mtbr member

My review: Knee Pads for AM

I just finished a review, where I compare the following pads against each other:

661 - Evo Knee Pad
    Fox - Launch Pad Pro
    POC - VPD2 Knee Guard
    Scott - Grenade Pro II Knee Guards

Check it out here:

All Mountain Next: Review: POC vs FOX vs 661 vs SCOTT

My review: Knee Pads for AM-fox.jpg

My review: Knee Pads for AM-weight.jpg

: )

mtbr member

Re: My review: Knee Pads for AM

Great review! Thank you, this will help a lot of people to choose.
    I own only the POC VPD 2.0 from the ones you have tested and I agree with most of your findings.
    The only issue I have with them is the stitching which rubs the back of my knees. I always need to use some kind of cloth wrapped around my leg in between the knees and the pads...
    I do own the proper size.

Working on my Drops
    Thanks for that review. I am thinking of picking up the POC.

mtbr member
    Thanks for taking the time and writing up a comprehensive review! I'm actually in the market for some pads, so this came at a great time lol

mtbr member
    Nice write up! If you ever get a chance to try the G-form pads and see how they rank in your opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

My review: Knee Pads for AM

G Forms are pretty wimpy. Likely moreso than the 661s. I use them for short AM type stuff, when I'm climbing a lot but don't need my big pack. I grab my Fox Launch Pros for shuttling, lifts or long descent days when I bring my big pack and can strap em on. The Gforms are not a 1-pad-for-all solution.

unrooted
    I've already advertised plenty for them, but I LOVE my Leatt knee pads: Enduro | Leatt® - Engineered for Performance. Protective Sports Gear

mtbr member
    Great review. I have the VPD 2.0's and love them for the hardier rides, but have recently picked up the IXS Flow's and WOW they are the cat's meow.

iXS Flow Knee Pads ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bike Knee/Shin Pads - Vital MTB
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

Working on my Drops
    out of the VPD 2.0 and the iXs, which has more protection? Which is more comfortable during pedaling?
    2011 Turner DHR
    2011 Intense Tazer FRO

Zombie Uprising
    I had the Fox Launch pro, knee pads, for 2.5 years. Really satisfied with them.
    But just sold them and bought the new Scott Grenade 2, to try the D3O material.
    I was between the VPD 2.0 and Grenade 2, but found a better offer on the Scott and picked those. We'll just have to see how they fare.
    I wish you had posted your review a week earlier, but never mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBAlex View Post
    out of the VPD 2.0 and the iXs, which has more protection? Which is more comfortable during pedaling?
    VPD's are more protective. The are DH worthy and actually very comfortable. I wore them in Moab for several long (10 hour) days. I would consider them a light DH, FR/AM pad that will cover almost all of your crashes. They are just a little too heavy duty for me in my every day riding.

The iXs's have very good protection and I will be wearing those for 90% of my riding. They are light, comfortable and provide some good kneecap protection. The POC's cover from the top of your shin to voer the top of your knee, whereas the iXs's cover just a little more than the knee. I would wear these in all of my riding if I didn't like the POC's feel and coverage.

The slippage is minimal with the POC's and doesn't happen with the iXs's....huge bonus in my book.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Just another option to throw out there:

Race Face 2013

In my experience better than the 661s and the POCs. No slippage ever, but also not constrictive.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice review. I have the Troy Lee 5400, Dainese Oak Pro and the POC VPD 2.0. The POC is my favorite of those three, troy lee slips to much, Dainese bunches up to much, the POC is just so well made, comfortable and doesnt slip(tight at first until broken in though). I wanted to try the Race Face Ambush not many reviews of those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Great review! I have the Launch Pros and they have saved me every time from knee injury. I have easily 500 miles on them, some spills and washes and they still look new when clean. Good for the money.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Just another option to throw out there:

Race Face 2013

In my experience better than the 661s and the POCs. No slippage ever, but also not constrictive.
    +2!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Wicked review, I am going to get me some knee pads!

Zombie Uprising
    V.P. what about maintenance, well cleaning and washing that is of said knee pads?
    Which in your experience started to deteriorate faster after many washes?
    How did the D3O & VPD2 pads fare after being rinsed repeatedly? Did seams start to loosen and fall apart?
    The Scott Grenade Pro 2 has a sleeve for the D3O material that you can/should remove prior to washing the pads.

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the great feedback, I really appreciate it.

I have only rinsed the POC, 661, and Scott pad. I had a bad experienced after the FOX pad lost its silicone strap after being wached. So im sticking with rinsing for the other 3.

mtbr member
    Awesome review!
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I use these Hyper Knee X D3O

I purchased them for snowboarding but they seem to be great for MTBing.

Yet to crash in them and I can't compare them to anything else but they are comfortable to wear and don't get too hot.

Demon have some good products but finding reviews on them can be a bit hard.

*edit*
    Actually I have crashed in them plenty in the snow so I know the protection is good on solid ice!