Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

My Unbiased Rockshox Pike Review

Rockshox Pike RCT3 26" Fork Review >> Mountain Weekly News

Here's my non-media version for anyone wondering looking for a real world short-term review.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

beater

My Unbiased Rockshox Pike Review

This further validates my Xmas wishlist.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wish they made a 26" 140mm version. It looks like the Pike is only 5oz heavier than a Factory 32 Float at 140mm, but I read somewhere that you can't just put in a spacer to reduce the travel, but have to replace the cartridge. Nice review!

Stand back
    Nice write up. Wonder when the updated Lyrik will show?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Nice write up. Wonder when the updated Lyrik will show?
    Thanks. I wonder what the future of the Lyrik will entail since there is some overlap there. Will the Lyrik become a lightweight 170/180mm fork [for riders looking to split the difference between the Pike and the Totem] instead of a 160/170mm fork? The Pike is so capable I'm not sure they need another 160mm fork. Though the Lyrik certainly has its merits and its avid followers, I'm betting a 160 Pike would suit the vast majority of riders looking for a 160mm fork. It's just that good. I really wonder what they'll do with the Lyrik down the road.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Good review (although it's hard for me to be totally unbiased when I've just forked over $1K+ for a fork). Sounds like the Pike is all that and them some. Can't wait to try one.

I wish they made it a little easier to adjust travel. I'd love to have this fork available at 130mm for a potential Solo build. I hate 32mm forks and all the bikes on my short-travel 650b/29er wish list seem to come with them.

Radical Rookie
    nice review with good details!
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I wish they made it a little easier to adjust travel. I'd love to have this fork available at 130mm for a potential Solo build. I hate 32mm forks and all the bikes on my short-travel 650b/29er wish list seem to come with them.
    It is actually. You can buy the 160mm Dual Position model which can be run at 160mm or 130mm.

I'm with stupid
    Does anyone know the axle to crown measurements on the new Pike? When I hit up the intoweb to find it, I always seem to come across the old version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Should be:

26 160mm - 542

27.5 160mm - 552

Elitest thrill junkie
    I get 570mm with my 29er 160mm version (just measured it). Probably +-2mm or so. Stock is listed as 571 as I recall.

As far as the compression damping in the review above; I find myself using quite a few more clicks than two. I find during hard downhill I have to increase to around 5 or so, otherwise it will blow through the hard hits and scalloped switchbacks/berms. It doesn't make it ride harsher, it actually makes it smoother. I found the same in super-chunky terrain a few weeks back too. The thing is you gotta be pushing pretty hard for this to be the case, but if you like riding the chunky/nasty terrain at speed, this helps IMO. If it's a slower uphill I like to back off the compression to nearly zero, or if it's real mild trail riding I might have it around 1-2, but on the downhills with significant drops and hits it seems to help to have a few more clicks in there. It doesn't get harsh on the sharp stuff, just helps it deal with successive hits much better and keeps you from feeling like you are being pitched forward as much on every hit. In the jump-park area with the bigger doubles and tabletops (15-20 feet or so) it helps to have a few more clicks past the 5 even, more like about halfway. Again, it keeps it from diving on the harder impact and from absorbing too much of the launch/lip, which I find helpful.

Two tokens and about 50-55psi was just right for my 160 (prolly 165 with pads/helmet) weight. Was using full travel within 5-10mm on bigger drops/jumps easily, but the last amount of travel got very progressive, as it should.

I don't think I'm abusing the fork at this point, not casing the jumps or landing all screwed up, but on the other hand it's pretty crazy to think I'm riding a 4lb fork and it rides like it does. Pretty amazing if it holds up.

The most amazing thing about riding this 29er "all-mountain" bike at the ski resort is that after riding downhill I don't feel like I'm fighting the bike or at any kind of disadvantage. It feels like you just had a bunch of fun downhilling, instead of cursing and swearing to yourself about how you should have gotten a DH bike. I remember trying to ride a DH bikes with the 5th element rear shock and the cv/t valve opening up juuuust a little late with each impact, translating into a crappy harsh ride that just didn't absorb stuff. Then there were the marzocchis that had such poor low-speed stability due to archaic ported low-speed compression blowing off to crude semi-shimed pistons. At certain speeds some of these things worked, but if you pushed some of these bikes downhill you quickly got into speed ranges where the stuff didn't work, and the faster you went the worse the stuff worked. The pike is definitely a big part of my current bike and it doesn't do this at all, it keeps working beautifully as you go faster and push harder. That is reassuring and just amazing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nice Review! You mentioned in the review not feeling the need to add any volume spacers... What is your riding weight if you dont mind?
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

Huffy Rider
    Sounds like a great fork, I would love to have one, but with no 20 thru, I can't justify re-lacing or buying a new wheel....argghhh!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    It is actually. You can buy the 160mm Dual Position model which can be run at 160mm or 130mm.
    Are you certain that the fork performs normally in the lower position? With some dual-position forks, the damping is altered (might even say compromised) in the low position and it's only usable when climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    I wish they made a 26" 140mm version. It looks like the Pike is only 5oz heavier than a Factory 32 Float at 140mm, but I read somewhere that you can't just put in a spacer to reduce the travel, but have to replace the cartridge.
    One would think that RS is very busy building additional forks that have this new damper. I'm sure they picked this size for a reason, maybe expected volume/demand, so whatever is the next biggest segment they will attack next.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I get 570mm with my 29er 160mm version (just measured it). Probably +-2mm or so. Stock is listed as 571 as I recall.

As far as the compression damping in the review above; I find myself using quite a few more clicks than two. I find during hard downhill I have to increase to around 5 or so, otherwise it will blow through the hard hits and scalloped switchbacks/berms. It doesn't make it ride harsher, it actually makes it smoother. I found the same in super-chunky terrain a few weeks back too. The thing is you gotta be pushing pretty hard for this to be the case, but if you like riding the chunky/nasty terrain at speed, this helps IMO. If it's a slower uphill I like to back off the compression to nearly zero, or if it's real mild trail riding I might have it around 1-2, but on the downhills with significant drops and hits it seems to help to have a few more clicks in there. It doesn't get harsh on the sharp stuff, just helps it deal with successive hits much better and keeps you from feeling like you are being pitched forward as much on every hit. In the jump-park area with the bigger doubles and tabletops (15-20 feet or so) it helps to have a few more clicks past the 5 even, more like about halfway. Again, it keeps it from diving on the harder impact and from absorbing too much of the launch/lip, which I find helpful.

Two tokens and about 50-55psi was just right for my 160 (prolly 165 with pads/helmet) weight. Was using full travel within 5-10mm on bigger drops/jumps easily, but the last amount of travel got very progressive, as it should.

I don't think I'm abusing the fork at this point, not casing the jumps or landing all screwed up, but on the other hand it's pretty crazy to think I'm riding a 4lb fork and it rides like it does. Pretty amazing if it holds up.

The most amazing thing about riding this 29er "all-mountain" bike at the ski resort is that after riding downhill I don't feel like I'm fighting the bike or at any kind of disadvantage. It feels like you just had a bunch of fun downhilling, instead of cursing and swearing to yourself about how you should have gotten a DH bike. I remember trying to ride a DH bikes with the 5th element rear shock and the cv/t valve opening up juuuust a little late with each impact, translating into a crappy harsh ride that just didn't absorb stuff. Then there were the marzocchis that had such poor low-speed stability due to archaic ported low-speed compression blowing off to crude semi-shimed pistons. At certain speeds some of these things worked, but if you pushed some of these bikes downhill you quickly got into speed ranges where the stuff didn't work, and the faster you went the worse the stuff worked. The pike is definitely a big part of my current bike and it doesn't do this at all, it keeps working beautifully as you go faster and push harder. That is reassuring and just amazing.
    I'm not sure if its your intention or not, but it seems like you're making an awfully big assumption on my riding style. I have charged it fast through super chunky/nasty terrain at speed. I didn't find anymore than 2 necessary, but each person should experiment with what they feel comfortable with. It's a personal setup thing, really. I merely pointed it out to comment on how good the fork is at not blowing through its travel, even with very little compression damping. Your setup (29er, 160mm travel) is completely different than my setup, so it's not apples to apples either. My bike might also have a more rearward weight bias. I tend to be really light on the bars and float/lift the front end over stuff rather than just plowing into it. There are just too many variables. I didn't find the need for more than 2, even when going fast through very rocky terrain (I took this thing on the Continental Divide) or hammering it in the bike park. Now I don't hit 20 foot doubles on this bike, so if you need it there so be it, but that's quite a bit beyond the fork's intended usage.

Awesome that you're loving the Pike and shredding it as hard as you are. I hope it holds up for you given you're a bit beyond its intended usage. I still feel more comfortable on my downhill bike in the bike park, if only because I don't want to beat up on my "daily driver" too much.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    Nice Review! You mentioned in the review not feeling the need to add any volume spacers... What is your riding weight if you dont mind?
    210-215 depending on how much I'm carrying. Pack can get pretty heavy on backcountry rides. I've used all the travel but haven't felt a harsh bottom out yet. I will keep experimenting and see, but for all around riding it doesn't seem necessary yet. I do have a dedicated downhill bike for the park, so if you're doing consistent big jumps and drops with it you might need em.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Sounds like a great fork, I would love to have one, but with no 20 thru, I can't justify re-lacing or buying a new wheel....argghhh!!
    Yes, unfortunately, there is that. I wish the 15mm thing hadn't taken off. Just didn't really see a need for it. But unfortunately it's here to stay and the future for forks in this range (until they develop some new "standard"). At least most wheels have convertible axles these days (which ironically takes away most of the weight savings). For those who do have the option, I can emphatically say the Pike is one stiff fork, even with 15.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Good review (although it's hard for me to be totally unbiased when I've just forked over $1K+ for a fork). Sounds like the Pike is all that and them some. Can't wait to try one.

FYI, I got my Pike for $833 and free shipping from Universal Cycles with coupon code VIP15. That's the cheapest I saw anywhere. Stock goes up and down, but they're getting em in pretty quick it looks like.

If I was really looking for nits to pick, I would say that maybe the stanchion coating could be more durable. I had a slow speed uphill tip over into a rock garden when I couldn't make a steep rocky climb. I missed my footing when trying to dismount and tipped over the bike. It put a few scratches in the stanchion coat despite the bike not hitting the rocks very hard. Now this may have happened on another fork (though it hasn't happened to me before), and scratches are just much more noticeable on a black stanchion, so I didn't feel it worth mentioning, but there you have it. I think the coating may scratch a bit easier than other Rockshox and Fox forks I've used. Due to it being a sealed damper, it's not going to let oil escape, and I made sure to file down any burrs so the seals won't get damaged. It might let a tiny more dust in, but we'll see when I service it. Doesn't seem to be an issue, though I was a bit deflated when it happened on something so stupid on a brand new fork.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Yes, unfortunately, there is that. I wish the 15mm thing hadn't taken off.....
    Baeck, since you're on a 26, have you looked into if the Lyrik lowers will work on the Pike?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Baeck, since you're on a 26, have you looked into if the Lyrik lowers will work on the Pike?
    I have not. All my wheels have interchangeable axles. My guess is no due to the redesign with the different damper and seals used. Happy to answer any other questions though.
    LMB

mtbr member
    I have not. All my wheels have interchangeable axles. Happy to answer any other questions though.
    I gotz me own on that Tallboy Mine is the non-adjust 150 w/ 46mm rake.

Running 3 tokens but w/ super low pressure (40psi for my 175 nekkid weight), and the LSC and 3-position switch wide open. I want the thing beyond soft for climbing in the chunks, then use the middle position on the downs. It's a GREAT pair to the Monarch Plus!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    ^ Spam bot fail. Quote his post and you'll see what I mean.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I gotz me own on that Tallboy Mine is the non-adjust 150 w/ 46mm rake.

Running 3 tokens but w/ super low pressure (40psi for my 175 nekkid weight), and the LSC and 3-position switch wide open. I want the thing beyond soft for climbing in the chunks, then use the middle position on the downs. It's a GREAT pair to the Monarch Plus!
    Interesting you prefer to descend in the mid setting. I like full open, but I think I run somewhere between 70-80 PSI. I'll have to look I can't recall. I really want a Monarch Plus to replace my RP23, but can't find them in my shock size for my bike and nobody has 2014s yet. Where did you get yours?
    LMB

mtbr member
    Interesting you prefer to descend in the mid setting. I like full open, but I think I run like 70-75 PSI. I'll have to look I can't recall.
    I get into a lot of situation during climbs that bounces me off my line. The front end on the TB is so light in the steep ups that the rear traction and torque can lift the front really easy. The mid position w/ no LSC is pretty good on the downs for me since I like to roll my turns front to back as I enter/exit.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Are you certain that the fork performs normally in the lower position? With some dual-position forks, the damping is altered (might even say compromised) in the low position and it's only usable when climbing.
    Rockshox claims that running in the shorter travel mode makes no compromises to damping. Someone would have to offer first hand experience though to back that claim up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast