Thread: n00bs R' us

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

n00bs R' us

hey all, I am new joiner to the forums and have been reading on a lot of different styles of bikes. I reall am interested in getting into the trail ride with limited drops. I have been looking at the iron horse sinister DS race ('05) and the iron horse warrior expert as decent intro bikes. I think that a hard tail will be sufficient for the degree of difficulty i plan to encounter, but i seem to be able to get a decent deal on the sinister Ds race. I would just like a little feedback. I am a smaller rider at about 160lbs 5' 6". The prices and specs are as follows

Iron horse sinister DS race ('05)
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=-113

Iron horse Warrior expert ('06)
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=56

i have also been to the LBS and had little luck, I havent been able to find something in giant or specialized that seem to be as good as these all-around. I am very open to opinion and any reccomendations in a different brand would also be appreciated. I am trying to keep under $600 as a general goal. thanks in advance
    Last edited by clunker_jumper; 07-06-2006 at 05:28 PM.

College
    Jun 2004
    For around 600 the best way to go is hardtail for a new bike or you can try a used bike. Though i haven't tried it, i doubt you'll like the rear end of the sinister. Just get a hardtail, it'll be good for learning to ride at first and it'll be cheaper. For 600 you can get a bike with a moderate fork, which i think is the deciding factor for a bike in this price range.
    College boy

squish is good
    Hey Clunker, welcome to the forum. First off, let me address your choices in bikes.

- Sinister

The components look pretty good, the rear derailleur is the same as on my bike and I paid alot more than six hundred. The other componenst, brakes specifically are okay as far as AM (as loosely defined as it is) goes. I'd rate this a 4.5 on a scale of 10 compared to the top o' the line.

- Warrior Expert

I'm not super familiar with the Xram line, as I've never used them before and have no firsthand experience, but I'd say its probably, as a whole a better component package, and better suited to the frame than the Sinister setup. The fork seems appropriate, and any Iron Horse frame is gonna be strong.

- My Oppinion

a $600 pricerange is not going to put you into a quality full suspension bike. Yeah, it's going to squish at both ends, but it won't do it nearly as well as a higher end bike. I was originally in the market for a bike around the same price as what you were looking at, and ended up buying a really cheap hardtail to get me around with a little trail riding. Less than 4 months later and I dropped around 2g's for a ful sussie, and I can't imagine regretting it. A quality full suspension is going to have either a stable platform valve (SPV) shock on the rear, or a lockout (ala Fox Rp3) that allows you to manually shut out much of the squish. Thats going to make it pedal alot better uphill and allow it to perform downhill as well without busting out a different spring or the shock pump. Another sign of quality rear suspension is going to be a well designed rear geometry, like the Giant Maestro, or Specialized FSR system. Stay away from single pivot if you plan on AM use, they don't respond well to pedaling!

If your looking to stay in your $600 budget, go for a hardtail, there are a gazillion offerings from many other manufacturers than Giant or Specialized. Check out Kona, Cannondale, Trek, Fuji, GT, Scott, Turner, Santa Cruz, Salsa...

Heres a link to a ton of bike manufacturers, try not to get lost, and be wary of poseurs, run it by us if you are worried about quality.

http://www.bikeaddict.com/manufacturers.html

Freshly Fujified

Get the Warrior Expert

For your $600, you're not going to get much better. The SRAM drivetrain components are above average. The Avid discs are nice, too. I don't know much about the FSA cranks, and the wheelset as described (other than WTB rims) seems very generic. As with most bikes in this price range, the fork is minimalist, but it's better than most offerings in the $600 range. At your weight, so long as you don't do any drops, you should be fine. Keep in mind the bike is probably going to be somewhat heavy, but again, in this price range, it's a very good value.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83

- My Oppinion

Another sign of quality rear suspension is going to be a well designed rear geometry, like the Giant Maestro, or Specialized FSR system. Stay away from single pivot if you plan on AM use, they don't respond well to pedaling!
    I'm sure you mean well, but this part is simply not true. There's a lot of marketing BS concerning suspension geometry and there are good and bad types of every generic design. Many of the very best mtb rear suspensions are single pivot designs and pedal as good as anything else out there.

The rest is true, go for a good solid hardtail at that price point.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was looking at the kona web site, mainly cuz the LBS stocks them, and found that the SHRED '05 seems to be a decent bike. I am not sure if it is what i am looking for, since it is in the dirt jumping category. I do like the style of the bike and i road one around a parking lot, and it seemed comfortable......I hate that i can't test it.

Let me know if they are a decent ride.....and thanks for the brands list I will start to click around... I do like the warrior expert but I am having a hard time finding an Iron horse dealer... Kind of sucks....