mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Need help buying my first real mountain bike

Hi, i am new to this forum and im looking to buy my first real hardtail mtn bike. I am deciding between a trek 3700 ($379) a trek 4300 ($479) or a Iron Horse Quantuam II (Sports Authority $375). Any advice on which to get or how to possibly get a better price on the Treks?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Don't buy from Sports Authority, they won't be able to give you advice. If you buy from a Bike Shop you will be able to get at least one free tune up after your bike is broken in, some shops give more. I would choose the Trek 4300. It has discs, and the 3700 doesn't, is that right?

oh Lucky me
    i 2nd bryguy!! dont buy from a sports shop. go to a lbs, they will be much more helpful and give tune ups. my first hardtail was a specialized hardrock, v brakes, spesh tires...it was a tank....but i had ALOT of fun on it and it taught me how to 'ride' (not just go down the street)...

good luck and tell us what you get
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...

~Disc~Golf~
    plus I read somewhere that Iron Horse is going down...not sure what that would mean for warranty issues you might have, but it's something to think about.
    maybe someone more familiar w/ IH will chime in..
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the advice, I am leaning more towards either trek right now, but I am still not 100% sure which one, BTW the 4300 Disk is an extra $100 so that one would be $579. That is a little bit more then I want to pay, and the guy at the shop told me that its really not that important for what I want to do. I do want a higher quality bike, but the price is a big factor for me, I would get teh 4300 for sure if it was 400 but we will see if i can talk them down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Abragg112
    Thanks for the advice, I am leaning more towards either trek right now, but I am still not 100% sure which one, BTW the 4300 Disk is an extra $100 so that one would be $579. That is a little bit more then I want to pay, and the guy at the shop told me that its really not that important for what I want to do. I do want a higher quality bike, but the price is a big factor for me, I would get teh 4300 for sure if it was 400 but we will see if i can talk them down.

for what its worth I was in the same spot many years ago when buying my 4500 in college. I didnt very little to no research and decided that the 450 for the 4500 was what I wanted to pay and that the extra 100 wasnt worth it for the disk brakes, that surely I could just upgrade later if I wanted to. Well I have regretted it ever since. I have realized that the bike isnt right for me in many ways but one of them is and always was the V brakes vs disk and when I looked into the upgrade option it was hundreds of dollars not just a hundred. You have to buy new wheelsets on top of the actual new brake purchase. If you are planning on having the bike for awhile and know you like the geometry and set up go for the extra 100 bucks and get the disk you will be happier.
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth"
    - Albert Einstein

ride hard take risks
    $500 for a Haro with disc brakes.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...o+DX&Type=bike
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Go with the trek 4500 without disc. It will stop fine.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy6631
    Don't buy from Sports Authority, they won't be able to give you advice. If you buy from a Bike Shop you will be able to get at least one free tune up after your bike is broken in, some shops give more. I would choose the Trek 4300. It has discs, and the 3700 doesn't, is that right?
    +1 go to a Bike shop they'll hook you up better than SA. Check out the shop reviews on mtbr

old broken downhiller
    If your location has you riding in wet and muddy conditions, you will regret sticking yourself with any kind of rim brake.

When rims get wet and gritty, V-brakes quit working.

When disks get wet and gritty, Disk brakes still work the same.

You won't regret spending a little more for disk brakes, even mechanical units...
    Refusing to grow up since 1978...

mtbr member
    Definitely get into the 4000 series if you can. You get more suspension travel -- 100mm versus 63mm -- than in the 3000 series. And I like that RST fork better than the Suntour.

I've been in the same boat as ntlarson with wanting to upgrade to disc brakes. It's a bummer to be in that boat.

However, it is also true that rim brakes are plenty adequate for just about all of the riding that I do. I very much like disc, but rim brakes will get the job done well-enough except when I'm on steep and long downhills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Disc brakes at this level are a bit overrated. If you're really on a budget, I'd go with V-brakes.

I know money is an issue, but a good alternative would be the non-disc 4500. It comes with disc hubs and can easily be upgraded to discs. The advantage here is that $100 could get you a good quality set of brakes like Avid BB7's. But the 4300 you're looking at is fine and might fit your budget a lot better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for all the input guys, I am still not 100% sure, I think I have my decision by thursday though, Anybody think I should just get the sports authority IH Quantum II? Its actually just as expensive as the Trek 3700 and basically comes with the same stuff plus it actually has the disk brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I wouldn't do it. I don't think you should let disc brakes be a deciding factor here. Really, at these prices I tend to think that V-brakes are the way to go. Not all discs are created equal. Plus, there is added value to buying from a bike shop (tune-ups, repairs, etc.).

oh Lucky me
    NO!!! you will want the 'long term' service a LBS will provide you
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...