had issues blowing shocks and bending shock mounts. I machined different rear suspension bits to decrease the leverage ratio then put on a much longer stroke shock. Problem solved. Definitely a good way to go.

Shock valving is very specific, I don't think just buying a street bike shock at random has any chance of working decently. Hardware different, etc. If you have a mechanical engineering degree and access to machining and tooling, then sure, but this is far out of reach for 99.99% of the population.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Here are some more pictures. I was thinking the same thing about buying a motorcycle shock, like from a 150cc. I actually went out and looked at some at a used motorcycle store, but they seemed way too stiff. Not sure from what motorcycle they were from, so maybe they were full sized motorbikes.

Need help selecting a rear shock for heavy rider-mine-strong.jpgNeed help selecting a rear shock for heavy rider-strong.jpgNeed help selecting a rear shock for heavy rider-img_0573.jpgNeed help selecting a rear shock for heavy rider-img_0202.jpgNeed help selecting a rear shock for heavy rider-img_0106.jpgNeed help selecting a rear shock for heavy rider-img_0579.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The only way I could test motorcycle shocks is to place it on the ground and try to force the shock down, so I figure if I can do it with my hands pushing against the floor and the shock compresses a bit, then compare a bunch and make a decision.

------------------------

This one is looooooong but cheap. See how its off a 80cc bike.
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/73-83-Yahama...wAAOSwXetZQEC-

Another
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/73-83-Yahama...wAAOSwXetZQEC-

I will go back and test them out again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    OK I got the shock in front of me
    6" hole to hole unsure as to the travel distance
    Spring length is 3"

This is whats labelled on the shock itself
    KINDSHOCK 261
    F(LBS/IN) 750

So it needs 750 pounds to compress one inch, is that the meaning?