mtbr member
    Apr 2013

My UST tubeless tires got punctured by strange shell like seeds (picture attached)

My UST tubeless tires got punctured by strange shell like seeds (picture attached)-img_4668.jpgMy UST tubeless tires got punctured by strange shell like seeds (picture attached)-img_4670-1-.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4668.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	822872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4670 (1).jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	822873

I came back riding in the woods and found these little guys stuck on my tires. I pulled one out and in 10 seconds the air is gone. I pulled out like 20 of them and there are many more broken ones I could pull out by hand. All of them leaving hole on the tires.

I am wondering if anyone knows what they are and if I can seal the holes with any type of sealants?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

PS. Sorry I think I attached the pictures twice but I don't know how to remove them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They look like your typical thorn... for me personally if it was just one I would try to fix, but with that many I would just spend the money on a new tire.

mtbr member

My UST tubeless tires got punctured by strange shell like seeds (picture attach

Goathead thorns.

AZ
    banned
    Goathead's, Stan's should seal that right up.

Demon Cleaner

My UST tubeless tires got punctured by strange shell like seeds (picture attach

Those little goatheads are the second reason Stan's and tubeless are one of the most significant mtb inventions. Flats used to be part of almost every ride. I don't miss those days...
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member

Re: My UST tubeless tires got punctured

So your running tubeless with no sealant?
    Put some Stans in there and laugh at the lil Bastids!

I'm with stupid
    Ahhh the goat head love, we have them all over the front range of colorado. I do not miss the 1000000000 flat I have had by those little fellas.

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    Ah, the hated tribulus terrestris. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...terrestris.jpg

Had one show up in the back yard last year. Unfortunately, I didn't know what the plant looked like at the time, and it got to the seeding stage, which can happen rather quickly. Still pulling up sprouts this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Goathead's, Stan's should seal that right up.
    Dirty $anchez,

So you think Stan's would seal all the holes? I have got like 50 of them on both tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    So your running tubeless with no sealant?
    Put some Stans in there and laugh at the lil Bastids!
    Knoob,

Yea, I thought tubeless was already more puncture resistant so I didn't use the sealant. Wasn't sure how it works Does it plug the holes automatically whenever something puncture through the tire?

Formerly of Kent
    I've had glass, goatheads, and a piece of wire floating and sloshing around in the Stan's in my tires before.

It will seal most small punctures; you'll most likely never know they were there.

And yes...it works automatically.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Goathead thorns.
    Yep...I've had a run in with those bad boys before. Stans kept me going.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One thing i have learned with tubeless, especially when you are low on stans or you suspect it is all dried up.....put the thorns back in, or find a thorn and shove it in the hole. It will get you back home/to the car. Once home, you can put more stans in and take the thorns out (although if finde it works better to leave it in most of the time).

mtbr member
    Stans works ok, but there are better sealants. My personal favorite right now is Slime Pro.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Ahhh the goat head love, we have them all over the front range of colorado. I do not miss the 1000000000 flat I have had by those little fellas.
    Those damn things are everywhere... East Coast too. I got a bunch the 1st day out on new Racing Ralph snake skins a couple years ago. Stan's sealed up the holes no problem and they are still rolling trouble free. I did harvest a massive boog outta the front tire after a year or so (yeah, I heard it for a while and ignored it). Nothing even noteworthy has grown back since I picked that one

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Those damn things are everywhere... East Coast too. I got a bunch the 1st day out on new Racing Ralph snake skins a couple years ago. Stan's sealed up the holes no problem and they are still rolling trouble free. I did harvest a massive boog outta the front tire after a year or so (yeah, I heard it for a while and ignored it). Nothing even noteworthy has grown back since I picked that one

How did you get this one? It's huge!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the info guys! I am gonna try the Stan's and see how it works.

I have just recently started riding on trails and I was devastated to see so many holes on my tires. But it's great to learn the fix.

perpetual pucker factor
    yep, goatheads are the worst. Try growing up in Nevada. We had on the order of hundreds of plants when we moved into our house there. First bike ride, flatted out both tires less than 20 feet from the driveway
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by paries127 View Post
    How did you get this one? It's huge!
    Over time it collected in my full susser's front tire. After a while I didn't hear it bloppin around in there. Then, I noticed when bombing down hills my front tire was goin whop whop whop (outta balance style) so I finally decided it was harvest time

Elitest thrill junkie
    It might be a little hard NOW to seal it, although you'll still be able to do it. I'd suggest adding an extra ounce or two to help with sealing it, use a compressor because it's not going to set as easily with the holes, and be prepared to rotate the wheel to move the sealant to the right spots. It'll be fine though.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    NoTubes - Tire Sealant, Path of Death Puncture Demo - YouTube

all you need to know about stans no tube.