mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Need advice on AM bike (Mayhem 27.5+? / Jeffsy CF Pro Race 27?)

First, I don't really mountain bike much -- but for a number of reasons that is changing this year, and I get passionate about whatever hobbies I engage in. Therefore, I'm willing to get an excellent bike out of the gate. I've done a fair amount of road biking, but my real passion is rock climbing -- but I'm trying to transition to other activities as I think about retiring/traveling (age 55).

I live on the NY/CT border -- the trails I'm familiar with are rocky, rooty, and don't have what I would consider long sections of uphill or downhill. But I may end up moving out West within the next couple of years (Western CO, WY, or S. Lake Tahoe areas). I may also end up traveling a fair amount by van/camper around the US at that time, and want a single bike that would be a good compromise for most areas.

I think I want an AM with a fair amount of travel...and the 27+ bikes interest me. So I was looking at the Ibis Mojo 3, but think I'm leaning toward the Mayhem. I've ridden (briefly) the Mojo 3 in both M and L...and at a bit under 5'9" they both felt fine. Never ridden or seen a Mayhem...but after talking with them, would lean toward a 5*-build medium. The Mayhem is 130mm front and rear. Not sure if chainstay length should be a consideration. The 29 capability is probably a plus as well.

Thought I was all set until YT updated their website, and I could get a YT Jeffsy CF Pro 27 in M as well. Not plus, but the components look amazing at that price. But it comes in at 160mm front and rear, which I'm concerned would be overkill. What are the disadvantages of the extended travel? For those that have one, how does it climb? Other comments?

Any other bikes I should consider? Stupid idea in general?

--t

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    if you want one frame that can do it all I would say the GG shredog/ megatrail.

the shreddog is a great trail bike 135 and 145 rear travel (changes with a moving of a bolt) pumps really well with an air shock and is very playful and fun. would be great for the NE and most trails.

however if you think you need some more firepower you could always move up to the megatrail. this switch is super easy to change over because all you need to do is replace the rear shock with the shock with the proper stroke length. and then boom you have a 150/165 travel enduro bike. (you might also want to have a longer travel fork (160-170) to swap out as well)

good luck out there looking for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fyi, Only the pro race model is 160mm, all lower spec have 150mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2zmtnz View Post
    if you want one frame that can do it all I would say the GG shredog/ megatrail.

the shreddog is a great trail bike 135 and 145 rear travel (changes with a moving of a bolt) pumps really well with an air shock and is very playful and fun. would be great for the NE and most trails.

however if you think you need some more firepower you could always move up to the megatrail. this switch is super easy to change over because all you need to do is replace the rear shock with the shock with the proper stroke length. and then boom you have a 150/165 travel enduro bike. (you might also want to have a longer travel fork (160-170) to swap out as well)

good luck out there looking for a new bike.
    The Shred Dogg will do 27.5+ too!
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    you can also run 2.2wide 29er if you are so inclined as well.

mtbr member
    The Mayhem with a 140 up front makes a great bike. I know nothing on the jeffsy, but the Mayhem is the best climbing bike ive ever ridden