mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New question here. Need advice on a Specialized Bike i'm thinking about purchasing.

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro M4 Custom Fox XRT XT SRAM x9 Avid Elixer | eBay

Hello,

I'm new this site though I've read some reviews in past.
    I'm finally considering upgrading from my 1999 Specialized FSR. This bike has been very good to e an have over 1000 miles on it and have only had to replace a shifter cable and brake pads. Anyway, I'm looking at this custom build on Ebay and would like to know if this is worth what he is offering it for ($1200 free shipping). My budget was around $1000 to $1200 including shipping. I don't race and I mainly do singe trak tails at the local park. I've attached the link above.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looks like a whole heap of trouble and double the price it should be. I think it's around 2009 frame. Should be running 120mm front so would have a sharper HA with that fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coastermtb View Post
    Looks like a whole heap of trouble and double the price it should be. I think it's around 2009 frame. Should be running 120mm front so would have a sharper HA with that fork.
    Thanks, so would you recommend finding a bike that has not been custom built for around the same price? I've been looking for about 2 months now on ebay and cannot find one for the price you suggest ($600), mostly 2008-2010 Epics going for $1000 to $1500. I'd be ok with one of them to but I don't race and I've heard they are less comfortable after long rides and the brain will need regular maint.

perpetual pucker factor
    Have you considered moving away from Specialized? That might be the reason you're having trouble finding something good in your price range.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Need advice on a Specialized Bike i'm thinking about purchasing.

Check out the classifieds on bike specific sites like mtbr or pinkbike.com. You'll find more of what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yep, way too much for that bike. If it has 1000 miles on it and the only things replaced on it were a shifter cable and brake pads I would be highly skeptical of it. Makes me wonder if the suspension was ever serviced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The bike that has all the mileage is my current bike that I will no longer be using.
    This guys bike that I was considering was a custom build.
    I'm open to other bikes but I have a comfort zone with specialized as I practically grew up with one, it lasted so long without any issues and all the shops around here sell them. So that being said, what's another good bike that you guys would recommend as I doubt I'll have a chance to sit on one and get a feel for it. I'm 6'-0" and 184lbs and I've been riding a size large FSR which fits me well. I also like the full suspension as the ride is smoother and I don't care to race as I've said before. I should also add that the shops around here also sell, trek, giant, gary fisher and scott.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Im in another country so advice may not relate to US. I like Specialized too, just sold off my 2008 stumpy. Have an epic now. The 2008-2010 splesh bikes have a good rep round here. Id be very wary of brain shocks and other non-standard major parts, can be hard to get and expensive. Round here 2nd hand 26ers in large sizes are hard to sell, so hopefully that might be in your favour. Be patient and keep looking until right bike comes up. Bikes like the one you linked just seem to be something that has a lot of old used parts thrown on to sell it, not really a good custom build.

mtbr member
    That is a 2004,2005, or 2006. Its not worth 1200 bucks. Maybe 1000.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for all the replies, I've decide to up my budget after riding a Santa Cruz 5010 - this will be the bike as we have mostly single track in our area with no more than 1'-0" drops, this bike handles like a dream. Now off to sell my 1999 Specialized FSR, let me know if you know anyone interested.
    1999 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    ^ Is that in the classifieds? If not, it's SPAM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT