mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New question here. Need advice: Giant Trance X0 29er or Transition Bandit 29er?

I'm looking for some advices... I read a lot of reviews of the 2 bikes, but, I never read an impartial review about theses bikes 1vs1. Old Trance ride love their new Transition, Transition rider don't seem to have a lot to say to tell why this bike it that hot... Well, I'm tired of reading "whatever reviews". It's obvious that the guys with a new Bandit don't miss their old Trance 08...

On the other side, I read Bandit articles/reviews that don't look impartial because they had to produce a review. We can find good review about every bike on the market, but everybody knows they are not the same.

Before anyway negociation, I can get a brand new Trance X0 29er 2013 from a local bikeshop a 4000$+tx. (Drop seat post include).

If I buy a Transition Bandit frame with some good part, it gets between 4000 and 4700$ (before having trouble with custom fees).

Well, if you know where is what I'm looking for, tell me plz. Ok we are on feb 2nd, but summer is coming fast with all that rain these days

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Vincyboy; 02-03-2013 at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    did I post it in the wrong section?

anyone?

beater
    I'm afraid you're probably not going to get much feedback that's any more useful than what you've already found. For one thing, both bikes are relatively new and there probably aren't a ton of people who've been able to ride either of them, much less both. Also, Transition has changed the Bandit 29 slightly for this year, to set it further apart from the Covert 29, so most of what you've read about it is probably going to be about the original version, not the one you'd be buying.

If you want useful feedback on choosing between two bikes, you'd also need to provide some details on how and where you ride, what kind of trails you prefer, what you like in a bike, etc.

I'm not super familiar with either of them, but it seems like the big differences are price and suspension design. And maybe availability of warranty support wherever you live. I think the Bandit is a nicer-looking bike, and that's about all I can tell you about them.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I use to have a large Giant Anthem X3 2010 with good wheels/tires. I like to have an agressive style when it's possible, BUT, when it's time to drop some etchy drops, it's there that this 4''bike is not enough. (I'm 6'2'', so, my bike is a little short for me)

I don't know if I will sell it, because I like the nevous style of the bike VS the 29er I tried. (Tallboy, Superfly 100, Stump jumper FSR).

BUUUUT, I'm not a racer (neither a ricer...) so I want a fun bike. For those who went to Waterburry/Millstone, you know that having 5'' is a big plus

I still have hope to meet someone who tried the two bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    a special bump for me.... oh come on, just for me

mtbr member
    Im always inclined to go for the burlier and slacker bike so I would go for the Bandit 29. As mentioned above they did tweek the bike a bit so I would seek out the previous model used.

You would probably get better 29er advice in the 29er section.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

Deere Rider
    It may be difficult to find someone who has ridden both 2013 29er versions of these bikes. There should be more people on the Trance than the Bandit due to sheer volume. I doubt there are very many people on MTBR that have ridden the redesigned Bandit 29er.

It is fairly obvious that, by the reviews and ride reports, last year's Bandit 29 was a huge success. I doubt that the subtle changes on the 2013 version will change that. Additionally, feedback on the new Trance 29 looks very positive. This is to be expected as Giant has the Maestro designed honed to near perfection.

Looking at a geo comparison the 2013 versions of both bikes look to be very similar. The bandit does have chainstays that are enough shorter that you should feel a difference. They are both designed around a 120mm fork. I'd say you are looking at apples to apples...just different varieties. It's hard to beat Giant on value for a new bike. However, the new build values on the Bandit 29 are quite good if you can order the complete bike.

Here's what I can offer. I currently own an Anthem X29 and a 2013 Covert 29 (the Bandit's big brother). I owned an older model Trance 26 and a Yeti ASR 7 (suspension design and ride is very similar to the Covert 29). The Maestro suspension, "in theory", should react better under power and during braking over bumps. I have never really noticed enough difference to be concerned. If you are sensitive to these things, go Maestro. If you realize that a properly designed single pivot can still deliver an incredible ride, the Bandit is an excellent option.

I can tell you from experience that Transition's customer service is second to none and easily accessible...at least here in the USA. My suggestion is go with the bike that looks good and fits the way you want. My opinion is that both suspension designs ride well enough to be excellent options and both bikes are designed to fill the same niche.

Have fun!

Pics of my comparison bikes for no other reason than I like pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need advice: Giant Trance X0 29er or Transition Bandit 29er?-2012-11-30_14-16-12_846-copy.jpg  

Need advice: Giant Trance X0 29er or Transition Bandit 29er?-2013-01-18_14-55-33_70.jpg  

Last edited by titusquasi; 02-09-2013 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    titusquasi, thank you very much for you advice!

If you come to Quebec someday, I buy you a drink for sure

I have a feeling that the Trance is a good choice and it gonna be easier to have service from local bikeshop (if needed). I'm Canadian, so I can expect some delay if it happens something with the frame... For now, I think I would go Giant...