Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Really appreciate the replies, exactly the type of info I was looking for!! Thanks

mtbr member
    Since this thread is the best I've found for soda info, I'm going to add in some more that I just got back from NS in an email.

My Questions:
    - For 2014 what changes have been made to the soda frames?
    - Has the Geometry or suspension curve changed?
    - Has the rear dropout changed on the 2014? Still 135, or is it now 142?
    - Is the frame still dual crown fork compatible?

Here is their reply:

The 2014 Soda has been improved as follows:
    -150g lighter frame
    -0,5" longer seat tube to improve pedalling position for taller riders.
    -more tyre clearance
    -improved hanger bolts
    -improved shock bolts

The rear hub standard is 135x10 and 135x12 (replacable inserts)
    It is still dual crown fork compatible.

Hope all's clear.

Thanks
    Maciek

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

The more I ride it the more I like the bike I just put all new squish on my 2012 with a CCdb air and rs lyric rc2 been playing with the tune for a week now. There's no base tune on cc website so I started with the nicoli base tune since the suspension set up is about the same. Anybody running a CCdb air ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    Since this thread is the best I've found for soda info, I'm going to add in some more that I just got back from NS in an email.

My Questions:
    - For 2014 what changes have been made to the soda frames?
    - Has the Geometry or suspension curve changed?
    - Has the rear dropout changed on the 2014? Still 135, or is it now 142?
    - Is the frame still dual crown fork compatible?

Here is their reply:

The 2014 Soda has been improved as follows:
    -150g lighter frame
    -0,5" longer seat tube to improve pedalling position for taller riders.
    -more tyre clearance
    -improved hanger bolts
    -improved shock bolts

The rear hub standard is 135x10 and 135x12 (replacable inserts)
    It is still dual crown fork compatible.

Hope all's clear.

Thanks
    Maciek
    Thanks for the info. Looks like they are just continuing on the changes from 12 to 13. If I were you I'd just pick up a 2013 frame once they go on sale, unless you really wanna weenie about 150g. On the other hand that's good they they improved the hangar bolts, as it stands it's pretty damn hard to find them.
    If you are worried about running 135 out back and not 142, don't. You won't notice a difference at all seeing as they aren't QR.

I'll be saving up my money now for the NS Soda Carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallen4520 View Post
    Anybody running a CCdb air ?

No, maybe one day after I try running with a coil. I am running a Lyrik though and it suits the bike so well! Let's see some pics!

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

Quote Originally Posted by j-t-g View Post
    Thanks for the info. Looks like they are just continuing on the changes from 12 to 13. If I were you I'd just pick up a 2013 frame once they go on sale, unless you really wanna weenie about 150g. On the other hand that's good they they improved the hangar bolts, as it stands it's pretty damn hard to find them.
    If you are worried about running 135 out back and not 142, don't. You won't notice a difference at all seeing as they aren't QR.

I'll be saving up my money now for the NS Soda Carbon

No, maybe one day after I try running with a coil. I am running a Lyrik though and it suits the bike so well! Let's see some pics!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My NS Soda build-dsc00019-copy.jpgMy NS Soda build-dsc06492-copy.jpgMy NS Soda build-dsc06494-copy.jpgMy NS Soda build-dsc06497-copy.jpgMy NS Soda build-dsc06504-copy.jpgMy NS Soda build-dsc06505-copy.jpgMy NS Soda build-dsc06521-copy.jpg

My wife's rig.
    Frame-L, 2012
    Totem Solo Air (Originally was Coil) and Magura Wotan for short travel version
    CCDB Air
    Hope V4 brakes, 203mm Venti rotors
    Sram X0 short cage, both shifters
    HammerSchmidt FR 175mm crank arms
    Spank Spike evo 777 bar 50mm rise

mtbr member
    Really appreciate everyone's input. The sale at llama cycles put me over the edge, I'll post pics when I get it built up!!!

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

Really appreciate everyone's input. The sale at llama cycles put me over the edge, I'll post pics when I get it built up!!!
    Sweet Can't wait to see it

mtbr member
    The sale at llama cycles put me over the edge
    I've been eyeing one for a year now and just snagged a large black frame. That price was too hard to pass up.

The only reason I had not gotten one is the short top tube. I'm 5'11 and like a reach of 16.9" on my trail bikes. Normally this is about a 24" TT with a 50mm stem and a Spank Spike 777. I hope I can fit it comfortably.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    hi there. i currently own a ns soda fr with boxxer and dhx coil rear..but because of an accident i will not make dh more some time..so i consider to buy a fox rp23 and a used lyrik to make the bike pedaling uphill.fisrt is it possible to built it about 14.5kg?and still is capable to pedal uphill for all mountain style?and is it better high volume fox rp23 or low volyme?thanks for the replies...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr-giorgos View Post
    hi there. i currently own a ns soda fr with boxxer and dhx coil rear..but because of an accident i will not make dh more some time..so i consider to buy a fox rp23 and a used lyrik to make the bike pedaling uphill.fisrt is it possible to built it about 14.5kg?and still is capable to pedal uphill for all mountain style?and is it better high volume fox rp23 or low volyme?thanks for the replies...
    hi, best wishes healing up. i would suggest you buy the air shock NS spec'd on the bike: RS monarch plus wtih M/M factory tune. It handles great on the soda and is still very light. It is high volume. No experience with rp23 on the soda.

The Soda definitely makes a great AM bike and can be built at or under your 14.5kg wt goal fairly easily.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    hi, best wishes healing up. i would suggest you buy the air shock NS spec'd on the bike: RS monarch plus wtih M/M factory tune. It handles great on the soda and is still very light. It is high volume. No experience with rp23 on the soda.

The Soda definitely makes a great AM bike and can be built at or under your 14.5kg wt goal fairly easily.
    the only thing that i dont like rockshox monarch is because they have issues with rebound..but if monarh is hig volume can like rp23 i will take tha chance to set it up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr-giorgos View Post
    the only thing that i dont like rockshox monarch is because they have issues with rebound..but if monarh is hig volume can like rp23 i will take tha chance to set it up
    i would assume that if people had issues with rebound, that means they chose the wrong factory setting. Makes sense since I'm 185 no gear and I am towards upper range of rebound damping on my soda in the M rebound tune (ie: if you're 200lbs or more get the high rebound tune). however, RS claim they doubled the rebound range for the latest model year

mtbr member
    Good Stuff, been waiting a long time for Antonio to do this.
    Use google translate if you don't speak Spanish.

NS Bikes Soda Air 2014 - Linkage Design

I should have pics of my frame posted soon.

mtbr member
    Just finished building it.

Took it for its shakedown ride at the university (stairs, some rocks, some ledges, etc..) and it did quite well. I was originally worried that I would bottom the shock frequently. That worry is gone! On the stairs felt plush, but still responsive. First impression is a very good one.

Have it set in long travel mode and long chainstay. I don't expect to change these settings much, but like having the option. For now fork is 160mm, but if I go somewhere worthy have a Totem coil to swap to. In similar vein, after my ride I do think I might swap to a coil shock if I decide to hit the lifts.

Regarding the build, it went smooth overall. Had to remove the shock and link to put on rear brake (hydros) but that was no big deal. The pivot hardware is really nice. The shock bolts are full of weak sauce, and will likely round and be replaced in the near future (this should be easy from the HW store).

I am really looking forward to getting this rig on the trails.

Edited minor spelling typos

My NS Soda build-img_0408.jpg

My NS Soda build-img_0406.jpg

My NS Soda build-img_0407.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My NS Soda build-img_0407.jpg  

Last edited by dansMTB; 12-27-2013 at 01:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice dude, check out the short travel mode, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised it does well there too. You gunna route the rear brake internally after the next bleed?

mtbr member
    I'm gonna keep my cables in the external guides. Old-school, creature of habit.... something like that. I also prefer threaded BB's and 20mm axles

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How do they handle rock gardens?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrin View Post
    How do they handle rock gardens?
    Stiff chassis, supple active suspension with great platform...handles awesome in rocks and technical trails

DansMTB nice black soda!!! One Question for you: have you had rims like DT ex500 or the old flows or other narrower rims in the past? how'd you compare the new flow ex with wide rim to older designs with 21mm internal width? Notice a difference?

mtbr member
    Nice dude, check out the short travel mode, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised it does well there too. You gunna route the rear brake internally after the next bleed?
    Yes I second short travel mode. For anything not gnarly enough to require it short travel handles best since your Bb and center of gravity are lower. To me that pretty much means anything except lift served.

mtbr member
    biscuit - I'm a fan of wide rims (I'll generalize round 30mm), and have had many widths over the years. I've rolled over 2.3 tires on 19mm rims, not fun when that happens(feels like a flat tire, you get the tire squirm...). For rims round 19mm, I don't like to go bigger than 2.1/small 2.2. The bigger the tire, the more if really benefits from a wider rim.

The Flow ex specifically (and I'd bet other Stans rims) - have the lower bead seat. This really does seem to add volume to the tire. So with this rim, a 2.3(real 2.3) does look like a bigger tire.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    It does help thanks. I've asked the question to a lot of riders on mtbr..to try and get a sense if real world riders echo what marketing says. And it does seem like people do notice a benefit. Some wide rims are definitely in my future at least for my front wheels and maybe both on my soda if I can pony up for a rear hub upgrade.

I'm so happy with my soda still that I am very tempted to start playing the weight game a bit and a blinged out set of light wheels with wide rims could be the ticket

Braugh Bro.
    could one of you guys with a Large NS soda be so kind as to measure the headtube length? There's no proper geometry chart I could find. And it's not on the NS website either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    could one of you guys with a Large NS soda be so kind as to measure the headtube length? There's no proper geometry chart I could find. And it's not on the NS website either.
    125mm L size 2012

Braugh Bro.
    Dang that's short. Thank you much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi mates...i have a few question to someone who have got NS Soda green one?
    I am new at this forum and i am interested in this bike very much!

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Does anyone have any experience with running a 150mm up front?

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

You might email ns or message them on pinkbike about that 150

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    In the tech docs the soda is warrantied from 150mm to 200mm. That said I've never heard of anyone running less than 160, although I've heard of people using trail adjust features to climb at 140 or so. It'll drop your bottom bracket a little and steepen up the head angle a bit. Not necessarily a bad thing. a 150 pike would probably make a sweet little jumping bike in short travel short chainstays.

I've ordered a needle bearing kit to replace the bushings on my shock, the kit to upgrade my Lyrik to the DH dampers, and a Oneup 40t cog. Pretty stoked for it all to get here!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ya, I was think of running a 150mm fork in short travel/chainstay and a 180mm for long travel/cs

mtbr member

My NS Soda build

What's up guys I weigh in at 170-175 ready to ride. What size spring do you recommend for the rear

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    NS Soda 2015 Confirmed for 650b..... The Dream is Over, boys.

mtbr member
    at least my 26" dream is alive and well. my soda is going on 2years old and I can tell its going to be in the stable for a long time. it rides perfect for bike park and backcountry shuttle missions, so its a lot more future proof than my trail bike.

mtbr member

Hopefully they keep the 16.4" chainstay flip chip. I've been doing this in 150mm mode all year and it's a blast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They called the 650b one the NS Soda EVO. Cant confirm if the flipchip makes a return, but it does have an increase in travel to 160-180mm.

I hope they keep a non-evo version that's 26".

On a less depressing front, I wish I started taking this thing to the jump lines earlier, it flies! Started learning about a month ago and I was hitting maybe 2 ft tables, now I'm up to ~8ft. tall jumps and thinking I'm gunna try learning tuck no handers and x-ups over the next few weekends.

Here's a semi-decent photo of my semi-decent rig. Figured it's about time I post one.

My NS Soda build-p4pb11471763.jpg

Spec list-
    NS Soda 13' w/ RS monarch Solo Air ~250 PSI
    Lyrik Solo Air @ 170mm ~75 PSI
    X7 Cassette W/ oneup 40 cog
    X7 R/D Med Cage
    E13 LSG1 Guide
    Generic 32t chainring
    SLX Trail pedals because I'm mad- waiting on a new pair of flat shoes
    Zee Brakes W/ Saint rotor rear and OLD saint rotor front
    Spank spike 35's mounted on Saint hubs w/ dirty 2.0 straight gauge ss spokes
    Minion DH 2.35's @ 30f/40r PSI
    KS Dropzone dropper
    Whatever DJ saddle I had lying around
    NS Evidence bars @ 766mm
    NS Quark stem @ 35mm
    Jetblack PRO Grips

If I work at an NS dealer this spring (2/3 local shops have Lamacycles accounts) I'll be looking to get a leftover 2014 Soda or a 15' (if they're 26") again and building that one up as the AM/Pedal rig and this one up as the shuttle/DJ rig. I don't want to keep swapping wheelsets for what I want to do. As it stands now I can't go to short CS mode since I have the 40tooth cog out back. There's just too much chain.

mtbr member
    nice soda JTG! Ive been waiting for my DT to wear out so I can improve on my 32/34 f/r easiest ratio. But 32/36 may be enough for where I ride.

Heres some current pics of mine 2 years later with a marz 55rc3 ti fork. Also really digging the extra rise with the zink bars.

My NS Soda build-soda1_zpsdeb8e2c7.jpg
    My NS Soda build-soda2_zps058ba3c5.jpg

Every late spring/summer I throw on a 66rc3 ti for bike park/dh and then put this on for fall & winter for shuttle and backcountry. The combo of these rc3 ti forks and this frame makes for the most ridiculous must-feel-to-believe ride quality. Its not the lightest bike so its also not the fastest, but it feels so good jumping and letting it run over rowdy terrain. It makes me feel safe and confident. I still get surprised how well it handles. Thinking about some of those LB wide carbon rims this year, cheap from someone moving to 650b, of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey guys. Great info here on the Soda. I'm currently riding a Fuzz for my DH rig, and couldn't be happier. I've owned quite a few dh bikes over the years, and can honestly say, I've never had more fun or been as fast as I am with the Fuzz. I love it.
    I have a chance to get a 2014 Soda frame for a great deal, and I had a few quick questions. I'm 6'2". I haven't seen much in this thread about sizing. I know their long in 17.5". Seems a bit small for someone my size. This will be my all around bike. XC, but I'm a pretty aggressive rider, so bigger drops are not out of the question. And I much prefer the DH parts of XC over the climbing. I'm hoping the long frame size will be big enough. I have a long reach as well. Also, what settings are you guys in for XC/all around riding? Long wheelbase and short travel or long travel? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would not recommend the soda for true XC riding. If there's a ton of climbing, or lots of tedious up and down the soda isn't made for that.

The soda is a great all around bike as long as there are large elevation changes, big high speed and technical descents.

Also if you ride true XC trails with friends, the soda will be too slow.

You can do a pretty light build on them, but it can't be made to handle like an XC bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I really wouldn't use it for epic XC rides. I don't mind suffering a bit in the climbs, so the DH will be more enjoyable. I'm more interested in if it'd be too small for a 6'2" rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaaa31 View Post
    I really wouldn't use it for epic XC rides. I don't mind suffering a bit in the climbs, so the DH will be more enjoyable. I'm more interested in if it'd be too small for a 6'2" rider.
    Kinda late on this but I'm 6' 2".

I'd say that 6' 2" is the upper limit on this bike on the 2012-14 frames. You're looking at probably at least a 375mm seatpost depending on how long your legs are. I personally run a 400 when my dropper is messed up. The frame can accommodate this, so not to worry here. In the large size they actually got a bit more seat tube each year.

The main issue would be cockpit size. The wheelbase and top tube length of this bike are pretty small as it's more of a play bike than a speed machine. If you're used to raked out endro/dh rigs then this guy'll probably feel small.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Heres My Ns soda Air, all I've done is changed the seat dropper for a reverb and fitted a Hope 40T expander ring that was very simple. Im 5ft 10 and the frame is a large that is a perfect fit, not sure if the cockpit would be a bit small for anyone larger.

I've been after a do it all bike for a while as i managed to crack the frame on my Giant Reign and cant afford a trail bike and Dh bike at the moment.
    So far i've been on local Xc rides and to coed brenin in wales that involves some pretty steep climbs and great descents, i found that the bike climbs pretty well and that you don't notice the weight also if you wind out the rebound on the rear shock it almost feels like a hard tail thats great if theres a big hill to climb, just need to remember how many turns out to reset the rear shock.
    Right as for descending, this bike just comes alive with a real playful feel that just begs you to jump everything in sight, i can't wait to get to Revolution bike park in Wales for some proper Dh to put it through its paces.(Hopfully looking at getting rear coil for Dh riding)

To anyone thinking about this bike i cant praise it enough. The only thing i can pick at is becsuse the bike is shiny black it scratches easily but i covered it with Heli tape so thats not a problem.
    My NS Soda build-soda.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here.

Hi all,

How was the quality and finish on your Soda frames ? Like head tube welds, frame alignment, hardware, finish, etc. ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hi all the welding around the head is very clean and looks fine and I'm very happy with the build quality.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks! Finally, I bought one in the meantime and received it. Build quality is nice indeed! Can't wait to build it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I really wish they'd make one bigger than 17.5". At 6'2" I'm just reluctant to order one as this would be my do it all bike, IE pedaling too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The 2015 are longer (around 1" more top tube if I remember correctly), but same seat tube size. I'm 5'9" and the Large (17.5) was borderline too short for my tastes, but they had a good price on it at Lama Cycles in Canada.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quality of the build is great, but the paint falls off for anything.

The 2015's are indeed bigger but they are also 650b. Tradeoffs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ive got 1 8th tapered forks at the moment and i've got the opportunity get my hands on some boxxers for Dh duties. would i just need to change the top bearing to 1 5th to take the bigger head tube?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Which NS Soda should I get? CRC has a 2013 FR1 (totem) Medium for a good deal. The 2014 is large but coms with the lyric coil r. I am 5'11" (180cm) and 175 lbs. Mostly want this to be a park bike.
    Please stop telling me about your quiver, it makes me feel unclean...

http://www.mistermcfeely.com
    <- My Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hey guys, I currently have an Intense tracer but am looking to get something a little more playful that can handle bigger hits... Do you guys think a 2012 ns soda fr with a rockshox air shock would be a good choice... i was also looking at a 2014 frame but its about $300 more for me would it be worthtit? I would build the bike up with:
    Fox 36 160 talas
    Shimano slx/xt/xtr parts 32 chainring
    answer dh bars
    shimano xt front wheel and stans flow ex rear
    shwalbe front and maxxis rear tires

what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by intensetracer22 View Post
    Hey guys, I currently have an Intense tracer but am looking to get something a little more playful that can handle bigger hits... Do you guys think a 2012 ns soda fr with a rockshox air shock would be a good choice... i was also looking at a 2014 frame but its about $300 more for me would it be worthtit? I would build the bike up with:
    Fox 36 160 talas
    Shimano slx/xt/xtr parts 32 chainring
    answer dh bars
    shimano xt front wheel and stans flow ex rear
    shwalbe front and maxxis rear tires

what do you guys think?
    I'm still riding my first model year soda. I haven't touched the bearings and I ride in some pretty nasty conditions. I'd love to know how many sodas have come back broken for warrant...I assume it's a small #. They are tanks

Still, I do have a lighter more nimble bike that I enjoy on more XC type trails. But for park riding, shuttling, chunk and big hits the soda is just about perfect. I think it's a question of how gnarly your trails are

I think the differences in model years ate paint, sizing changes and possibly newer versions of the monarch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The only differences between the 2011-2014 model years frame wise is that the soda shed a little weight each time, and the seat tube of the large grew a little bit each time as well. If the extra half inch of seat tube is going to help you, then snag a 2014. If not, the earlier models are all good. I'm riding a 2013, I did the bearings after two seasons. They didn't really need them yet but I work at a shop so we kinda just do these things.

Sodas are amazing do it all bikes. I use mine for all mountain pedal rides, shuttle days, and some jump days. I also have an NS Soda Slope now for most jump days, and a 120mm back/140mm front little carbon fiber whispy thing to kick around cross country. All that said, I only had the Soda for a season and a half and I was very happy doing EVERYTHING on it. I think they did this frame a disservice by not speccing the monarch with a climb switch on it.

A quick question for you guys running a medium frame- Would the medium be too big for someone around 5' 4"?

On an unrelated note, it looks like I'll be racing my Soda at EWS Whistler this year.... looks like there'll be some upgrades to come in the next few months boys!
    Last edited by j-t-g; 02-07-2015 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey guys,

I noticed a bit of play in the pivots near the dropout.

Does anybody know where to buy a new set in europe?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NóiNPO View Post
    Hey guys,

I noticed a bit of play in the pivots near the dropout.

Does anybody know where to buy a new set in europe?

Thanks in advance!
    I believe CRC has Soda small parts. If you're talking about the pivot points near the rear dropouts on the seat stay, it could just be that your bearings are worn out. When cartridge bearings wear out they can develop lateral play, just like they could in hubs. If that's the case, that may be all you need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFeely View Post
    Which NS Soda should I get? CRC has a 2013 FR1 (totem) Medium for a good deal. The 2014 is large but coms with the lyric coil r. I am 5'11" (180cm) and 175 lbs. Mostly want this to be a park bike.
    Same here. Which one have you picked?

Cheers,

Jan

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I just got the AIR in medium, I like my bikes lightweight, and I can always get a "spare" coil shock... or not!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have front delirium on my sodaMy NS Soda build-imag1319_burst005.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My NS Soda build-imag1322.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    If only they could take a front derailleur...
    My NS Soda build-imag1319_burst005.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Would a 27.5 wheel fit in the 2014 frame with the longest wheelbase setting? (Im not planning on running a 27.5, but I guess it would help on the resale value.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by magnflo View Post
    Would a 27.5 wheel fit in the 2014 frame with the longest wheelbase setting? (Im not planning on running a 27.5, but I guess it would help on the resale value.)
    Yes

mtbr member
    Here's a 2013 frame in 16.4" mode. A 27.5 2.35 Rock Razor fits with no mud clearance. The 2014 supposedly has more clearance in this area but I can't confirm that.

My NS Soda build-img_0060.jpg

I short shocked mine with a 7.875x2.25 shock to lower the BB to 13.6" with 27.5 wheels. In short chainstay mode, it's the most fun bike I have owned and use it as my everyday trail bike.

My NS Soda build-img_0058.jpg

I just need to find a dropper other than a Reverb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    God damn I wish they'd mske a bigger size in this frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaaa31 View Post
    God damn I wish they'd mske a bigger size in this frame.
    I know, I'm 5'11" and I have to run 90mm stem to get it to fit right. My bike replaced my Tracer 2 & Atlas. Fun bike, but I wish they would make a bigger size and drop the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazex88 View Post
    Same here. Which one have you picked?

Cheers,

Jan
    Haven't pulled the trigger as the last of the non-air ones sold out at CRC. Trying to decide between the Soda and the Banshee Darkside now...

<- My Blog

mtbr member
    I'm 6'5'' and run the Large just fine
    Feel's awesome, rides just like a DJ and also has the stability for DH/FR.

My NS Soda build-11046606_1618533365043561_2525889697185955272_n.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My NS Soda build-11037635_1618536875043210_4292439785146890164_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone try the new EVO and have thoughts? I was originally kind of turned off, but I like the metric fork on the "air". You only give up 5mm in the chainstay for 27.5 compatibility.

Debating betweeen 26" Soda FR1 with totem, the new evo with metric and 27.5, and a Banshee Darkside in 26.

<- My Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post

I short shocked mine with a 7.875x2.25 shock to lower the BB to 13.6" with 27.5 wheels. In short chainstay mode, it's the most fun bike I have owned and use it as my everyday trail bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg 
Views:	2347 
Size:	311.6 KB 
ID:	973663

I just need to find a dropper other than a Reverb.
    Very cool mod to the soda, Flip D! I would love to see what happens to the suspension travel/suspension curve if you take all air out of shock and cycle through suspension. I am pretty sure you have altered the spring rate as well as length of total travel, right? since the stroke is the same but your shock is just 1" shorter. I would assume you can bottom those 27.5 wheels out on your seat tube. can you?

EDIT: oh wait, looks like I read that wrong at first... so you actually reduced shock length by .625 inches and reduced stroke by 0.25

is this correct? that your wheel sits with bike unweighted at about the same height as a stock shocked sagged 25% and your total rear wheel travel is reduced by ~10% to around 135? I'm just talking out my ass but I assume you significantly increased the spring rate and progressiveness of your rear suspension. Stock setup is near impossible to bottom out for me...hows yours? I bet you can run your setup with a lot less air to get a nice active sag point but ramps the effe up quickly....sound right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ive been following this thread for a while and its awesome to see all the love for the Soda.

Heres my build, picture is a little old as it now has a reverb too.

Best bike ever!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My NS Soda build-10917831_10155125951760273_7051402471531907487_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    is this correct? that your wheel sits with bike unweighted at about the same height as a stock shocked sagged 25% and your total rear wheel travel is reduced by ~10% to around 135? I'm just talking out my ass but I assume you significantly increased the spring rate and progressiveness of your rear suspension. Stock setup is near impossible to bottom out for me...hows yours? I bet you can run your setup with a lot less air to get a nice active sag point but ramps the effe up quickly....sound right?

I'd love to hear back from this guy, this is the most interesting thing that's happened in this thread like ever.

mtbr member
    So I got my soda in mini DH mode last night.

http://i.imgur.com/138ZBvN.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/t0O04FQ.jpg ...file too large for mtbr

I noticed my trusty monarch has been running since whenever this thread started, and its last service was Sept 2013.

I have decided to upgrade rather than spend the coin to service it.

Its between the newer monarch plus, with the rc3 and debonair OR a few year old but freshly serviced CCDB Air (no climb switch). For me, the option for pedal platform is important but something I could do without as I have done since I bough it.

Anyone have some thoughts to offer up on these two shocks on the soda?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've heard of people having issues fitting the ccdb air in long travel mode With the xv can, it seems some say it fits and some say it doesnt.

mtbr member
    I've heard of people having issues fitting the ccdb air in long travel mode With the xv can, it seems some say it fits and some say it doesnt.
    uh oh. whats the xv can? I just bought a ccdb air. pre-Climb Switch model. Went that route mainly because my favorite suspension tuning company had a refurbished one on sale

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It increases the volume of the air can yo combat suspension designs that ramp up at the end of their stroke. People have reported issues of not being able to use all of the travel in short travel mode.

mtbr member
    I ran ccdb switch in both long and short travel mode with the xv air can on a 2012. With no problems and the bike worked awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Awesome, I think I'm debating between a vivid air or a ccdb air for my soda.

mtbr member
    I ran ccdb switch in both long and short travel mode with the xv air can on a 2012. With no problems and the bike worked awesome.
    Good to know. Did you try it with just the regular air can, too? I think thats what mine is but I'll need to double check.

Pretty much went with it since my favorite local suspension tuning company had it.

I wonder how bad the ramp up is for those that dont have the XV can. The soda is pretty hard to bottom out as it is, so I suppose at progressive can could exacerbate this.

I know with the monarch, full travel does indeed mean o-ring off the shaft (the only way to be sure is to compress without any air and see how far it goes). And I only managed to do that literally once or twice.

anyways, would love to hear more feedback on this shock on the soda.

oh, Electrin, may be neither here nor there for you, but I was asking my suspension guy about vivids and hes not a fan. Basically said he really doesnt feel good working on them.

Truthfully, I think a monarch plus with rc3 and debonair with the MM tune would be ideal, but cant find one in same condition at same price right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was going to aske my local guy what he'd recommend as I'm looking at a few other options as well.

mtbr member
    Good to know. Did you try it with just the regular air can, too? I think thats what mine is but I'll need to double check.

Pretty much went with it since my favorite local suspension tuning company had it.

I wonder how bad the ramp up is for those that dont have the XV can. The soda is pretty hard to bottom out as it is, so I suppose at progressive can could exacerbate this.

I know with the monarch, full travel does indeed mean o-ring off the shaft (the only way to be sure is to compress without any air and see how far it goes). And I only managed to do that literally once or twice.

anyways, would love to hear more feedback on this shock on the soda.

oh, Electrin, may be neither here nor there for you, but I was asking my suspension guy about vivids and hes not a fan. Basically said he really doesnt feel good working on them.

Truthfully, I think a monarch plus with rc3 and debonair with the MM tune would be ideal, but cant find one in same condition at same price right now.
    As far as I can remember the standard can worked good. Check out cane creeks db lounge and you will find posts on the soda including some of mine.

mtbr member
    As far as I can remember the standard can worked good. Check out cane creeks db lounge and you will find posts on the soda including some of mine.
    yeah, that was part of the problem. there was a bit of a chat about it but not enough to sway me away from a proven platform.

I actually decided to just get the updated version of the monarch plus rc3 with debonair. I felt the bike will really benefit from the rc3 compression adjustment on climbs. The '11 monarch that came on the bike performed so great I wanted to stick with tried and true.

The one im getting has the ML tune as opposed to the MM tune that comes stock, but hopefully that wont matter too much.

Edit: I am betting that the debonair can upgrade will be a welcome addition to the progressive curve on our bikes. Anyone have a one on a soda?

mtbr member
    yeah, that was part of the problem. there was a bit of a chat about it but not enough to sway me away from a proven platform.

I actually decided to just get the updated version of the monarch plus rc3 with debonair. I felt the bike will really benefit from the rc3 compression adjustment on climbs. The '11 monarch that came on the bike performed so great I wanted to stick with tried and true.

The one im getting has the ML tune as opposed to the MM tune that comes stock, but hopefully that wont matter too much.

Edit: I am betting that the debonair can upgrade will be a welcome addition to the progressive curve on our bikes. Anyone have a one on a soda?
    No the ccdb is prob the best shock for the soda hands down because of the adjustability I just couldn't remember if I needed the xv can or not I think I posted some things about it on "the lounge" and changing the tune around on the shock will make a big difference. talk to ns bikes and see what they say about the m/m tune

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hey, I've been eyeing this bike. However I would like some answers about it first. I am going to be doing DH racing, and I was wondering if this bike would be able to take that abuse, and still be competitive. Also, with DH air shocks, long chainstays, and long travel, would it be able to be pedaled. But how would it stand at a DH race?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm going to go with probably not? Yeah you could pedal it and yeah it can handle all the downhill stuff, but it's nowhere near a race bike It can take the abuse but it has a short wheelbase and chainstays leading to a less stable ride at speed.

I've been thinking about that fellow's 650b mod. What if you kept it in long chainstay, went up to 650b, short shocked it to get the bottom bracket down and then flipped the chip in to long travel mode to get back to ~150mm travel... could be cool. I'd totally try it if lyriks could fit 650b.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm looking at getting an air shock for my soda, 2012 fr1, and was wondering if you guys have any recommendations. My top choice right now is an x fusion vector hlr air.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at getting an air shock for my soda, 2012 fr1, and was wondering if you guys have any recommendations. My top choice right now is an x fusion vector hlr air.
    I dont think you can really go wrong. I'm happy with my upgraded monarch even with the Low compression tune (as opposed to Med stock tunes). I'm glad to have a shock with the rc3 switch for climbing.

Tuning a soda is pretty simple. I think any good shock that fits well in the frame will be easy to tune to ride awesome on the soda.

Im inclined towards RS over Xfusion because I've owned and enjoyed several monarchs and it seems like they're the company with the best and most popular suspension out now, but that has nothing to do with the soda. They have some cool new stuff designed into these new monarchs. The rapid recovery damping and debonair air chamber are both noticeable improvements vs past monarchs I've had.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the input. It's definitely between the xfusion and the monarch at this point. Probably going to come down to which ever one is the cheapest since I'm a poor high school student.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ok guys in another matter of this same bike (soda air fr) what is the chain stay / travel set up combination, that you guys prefer, for what kind of riding and do you change it often? I am riding it in short stay, short travel, for all mountain, but I did the same for bike park (dh) and noticed some shaking at high speeds

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I keep mine in short stays short travel always unless I'm riding actual dh trails. Next time I'm up at whistler I'm thinking of trying the jump lines in short travel and stays

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Soda build?

Hi all, I've been following this thread for a while and studying this bike while searching for the best deal. Great info here and would say easily the best online, keep it up and I will put in my 5 cents worth when I get my one, and the time has come, in a few weeks I will take the plunge and become a proud soda owner!

The reason I have chosen this bike is obviously for adjustability and dual crown compatibility, I love riding downhill but many people I ride with ride trails. My plan is to change my parts from my downhill bike onto this frame, buy a trailmaster wheelset and conversion to run my 83mm saint BB. I have a float 36 for trail duties and will buy a coil (maybe vivid) to pair with my boxxers for DH.

Anyhow, my questions are this,

1 - I have found a 2012 frame and shock for a bargain! Size large. I am close to
    200lb and 6 foot tall and can notice the 2012 seat tube angle and length are
    quite different to 2014 model. The 2014 model looks more pedal friendly, any
    comments? I am saving $500AU by buying an old frame and will I really notice
    the difference in pedal-ability?

2 - The headset accessories which come with the frame, is it just two different
    crown races and lower bearings? If both my steerers are 1 1/8 will I be
    changing my crown race over each time? Would I be better off finding a single
    crown with tapered steerer so whenever I change it would be more straight
    forward?

3 - This is probably a stupid question, I have a near new set of Deetrax with a
    135x10mm nut up axle. Soda manual states this rear wheel won't fit, anyone
    know if there is anyway to make this fit? Otherwise I have two options, buy a
    new rear jumping flea hub to suit this frame so I can use my DH wheelset
    (hubs are quite expensive). Or buy a new trailmaster2 wheelset, anyone know
    the quality or have feedback on this wheelset?

Really excited about building up this frame, I hope I won't be disappointed and hope it fits me well!

Cheers guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For your first question, I'm about the same weight and height and have a 2012 frame. It pedals decently if you sit and spin but mashing has some bob, this is also with a coil rear shock that has a spring that it too light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    For your first question, I'm about the same weight and height and have a 2012 frame. It pedals decently if you sit and spin but mashing has some bob, this is also with a coil rear shock that has a spring that it too light.
    Are you happy with the frame Electrin, and the build? Do you know the bike weight? Thanks for your feedback, I've never owned a full sus for anything other than DH.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm extremely happy with the frame. It's the standard fr1 build but has a metric instead of the stock totem. I'm also about to buy an air shock for the rear so that should lighten up the build and make climbing a little easier. I don't know the weight but I will get it once the air shock is on it. Personally I feel like 6' is the perfect height, it feels really good in the air. Definitely one of the funniest bikes I've been on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yea, sweet, FR1 is a good build for sure. Interesting you say it still pedals ok with one of the heaviest builds. I think that stock build has the trail-master wheel set, are they good wheels? Your like of this bike gives me confidence I am making the right choice, can't wait!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The trail master wheel set is great. I've only had to re true it once and that is good for how I treat my wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skinag@hotmail.com View Post
    I have a float 36 for trail duties and will buy a coil (maybe vivid) to pair with my boxxers for DH.
    Sorry to disappoint, but that sounds like an absurd amount of work. My recommendation would be to get a quality air shock with a lockout like a Monarch plus and just leave it. I've got a 2013 Monarch plus on mine and it handles bike park laps just fine out here in BC. Newer DeBoner or vivid air cans would just work better.

As for swapping forks, it's not something I'd want to be doing a lot. I had two wheelsets for my soda for awhile, one for pedalling and one for bike park laps and even that was too much work. I liked my Flow Ex's, as they were strong and wide enough to do everything and light enough to keep on all the time.

I am close to
    200lb and 6 foot tall and can notice the 2012 seat tube angle and length are
    quite different to 2014 model. The 2014 model looks more pedal friendly, any
    comments?
    The only real difference you'll notice in pedaling is that the 2012 model is a fair bit smaller in many dimensions than the 2014. At 6 ft you may find it on the small size. At 6' 2" I found my 2013 (bigger than a 2012 but smaller than a 2014) to be on the short side but manageable after I got used to it. If you snagged a shock with a climb switch you should be good to go if you get used to the size of the bike.

If both my steerers are 1 1/8 will I be
    changing my crown race over each time? Would I be better off finding a single
    crown with tapered steerer so whenever I change it would be more straight
    forward?
    Rather than go through all the hassle of changing a crown race, just buy another. The FSA headset that comes with the frame isn't a particularly expensive one and its quite common. You should be able to find another 1 1/8 race no problem.
    3 - This is probably a stupid question, I have a near new set of Deetrax with a
    135x10mm nut up axle. Soda manual states this rear wheel won't fit, anyone
    know if there is anyway to make this fit?
    135x10 bolt on hubs should fit, provided you have both sets of dropouts. Maybe yours is different, but the frame has interchangeable dropouts for both 135x10 and 135x12.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hi j-t-g, thanks for your comments, it's good to get other peoples perspective who have experience with this bike. Maybe you are right about the suspension changes, there are a few downhill tracks here that are easily over five minutes long and was concerned about overheating the factory shock? I think it's better to just try and see, not like I'm taking 20 foot drops or anything.
    My Deetrax axle is a nut up not bolt up, so I was concerned that I couldn't get it in between the chain stays, even with the drop outs removed. If I could remove the axle there would be no drama.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Skinag, I'll play devil's advocate, here, with his comments about the level of effort vs reward in changing parts out on the soda...

I switch between a full on freeride/mini dh setup and more of an AM setup. Mainly I swap forks, tires, dropper post or not, maybe a few other minor changes im not thinking of. It is well worth it! Two completely different bikes and the range of riding you can do with 2 very different setups on this frame is amazing! However, I will say that I tend to only do the swap 2x per year: I keep it in DH mode all summer and early Fall while the resort's lifts are spinning and then swap it back to AM/pedalable mode for the Fall and Winter seasons. I have enjoyed short chainstay mode in past but leave it long these days so I dont need to change chains or do that task. EDIT: I guess the key info here is that I have a lighter weight trailbike that makes it such that I can do without the soda being pedalable all summer.

I think JTG has you covered on the other answers. But to toss my thougts: it all comes down to is that seat tube long enough for you. You'll be fine with the TT and reach length. It is the same size bearing you'll just get another crown race for $10 and never have to do that annoying swap. And, yes, you'll be good on that axle config...if you are buying used, make sure seller has that dropout component or you'll have to source one (still shouldnt be too hard...I still have mine and prob wont ever use if you really get into a pinch).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i notice the effective and actual top tube + reach on the NS SODA FR is really short compared with other bikes. Do you feel too short when u pedal it seated ?

looks like the large is on par with mediums from other brands for those measurements.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi guys I have had a 2013 ns soda for a few years now. I love it. I can't afford to up date but after riding a loan 650 reign for a weekend, I'm going to try putting 650b wheels on the soda. I've tried my mates wheels and they fit. I've already got a 650b pike fork on it. I've ordered some 40mm wide nextie rims and will have them on over the next 4 weeks. Has anyone else put 650b wheels on the 26 inch soda frame? ...............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muttongun View Post
    Hi guys I have had a 2013 ns soda for a few years now. I love it. I can't afford to up date but after riding a loan 650 reign for a weekend, I'm going to try putting 650b wheels on the soda. I've tried my mates wheels and they fit. I've already got a 650b pike fork on it. I've ordered some 40mm wide nextie rims and will have them on over the next 4 weeks. Has anyone else put 650b wheels on the 26 inch soda frame? ...............
    Yeah look back in this thread and a fella short shocked his soda with mid wheels pretty cool

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 51