Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

NS Soda - pics, reviews, discuss

I built up a NS Soda in July. Great bike. It has several geometry/travel settings; check it out!

Long travel:

Short travel, long chainstay:

Short travel, short chainstay:
    Last edited by ride the biscuit; 10-30-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: change title of thread

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice build. What's the spec on it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaboym5 View Post
    Nice build. What's the spec on it?
    thanks.

its:
    2011 fox float (set to 180 in first pic, 160 in second 2 pics)
    RS Monarch Plus shock
    RS Reverb
    Avid Elixir CR
    Hope Pro 2 Evo rear hub with Stans Flow
    DT 340 front with DT EX500
    Minion F, High roller R
    Shimano SLX setup 1x9 with 11-34t xt cassette
    x0 shifter
    x9 med cage der
    Gamut chainguide with gravity bash
    Chromag OSX (funn fatboy pictured in first pics)
    Straitline 35m stem
    Diety compound pedals
    WTB silverado seat

mtbr member
    Love the Soda, wish it was more available here. Looks sharp, enjoy.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    I built up a NS Soda in July. Great bike. It has several geometry/travel settings; check it out!
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/lsXMO" vspale=0></iframe>
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>
    Long travel:

Very nice
    Last edited by gridtalker; 11-15-2012 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    i like that! it's like a covert/blindside baby! very nice smart build, op!

RideDirt
    Sweet build and love the diversity it offers , more companies need to implement that.

mtbr member
    That is my dream bike! hopefully I can pick one up next year... Also nice build!
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Sweet build and love the diversity it offers
    thanks, all, for the compliments! yeah, the adjustable settings was what really sold me on it; i think they came up with elegant, simple solutions. the adjustments completely change the ride characteristics, and it feels surprisingly dialed in each setting.

i'll do a review someday but I'm happy to field any questions...I know when I bought it it was a bit of a leap of faith since there wasnt much rider feedback.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Great bike:thumbup:

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Sick man! Love to see a dirty bike! Glad to see it's being put to proper use and just not a show toy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Man! I've been wanting one of those since they came out. I guess I'm going to have to keep saving my pennies... Sick bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If only they could take a front derailleur...
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by James_spec View Post
    Sick man! Love to see a dirty bike! Glad to see it's being put to proper use and just not a show toy.
    Ha, the third pic was taken after a fairly intensive cleaning effort...

Dwyooaj, I am pretty sure there is some kind of front dear that can be mounted...I read it somewhere that there was a way. Maybe one that mounts to iscg or something unusual

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by dwyooaj
    If only they could take a front derailleur...
    What about an E-type front derailleur?

Name:  SHFD770E.jpg
Views: 9739
Size:  18.8 KB

And you can always zip tie some cable guides on the seat tube.

mtbr member
    OP, Would you mind giving us a review when you have time?

I have not purchased one myself due to the fact that there is so little user feedback available on these bikes.

NS has a bunch of reviews posted on their site, but they are all from Polish bike sites.

I think the least NS could have done was to provide a bike to MTBR, Pinkbike or NSMB or one of the magazines so we could see what these bikes are about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Long travel:

What specific components do you change or switch? I kind of see the difference in the chainstay (i think... or maybe it's the camera angle) - but i can't seem to tell which parts on the stays or the linkages changed. care to elaborate on that point?

Always thought the Soda was a great looking bike. Wish they had that over here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    What specific components do you change or switch?
    Sure, the long travel/short travel is adjusted via the rearward shock mount...there are two different mounts on the rocker link (you can see the mounts as they are covered by a chip on each side). the lower mount is short travel and the upper mount is LT.

there are also two mount ports for the rear axle. there is a chip that you flip forward or backward...a nice toutch NS thought of was adding set screws to hold these chips in place while you thread the axle in. There are also two sets of chips: 1 for 10mm bolt on or QR axle and 1 for the 12mm maxle that comes with the frame. you must also move the der hanger and brake mount accordingly

Ovbiously, it is key to adjust fork travel in step with the rear travel. for me, this is the thing that takes about 30 mins or so since the adjustments on my fork are internal. all the stuff that has to do with the frame is very quick

Things I love about this are that the ease of these adjustments really implies how well thought out the design is...simple. And of course, the fact that the bike rides so differently and so well in each setting is nothing short of a gamechanger

Ok, im just gonna type out a full-ish review...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looking forward to your review... I can't buy one, sadly, but i love geeking out on bike tech.

The parts with the red arrows are the ones with the adjustable mounts & chips right? Just saw them now. HAHA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandus View Post
    OP, Would you mind giving us a review when you have time?
    Ok, this gonna be long and I'll probably come back to edit or just add stuff in other posts. I've ridden it extensively in each setting enough to offer up some feedback, but obvioiusly riding it since July doesnt count as long term.

First off, it really shouldnt be too hard to get yourself one of these in the USA or Canada. I ordered mine from a shop for a pretty good deal off msrp with HS installed and shipped. Now, I think you can even get a much better deal on any remaining stock from the first year.

Note: I think there may be a little sizing change for this next year, but I dont know more than that.

the build

when i pulled it out of the box, my first reactions were that it looks sexy and even a little beefer than I had guessed based on pictures. the downtube especially is burly.

Everyone doing detailed reviews of bikes seems to have a minor in weld inspection as they wax on about how amazing the build quality is. Well, sorry, I'm not a welder. I mean, we're talking about high-end bikes here, this shouldnt be a concern in my opinion.

For me it was a straight forward swap of all my parts. Obviously, with these Sodas its pretty key to chose your build wisely in terms of weight and strength if you want to max out climbing comfort.

Building up was a snap without so much as a single hicup. This being the first time I had built a bike from frame up, I thought the internal cable routing might be tricky, but it was cake. I used a paperclip to hook the cable for the downtube exit point. I may have cut the rear der cable (the only one I chose to go internal with) a tiny bit short, but its going to take a really bad/hard bar wrap to do any damage.

This is where the cool design comes in. They leave cable mounts in good spots as well as give you the internal option, which was perfect for my brake and reverb cables. Also, there is a sheath to protect your steerer as well as a little rubber piece providing protection where the cable enters the headtube.

There is also optional clear plastic tubes to protect your cables where they exit the downtube and enter the chainstays. I chose to use mine. It is big enough to where its pinned in pretty tight between the big lower pivot and my chainguide. However, I have no problem with this as it aint causin no harm or drag on pivot movement...rather, it looks very neatly tucked away.

I will also mention that the pivots were silky smooth (as they should be) out of the box and everything was nice and tight.

Now, I did make a mistake when building it up....i was so excited I neglected to properly grease the rear axle mount chips. This made them a beach to pop out the first time I wanted to try that adjustment (pb blaster, time, and staying with it worked). After greasing them like I should have, they are perftect...fit nice and snug in their spots like you'd want but slide out with a little push.

Another thing I highly suggest is to lightly grease the countersunk part of the frame for the screws that hold the der hanger in as well as the portion of the head that contacts that surface AND put locktite on the threads. These screws thread into the hanger, not the frame. In fact, despite all the adjustments and features, nothing screws into the frame aside from the bottom bracket: well played, NS, well played.

The paint/decals are not as durable as a powdercoat would be. I've scraped it in a few spots; whatever.

a word about sizing and fit

I am just under 5'11", and I bought the large, running a 35mm stem. The fit feels so nice. Its still small enough to where I have killer standover, and can be thrown around and maneuvered easily. But its also long enough to add stability and the most important thing to me for sizing: I get perfect leg extension for long seated climbs. I need to be able to extend my leg to just short of full extension, and I'm not sure I could do so with a small.

Very comfortable bike and my body position feels great in terms of properly weighting the front wheel around corners.

THE RIDE

I'm going to make some general comments which will inevitably be a little redundant when I get specific about each of the settings...because this practically 3 different bikes.

suspension design

I love how NS calls out the bike industry's load of BS about how each bike company claims to offer the best, most advanced suspension platform on the market....yeeeeeeaaaaah. They use what they call a simple design which rotates on oversized reliable and durable pivots.

This bike uses a faux-bar suspension platform which features a pivot above the BB, 2 on a rocker link that controls curve rate, and one the seatstay. Similar to another prolific design called the four-bar where the most rearward pivot is on the chainstay. Four bar proponents claim this helps to better isolate braking forces from suspension activity. Dual link designs (ie: dw link) are said to be the best at isolating braking forces.

I have ridden true four bars, spechy's design, as wells as owned several dual link (ie: dw link) bikes, and I just have not noticed any unwanted interplay between braking and rear suspension activity on the Soda.

However, and I am not sure if this is a generally accepted truth or just my own hunch, a lot of how we perceive a bike's stiffness comes from the chainstay since that sees most of the lateral force between the BB and the rear axle. My logic, then, is that the bike can be stiffer if the pivots are on the seatstays versus the chainstay since those smaller pivots reduce rigidity wherever they are on a frame.

Since I mention stiffness, I'll finish that thought in this section: this bike is STIIIIIIIIIF!!! My previous bike was a banshee rune which is renown for stiffness, and this is stiffer than that.

You can feel it on trail and doing the classic stiffness test of stepping/pushing inward on the crank while standing next to the bike. Most bikes will flex when you do that but the movement i see doing it on the Soda is from the tires squishing and wheels flexing slightly. If you look at the BB pivots and chainstay you can see why; its just burly looking.

climbing

This bike climbs very efficiently. And the general maneuverability of the geometry make it great for standing and mashing as well as getting up and over very techy moves and short punchy climbs. Actually it kindof inspires me to go at it on techy, punchy climbs.

The spandex crowd will obviously blast by every time, but I'm elevating at a very respectable all mountain clip...definitely gets the job done with juice to spare for the way down.

Ive even been pleasantly surprised on how well it makes its way up long seated grinders. I just settle into a relaxed cadence where I can lay down a nice smooth stroke and get no pedal bob.

Its important to note that I have a 32t chainring with my largest rear cog with 34 teeth. Pretty much all good suspension designs climb better the harder you push them, so it helps the efficiency of the bike to not have a granny ring or some other easier gear combo. Granny rings tend to also lead to choppier pedal strokes and a sudden spike in torque which causes bob and makes the rear wheel break free, losing traction.

The suspension does compress a bit under heavy chain tension when really yamming (like when powering up an extremely steep switchback). I'm not really bothered by this since its a consistent squish, not a bob, and the bike remains balanced and traction is is still rock solid when this does occur.

I have not wanted for it at all, but I imagine that if the bike had been spec'd instead with the RS monarch RT3 with the 3 compression settings versus the standard version, I would likely use high compression for some climbs (it would likely help the situation noted above).

I will always believe that the dual link bikes are the best climbers as the harder you pedal, the rear wheel gets sucked into the ground; however, the real factor for climbing a Soda is "how much will your build weigh?"

Havent weighed it but I think its about 33.5, which is very acceptable for big rides with long climbs.

not climbing

fun, fun, fun. this bike is more about having fun than anything else. If you buy this as your main ride you are making a very conscious choice that your primary objective is to get shreaddy and have a blast doing it.

Going back to the dual link suspension designs comparison being great for pedaling...well, I think it also probably makes great sense for DH style riding due to the more rearward axle path, which is great for square edge hits.

While I think dual link bikes go a little more effortlessly over big square edge hits, I have found they do not feel nearly as good for freeride maneuvers. I think they require a ton of tuning and even then you run into harsh botomouts and confidence robbing, sometimes wallowy takeoffs and landings.

This is where the Sodas wheelhouse is and where its suspension design shines. It is incredibly active over small stuff, has the perfect platform for boosting off lips of jumps and drops, and always saves plenty of reserves for the biggest of hits.

The stroke feels so controlled and consistent all the way through its travel, which feels great landing a big hit. Between that confidence inspiring feel, the aggressive geo, and the solid burly frame, you feel like you can huck any drop to flat with impunity. In just these few months, the freeride side of my game has improved nicely.

Also noteworthy is the Soda is spec'd with a great air shock, the RS monarch. The beauty of this shock is that it performs fantastic on this frame with no tuning required beyond what RS does at the factory. I'm not talking about expensive after market custom tunes here, but basic adjustments. The only things you can do to this shock are change the amount of air in the can and set rebound...that's it! and it works!

As a tinker by nature, if the shock didnt do exactly what I wanted it to, I would have already felt the need to replace it with something that did. This is another nod to the brilliance of NS's simple suspension design since it performs great when paired with the simplest, no fuss, no muss high performance air shock on the market.

geometry and adjustments

Ok, I'm going to leave it at that for now. The last part I'll come back and fill in someday is the specifics of the different settings. I saved the best for last...
    Last edited by ride the biscuit; 10-29-2012 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I been really enjoying mine, I have it set up on the short travel long chain stay. It climbs better then my covert, and it bombs the down/tech. Mine is in the 30pound range, so far I have enjoyed this bike more so then any other. I bought this bike cause if I ever leave Florida Hell I have options. It is worth it for the adjustability alone and you described the ride very well.
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=ride the biscuit;9824888]Ok, this gonna be long and I'll probably come back to edit or just add stuff in other posts. I've ridden it extensively in each setting enough to offer up some feedback, but obvioiusly riding it since July doesnt count as long term.

Thanks for the review. I am really considering one of these.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpichu View Post
    I been really enjoying mine, I have it set up on the short travel long chain stay. It climbs better then my covert, and it bombs the down/tech. Mine is in the 30pound range, so far I have enjoyed this bike more so then any other. I bought this bike cause if I ever leave Florida Hell I have options. It is worth it for the adjustability alone and you described the ride very well.
    thanks!! and please feel free to post up pics and thoughts here about your soda! a 30 lb soda sounds killer. just wait till you try the short chainstay mode...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I will give you a run down of my parts:

Meduim frame
    fox 36 float 160mm
    monarch plus
    deity handle bar/stem
    thomson seat post/the saddle
    saint cranks/lg chain guide
    NS arial pedals
    E.13 wheelset <--super light weight all mountain killer engagement
    hans dampf tubless
    x0 rear deraillour
    xtr cassette
    avid brakes
    that is pretty much it, really like mine

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Damn I want one

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My beast!

mtbr member
    My beast!
    that is sick!! especially how you were able to get to such a nice weight even with the saint cranks

I wanted to rename the thread to call it "NS Soda pics, reviews, discussion" thread but maybe mods have to do that

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It is such a great bike, I really wanted to like the covert but I was not fully satisfied with it. The soda I think should be the blue print for what frames need to be. You can create an am/downhill/freeride bike super versatile. I used to ride clipped in also and went back to platforms and have really been having fun I makes me want to ride more often because it is fun. Pretty stocked on the bike I think you will start seeing more and more of them.

mtbr member

Dh Build?

This bike has really caught my attention.

Does anyone out there have this rig build up for full on DH style? I mostly ride at Highland mtb park in NH and do a good mix of machine built jump trails and natural DH tracks. How does the Soda handle the chunky DH stuff? I think I would build it up with a dual crown, and DH wheels/ tires.

This rig looks great, and seems affordable.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I can't imagine this bike not being able to handle anything DH related unless extremely rough but I would think it would not have any issues in that either, very stout frame. If you put a serious wheel set and dual crown it would be a mean little DH bike IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    How does the Soda handle the chunky DH stuff?
    I can't really say how it would ride with a dual crown, but he soda kills chunk in long travel mode. Even with the air can its so active and plush despite you actually put a little more air into the shock for use in long travel due to change in leverage rate. I've seen bikes called "mini dh"; I would call it that.

I think it would be a great dh/freeride bike with a dual crown. And the good thing is you could set it up to where the measurements keep the intended geo intact with head angle and balanced feel. Only thing is the chainstays are a lot shorter than I think most dh bikes, so not exactly a dh race bike. Depends on the goal of the build.

The bike was designed for resort riding though. I think a big single crown like 66 or totem paired with coil and the right wheels would be perfect.

mtbr member
    I can't really say how it would ride with a dual crown, but he soda kills chunk in long travel mode. Even with the air can its so active and plush despite you actually put a little more air into the shock for use in long travel due to change in leverage rate. I've seen bikes called "mini dh"; I would call it that.

I think it would be a great dh/freeride bike with a dual crown. And the good thing is you could set it up to where the measurements keep the intended geo intact with head angle and balanced feel. Only thing is the chainstays are a lot shorter than I think most dh bikes, so not exactly a dh race bike. Depends on the goal of the build.

The bike was designed for resort riding though. I think a big single crown like 66 or totem paired with coil and the right wheels would be perfect.
    Thanks for the thoughts. Can you adjust the chainstays while staying in the longer travel mode? ie- long travel short stays? The numbers on this rig look great, its like a lower, more versatile Blindside.

Also, does anyone have info on the 2013 Soda? There does not seem to be any large 2012's in the states and I am guessing I will have to wait until next years frames are out to get my hands on one. BTI, the US distributor does not have any large frames at least...

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Can you adjust the chainstays while staying in the longer travel mode? ie- long travel short stays?
    NS says no, although I'm not sure why.

Makes me wonder if its something benign like they didnt like the way it handled in that setting or something like a durability or functionality issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Setting short CS in long travel mode might potentially / on paper result with the tyre hitting the seattube before the shock bottoms out. In reality it will happen only with big fat 2.5" tyres. Tyres up to 2.3-2.35" wont be affected so you could try & review the missing 4th setup If you have any doubts about tyre size vs seattube just check the clearance with no air in the shock first.

small change is geo for next year model:
    2012 Soda seat tube: M: 393mm (15.5"), L: 417mm (16.5")
    2013 Soda seat tube: M: 393mm (15.5"), L: 432mm (17")

2013 Soda will be available in three colours (silver-blue now gloss instead of matt, chrome-fluo gloss instead of silver-lime matt, black pearl gloss)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just bought a 180mm fork for mine which I will swap out with my 160mm I am looking forward to setting it up more for free ride I hope I like it with the 180.

mtbr member
    I just bought a 180mm fork for mine which I will swap out with my 160mm I am looking forwd to setting it up more for free ride I hope I like it with the 180.
    Are able to keep your 160 m fork too or will you have to sell it? Having a light 160 m fork and a big 180 to swap back and forth would be ideal. Really the totem would be ideal if it wasnt too heavy for trail riding

I've had mine in 160m/ short cs mode for a while now and im loving it. It is so nice for tight tech east coast style trails and riding jumps drops and skinnies

I've noticed that in short cs mode I can run more sag than I would normally would for trail riding because the platform is always right where you want it even with the shock set up plusher

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Bike looks great

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just put the 180 on the Soda, I think the bike was built for that fork! Has anyone tried the rp23 on the bike for just trail riding? I like the monarch but would like to have a lighter shock for trail use and the coil for larger stuff.

mtbr member

Follow up - Feedback on Custy Service

I wanted to add a little more to this thread since I have had an experience dealing with NS customer service.

Sorry, I just cant describe this without being long-winded as usual...

Several rides after I bought the frame I noticed a tiny amount of play somewhere on the bike; however, I very quickly isolated it to the rearward shock mount hardware. I further boiled it down to the interface between the bolt and the pin. By pin, I mean the part between your bolt and the DU bushing inside the shock eyelet....basically the inner dia of the pin was just slightly too big for the bolt.

As soon as I knew what it was, I basically didnt really care because I figured it couldnt do any harm.

Fast forward a few months, and I decided to see if I could get this pesky issue solved. I to contacted NS, interested to see how things would go.

Well, I got what I consider an incredible level of customer service...from ANY company, let alone one half way around the world where English is not the native language.

First off, they were incredibly responsive and obviously were a lot more concerned about this little annoyance than I was. I never did the math, but I would always get such a fast email response from them I'd think, "wait, what time is it in Poland right now?".

Second, they made it really easy on me. They didnt require me to take pictures or anything, but rather established a level of mutual understanding through some email exchanges.

Third, the solution, and I found this really surprising: they implemented a 2 part solution. They 1) had a quick replacement part made at a machine shop, which they sent as soon as it was available so that they could get me sorted as quickly as possible then 2) ran a batch of CNC detailed black permanent replacements made close to them which I got about a month after the first replacement.

Well, me being lazy, the first replacement worked just fine so the second is just sitting in my garage, but I'm sure it will be fine just putting the pin through it off the bike.

Thanks NS

PS: the NS guys were not aware I was the author of this thread at the time of my service request, but I did mention it to them after the problem was resolved. They were really cool about it, thanking me for my feedback and asking a few of my thoughts, etc...

mtbr member

One other comment from my initial review

One follow-up from my initial review regarding the use of the clear plastic sheath I used to protect my shifter cables. I initially wrote:

There is also optional clear plastic tubes to protect your cables where they exit the downtube and enter the chainstays. I chose to use mine. It is big enough to where its pinned in pretty tight between the big lower pivot and my chainguide. However, I have no problem with this as it aint causin no harm or drag on pivot movement...rather, it looks very neatly tucked away.

Well, in Nov I had to replace my shifter cable due to driving the bike into a cable cord while mounted on my rack, and I did notice some rubbing evident where I had described it being wedged in between the chainguide plate and the lower pivot. Nothing bad, just starting to rub the anno a bit.

So I strung it back up without the clear coating sheath, and its all good. There is now wiggle room so I'm not worried about excessive wear. I'm also not worried about the cable itself...it really isnt very exposed in the first place. Especially when you compare to some bikes that route cables all the way down the underside of the downtube and around the bottom bracket

I'm pretty sure thats the only other relevant info I have. Other than that, I've had the bike in short travel / short chain stay since the time of the initial review and it is the bees knees in this setting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This is intersting I had the same issue but I guess I usually try to figure out issues on my own before I call companies. I put two tiny washers on each side of the bolts on the shock which solved the play issue for me. Have not touched it since. I was wondering if I was the only one with the issue and since I hate play on my bike I had to figure it out. I also had the issue with the 12mm axel which I also fixed very easily. All in all great bike so far.

mtbr member
    This is intersting I had the same issue but I guess I usually try to figure out issues on my own before I call companies. I put two tiny washers on each side of the bolts on the shock which solved the play issue for me. Have not touched it since. I was wondering if I was the only one with the issue and since I hate play on my bike I had to figure it out. I also had the issue with the 12mm axel which I also fixed very easily. All in all great bike so far.
    I hate play too but as soon as I realized what it was I didn't care much. that's why I like the security of beefy pivots..they seem so durable. you can grab the new hardware free from NS I'd you ever felt like emailing them. I know they have fixed the issue for all current and future customers and have replacements for those that need it

With the 12 m axle are you referring to thick paint in the axle mount? I had that but it was a non-issue

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yea I had the thick paint issue but I used a bit of sand paper and good to go.

Braugh Bro.
    Hey has anyone built up an NS soda with a standard QR hub? Or could anyone verify whether or not that would work? I want a Soda frame, but I don't want to have to get a new rear hub laced in.

mtbr member
    buggyr, you're good to go as long as its for a 135 x 10, which it almost certainly is.

what is your current bike and what is the hub? a lot of hubs can be converted/upgraded pretty easy, in which case you wouldnt have to but it is worth it performance wise

Braugh Bro.
    Its a 2009 diamondback scapegoat (standard 9mm qr) with an SLX hub. I was just asking because I have only seen them with through axles, and have seen no definitive answer (says 10mm "bolt type" on the NS website which led me to think it might not work with the standard 9mm qr.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    Its a 2009 diamondback scapegoat (standard 9mm qr) with an SLX hub. I was just asking because I have only seen them with through axles, and have seen no definitive answer (says 10mm "bolt type" on the NS website which led me to think it might not work with the standard 9mm qr.
    all rear hubs are 10mm qr. 9mm qr is only a fork thing. Oh and it's fairly easy to convert most shimano hubs to bolt on (it's worth it!) with about $10 in parts. Makes a HUGE difference in stiffness. You just need a wheels manufacturing 174mm solid 10x1mm Wheels Manufacturing AXLE-06

that is to say, you can run your standard hub, but it would be worth your time to convert your hub to a bolt on configuration.

Apologies for the derail; but I hopefully that helps!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Soda flying!

My NS Soda build-santos_sm.jpg

Confused
    That was next on my list. Toss up between the Rune and the Soda. I picked up a Rune. Sweet bike man!!!
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how is the bunnyhop ability of this bike?
    I am looking at getting a nice playful full suspension bike but would like to still be able to hop over logs, onto ledges and enjoy a bit of street riding.
    I ride an Evil Faction hardtail (more a dirt jump style bike) at the moment which I love, and tend to think the Soda may be too much bike?

Cheers
    Benno

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You can build it in the 28-32 pound range "light", you can hope it over anything as long as you can. You can also build it burlier, I consider this bike more freeride then anything as far as how the bike feels. Its a tank but not super heavy and it best pedaling bike in comparison to, covert, bottle rocket, tie with the heckler but better feeling suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benno25 View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how is the bunnyhop ability of this bike?
    I am looking at getting a nice playful full suspension bike but would like to still be able to hop over logs, onto ledges and enjoy a bit of street riding.
    I ride an Evil Faction hardtail (more a dirt jump style bike) at the moment which I love, and tend to think the Soda may be too much bike?

Cheers
    Benno
    No need for apologies; bump this thread all you want haha

but I agree with badpichu: this is a freeride bike that can be pedaled. its meant to be plush enough to handle burly lines at speed and big hucks in the mountains. it bunny hops great for what it is but will not come close to substituting in situations that really call for a hardtail

are you saying you want it to replace the faction and do basically the same type of riding as the faction was made for? if so i think it is too much bike

mtbr member
    Although I will disagree on one point, I don't see how you could get anywhere close to 28lbs with this frame with parts that make sense for intended purpose

My build is fairly weight concious and its pushing close to 34lbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would like a bike that keeps the playfullness of the hardtail (e.g. good for jumps, manuals and bunnyhops) as much as possible but with the following additions.

1. A longer front end, or slacker head tube angle. On downhill and rocky sections the hardtail feels too short in the front and is easy to go over the handlebars on.

2. Comfort on longer rides. I'd like to be able to put the seat up on longer rides and have a more comfortable riding position. I will generally be riding with the seat down once at a trail etc.

3. Some suspension in the rear. I'd like something that soaks up the bumps a little better over rocky sections and gives better traction. I'd also like it to take the edge off the hardtail when landing jumps/drops etc.

The bike will mainly be ridden on fairly flat trails with some jumps, drops and the occasional rough rocky section and logs to bunnyhop. Any climbs or downhill sections are usually pretty short where I live, and I tend to push the bike up a lot of sections and enjoy the ride down. I also like to do a little bit of street riding, going up and off kerbs, practicing getting my manuals better etc.

The Soda sounds like a great bike, however I'm not sure if it will be a little too much for what I'm after and I don't think any of the bike shops where I live have them to test. I'm thinking something lighter, with less suspension travel, but similar playful geometry may be better suited?

Hope that all makes sense.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Not going to go into too much detail about my build, but I had it at around that weight, I was using a fox float 36 which helps on the weight department. Also had hans dampf set up tubless on stans flows. I was using a monarch air shock. etc.. I had mine at 28-29 pounds. I was using a super light cassette x.0 very light components formula very light brakes. Taking some abuse either way if my scale was broken! haha

mtbr member
    ok ok, yeah man, i remember now; your build was crazy nice. I stand corrected on build weight. so it sounds like you changed your setup? still riding the soda? diff build?

as for benno's question, I am still inclined to put you off the soda. what youre describing you want in suspension action is exactly what guys are doing when they ride slopstyle bikes as trail bikes. NS has the slope version of the soda, nukeproof, rocky mountain, etc... have 'em. But those slope bikes are real niche bikes, and you'd really need to know exactly what you're after to end up with the right ride

aside from suspension action, you need something that will accelerate a bit faster since you will have to pedal up to speed to hit some features instead of always relying on gravity. the last thing I need is a third bike, but the bike i would recommend is the one that i would buy if i won the lottery: the specialized stumpjumper evo (carbon or alu depending on budget). it would sit between hardtail and burly freeride bike, but it has playful aggressive geometry. its a safe bet; you are pretty much guaranteed to love it

check it out: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guid...58#review-1093

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I am riding the black market Roam, which is my dream bike. The soda was over kill for my trails. I was riding the roam prototype and as soon as it went in production I got it again. The soda as is def the best frame all in all I have ever had because of all the adjustability. My roam is just that much better that I can make it any wheel size I please. Two bikes that are in their own as far as adjustability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the feedback guys, gives me a few more options to look at. I originally was looking at the NS Soda Slope and similar bikes, however decided to look at something more designed for riding trails with a longer front end and better for downhill.

The Specialized Stumpjumper seems like something I'm after, has some nice short chainstays and a reasonably slack front end. I won't be going for the Carbon version unless I win lotto also though. The review on it sounds great.

The roam sounds good too, however I think it may be too much bike like the Soda. That and I'm not interested in running larger wheels at all.

Two other bikes I have been looking at are the Turner 5 Spot and the Yeti SB66, two brands that my local bike shop sells. I am liking the sound of the Yeti having minimal bobbing up and down whilst pedaling and from reviews it sounds like a fun playful bike that likes to go fast. I'm just not sure if I should be looking for something with shorter chainstays? I'd like to take them for a test ride and compare them with something like the Stuntjumper.

Thanks for the help.
    Time for some test rides!!

mtbr member
    Nice man, now you are headed in the right direction. The sb66 is more on par travel wise with the speshy enduro. And the 5 spot is like the stumpy in terms of travel. Its a difference of 5" vs 6" travel and a bit of weight that goes with it

Going from Soda to Roam...weak spot for sick, rare bikes...I can identify with that. Truthfully the soda is overkill for about half of the riding I do on it but when i get it in its sweet spot its one hell of a good time

The soda is still my dream bike...I'm gonna ride it until I get too old and my body demands a 5" carbon trail bike, haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Greetings from Australia

First post and all
    heres mine:

Frame - NS Soda Freeride 2012
    Rear shock - Rock Shox monarch plus
    Front fork - FOX 36 Talas 180mm/140mm
    Handlebars - Sunline
    Stem - Thomson 50mm
    Headset - FSA
    Grips - ODI Rogue
    Saddle - Fizik Tundra
    Seatpost - BBB 400mm 30.9
    Front brake - Shimano XT goodridge brake lines.
    Rear brake -Shimano XT goodridge brake lines.
    Cranks - Truvativ Noir with 35T e13 chainring
    Chainguide - e13 LG1 guide
    Chain - Shimano XT
    Pedals - Straitline defacto
    Rear derailleur - Shimano Zee (9 speed mod)
    Rear shifter - Sram X0
    Cassette - Shimano XT 11-34 9 Speed
    Front hub - Novatec
    Rear hub - Novatec
    Front rim - Spank Oozy
    Rear rim - Spank Oozy
    Tyres - Maxxis Ardent front and Hutchison Toro rear (just trying out as is at the moment, I'll swap them around soon)
    Tubes - Tubeless
    Total weight - 15.2Kg

My NS Soda build-p4250801.jpg

I had a question to those who have this frame, I'd like to internally route the rear brake line, how did you do it? Can someone provide a photo? I have read the manual and contacted NS directly, both haven't been really clear.

Thanks.

Chil

mtbr member
    Welcome and nice bike!

I have been using the same zee rear derailleur 9speed trick for a couple months now, and it has to be the best possible 1x9 setup

As far as running your brake internal, I never did it because I thought it involved more work than it was worth (I'm also running my shifter external now)

You will need to: 1) drain your brake fluid )2 detach your caliper From the cables 3) feed the cables through your frame just like you did the shifter cable 4) cut your cable to the exact length needed 5) re attach the caliper to the cable 6) put new brake fluid in, bleed your brake and adjust it...kindof a lot of squeeze for a little juice if you ask me

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for welcome, I understand the process that will be required for routing the rear brake internally (just want a clean look overall), I guess I should have been clearer, I am unsure how to route from the hole on the down tube to the left swing arm internal hole, just can't seem to work out the cleanest way to do it (best overall crank arm clearance etc), I'll try it out once I have some time.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Chil are you running the 180mm fork with the frame set up at 6" travel, any reason? Just curious

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just trying out settings really, the Talas has gone, I feel it's either too much fork or not enough fork 180-140mm settings. I am on the verge of getting a BOS vip'r to try out too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So I now have it setup as I want it, except I want some chromag OSX bars in blue for it. The BOS shock is fantastic, I'll see if the BOS guys here in Australia can do a tune specific to the Soda frame at some stage. I have the VIP01 tune once I get more saddle time I'll decide if I will bother with the custom tune or not.
    My NS Soda build-ns-soda-finals.jpg

mtbr member
    thanks gridtalker for the compliments. will follow up with some more long term thoughts this summer as i'll have been on it a year. but the headlines wont change...love it

Quote Originally Posted by Chil View Post
    So I now have it setup as I want it, except I want some chromag OSX bars in blue for it. The BOS shock is fantastic, I'll see if the BOS guys here in Australia can do a tune specific to the Soda frame at some stage. I have the VIP01 tune once I get more saddle time I'll decide if I will bother with the custom tune or not.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NS Soda finals.jpg 
Views:	4826 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	799428
    Chill, nice finishing touches. hows the shifting with your sram/zee trick running it internal? I ask because there were two reasons I went with external routing when i set up my sram x0 9 speed / zee der: 1) lazyness (admittedly this played a much bigger role in the decision than the next reason) and 2) i thought going internal might require two more-than-desirable bends in the cable that might not play nice for smooth shifting over time; one at the BB area and one between where the cable exits the chainstay and hooks to the der

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks gridtalker for the compliments. will follow up with some more long term thoughts this summer as i'll have been on it a year. but the headlines wont change...love it

Chill, nice finishing touches. hows the shifting with your sram/zee trick running it internal? I ask because there were two reasons I went with external routing when i set up my sram x0 9 speed / zee der: 1) lazyness (admittedly this played a much bigger role in the decision than the next reason) and 2) i thought going internal might require two more-than-desirable bends in the cable that might not play nice for smooth shifting over time; one at the BB area and one between where the cable exits the chainstay and hooks to the der
    The bends haven't been a issue, the shifting is very positive and crisp doesn't miss shift at all, just make sure you use a long enough outer, that you can cut down.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anyone ridden the Soda FR with a coil shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Db427 View Post
    Has anyone ridden the Soda FR with a coil shock?
    No, i have not, although I have changed my setup to marz coil forks up front, but still using monarch plus shock.

one thing you gotta remember if you do is that you will need 2 different springs to use in long and short travel modes if you want to be able to swap between the two settings.

The two travel modes have significantly different leverage. You will need a stiffer spring in long travel mode than short travel mode. in terms of my air shock, i put roughly 25% more PSI in my shock when switching from short to long travel (and that still gives me a bit more sag in long travel mode)

however, that doesnt mean it wouldnt be worth it. the monarch is great but it does heat up while going fast over a long distance of very rough terrain (which can decrease sensitivity and action). probably worth considering if doing laps in bike park, although there are also air shocks that are supposedly better with heat: cane creek, RS vivid, maybe bos

mtbr member
    May 2013
    sweet thanks, was wondering because from most of the forums suggest that a coil shock/ suspension is the way to go? even if climbing forms a big part of your usual route. depending on whether this is true or not will determine which bike i decide to get the soda fr or the soda air.

mtbr member
    Guys, little tip I thought of to update this thread regarding the bolts that hold the der hanger on.

I ride in an area with a lot grit and grime, and those little bolts sometimes would get really stuck. Also, when this happened the allen key used on those is too small to turn the bolt and break them free, and they would strip. When these get stuck you have two choices that I know of: bend the hanger so much as to ruin it but in doing so break the screws free OR dremel out the screws I've done both and, yeah, not fun.

See the picture (its old; deraillment services handled by Zee now).

I found some bolts at hardware store that use a larger allen key. I've been using these for 6 mos or so and havnt had issues with them getting stuck like the original bolts. I used small spacers under them. Nothing super clever here; just posting in case it is helpful. If you ride in a wet and gritty environment, I advise you install some of these before you need them.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure NS has designed a fix for this issue in next year's model

Cheers to an upcoming long weekend aboard the NS Soda

My NS Soda build-der-hanger-bolts.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hello to all Soda riders out there!

I've just created account on this forum, because i need a wee bit of help with building my own Soda and I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. Right now I'm at a process of buying a Soda FR frame only without a shock, because I'll build it with RS Monarch Plus RC3.
    Here's the problem. Those shocks comes with high/standard volume oil can and in low/mid/high tune. Despite the fact I've been riding bikes for quite some time now, I still don't know how to find the best fitting shock for given frame/suspension type. It would be great if there's someone out there who could help me with that. I've seen that RS leverage&/tune chart, but really don't know how to use it. So any info. would be well appreciated.

Again, thanks for any information in advance!

Rok

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kinserk View Post
    Hello to all Soda riders out there!

I've just created account on this forum, because i need a wee bit of help with building my own Soda and I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. Right now I'm at a process of buying a Soda FR frame only without a shock, because I'll build it with RS Monarch Plus RC3.
    Here's the problem. Those shocks comes with high/standard volume oil can and in low/mid/high tune. Despite the fact I've been riding bikes for quite some time now, I still don't know how to find the best fitting shock for given frame/suspension type. It would be great if there's someone out there who could help me with that. I've seen that RS leverage&/tune chart, but really don't know how to use it. So any info. would be well appreciated.

Again, thanks for any information in advance!

Rok
    standard/medium - that is what is comparable to the regular monarch plus that came stock on mine

i believe the only people that would want the low or high compression option would be those at the far fringes of the weight range

excellent shock choice. the regular monarch plus performs awesome, but would have been nice to have the rc3 to add damping for non-technical climbing

mtbr member
    May 2013
    standard/medium - that is what is comparable to the regular monarch plus that came stock on mine

i believe the only people that would want the low or high compression option would be those at the far fringes of the weight range

excellent shock choice. the regular monarch plus performs awesome, but would have been nice to have the rc3 to add damping for non-technical climbing
    Thanks for response. I gues i'll go for standard/mid tune then, probably will work for me (80kg/176lbs) without gear. I'm really stoked about building a new bike and will post some pictures of the bike when I'll get it build up, but that will probably take some time, since I'm building new wheel set at the same time

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Another question.

Is anyone riding Long frame and is 6' tall? I'm yet to find someone near me to give it a try for size fit. I'm not worried about park FR set up, but am planing to do a lot of climbing with AM set up so I'm a bit worried that frame would be to short for me. I will also be using RS reverb, which is 380cm long when fully extended, so I'm also worried about seat tube length. Any thoughts?

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

Quote Originally Posted by kinserk View Post
    Thanks for response. I gues i'll go for standard/mid tune then, probably will work for me (80kg/176lbs) without gear. I'm really stoked about building a new bike and will post some pictures of the bike when I'll get it build up, but that will probably take some time, since I'm building new wheel set at the same time
    I'm almost sure that the three different tunes are referring to the leverage ratio of the suspension not the weight of the rider you -\+ air depending on weight. Right? I could be wrong.

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

I need help ! Des anyone know how to contact ns. I've emailed them 3 times no response been checking my junk mail too. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallen4520 View Post
    I need help ! Des anyone know how to contact ns. I've emailed them 3 times no response been checking my junk mail too. Thanks
    The one time I emailed them I remember thinking they responded really quick, but don't remember how long it took. They might be busy or something but I'm sure they will respond as long as they got your message

What's the problem?

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

The one time I emailed them I remember thinking they responded really quick, but don't remember how long it took. They might be busy or something but I'm sure they will respond as long as they got your message

What's the problem?
    Thanks for answering. I'm missing a spacer on the top tube pivot for the rocker and the rubber grommet for the head tube found the rocker kit on lama cycles but didn't want to pay for the whole kit when I just need a spacer. And have not found an internal cable kit for sale yet

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm sure NS will sort you out, but if it was me I'd first hold the company I bought it from responsible. If that fails maybe lama and ask if they'd be able to sell only a spacer....since even when NS sends it, it could take a while to arrive if youre not in Europe

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

Well it's used so can't go that route it's been 2 weeks since my first email to ns. So if any one has some extra parts ill buy em.

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

Yeah I'm sure NS will sort you out, but if it was me I'd first hold the company I bought it from responsible. If that fails maybe lama and ask if they'd be able to sell only a spacer....since even when NS sends it, it could take a while to arrive if youre not in Europe
    How did you get ahold of ns still no luck. I did find a rubber grommet that fits the frame and a machine shop make a spacer I didn't want to pay 80 bucks for one spacer. Did you just use the email on there site? By the way the soda is a lot of fun. It loves to be in the air. pedals pretty good for the type of bike it is My NS Soda build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373661177.168326.jpg

mtbr member
    I emailed them to whatever email is listed. They are pretty busy guys. I don't know and can't speak for them, but if I was them I wouldn't be concerned with your issue since you bought used. Did you ever try to get it from the seller? Probably in his garage somewhere.
    I was also thinking you might solve it with a trip to a good hardware store.

Looks like a nice build you got!

I've had mine a year now, and there still isn't any bike I'd rather have. The only thing better I can think of is a carbon version with just a slightly more upright seat tube

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

I still wish they would reply I know it's small parts and they are half way around the world and it doesn't matter if its ues or not just email me back and point me in the right direction. Anyways I got a spacer and a grommet on and I'm ridin. really fun bike

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

Has anybody tried to fit a CCdb air or a vivid on a soda yet

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My bike build.
    Crank has been replaced with XT M77x Crank.
    Weight: 14.8kg

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

In her natural environment My NS Soda build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374876933.870342.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was just wondering if anyone has the FULL bearing IDs for the frame? (all 8pc of it) Soda manual and NS soda email couldn't tell me

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

Quote Originally Posted by Starrry View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has the FULL bearing IDs for the frame? (all 8pc of it) Soda manual and NS soda email couldn't tell me
    So that's not the right bearing numbers in the manual. ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    pls check few first exploaded drawings.

Soda FR - 6x #6902 [15x28x7mm] 4 for rocker arm, 2 for dropout area + 2 x #6002 [15x32x9mm] main pivot above BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just picked up the Soda Air today. The bike was shipped wrong and had a fair bit of ugly scratches near the bottom of the downtube, so I got a nice little bit off the sticker price. I was going to build up a frame, but then they came out with the prebuilt air which is close enough to the build I was going to do that I had to snap it up. Haven't tried it long travel mode in the park yet but short travel/long stays rips it pretty hard on the trails/little non lift DH. I was surprised about how light this bike is and how nice a pedaling platform it is (mind you I prefer a bike with only 15% rear sag).

Will be racing in Ontario's first enduro (I know) on the 25th with this bike.

I've already put a 32 tooth chainring out front, and I'll probably get a 60/70mm slight riser stem and 720mm high riser bars for general trail ripping. I like the stock set up but it's a bit on the downhill side for my regular use. Stock feels a fair bit on the short side when the seat is fully extended. Perfect when the seat is dropped a bit though, but I am not a small man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi guys. Thanks so much for your reviews and thoughts on the Soda. I have been looking at this bike for over a year but like previous comments there have been very few reviews for this bike. After reading all your posts and to be honest in need of a new toy, I have purchased the FR1. It's currently being built so should hopefully have it next week. I'll post pics when it arrives. God damn I can't wait for it to arrive

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

What's up guys. Chain reaction is now stocking small parts for the soda like the internal cable routing kit and other stuff. So look up chain reaction and lama cycles and it was way easier to get ahold of ns for me thru pink bike if that helps anybody out

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My NS Soda build-ns-soda-fr.jpg

Arrived yesterday, had an awesome ride

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

Sweet ride

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

Did you guys check out euro bike ns had a downhill bike and a new enduro fn bad ass. Check out pinkbike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallen4520 View Post
    Did you guys check out euro bike ns had a downhill bike and a new enduro fn bad ass. Check out pinkbike
    Oh yah! the flip chip on the dh bike that changes both travel and chainstay length by a little bit is genius for that bike and probably a first for any bike

and if you noticed the updated transition tr450, they went full throttle adding geometry adjustments similar to the soda and then a few above and beyond...looks incredible, actually

the snabb (so hard not to call it the snubb) enduro bike came as a surprise since there had been so much good hub-bub before the soda and dh. If I was considering one, I would want all the deets on how a bike is supposed to handle great with both wheel sizes not that I doubt it, really. they both look awesome and fast.

I was going to eventually post up my long term thoughts on the soda, but: After over a year, its been very solid. It easily held up to anything I could dish out riding (and crashing) wise, but it also held up to a lot of nasty, wet & gritty riding conditions and flying loose rocks and debris really well too.

The adjustable travel and geo is by far the best aspect of the bike and I really enjoyed taking advantage of that. Its great not having to make compromises to do backcountry trail riding and bikeparks well on the same bike. Otherwise its fun and covers your a$$ when you get squirrely.

EDIT: adding current build. short travel, short chainstay mode. crappy cell pics but i think they show how compact the bike is in this mode...different ride entirely. The soda really shined in big bike mode at the bike parks this summer, but it was such a nice change to set it up like this for epic trail rides in the fall.

Prominent component changes this year include marz forks and shimano zee drive train and brakes...

My NS Soda build-img_20130901_162922_zps92a676a6.jpg

My NS Soda build-img_20130901_155108_zps6f3d778b.jpg

and one in big bike mode a few weeks ago for comparison:

My NS Soda build-img_20130816_080215_zps03848728.jpg
    Last edited by ride the biscuit; 09-04-2013 at 05:32 AM. Reason: adding more info with no need to bump the thread up to the top

mtbr member
    I've also been watching this thread for a while and appreciate those who have posted.

How heavy are you guys? Just asking cause I'm a clyde, and it's hard to tell how a bike would ride for me (never know if the reviews are by lighter riders or those around 200lbs like me).

I'm also really interested in the long travel settings. How progressive is the long travel mode? anyone bottom harsh? At the bike park does the suspension handle braking bumps and chunk? Anyone try a dual crown?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    I've also been watching this thread for a while and appreciate those who have posted.

How heavy are you guys? Just asking cause I'm a clyde, and it's hard to tell how a bike would ride for me (never know if the reviews are by lighter riders or those around 200lbs like me).

I'm also really interested in the long travel settings. How progressive is the long travel mode? anyone bottom harsh? At the bike park does the suspension handle braking bumps and chunk? Anyone try a dual crown?
    hey, my response will only be a little bit useful for you. i'm like 186lobs, so no lightweight but not a clyde. but i would recommend this bike to a heavy rider...it can certainly take the extra punishment

I find the suspension curve well controlled (I run at or just a few pts under 30% sag in both travel modes). It protects incredibly well against bottom out but its a smooth transition from mid-stroke to the last bit of stroke. In over a year, i have actually only blown the travel indicator completely off the shock shaft once that I can think of ....and that was in short travel, short chainstay mode riding some hairy tech trails, not at a bike park. And even then I never actually felt a hard bottom.

EDIT: tested the shocks ability to bottom out with no air and it will push the o-ring just to the edge of the shaft. So that means, YES, this thing ramps up like crazy at the end and ready for the hate Huck.

ORIGINAL: Now i think there could be 2 reasons i never blow the o ring off the shock: either it REALLY ramps up at the very end or the shock may actually bottom out before the ring would be off the shaft (i have been too lazy to test that by simply removing air from the shock and bottoming it) or a combo of the two. Its hard to call it progressive because its not at all like you blow through the mid and then feel a jarring ramp up....its smooth all the way, but yes it definitely ramps against bottom out.

At same sag %, long travel mode will reserve even more protection against bottom out while also being more supple in first portion than that of short travel.

To answer your last question I must preface that I am a relatively inexperienced when it comes to bike parks due to accessibility AND I have never spent any real time on an actual DH rig with DC fork. There were some pretty serious braking bumps at a few of the berms in winter park this summer, and the soda handled them fine in general, but I am sure a full on DH bike with 200+ mm would have smoothed them out even more.

Overall, i could see owning the soda as a park only rig and Im sure there are many happy owners that do...too bad they're not on mtbr, ha

On an unrelated note, I put an old bomproof but bald Spechy tubless tire on rear to be lighter and more importantly roll faster than my minion, and put on my 55 fork in short travel mode and the thing climbed so incredibly well. So fun going up techy climbs with advanced power moves like getting up & over steep rock slabs and such...i have done many big climbs on the bike but in its current guise, it climbs so great I'm really inspired to go out and hammer up something technical.
    Last edited by ride the biscuit; 09-20-2013 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post

Hey there,

I'm about 210 lbs, 220 with all park gear & water. The bike rides very well, still very stiff for my weight. I've ridden some other bikes lauded for their stiffness and they've felt a little squirrely under my girth. The soda certainly does not.

The thing I would worry about is your height and preferred set-up. It's perfect for park/jump riding, but in terms of all mountain/xc, I'm 6' 2" and I couldn't really recommend the bike to someone taller unless they plan on building frame up completely or are definitely focused on things that aren't climbs.

In terms of weight for set up, I have the rockshox solo air on my bike and like to run only about 15% sag in short travel and 20% sag in long travel (boost jumps and pump everything). The issue here is that in long travel I get close to maxing out the PSI on my air shock. This isn't an issue if you prefer a slacker set up, are going to use a coil or are lighter than I am.

When talking suspension performance, I'd say it's nice. I've never come too close to bottoming out, although the largest I've ever done is 10 foot drops with nice transitions on the free ride line at my local park. The shock and setup is quite progressive, only wanting to eat into the last 20% of it's stroke when it needs to. The rear end performs well in rock gardens, doesn't eat too far into it's travel after repeated hits.

After riding it both in the bike park and on many all-mountain rides, I'd say depending on set up it can totally do both. I have a friend who set his up to ride dirt jumps and slopestyle with occasional park riding. Right now mine is in the middle, with a lyrik up front and a monarch plus out back, with a DH wheelset. Put more beef out front and a coil, and I'd say you would have a really nice, fun park bike. It's easily one of the most versatile FS frames on the market. It's stable in the air and feels big enough to handle anything you can throw at it.

Remember it's never going to be a 210mm DH race bike, it's not going to feel like one. Even with a dual crown it's still only going to have a 65% head angle and 177mm of rear travel. What it will do is feel nice in the air, remain nimble, versatile and more importantly fun.

I haven't tried a dual crown on mine yet, but I'm planning on picking up a used one to give it a whirl for when the parks open up next season. I imagine it'd be fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 34