mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Need help looking for stem

I'm looking for am - free ride stem, sort and light.
    what about thomson
    bikethomson.com/stems/bmx/

or sunline?

sixsixone.com/Catalog_SunlineCycling.aspx?id=f244dbb3-cd3f-4d4f-b4b6-7826bafd6930

sorry for the links- can't post linked yet - newbie

Huckin' trails
    I think that the thompson is over build for what you want, unless its extreme AM and heavy FR...

But a RaceFace atlas should also get your cover with style... Look also at Truvativ stem.

Atlas AM : Race Face 2011

Lot lighter then the Thomson too 255g vs 170g

Check this one out... 2011 Race Face Atlas AM 50mm Black Mountain Bike Stem | eBay

$60 free shipping, 158g, bad ass look and performance that can't be beat here...

But its also because I'm a fan of RaceFace... But people can also suggest other things.

Just be sure to have the right steerer tube dimension, bar clamp (handlebar diameter) and length of the stem you are comfortable with...

Happy riding

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    how do I know to fit the right stem to my tube ?

Huckin' trails
    Normaly your steerer tube should be 1" 1/8 diameter, since it's the standard for MTB bike fork... Now your handlebar diameter at the clamp area might be 31.8mm or 25.4mm... So take a gauge and measure... but if you are going for that kind of stem, you better get a 31.8mm bar, otherwise it's like riding cheap components on DH bike... Taking risk. And the 25.4mm bar won't be able to hold in place in a 31.8mm stem clamp...

Then you only need to see what length of stem you are comfortable with and you are all set

The one from RaceFace is for a 1 1/8 steerer, with a 31.8mm bar clamp. 50mm long or also 70mm, and maybe longer.

If you are looking for weight saving, RaceFace is one of your best bet out here and for the price it's kinda king of the hill with Thomson crawling in that tiny mud hole all the way down

Thomson say $100 for 50mm stem @ 255g... RaceFace say $60 for 50mm @ 158g...

No brainer here.

David
    Last edited by David C; 08-13-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Freshly Fujified

David has some valid points

But to say that the Thomson is "over build" is a bit of a stretch. Thomson is the de-facto standard by which many cyclists compare all other stems and seatposts. They are used for all ride styles to include road, singletrack, all-mountain, freeride and downhill. There is no reason to think that a Thomson would be more than you need. Many of us would say it's the perfect stem.

Are they more expensive? Yep. Will other stems work? Yep. I've used the Race Face and Truvativ products, and they will work just fine, especially if you are budget conscious.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde View Post
    But to say that the Thomson is "over build" is a bit of a stretch. Thomson is the de-facto standard by which many cyclists compare all other stems and seatposts. They are used for all ride styles to include road, singletrack, all-mountain, freeride and downhill. There is no reason to think that a Thomson would be more than you need. Many of us would say it's the perfect stem.

Are they more expensive? Yep. Will other stems work? Yep. I've used the Race Face and Truvativ products, and they will work just fine, especially if you are budget conscious.

Bob
    I'm on a budget almost 100% of the time... now the question is how big your budget is. Mine is RaceFace. If yours is Thomson, well congratulation

Budget always help us to get the most out of each pieces... So I guess the OP should tell us his budget and exact use of the bike...

David

Paste eater
    The truvativ line has some very affordable options and they've come a long way IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have some brand new stems lying around that I'm getting ready to throw up on the classifieds. I have a few Truvativ AKA stems that I've been completely happy with. Syncros have always been reliable for me too.

On another note, you probably have a standard steer tube unless you runninga Lyrik or something with a 1.5 inch non-tapered steer tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Normaly your steerer tube should be 1" 1/8 diameter, since it's the standard for MTB bike fork... Now your handlebar diameter at the clamp area might be 31.8mm or 28.6mm... So take a gage and measure... but if you are going for that kind of stem, you better get a 31.8mm bar, otherwise it's like riding cheap components on DH bike... Taking risk. And the 28.6mm bar won't be able to hold in place in a 31.8mm stem clamp...

Then you only need to see what length of stem you are comfortable with and you are all set

The one from RaceFace is for a 1 1/8 steerer, with a 31.8mm bar clamp. 50mm long or also 70mm, and maybe longer.

If you are looking for weight saving, RaceFace is one of your best bet out here and for the price it's kinda king of the hill with Thomson crawling in that tiny mud hole all the way down

Thomson say $100 for 50mm stem @ 255g... RaceFace say $60 for 50mm @ 158g...

No brainer here.

David
    Bar diameters tend to be either 31.8mm or 25.4 no? Cant say that I've seen a 28.6mm bar

As for stem brands, for the most part I would say the brand doesnt matter. I happen to be a fan of both Thomson and RaceFace but getting the correct stem for your particular application/need regardless of brand should be okay.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh View Post
    Bar diameters tend to be either 31.8mm or 25.4 no? Cant say that I've seen a 28.6mm bar

As for stem brands, for the most part I would say the brand doesnt matter. I happen to be a fan of both Thomson and RaceFace but getting the correct stem for your particular application/need regardless of brand should be okay.
    Damn. Sorry for that mistake, I got confused with other measurements and did not realize that. I will edit those to the correct diameter...

And we are still waiting for the OP spec on the intended use and budget.

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    Chromag Ranger 50mm. Beat the heck out of it. They are built tough and light

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thomson Elite X4 50mm 0 degree. $60.89 shipped for a black one from amazon.com 178grams.

Amazon.com: Thomson X4 31.8 Bicycle Stem: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For now I'm jumping one meter jumps but I would like to do more.
    My budget is 100 usd.
    I think I need the shortest stem. Is there some direct stem for my fox vanilla RLC fork ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There might be 40mm stems, can't remember. If you're looking for the shortest one you can find, visit the websites for the brands that cater to FR and AM. Cromag would be one place to start. Rarely might also offer a 40, might be 50 though...

mtbr member
    I vote Thomson. Light and bulletproof.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by marikth View Post
    For now I'm jumping one meter jumps but I would like to do more.
    My budget is 100 usd.
    I think I need the shortest stem. Is there some direct stem for my fox vanilla RLC fork ?
    Well for this level, I'd said Thomson worth the shot... I was more thinking of AM then really aggressive AM... Thomson made good product, among all other manufacturer. I think now the look must be one of the condition for the stem you gonna buy... Don't buy something too flashy for a flat dark grey bike, you know what I mean.

Truvativ can offer you something with badass look too. I like the Chromag either. Real stuff that get you set on a nice level like Fox components do.

Check the weight, cost and then look and you will be able to made the best choice. Put those 3 in the order you want went searching and good luck

David

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks a lot for your help. I decided to go on thomson's stem,
    but i can't decide which one exactly to choose:
    1. Thomson X4 31.8mm 50mm 90-D Black Mountain Bike Stem | eBay

2. Thomson X4 31.8mm 50mm 90-D Silver Mountain Bike Stem | eBay

3. Thomson Elite Fixed Gear Road BIke Stem 50 22.2mm Blk | eBay

4. THOMSON ELITE MTB STEM 0 degree 25.4 x 50mm BLACK | eBay

5. Thomson Blk Threadless Bicycle Stem 0dx50x25.4 #59775 | eBay

the cost is the same. the wight is different in 80 grams but the strength too.
    don't know which is better: please help!
    this is my bike: dark blue:
    Bikes / Archive*

the silver one looks great but I don't know if it will look good like you said.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by marikth View Post
    thanks a lot for your help. I decided to go on thomson's stem,
    but i can't decide which one exactly to choose:
    1. Thomson X4 31.8mm 50mm 90-D Black Mountain Bike Stem | eBay

2. Thomson X4 31.8mm 50mm 90-D Silver Mountain Bike Stem | eBay

3. Thomson Elite Fixed Gear Road BIke Stem 50 22.2mm Blk | eBay

4. THOMSON ELITE MTB STEM 0 degree 25.4 x 50mm BLACK | eBay

5. Thomson Blk Threadless Bicycle Stem 0dx50x25.4 #59775 | eBay

the cost is the same. the wight is different in 80 grams but the strength too.
    don't know which is better: please help!
    this is my bike: dark blue:
    Bikes / Archive*

the silver one looks great but I don't know if it will look good like you said.
    No hard at all... From the bike archive,you have a stock bar diameter of 31.8mm, so only the Thomson X4 31.8mm 50mm 90-D will fit... Unless you can find the others in 31.8mm version or you have a 25.4mm bar...

Then yes, the black will look better then the silver one on your bike, but both look great alone.

So it's your call and don't forget to measure your bar diameter before to be sure...

David

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Out of curiosity, do you know what length of stem you are using now. I might suggest, that you go with something from TruVative, especially in the $40ish price range and buy multiple sizes, especially if you are not used to a 40, 50, or 60mm length stem. Once you have figured out which length is comfortable to you, then sell them off and buy the more expensive stem you do want, Syncros being my choice of stem.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I can't buy any Chromag parts, because it makes the rest of my bike look cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    sorry but this is not my bar! and many of the parts gone thought some improvements.
    Today I'm taking my bike after shock service, and than check the diameter.

mtbr member
    EC90SL - I love it!!

RideDirt
    I just picked uP this TRUVATIV Hussefelt Stem | SRAM .. I'm gonna try it out and see what happens ...