mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. Which navigation tool is ideal for mountain biking

Who has the experience of using the Nav4All navigation system while you are out? Am I correct in thinking that any Bluetooth mobile phone can be turned in to a GPS device and how does it work? I ask this because I do a lot of mountain bike riding and quite often I get lost so having a handy GPS device with my phone would be great, are they expensive?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    A good paper map and compass.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    A good paper map and compass.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Edit: That is, of course, if we are talking about "all mountain" navigation. For xc riding a GPS is better.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    paper map? Dude, I think 21st century is far beyond that...plus, do you guys know that DOD spends 400 million dollars every year to maintain GPS, that's our tax money, it's gonna be a crying shame if we don't use it, right?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbzl
    paper map? Dude, I think 21st century is far beyond that...plus, do you guys know that DOD spends 400 million dollars every year to maintain GPS, that's our tax money, it's gonna be a crying shame if we don't use it, right?
    If I am seriously considering being in a situation that I need a GPS unit to get my a$$ back safely, then there is no way I am going to depend soley on an electronic unit to do so, and as long as I have the paper map with me, why do I need a GPS unit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i vote 21st century. now which gps has the features i can't live without!

one more time
    Oct 2005
    yeah im with you Kidd - ive got a garmin vista - the thing is packed with every feature imaginable - so many infact that i wouldnt have a clue how to use most of them.

we ride in the palm plantations and jungles in malaysia and you just cannot get maps - in fact in most parts of south east asia its hard to obtain good maps worthy of carrying on a ride.

anyway i use the autotrack function and its great. quite simply it just plots your course to within a metre or two and you can check your direction at any junction or point along the way. easy to store ride details as well.

if youre into tech stuff its great - although most of my old school riding buddies say its for wimps...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Garmin is an on-board navigation software, right? Just like Route 66, it requires map to be pre-installed in the phone, the thing is, I heard that Garmin's map isn't complete, they don't even have a map for Mainland China, let alone South East Asia jungles...

mtbr member
    One problem, GPS requires line-of-sight with at least three GPS satellites. Meaning, if you regularly ride in dense forest GPS ain't worth crap. With that said some of the newer Garmin units are using a newer technology that helps them work better in less than ideal circumstances. A map & compass will work day or night no matter where you are as long as you know how to use them correctly. Personally I'd take both. Use GPS when you can it'll be a lot more accurate. But if the worst should happen at least you'll have a back-up.

Cameron
    [SIZE="4"]Go Big or Go Home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i'd just like to have one that shows where i've been and give me a rough idea of where i'm going. if i go somewhere i've never been it would be nice to just ride and not worry about wether i can get back by dark or being lost.

sushi lover
    May 2006
    My navigation tool -- a friend who knows the area!

Riding a Rig.
    I'm curious as to what GPSs other riders are using as well.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbzl
    You still need a hard copy map to navigate properly with a GPS. A GPS can tell you where you are, may tell you which direction to go to your destination but you still need the map to know where that is. The sub-2" screens are not very useful for the big view. Add in that a GPS can not have reception 100% of the time and batteries can die you had better have a backup plan.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i think i would like one of these http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistacx/

mtbr member

watch and a good trail map

is all i need....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I use a Garmin Geko 301 GPS and Tracklogs mapping software (uses genuine OS maps). Takes about 30 mins to pre-plan and upload a detailed route from my laptop to the GPS and then just follow the pointer. At the end of the ride you also end up with a recorded route for future use. Works perfectly well in woodland too.

Exploreur de Citée
    A map and compasss that what I would think... What will you do if your GPS ran out of battery?

LOL... That is what I though but anywa. Did anyone answered my Q from my thread???
    D.Xenotime

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derwin.lau
    A map and compasss that what I would think... What will you do if your GPS ran out of battery?
    Fit the set of spares I always carry (2x AAA)
    They last around 12 hours.