Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Narrowed down to 3 beginner bikes...help!

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  gap_rider 
#1 ·
I'm a 30 year old newbie, and have narrowed my choices down to 3 bikes for my first bike.
Opinions on each bike are welcomed, adn please tell me if you had to buy one of these bikes what would it be and why. I plan on riding mostly prepared trails in the woods with some occasional rough stuff. Wont be riding daily, but mostly on weekends or days off.

Bike 1

2009 Haro Shift R1

Frame: Shift 6061 4.5” travel hydroformed aluminum frame with sealed bearing pivot
Fork: SR Suntour XCR 120mm w/ lockout and preload
Shock: X-Fusion Coil w/adjustable rebound
Crankset & BB: Truvativ X-Flow 3.0 24/34/42
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Bar/Stem: Ritchey Riser / Kalloy Pivit stem
Shifter: Shimano EZ Fire 8-speed intergrated lever
Saddle/Seatpost: WTB Speed V Sport saddle / Haro Alloy post
Hubset: Formula Pivit hubset
Front/Rear Rims: Ritchey Girder XC
Front/Rear Tires: Kenda Komodo 2.1
Front/Rear Brakes: Tektro IO mechanical disc

Bike 2

2009 Mongoose Otero Elite
Tires: 26x2.1 Kenda Komodo black skinwall
Wheelset: Alex TD24 disc specific double wall rims with Formula Disc Alloy QR 32 hole hubs
Bottom Bracket: FSA cartridged
Crankset: FSA Dyna-Drive alloy 42/32/22T
Frame: Heat treated 6000 series alloy with QR adjustable travel 2.5-4.4” (62-112mm) and replaceable hanger
Chain: KMC Z-72
Pedals: Mongoose alloy platform
Handlebar: Mongoose alloy riser 31.8x25x635mm (size small) 685 (size M/L)
Stem: Mongoose alloy riser 31.8x90mm (S/M) 110mm (L)
Seatpost: Mongoose alloy with micro adjust clamp
Grips/Tape: Mongoose dual density
Levers: ProMax alloy hydraulic
Brakes: ProMax hydraulic disc with 160mm rotors
Headset: Ritchey Logic Zero for 1 1/8”
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio M410
Shifters: Shimano Alivio M410 Rapidfire 24 speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus M311
Cassette: Shimano HG30 11-32T, 8 speed
Rear Shock: SR Suntour Raidon DA adjustable air spring and rebound damping
Fork: SR Suntour XCM HLO, 100mm travel, preload adjust and hydraulic lockout
Saddle: WTB Speed V Sport

Bike 3

2009 Giant Yukon FX

Size: XS/S/M/L
Color: BLACK/ SILVER
Frame: GIANT ALUXX
Fork: ROCKSHOX DART2 T100
Shock: GIANT MAESTRO
Handlebar: ALLOY 31.8
Handlebar stem: ALLOY
Seatpost: ALLOY 30.9
Pedals: ALLOY PLATFORM
Shifters: SRAM X.4 TRIGGER
F/R Derailleurs: SHIMANO FD-M413/ SRAM RD-X.4
Brake: HAYES MX-4
Cassette: SRAM PG830 11/32T
Crankset: TRUVATIV ISO FLOW 3.0 22/32/42T
Speed: 24S
Hub: FORMULA DC20/ DC22
Rim: WTB DUAL DUTY XC
Tire: KENDA K1010 30TPI 26X2.1
Weight: 12.61KG-S

Also, for someone who is 5'8" what size frame would i use if offered in S,M, L ?

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
cuse140 said:
Also, for someone who is 5'8" what size frame would i use if offered in S,M, L ?
Usually M. You should be looking for 22.5" to 23" effective top tube.

Consider
http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-MKIII-Trail-All-Mountain?sc=19&category=55 (17") It will be very good out of the box, and with some targeted upgrades down the line, it can be brought under 30lb, and it will be an excellent trail bike that will work for you for a few years.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-SUP-Details.html (probably 18")

I would think that under $1000 a good hardtail will be more fun.

There are no real "beginner" AM bikes. There are crappier, cheaper bike, and there are better bikes. Even a total novice can easily appreciate better performance from a good frame, fork and components. The only reason to skimp on the first purchase is if you do not know if you will be riding bikes for the long term.

#13 ·
Giant or Haro

From what I have heard, the Giant Yukon has gotten some excellent reviews both in magazines and online. I would go with the Giant. It has the Maestro suspension which I can say, from experience, pedals very nicely and is quite responsive. The Rock Shox Dart is not a great fork but its not bad. Rock Shox, since being purchased by SRAM, has put out some excellent forks.

I have heard good things about the Haro Shift as well though I have never actually seen one in the flesh.

In terms of sizing, the best thing you can do is go to a shop and get on the bike. Giant's tend to run a little large. Their mediums are usually 18" while most other brands mediums are 17". At 5'8" a 17" frame should fit you best with a top tube of around 23". Of course, those numbers vary depending on the bike.

What does your budget look like? You might be able to get a higher quality bike online or used (though a used bike may not be your best choice as a first bike).

Regardless, of your three choices, go with the Giant.

#14 ·
From my experience you outgrow beginner bikes very fast. You are better off saving up for a nicer bike or buying used. There are a lot of great bikes out there that are lightly used that you could get and use for a long time. I picked up my first bike for less than $1000 used (kona dawg) and I still love riding it today.

#17 ·
cuse140 said:
I'm a 30 year old newbie, and have narrowed my choices down to 3 bikes for my first bike.
I riding the Haro Flightline Comp. It is a solid hardtail and the components are not half bad. I am riding XC trail with some light to moderate single track. A few drops 1-2', some rocky stuff, but no jumps (I'm 50+ so that's a month out of work for me). Anyway a good bike to build on. I expect to upgrade fork, crank, derailleur over time but the frqme will still be cool. Weighs in around 30 lbs stock. Good luck and have fun!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.