mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Need Help on 2X9 Set Up

Need some advice on how to best convert my bike from 3x8 to a 2x9.

I ride an Ellsworth ID in the rocky northeast. Only compliant about the bike is how hard it is to go up and down up front.

Does a short cage Derail. make sense?

What are people doing about bash guards? I have an older XTR crank. Does this need to go?

Is there a 2x front derail shifter I should consider?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Show pics of your 1x9 setup

Short cage makes sense indeed. You can use your existing derailleur. For AM-use you're best off removing the big ring. I think 36-26 with a 11-34T cassette works best because these rings are in between the normal 44-32-22 setup so you hardly lose anything.

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm running a 22/36 setup with a bash with no problems shifting up front. The 14 tooth drop seems like a lot...but it works fine, never drops its chain. However, with an older XTR crank which is possibly a 110/74 five bolt pattern...I think a 24 tooth small ring is the lowest you can go. So I would go 24/36 with a bash ring. Also, for a 11-34 9 speed cassette, a med cage is the better option (short cage is great for single ring 1x9 setups or using tighter road cassettes).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    A true short cage will NOT work, unless you are VERY careful about cross shifting. The best set up would be a medium cage (this is the shortest that shimano makes in mountain specific deraileurs). Your existing der will work fine though..it just hangs down a bit lower.

Your xtr cranks have a wierd bolt pattern and will need a specific bash. As for a guide, check the blackspire (they might make a bash for your crank as well).

For the front der, just set your limit screw to prevent shifting too far up (onto the bash).

I run a 24-36 or 38 combo, with a 11-34 in the back and have all the gearing I need. Keep in mind that ramped and pinned rings are near impossible to find in a 36 or 38, so you will loose a bit in shifting. In my experience, this is not a problem though as I use the front rings as 'high' and 'low' gear ranges..that is put it in the granny and climb to the top...once at the top....shift into the big ring for the way down. If you get your rings figured out, I dont think you will need to constantly be shifting the front, and you wont have all the redundant ratrios that the three rings give you.