mtbr member
    Dec 2013

New question here. Need Advice on 1st bike purchase

Hi all, new to mountain biking and am looking to buy a rig.

I've been biking for about 2 years now, going with friends once every 3 or 4 months on borrowed bikes. Been saving to get a bike for a while now.

I've got $2k to spend and here's what I'm looking at so far.

I'm 5'11", 195 lbs (looking to lose a little weight by riding hehehe).

1) 2011 Trek Remedy 9 (Craigslist purchase)
    2011 Trek Remedy 9
    2) 2013 Salsa Horse-thief 2
    Salsa Horsethief 2 - Big Kahuna Bicycles - Littleton CO

Any advice or suggestions on what I should get?

Thanks in advance,

Travis.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm fond of used bikes for stretching a buck. The size is in the right ballpark for you. I rode a Remedy the other day and liked it. That was probably a '14 model.

Do a price-check and make sure you're not getting fleeced. bikepedia.com often has original MSRPs.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Assuming the Salsa is $1,600 plus tax and the Trek is $2k, I think the Trek is a better deal. Both are aluminum frames, so less worry about hidden carbon damage from wrecks. I like the specs on the Trek better too. Might have some issues when it comes time to replace that rear shock, but you should be able to get spacers and put a standard shock on relatively easy.

Only concern is warranty. The Trek will not have any warranty, so you're on your own onit. I don't know anything about the vendor of the Salsa, and that may be a non-issue.

mtbr member
    If you're partial to the trek try and talk the guy down to $1600. Also check pink bike buy/sell. I've never owned a 29er but always thought those salsa looked cool and fun. I'd see what reviews say on those bikes and the stock fork.

The salsa is new and you'll have leftover budget for the crucial dropper post. Used is used my gut tells me that guy is asking too much given everything else on the market.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I got the trek guy down to $1750. I'm leaning towards it unless it looks abused when i inspect it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    watts, still learning about parts, that shock out of production or a weird size?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenominalee View Post
    watts, still learning about parts, that shock out of production or a weird size?
    Not familiar with that design, but some bike companies have wierd ends on their shocks so you have to order through them, and when they out, you have to buy a new bike. The one on the Trek has some extra stuff on it, but it looks like it still has a relatively standard bolt to hold it to the fauxbars.

mtbr member
    Really research the trek sizing they have an unusual convention. Just because the guy says it fit him doesn't mean he knew what he was doing. I'm 5'10 and I def would not be on a large trek w long stem

I think that salsa is not the current model year which saw some big changes.

Search pink bike and do a 1500-2000 min/max in xc/am section...you will have your work cut out for you sifting through the selection

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got the trek guy down to $1750. I'm leaning towards it unless it looks abused when i inspect it.
    $1750 sounds like a good deal. Hopefully everything works out just fine. Make sure to inspect every inch of it before paying.

mtbr member
    id buy new. you know its not been abused, it will come with a warranty (some are lifetime on the frame and a lot of warranties are for og buyer only), and youll probably get free tuneups, and it will fit you right

id get somethin like this... Trek Bicycle
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi all, new to mountain biking and am looking to buy a rig.

I've been biking for about 2 years now, going with friends once every 3 or 4 months on borrowed bikes. Been saving to get a bike for a while now.

I've got $2k to spend and here's what I'm looking at so far.

I'm 5'11", 195 lbs (looking to lose a little weight by riding hehehe).

1) 2011 Trek Remedy 9 (Craigslist purchase)
    2011 Trek Remedy 9
    2) 2013 Salsa Horse-thief 2
    Salsa Horsethief 2 - Big Kahuna Bicycles - Littleton CO

Any advice or suggestions on what I should get?

Thanks in advance,

Travis.
    That Trek is overpriced.

This year I bought a 2013 Superfly AL Pro @ $2,400 with 300 miles on it and a 2011 Superfly 100 Carbon @ $1,400.

The carbon one needed a few maintenance items but still... carbon frame AND 2/3 the cost? That guy you posted is dreaming.

If you can get it at a reasonable price, I'd go with that. LOVE my Trek.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Where'd you find them so cheap? Craigslist?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yep. San Francisco Craigslist.

Just go and nit pick the hell out of the bike with everything that you'd have to replace to make it perfect. The 2011 Superfly 100 was a $4,900 bike when new. But if you bring a chain stretch gauge, ask how long since fork rebuild, tires, cassette based on chain wear, etc. You can get a discount. And that guys is just simply over priced based on my examples.

There was nothing at all wrong with the 2013 Superfly (had like 300 miles on it) besides partially worn tires and he gave me an extra set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm looking at running big bear once or twice per season. I doubt that new trek fuel can hang.