mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Need Help: Is this bike worth the money? Trek Fuel 98?

Hello,

I am looking at a bike on craigslist the owner said it is a trek fuel 98 but doesn't know what year it is and I also tried figuring it out but no luck. Could anyone help me out thanks.

Also is this bike worth paying $500 for?

Trek FUEL 98 Mountain Bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help: Is this bike worth the money? Trek Fuel 98?-5le5e15j13e43ge3p3c9d4cdd0ce60e8f12a9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd rather go for a new hard tail with good disk brakes for that price than a bike that you don't know much about.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Tell him $400. Use the hundred you saved to buy a cheap disc hub up front. Then save some loot to purchase XT front brake setup for $130. That is not a terrible bike, after that upgrade you are rocking a FS bike that can stop on a dime. You'll have $600 into it, do some searching on what $600 will get you in the new bike world.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Give it a crank
    If you can test ride it you can get a pretty good idea whether you want to take your chances on it or not. There's always a chance it could turn out to be a bargain after a little maintenance.

Cow Clicker
    Looks like a Fuel 90. Check how much wear the brake pads have to get an idea of how much it has been ridden. Also ask if they've ever been changed. Wear on the rims will also be a good indicator of rim wear. I wouldn't put any money in upgrades into that bike.

10 or 12 years old.

Trek 2001 Fuel 90 Full Suspension Bike Reviews
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for everyone's help it was very informative.

Abby Design & Constructio
    Feb 2012
    Maybe put a chain gauge on the chain and make sure the chain, cassette, and crank rings arean't worn out too. That can save you money.